2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Columbus Uncle Rusty - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus Uncle Rusty
No picture uploaded.

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.50% ABV

Part of the hop odyssey.

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 04-02-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 29 | Reviews: 13 | Show All Ratings:
ppoitras

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Screw-top growler received in trade from bb8189. Thanks for the opportunity to fill in the GATM gap in my life for a bit, Brian!

First imperial pint pours with a 1/2" orangey tan head, over the cloudy red brew. Head falls slowly, with sticky lacing. Aroma is prickly green hops. Taste starts malty, goes citrus for a moment, then comes at it full on with piney bitterness, rounded by some alcohol. Mouthfeel is soft over the tongue, with chewy body, and drinkability is great. Glad I got to try this limited offering, nice one.

04-15-2011 20:55:42 | More by ppoitras
prototypic

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Uncle Rusty is the 4th installment in the 2010 Hop Odyssey series.

It pours a deep copper color and is moderately hazy. Backlighting gives it a deep red look. An off-white head tops it off. It rises to about a finger before trailing off. Lacing is sticky, but rather light in terms of volume.

The nose is very impressive. Hops seem to be front and center, but are buttressed by a healthy amount of malt. The hops smell primarily citric. Grapefruit, pineapple, and orange are all easily noted. Sweet caramel malt fights for airtime, and puts forth a valiant effort. They definitely give it a nice sweet scent. Ultimately, hops carry the day here. I was hopeful that this wouldn't be balanced, and it smells like my hopes will be realized. Alcohol doesn't come through very strong. This smells right up my alley for an Imperial Red. I'm impressed.

Wow. Columbus Brewing knocked it out of the park with this one. The flavor profile kicks off with an aggressive hop attack. The hops are citric, and have the usual grapefruit, pineapple, and orange flavors. There's a bit of pine, as well. It's very bitter and a little resiny. Caramel malt adds a bit of a sweet flavor, and works hard to balance things out. But, the hop force is very strong with this one. The delicious hop flavor and bitter bite continue to wreak havoc on the palate. I'm thoroughly impressed. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but is masked pretty well for 9%. I wouldn't have guessed it to be that strong. It finishes bitter and dry.

Uncle Rusty has a medium body. Carbonation feels light and doesn't impede the feel. It's smooth and easy drinking. Drinkability is very high. This stuff goes down too easy for a beer of its stature. I'll plow through a good bit of the growler tonight, though I'm nearly certain I won't finish it. I'm really enjoying it.

I really like the approach Columbus Brewing took with Uncle Rusty. It's an aggressive, hoppy Imperial Red. Too often, breweries go for balance with this style. I prefer the viscious hop attack, and that's exactly what this is. I really don't have any complaints about it. To my surprise, this is every bit as good as the Black IPA that was released earlier this year. Go grab some while it's available. You won't be sorry.

04-03-2010 02:33:29 | More by prototypic
Ryan011235

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap in a pint glass at the brewpub on 4/1/10

Uncle Rusty certainly looks the part with deep hues amber & copper; a few crimson highlights shine through. It's rather cloudy with a good haziness to it. The resulted in one finger of tan head, which recedes to a thin skim after several minutes. Retention is minimal throughout. Lacing is good at the start but dries up well before the end of the glass.

In what appears to be the Hop Odyssey norm this smells very tropical; indeed, the aroma decidedly citrus: grapefruit & tangerine mostly with stray notes of pineapple & a few hints of orange peel. Also present is a floral quality that is a welcomed addition. While it's hoppy & seems juicy overall, warmth brings out more apparent malts: notes of caramel & a few notions of dark fruits - plum & a touch of raisin.

The flavor is that of bold hops without being harsh, spicy or overly bitter. The bitterness that is to be had is mostly manifest of the finish. The hop profile instead is slow to excite, though it's no less potent for it. Dense citrus notes are reinforced with a reasonable amount of piney stickiness. The citrus notes are less distinct owing, I reckon, to the manner in which the ingredients blend. For the most part the hop & malt bills appear well-integrated. While there are notable swaths of caramel, I was actually expecting a little more. Undertones of dark fruit & hints of toasted bread. Just the slightest notion of solvent has an almost numbing effect but isn't too bad.

Uncle Rusty is on the heavier side of medium bodied. A mentioned above, it is very resinous & sticky which causes the lingering bitterness on the finish to be exacerbated. No alcohol heat is apparent to taste but this beer is undoubtedly warming. Moderate carbonation is prickly upfront but mellows toward the middle.

On the whole, I think Uncle Rusty is pretty solid. Though different than what I expected, I'm not disappointed. I just think it needs a few tweaks to really stand out in the "imperial red crowd."

~~

Second considerations after having a few pints at Bodega on 4/20/10

S - Sticky hop oils (of the tropical fare) are more apparent. Toasted caramel blends with the hops in a wispy fashion. A few notes of plum & brown sugar. Flowery hop notes seem to resemble nicer cannabis, which I've found to be quite befitting imperial reds.

T - Moderate bitterness, opting instead for juicy hop flavor. I'm impressed with how well the hops & malts have settled over the past few weeks. The bitterness is augmented by a distinct dryness.

Overall impression - I'm much more impressed with Uncle Rusty the second time around. This is a beer that has really come into its own.

04-28-2010 00:10:14 | More by Ryan011235
nrbw23

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap at Bodega.

A- Pours a murky reddish color with an off white creamy colored head. A good amount of lacing is left behind.

S- Hops seem to jump out at me. I'm mainly picking up citrus hops every where here. Just a bit of caramel malts are coming through.

T- Alcohol taste is hardly noticable. This brew seems to be dominated by hops. Again the citrus flavor jumps out. A touch of sweet malts comes in at the end. Very nice brew here.

M- Right at medium in body and carbonation seems to be right on too.

D- I think this one might sneak up on a few people. I like what they have going on here with this one. Very easy to drink and I'm looking forward to their next one.

04-13-2010 08:28:22 | More by nrbw23
MbpBugeye

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

The Columbus Brewing Hop Odyssey has not really let me down thus far so I hurried home from work tonight to fill my growler. For some reason this one is more expensive. $19 and some change for the growler, $6 for a pint. The bartender told me this one clocks in at around 9% ABV.

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.
A- Deep "rusty" red color. Semi hazed, its obviously unfiltered. An off white, yellowish head forms but quickly fades to a small film. Its pretty sticky and is throwing all kinds of lace.

S- Sort of weak. This is a live review of my second glass so the growler isnt too cold but the bouquet still hasnt opened up too much more. Im getting a pretty good balance between caramel malts and citrus hops. As far as I can tell this Hop Odyssey so far has been using the same hops each time. The hops here smell very reminiscent of Creeper. Not that that is a bad thing, I prefer fruity and citric hops. Very tropical and fruity. Lots of oranges, pineapple and grapefruit.

T- At first you think this is going to be pretty balanced but halfway through a sip you realize it is way more hop forward. This might be one of the more bitter American reds Ive had. It overthrows Cascazilla. Unfortunately a lot of that wonderful tropical fruitiness thats in the nose (and a couple of the past beers in this series) is lost. You get a pretty potent medicinal, resinous hop taste. This is slightly balanced by that caramel malt.
EDIT: Having another glass. The growler made it through the night just fine. Upon revisiting this beer, I had to readjust my score for the taste. While I stand behind my remarks about a medicnial finish, the hops to retain plenty of that delicious pineapple and grapefruit citric bittersweetness.
M- Mild, yet still biting, carbonation. It finishes with a lingering, oily hoppy taste. Not sticky but not dry.

D- The ABV really is not officially calculated on the beers in this series (correct me if I am wrong), they just throw out a ballpark. This one drinks like a beer way lower than it is though. I am enjoying this beer, as I do everything from CBC, but unless you prefer a more medicinal, astringent hop profile, then one or two pints will do you.

So far we are 4 down in this Odyssey. Creeper was my favorite (I REEAAALY wish I had some more right now). I would say this might be my least favorite. Nonetheless it is a solid beer and I feel lucky to have the easy opportunity to try it. I will be anxiously awaiting Rhapsody next month.
EDIT: This beer has really grown on me after only two glasses. This has never been a style that impressed me, but this beer stands out.

04-02-2010 04:37:27 | More by MbpBugeye
AleWatcher

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%

An unlabeled bottle courtesy of MbpBugeye.
Thanks Seth! (January shoelaces are yellow!)

Served in a snifter while enjoying a Futurama movie... Good times.

This beer is super dark-- like deep purple, plum, almost brown it's so dark red... Awesome lacing and retention.
Smells a bit like an aged barleywine-- lots of sweet malts, some dark fruit notes, and a big booziness.
The taste follows the nose with a big sweetness. Light bitterness on the finish, but the boozy dryness overpowers all else.

The body is velvety like cola-- lots of carbonation and lots of sticky sugar that coats my teeth.

The beer is pretty drinkable, albeit not exactly what I would have expected. Lots of flavor, decent body, just a touch to boozy to be a good amber ale...

05-15-2011 03:09:31 | More by AleWatcher
PDXHops

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into an oversized snifter. Handsome see-thru molasses body with amber highlights, topped by a finger and then some of creamy head. Nice retention in spite of the wide glass, and the remnants are continually fed by visual streams of carbonation. Soapy lacing up top, spattery patches below.

Citric hops smells abound, but a more elusive fruitiness- tart apple, perhaps- combines with bready malts and brown sugar in a combo that calls to mind something tasty baking in the oven. Very much a hop-forward nose overall, though.

Maltiness is fairly robust, not at all heavy, thanks in no small part to the savage current of bitterness ripping through it. Pine isn't shy, but citrus hop flavors rule the day. Toast with real apple butter (not the supermarket crap). For what I assume is a fairly sturdy ABV, it's amazingly nimble, finishing clean and almost quenching in it's juiciness.

Overall impression: Yet another awesome hoppy brew from CBC. Textbook example of "dangerously drinkable".

05-20-2011 01:35:40 | More by PDXHops
Spider889

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Review from notes 4/8/2011.

Very dark in color, almost purple at times. Not much head, served into a tulip glass. Left a very good honeycomb of lace despite the lack of head. What a nice surprise.

Smells quite sweet and hoppy. Lots of citrusy orange and mango. The hops remind me of both CIPA and Creeper.

The taste is bitter up front with a crisp fresh hop flavor. There's plenty of pine along with a sweet caramel malt backbone.

Slick on the way down, but overall bone dry. Medium body and carbonation.

Overall another solid offering by CBC.

06-05-2011 05:08:01 | More by Spider889
ONUMello

Poured from a growler into a pint glass
A: Transparent brown with a reddish tint, one-finger head
S: I swear I'm smelling maple, also malt, earth and a nice dose of hops
T: Packed full of both malt & hops yet remains balanced. I'm not picking up anything terribly specific, just tasty & structured
M: Full-bodied, seems a bit sweet but that's well balanced with bitter hops
O: Solid beer, very enjoyable. I'm apparently not quite as in love with it as the majority, I for me it would be improved if it were slightly less sweet and I could taste specific notes. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to get it again

03-23-2014 03:55:16 | More by ONUMello
zimm421

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a tulip. Appears a dark, copper, slightly amber color, with a decent off-white head. The head sticks around for a bit, never completely dissipating, and leaves a decent lacing.

The nose is deep and complex, and smells wonderful. Lots of good caramel in the malt backbone, placing some nice sweetness in the nose. The hops then quickly come through, with lots of citrus and tropical fruit. The taste is full of the caramel malt, pineapple and citrus. The alcohol is wonderfully masked, and I just keep going back for more.

The mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied, with good carbonation levels, and doesn't finish overly sticky. Overall, this is a great beer, that is wonderfully complex, and keeps you coming back for more. The sweet undertones work well with the bitter, topical and citrus hops. This is another great offering from CBC, can't believe I haven't reviewed it before.

03-16-2014 01:25:07 | More by zimm421
crashdavisinoh

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Had on tap at CBC. Part of their hop odysey...

A-dark red, copperesque...amber...sexy.

S-smells citrusy...grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, orange and hoppy....

T-Hell to the yes. Hop heaven. Very hoppy...bitter goodness that cbc is known the country over for. Citrus flavors that appear in the smell are very present in taste as well. I can't detect any alcohol...which is DANGEROUS with something this tasty.

M-medium carbonation...not too much...not lacking either. Perfect for this beer. Smooth. Again...b/c it is so smooth...this leads to danger.

O-My second favorite from the hop odysey so far...only behind the arnold. Cannot wait to see what comes next in this hop adventure.

06-28-2011 20:26:03 | More by crashdavisinoh
2Stout4u

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

My favorite of the series so far. This red kicked some major ass. The deep mahogany color is one of the most attractive colors in all of beerdom. The smell is great but nothing compared to the taste. This beer should be the new standard for all reds. Complex, big hops, malt backbone, flavor flavor flavor, and a nice bitter bite to finish. Masterpiece! My only knock is this beer is a one timer... or is it? Please Eric at least make this one once a season. Long live CBC!!

05-13-2010 20:45:39 | More by 2Stout4u
BillBabbitt

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

I've tasted hundreds of beers, but I wouldn't consider myself a tasting expert, but Uncle Rusty is in my Top Ten all time. What I considered a perfect balance of malt and hops. I like hoppy ales, and this delivers, but it also has a nice under tone of sweetness from the malt.

04-10-2013 20:29:38 | More by BillBabbitt