Columbus Hungry, Hungry Hefe - Columbus Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Hefeweizen |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: prototypic on 07-02-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
ianranderson

4.65/5  rDev +16%

I have to say this may be the perfect summer beer. I have found myself bored with many hefes and wheat ales. They all seem to follow the same "with orange peel and coriander" formula. If you like traditional hefeweizens but not too fond of the overwhelming banana/clove/bubblegum flavors that dominate them, this beer is for you.

It poured a dark yellow almost orange with light carbonation. You can really smell the american hops. I believe it is amarillo and sorachi ace. Taste is great all hops up front, followed by a more traditional finish. The mouthful was very inviting, decent carbonation, makes you want to keep drinking. I notice that CBC has discontinued the Ohio Honey Wheat. I hope this ends up replacing because I could easily see this being my go to beer of choice.

07-28-2010 15:59:40 | More by ianranderson
Lolli1315

3.25/5  rDev -19%

A- Orange appearance with a nice white fluffy head. Holds decent, but lacing leaves you wanting a little more.

S- Yeasty smell paired with spicy cloves begins the profile as it fades into a noticeable hop aroma. Fruity smell intertwines as well. Fairly decent and gets you excited for this one a little more.

T- Taste begins with some of the tastes you would expect from a hefe; hints of banana and clove, but all these flavors are very subtle and almost watered down. About half way through there is a kick of hops and citrus, but not a dominating or highlighting profile. It seems as if this is a beer that is caught in the middle of two genres and can't quite decide which way it should go.

M- Nice smooth and pleasant. Maybe could use a little more carboantion

D- Not that this is hard to drink, but it doesn't really leave you wanting that next sip.

Notes: Alright beer, but in my opinion just another try at throwing in hops into another style without much else behind it.

07-18-2010 21:44:58 | More by Lolli1315
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Probably my favorite beer I tried on the whole trip to Columbus, this beer had everything I like about a German hefewiezen with loads of American hops. There was mild clove, strong leafy citrus green hops in the nose. A touch of banana that was overshadowed by the American hop addition. It was a hybrid IPA/hefe and I loved it. Poured a golden orange clouded body wit a large white head, nice even layers of lacing wrapped around my pint glass. Flavor was upfront with bitterness but it allowed the German yeast to kick with banana and clove, citrus green herbal hop kick was ballsy. I loved this version of a hoppy hefe. Mouthfeel was effervescent a bit more body than your average hefe, and a bit higher in abv so right there I see there's more malt kickin in this version. Drinkability was incredible each sip created a different mix of flavors and perceptive qualities on my palate, I could have stuck with this one all night.

07-18-2010 16:32:28 | More by WVbeergeek
Ryan011235

3.93/5  rDev -2%

On tap in a pint glass at the brewpub on 7/10/10

This is a very cloudy beer - amber/orange with hazy pineapple highlights. Poured a 1/3rd inch off-white foam that thins a touch, though it seems content to hang around for a while. Small bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Consistently thin retention & very impressive lace.

The aroma is standard hoppy CBC fare, not surprising as this is brewed with American hops (of course, this isn't exactly a bad thing). This smells even juicier than usual, perhaps. Tropical citrus - pineapple, grapefruit, lemon zest & orange. Other light fruits appear to be present - hints of banana & apple. Though lacking an assertive malt backbone, there is a nice, toasted wheat, slightly grainy offset.

Again no surprise, the taste is pretty much in line with the aroma. However, there are a few differences; namely, the juicy aspect seems downplayed. Sure, there is plenty citrus - grapefruit, orange peel & lemon - but it's far spicier than the nose implies. Similarly, there are touches of apple, but I'm not picking out any banana. Maybe a hint of mango? Maybe a little clove; seems like it as the beer warms. Juiciness picks up as it warms. Appropriately dry. More in line with the style, wheat notes & toasty malts have greater prominence. Quite good; maybe too much for the style - hops definitely run the game.

Medium-light body. Carbonation is somewhat prickly; I'd say close to spot on for the style. Overall, very crisp with a pretty clean finish. Citrus zest & toasted wheat notes linger for a moment or two.

I can't fault the drinkability of Hungry, Hungry Hefe. It's an incredibly easy drinker, especially considering the hops (not an issue for hopheads like me, but maybe for some folks). No doubt this is testing the definition of the style. Welcome to CBC.

07-13-2010 01:12:08 | More by Ryan011235
nrbw23

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Pours a dirty, hazy golden orange color with a nice white head. Pretty good sized head too, goes away pretty quick and leaves some spotty lacing here. Quite a bit of sediment here too. When I finally killed my grolwer I had a pretty good amount of stuff in the bottom.

S- Can clearly pick up some hops in here mainly tropical fruit types. Spice, yeast and grainy/bready smell too. It seems like a Hefe but different.

T- I thought this one was pretty solid. Hops add a pretty cool twist to this one. It follows the nose pretty well.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- I thought this one was very good. Very easy to drink and enjoyable.

07-06-2010 08:11:29 | More by nrbw23
MbpBugeye

3.85/5  rDev -4%

July marks the 7th beer in the Hop Odyssey. Im glad to see a Hefeweizen be placed in the dog days of summer. Just in time for the 4th. But I must say I have apprehensions about this beer. I think the addition of lots of American hops goes directly against this style, but we will soon see how it works out...

A- Im relieved to see that this beer is uber turbid. It is a bit dark, hovering around burnt orange and wet sand. Also Im glad to see that the beer has a nice dense foam head. It doesnt stick around for very long, it fades to about 1/8th of its original size, but it leaves tons of lacing. So far everything seems in order here, if only it werent a tad too dark.

S- Its a spicy one for sure. And, as Proto said, its underpowered. I did, however, get a touch of banana, but then it was gone. Only a fleeting glimpse of one of my favorite notes that should come standard in a hefeweizen. I keep looking for it, I want to find it again. Its difficult, but I can track it down some times. The timid banana comes with some nuttiness and breadiness in toe. But the most dominant thing is clove and spice. Theres lots of orange and pineapple. Its the typical CBC hop smell. The wheat clashes with the yeast and creates a wet dog and baby food thing.
The smell isnt horrible. Its far from traditional (duh) but still quite complex.

T- The taste is a bit weak, just like the nose. It starts off like a wet blanket. Just even and kinda bland with a touch of bubblegum. It saves itself though. As I swallow it starts to wake up. Clove, spicy/snappy wheat, nutty yeast (with that fleeting banana if you look hard enough) then the hops. They are very typical to CBC. Loads of pineapple with a piney finish. Its nice but two worlds are colliding.

M- Nice and smooth. Very fluffy. You can feel the turbidity of it. Carbonation dies out quickly.

D- Easy drinking but its a beer with a split personality. Leave the American hops for American hoppy beers.

07-02-2010 03:36:29 | More by MbpBugeye
prototypic

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Hungry, Hungry Hefe is the 7th installment of the Hop Odyssey series.

It's almost a golden brown color. Looks a tad dark for Hefe. On the other hand, the heavy cloud of haze is spot-on for a Hefe. Backlighting gives it a bit of a light copper look. Most interesting. The head is white and rises to a finger and a half tall. It's quick to recede, leaving light spotty lace behind. Not bad at all, but not totally Hefe.

The nose is a tad underpowered, but is pretty good. It's interesting in that it obviously features an infusion of American hops into a German style that's generally void of hop flavor. There's a little grapefruit and pineapple, but it's not an overpowering hop presence. It smells a little earthy and grainy. Yeast is definitely noted. Light clove and pepper are in the mix, but I'm not getting any banana. That'd be a nice addition. All in all, pretty good. Add some strength and banana and it'd be a little better.

I like the flavor. It kicks off with a nice grainy flavor and earthy undertones. Hops follow shortly. They're citric and feature the typical Columbus Brewing Company hop flavors of grapefruit, pineapple, and pine. It's not very bitter and the hop flavor isn't all that strong. It seems a little bit at odds with the yeast and spices. Just my take. There's a little clove and pepper spice, but definitely not much banana. In fact, I'm not completely sure there's any. Perhaps my mind's playing tricks on me. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all. It's good, but it seems that hops might mask some of the other flavors here. It works, but it's not quite a stunner.

Hungry, Hungry Hefe has a light body that seems nearly medium with warming. Carbonation is relatively light. It is definitely smooth and easy drinking. Drinkability is quite good. It goes down nicely and has a pretty good flavor. I won't polish off the growler tonight, but I'll make a decent dent.

I was certainly intrigued when I saw that a Hefeweizen was part of the Hop Odyssey series. So how is it? It's good, but definitely isn't the best of the series. The hop flavor here masks and seems a little inconsistent with flavors generally associated with the style. The flavor is definitely good, but I am missing a strong a banana presence. Other than that, the nose is a tad weak. Definitely worth checking out. If nothing else, it's a hell of an interesting Hefe.

07-02-2010 01:14:06 | More by prototypic
Columbus Hungry, Hungry Hefe from Columbus Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.