1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Columbus Java Porter - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus Java Porter
No picture uploaded.

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 09-29-2010)
3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Got to try this at the Columbus Microbrew Fest last weekend. Sadly it was the only one of the special rotating taps of CBC's that I got to try.

Nice to see something completely different from CBC though, and on cask no less! Pours a heavy black with a tall mocha colored head.

Smelled of dark toasty malts and some mild coffee notes. The coffee could have been a little stronger on the nose for me, but this certainly did smell like an inviting porter.

Plenty of charred toast, dark bitter chocolate, and coffee flavors in this beer. In a catch-22 I had had some Founder's Breakfast Stout the night before so I had both a good baseline for comparison and at that, a baseline that set the bar way too high for this beer to ever hope to reach. The coffee tasted thick and cold brewed, I would have enjoyed a more robust and fresh flavor to it.

The beer was medium bodied for a porter, slightly chewy, and silky smooth due to the cask.

This was pretty drinkable for me though, had I not had to leave for the OSU game I would have certainly come back for a second glass of this.

Overall a great new beer from CBC. With a little tweaking (or turning this into a heavier stout version) I would gladly buy this again and again - you hear me CBC? Please make more! :-)

Spider889, Oct 03, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

This was really the only special CBC beer I got to try at the Columbus Microbrew Fest. Served from a hand pump.

S- I wouldnt say the coffee here is quite as delicious smelling as I would like it. Its getting close to that wet coffee grounds smell. All is not lost though. Some subtle chocolate notes come up from below and give the aroma a boost.

T- Coffee isnt in your face. It isnt terribly fresh tasting either. The finish is the best part though. Thats where the chocolate and coffee mingle and give it a nice smooth, creamy finish.

MbpBugeye, Sep 29, 2010
Columbus Java Porter from Columbus Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.