ΠΡ (Pyro) - Burning Brothers Brewing

Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by MattyG85:
3.71/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Surly tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. About two fingers of white head that fade into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: A fruity and fairly sweet balanced aroma. Earthy hops with some hints of grass and slight pine. Citrus fruit hints of orange, grapefruit, and lemon zest. Also some fruit hints of blueberries. Bready hints of yeast. Sweet hints of candied sugar and honey. A fairly unique and decent aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a fruity and sweet yeast and hop driven taste. Bready taste of yeast. Earthy and floral hops with notes of grass and slight pine. Citrus hops with juicy notes of grapefruit, orange, and lemon zest. Sweet taste of candied sugar and notes of honey. Also some fruit notes of blueberry. Quite different than a typical APA but decent.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Juicy, spritzy, and pretty clean and smooth.

Overall: A pretty decent brew for a gluten free beer. Far from a traditional pale ale taste but there is some nice citrus going on.

2.46/5  rDev -19.1%

This cost $11.99 for a 4-pack of 16oz cans. Let that sink in for a moment. Nutrition Facts and list of ingredients on the can. Ingredients list water, sorghum, candi sugar, hops, yeast. Pours a clear, pale amber color with one finger of head that quickly settled to barely a film. Large carbonation bubbles are really active and actually can be heard from arms length. Barely any lacing is left down the glass.

Has a bizarre grainy and fruity aroma. I was hoping this would smell more like a standard pale ale. I am finding it hard to describe the smell. A mix of blueberries, strawberries, band-aids, and antiseptic. Is this the result of sorghum, hops, sugar, or brewing techniques? Whatever it is I do not like the smell.

The flavor is not much better. It is fruity and bitter with an astringent finish. Not enjoyable. The first sip I was thinking, this is unique. But I am finding it hard to get to the bottom of the glass. Notes of berries and band-aids. The can claims the use of American hops but I have a hard time picking them out. Although it is quite bitter.

Light body but it is a little undercarbonated which is surprising considering the initial pour. Seems the life died off a little too quickly.

This beer is labeled as an APA so it will be judged as one. Lucky I am not a celiac because I would be quickly off beer if this is all I had to drink. Really expected something above average from this brewer but they may have to rely on the gluten-free aspect to sell their beer. I will not buy this again and I would need to have a sample before I buy anything else from this brewer.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First I have to say that I am a newly diagnosed Celiac so this is only the second gluten-free beer I've had. However, Pyro will be on my buy list without a doubt. This is one of the beers recommended to my by Ryan at Elevated.

A: Clear, golden and bubbly. Looks like a good crisp beer in the glass.

Smell: light fruity smell, with a hint of pine.

Taste: Citrus, pine, with some hoppy bite. Perhaps orange peel.

Mouthfeel: lightly bodied, highly carbonated. Very clean and smooth with a slight bitter after taste.

Overall: I would compare this with any good quality traditionally grained APA in level of drinking pleasure. I would recommend this to be added to any celiac's beer rotation.

Also, one of the owners of Burning Borthers has Celiac Disease and they are very strict on their brewing processes as to not contaminate the beer with gluten. I've been told that they go as far as to not allow any gluten containing substances into the brewery at all. So, not only is the beer great but it is about as safe for celiacs as they can get.

2.48/5  rDev -18.4%

Head evaporates quite quickly in the glass. Color is a light golden. Aroma is good - floral, crisp, lemony. Like others have said, though, there is a distinct bitter aftertaste that lingers in your mouth after drinking. Slightly sour flavor beforehand, but really not a lot of flavor. I didn't particularly enjoy this beer.

3.74/5  rDev +23%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I believe this is better than most give it credit for.
I nice hop aroma that is semi-sweet, not too fruity, but pleasant.
Hops in flavor are both spicy and sweet. Additionally a sweetness to the drink, which may be from the sorghum, or not, but I found it all right. Mild bitterness and minimal drying.
Moderately light feel and carbonated at average level.
This was not terrible. Won't rush out for more, but I'd have again.
Can. Thanks Spunky.

2.25/5  rDev -26%

This pours a pale yellow color with a slight foamy head. The aroma has a decent amount of hops to it. The taste is thin and light. Not a whole lot of flavor and it leaves an awkward after taste. Considering the hoppy aroma there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of hops in the flavor. Just glad I don’t have a gluten allergy as this is not very good.

4.24/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

First of all this is a gluten free beer these should really be placed and reviewed in their own category.

This beer in the signature beer for Burning Brothers a local independent craft brewery out of st. paul MN.

For a gluten free beer I have to say its over all one of the best tasting! Initially it's very loud and highly carbonated like opening a can of pop. Blonde, pours clear with a large head that settles in under a minute.

Smell: Not a very fragrant beer as may have something to do with being a APA.

Taste: Over all very drinkable. Slightly bitter in the middle of your palate finish just a bit sweet . Notes of honey, and subtle berries.

Mouthfeel: Drinks clean doesn't linger very long in your mouth.

Overall: Its expensive 12 bucks for a four pack of pint cans. When comparing to other gluten free beers out there it is one of the best choices I've ever had and I love drink so I've had them all. Love how it comes in a can because bottles cant go everywhere! I would highly recommend this to people who cant drink normal beer due to gluten in-tolerances.

to view more.