Double IPA - River Rat Brewery

Beer added by: SC_Beer_Drinker on 03-22-2014

Ratings: 39 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by herrburgess:
3.2/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - deep color, almost red. Nice head with solid retention and lacing. Very clear body.

N- surprisingly malty and sweet. Very english smelling. Boozy.

T - follows the nose heavily. Boozy and surprisingly malty. It tastes good, but not like any double ipa I've had.

M - strong and kind of warm.

O - a very good beer, but not a great double ipa. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm not sure about the bad ratings here. It's not overly hoppy, but has a nice balance of malt and hops. More of a 90 minute type double IPA. Their website even says it uses english malt and hops and has a rich malt flavor. That is what I went in expecting and was not disappointed. Not every DIPA has to be over the top hoppy.

This beer was pretty bad in my opinion...I don't really drain pour beers, but this one was an exception.

The immediate smell when I popped the 12 oz bottle was of strong sweet feed (as in what horses eat) and that pink antifungal coating some package seeds come covered in. Needless to say, before I tasted it, it made me feel like I was in a feed and seed store. After the first taste, the overly sweet malted base drowning in over bittered hops was hard to stomach and then the simple over bitter flavor dominated the palate for a solid 5 minutes after. Neither the malt nor hops were appropriate for a DIPA nor were they balanced with each other...no matter what style you could try to call it. Both my wife and I couldn't stand to take more than 3 sips and we poured it out.

2.99/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an amber color and a clear texture. There was an inch and a half of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. OK lacing.

S: A shockingly malty aroma for a DIPA, with only some traces of hops and citrus.

T: Like the smell, the taste was dominated by malt, with a decent amount of hops, and fruit. The imbalance made it a little hard to like. I'm all for deviation from the characteristics of a particular style, but this simply wasn't a great flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is simply a pretty average, wrongheaded attempt at DIPA. Could have been a lot better.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A very English style IPA...don't know where the double comes from. It's well balanced with a malty backbone, not bad...wouldn't seek out or recommend

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

Awful DIPA. There is no aroma in this beer. It falls flat. Needs a heavier dry hop for a DIPA. All I taste is booze and maybe a hint of centennial hop. Incredibly bitter which lingers and makes the beer taste more like booze. Needs a lot of improvement. I love IPA'S and this had me disapointed...

Double IPA from River Rat Brewery