2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

McEwan's Scotch Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

McEwan's Scotch AleMcEwan's Scotch Ale

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

No longer exported to the US.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-17-2001)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Ratings: 558 | Reviews: 435 | Show All Ratings:
jlindros

4.13/5  rDev +9%

I've heard all these crazy rumors that the distributor stopped shipping this to the US, a new distributor, but not, etc. Anyways, I've seen it for quite a while and still there at Mass Liquors in Worcester, MA. Either way I can still enjoy it, and I've seen quite a few people looking for it, so anyone who sees this review and looking for it send me a BM.

A: A big fluffy head rises up and over the sides of my oversized snifter glass, but just enough of a pour that it doesn't overflow the edges, just rises up over the top. It leaves a slight lacing as it fades semi slowly. the beer is super dark brown basically black with almost no light sneaking through.

N: A scotch ale definitely. Lots of dark malts, brown sugar, and more brown sugar, molasses, a slight creamy malt, a little porter like roasted malt, a little dark fruit with all that. A nice nose.

T: Starts pretty sweet, actually very sweet. Lots of brown sugar again, as the nose implied. Lots of dark fruit with that, some raisin and plum. There is even some Belgian candi sugar flavors. A little dark malt roasty flavor, crystal malts, and I think Munich malt. A slight boozy tingly tongue feel with all that and slight warming booze as a good scotch ale should have. A touch of smoked malt too. Slight fluffy malt flavor and somewhat rich as well.

M: Slightly heavier body with decent carbonation.

F: Still very sweet, but dries off quite a bit in the feel of it. Then quite a bit of brown and candi sugar flavors lingering, with more dark malts. Smoked malt, and even a little bitterness there. Chewy malt lingering as well. A very slight boozy taste on the finish, but not very much. There is a slight minerality on the roasty malt flavors too.

Almost the staple of what a typical scotch ale should be. Lots of sweetness, perhaps too much, roasty and dark malts, a little boozy quality, little smoked malts (probably could have used more), and a smooth rich texture. I can see why so many people are looking for this beer. Tasty, and I could drink this more often in winter.

06-06-2010 03:35:18 | More by jlindros
theclaudius

Quebec (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

This is a very old friend of mine ... my very first scotch ale!

Aromas of toffee, caramel and a hint of cinnamon, a rich red amber to brown color and a taste well reknowned over the world.

Simply a classic amongst the style. It is though a bit sweet for my taste now if compared to other Scotch ales and wee heavys, but always a pleasure nontheless!!!

04-07-2010 15:25:52 | More by theclaudius
Reinheitsgebot71

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

I grabbed a single of this one from one of the bins at my local LC. It went well with a nice German blue, mm salty sweet, but I digress.

Out of the bottle came the dark burgundy elixir of a very opaque nature. Manifesting atop this brew was a thick clumpy off white head which lasted reasonably well though it eventually whittled down a fine film.

On the nose were hits of sweetness right up from caramel, coffee and burnt brown sugar were all very powerful. A bready sugary cereal like smell also prevailed initially while hints of butter tart played in the background. Fruity scents crept through here and there most notably raisin, cherry and plum also were detectable.

The initial taste mirrored that of the initial smell, hits of malty sweetness abounded. Caramel and chocolate were balanced by the powdery bitterness of coco and the biting astringency of the darker malts. Dried fruit and a whisky like character added some depth. As the beer warmed the 8% ABV started to become more noticeable and the beer began to take on a cloying taste.
The feel was very smooth and soft very easy drinking.

A nice beer though it grew less pleasing as it warmed.

01-16-2010 00:08:27 | More by Reinheitsgebot71
mintjellie

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Dark mahogany with a thick topping of beige head. Good retention and spotty lace. Smells sweet and just a little bit boozy, with aromas of burnt sugar, toffee, malt bread, and dried fruit. Tastes of treacle toffee, raisins, brown sugar. Very mild coffee flavour in the background. Warming alcohol. Very sweet. Full-bodied with smooth carbonation; almost syrupy thick mouthfeel. I want to sit by the fireplace with one of these on a snowy night. Drinks like comfort food in a glass - very easy to put away, but filling and satisfying.

My first wee heavy, but hopefully not my last.

12-11-2009 18:24:45 | More by mintjellie
tatoodkelt

Maryland

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Hadnt had this one in years and heard it wasnt going to be imported any more so when I spotted a couple of bottles hiding out on a shelf at a local store I grabbed them along with one of the McEwans IPA's.

This was the first example I had of this style way back when and got me looking for more. I was definitely bummed when I heard it wont be available any more so I'm glad I scored these two.

Consumed 12/8/2009- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown that shows some ruby when held to the light. Topped off with a two finger beige head that settles slowly to a thin skim. Pretty good lacing.

S- Caramel sweet and light bread.

T- Same sweetness but a little more roasty, some dark fuit hints and maybe a little coffee but I'm not sure.

M- Medium to heavy, pretty sticky. No noticable carbination.

D- This one's a sipper for me, no more than one or two in a sitting.

12-09-2009 19:16:09 | More by tatoodkelt
Long813

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

G: Stein

A: Dark red-brown, almost opaque body with one inch tan head with pour retention, leaving pour lacing.

S: Very sweet and biscuity malts. Toffee, caramel, biscuits, and some dark fruits [frigs, raisins].

T: Just like the smell, the toffee and caramel are dominate with very subtle raisins.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Leaves a sweet toffee finish. Not bitter at all.

D: An amazing beer. This is the first I've had of this style and won't be the last. The sweet malts are not overpowering at all and the alcohol content is hidden very well.

11-24-2009 03:05:02 | More by Long813
Offa

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a smooth, easy-to-drink, yet still tasty, characterful wee heavy.

Deep red brown, not quite black, it has a medium tan head that shrinks very slowly to a permanent thin, foamy top. It leaves even rings of lace resembling icicles.

The aroma is sweet brown bread, butter, caramel, caramleized prunes, along with hints of wine and whole wheat bread.

The taste is fairly simple but rich, full-bodied, smooth and mellow. It has strong fruit, especially cherries, toast, hints of chocolate and red wine, and spices. The feel is zesty and rather lively despite light oiliness. Alcohol adds a nice, full warmth without being too evident. The result is a beer that may lack complexity of some wee heavies, but still has plenty of firm character, some complexity, and is also extremely smooth and easy to drink.

11-03-2009 19:32:08 | More by Offa
tuvok

3.45/5  rDev -9%

When I first saw this one in the LCBO I was a bit wary of the 8% ABV. I drink in moderation and am more comfortable with beers with lower ABV. With that said I decided to give it a shot as I am new to beer and am trying to taste as many styles as possible.

On to the beer . . . .

Preparation: Busted out my dollar store tulip which is recommended for this style. I also let the bottle sit on the counter for 10min to warm up a bit. Not sure what the actual temperature was before actually consuming it.

Appearance: When first poured it looked opaque and black, holding it up to the lights reveals that it is, in fact, a dark, reddish brown. The beer gave up a light tan head that dissipated soon after pouring but left traces of lace on the glass.

Smell: Hard to describe, it smelled a bit like one of the stronger alcoholic drinks like rum or whiskey. Most obvious to me was a sort of burnt sugar smell.

Taste: Sweet and malty with minimal bitterness. Flavor was a bit more pronounced as it warmed up.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied. Makes you feel more full than you would expect as you work your way through it.

Drinkability: Goes down easy as long as you respect the sweetness and alcoholic strength. This beer demands to consumed slowly as it is very rich. Taking your time also allows you to note the change in taste as it warms.

Overall: Sweet, malty, rich beer which goes down easy but can quickly overwhelm you with its strong taste and high alcohol content. Enjoyable, but I don't think I can handle it on a regular basis.

10-31-2009 05:10:50 | More by tuvok
Griffin8116

Quebec (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

A pleasant surprise. I like the chocolate-ey highlights, and it has a decent body without being a full-on stout. It has a strong taste without too strong an alcohol flavor (albeit the fact that it is 8% by volume). Will definitely be buying again (and am somewhat disappointed that as I write this I have finished my last bottle).

10-27-2009 00:40:53 | More by Griffin8116
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass on sept4 2009

A a deep ruby red when held to the light. A solid two finger tan head falls slowly to a 1/4 inch film that coats the glass with lace.

S sweet malt and molasses with a little booze, some burnt sugar and a little fruity bit I can't place

T Very sweet with molasses being what i get the most of. Other then some mild coffee and some grape it tastes as it smells and that's not a bad thing

M creamy with low carbonation, easy finish easy too enjoy

D I don't see myself drinking a 6er back too back but it's not a problem putting down one or two. I plan on drinking this in the future

09-05-2009 02:09:38 | More by wordemupg
ludachris

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Picked this up at the local NSLC since it's not available down where in the Hammer. First time trying this style, lets see how it fairs.

Pours a deep chestnut brown that you can just see through when held up to the light. One finger cream coloured head with decent retention and a small amount of lacing.

Smell of sweet roasted malts, candied chocolate, caramel, toffee and some kind of syrup. Very sweet, but not overpowering. Almost zero hop presence.

Sweet, sticky malts up front, followed by caramel, toffee some dark fruit and slightly dry roasted character at the end. Very delicious.

Mouth feel is slick and smooth and leaves your tongue coated with sweetness. Served right out of the fridge, this brew is easily drinkable.

Overall, a great brew especially if drunk as a dessert beer. Very sweet but not cloying, which is what I find to be a huge turn off with other darker coloured beers. I'm super glad I bought this and would love to have another.

08-28-2009 23:06:36 | More by ludachris
Stunner97

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance- dark black, not gonna see even a speak of light come through this sucker, nice white head of moderate thickness of the pour, nice powerful look

Smell- very sweet off the first sniff, lots of sugar caramel and molasses assault the nose, chocolate candy and all kinds of sweet malts dominate

Taste- wow this is very tasty off the first sip, some burnt malts and coffee notes off first sip, tastes like a stout maybe even and oatmeal stout in profile, though kind of lighter still then thickness of some stouts in flavor, nice sweet malts and flavor, very full and rich long finish, very nice complex flavor almost like slight port finish, hmm, just very nice complex flavor super enjoyable,

Mouthfeel- medium to full bodied, very creamy and smooth,

Drinkability- the alcohol is big and yet hidden, but this is a massive goliath of a beer and a definite sipper, it feels bigger and bigger to you as you go but its a very enjoyable beer, the flavor has a beautiful complexity and a great length, I really have to say i liked this beer very much so its a tad depressing knowing that I have just about the last one shipped to the US, but i guess i will have to hunt out similar examples of the style, if you can get this near you surely worth a try

08-27-2009 05:52:18 | More by Stunner97
ThaBobfather

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a dark bark color with a light cream medium head topping.
Smells got some sweet malts and maybe a burnt syrup character.
Taste starts with bold malt, is sustained by a syrup/candied taste, and finishes with a bit of spiced bitter.
Finish is crisp with a very sweet, sugar malt after-taste.
Drinks very smooth, the thick/chewy body still goes down great.

07-03-2009 00:45:34 | More by ThaBobfather
seand

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured at a medium speed into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a dark translucent reddish brown, with 2 fingers or so of creamy light tan head. Retention and lacing are both solid.

S: Brown sugar, caramel, and creamy alcohol.

T: Quite sweet, almost like a syrupy stout, with a tinge of bitterness.

M: A little syrupy, full bodied, medium carbonation level.

D: Not hard to drink, but not necessarily a standout here.

06-03-2009 03:18:26 | More by seand
theAlaskan

Alaska

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Stumbled onto this one and figured, why not. Served in a pint glass.

A: has a very deep brown/ mahogany color. Even after a rather vigorous pour, I was barely able to coax a 2 finger head, which promptly fell to a nice film on the surface in the time it took me to walk from my kitchen to my computer upstairs.

S: Really not much to write home about. Granted, I don't have the best nose, I still didn't get much. I got some wonderful roasty malts, a little coffee, and just the barest hints of hops... I might even be imagining it.

T: This is where it's all at!!! Right off there's a creaminess that is reminiscent of an oatmeal stout, deep, rich chocolaty flavors, coffee notes, a burnt/ smoky flavor that actually adds a lot to the taste, and some caramel/ brown sugar like sweetness

M: wonderfully thick, not for those turned off by dark, thick, viscous beers. carbonation starts off a hair prickly, right on the border of being too much. Then it slowly fades and gradually reveals the many layers of flavor. leaves a rather sticky coating that is really sweet.

D: Very drinkable, goes down really easy. at 8% it's about twice what you would call a session beer.... so if this WERE to be your session beer, you session would end very, very fast.

O: Friggin Scot's and their "Wee heavy", "wee" heavy my ass... this thing packs a punch that you won't feel till its too late if you're not careful (which I wasn't). My father is not one to mooch and for the most part, is indifferent to most of the beers that I get, but, as of the completion of this review (about 30 Min.), has sucked down half of my sixer! I too believe that the last beer won't make it the night- and I just bought the damn stuff tonight! This will never be out of stock in my fridge.

05-12-2009 04:23:44 | More by theAlaskan
tjwarren

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

A friend of mine has been after me to try this but I thought of other scotch ales that I did not like as much so I resisted. He was right. I was wrong.

I expected more of a brown ale but it poured dark and thicker than expected. Nice thick head that dissapated but lacing lingered.

Smell was sweet, very malty, very appealing to me as a sweet tooth kind of guy.

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. I had a Weyerbacher Heresy the night before and felt this was similar. Maybe too sweet for hop heads but right up my alley. I believe if you like Imperial Stouts or RIS's you will like this.

Smooth mouthfeel. No complaints. It went almost too quick since it packs quite a whallop.

Probably not a food drink. I ate some nuts with it and they were a nice snack for it. It is kind of a beer that stands by itself. Not real versatile but very, very good. Better than I thought it would be. I wanted another right away but I think two would probably put me in a coma. Not a session beer by any means. Great nightcapper if you ask me. A stay at home beer.

Glad I tried it. Will be back for more.

05-06-2009 02:45:43 | More by tjwarren
birdyone

Rhode Island

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%

It pours a nice dark brown; it almost looks like Barq's root beer. I don't remember that much head in mine, but I've seen the same beer give a nice head.

The smell is the best part! It's like Christmas, Thanksgiving and a warm fire all wrapped into one. Just an explosion of smells! Lots of caramel, and a little coffee. A sweet burning smell. The smell of this beer to people who like dark beer is like the smell of burning rubber to gear heads; either you love it, or you hate it. I love it.

The first time I had this beer I was blown away by the taste. It was my first Scotch Ale, and I've been looking for more since. It's a rich, powerful flavor. That caramel and coffee come out in the taste too.

This is a stronger beer; doesn't really go with too many foods, didn't try hagas though. This is not a beer you just drink fast and order another one. It's a good starting point fore people interested in Scotch ales and darker beers in general being as for the most part it's not hard to get, and is a pretty good beer.

05-05-2009 21:40:51 | More by birdyone
Duhast500

Rhode Island

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is dark brown with a light foamy white head. With no lacing.

The smell is a bit caramel, with a small fruit flavor in the background.

The taste is a bit sweet with a roasted malt feel and a nice brown sugar flavor.

The feel of this beer is a nice and even. The beer is a strong but not too overwhelming is really drinkable.

04-28-2009 19:53:45 | More by Duhast500
Seanstoppable

Nova Scotia (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured out into a mug a jet black. Even holding it toward a light maintains this inky darkness. Decent amount of head - with lacing - also present. Smells of toffee. Taste is a syrupy brown sugar-molasses-scotch flavor. Very sweet, somewhat heavy. Not something I particularly care for drinking over a prolonged period of time.

04-21-2009 00:58:12 | More by Seanstoppable
Ragingbull

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

This is a beer that I tend to fall back upon when my mother in law visits. She loves Scotch ales/scottish ales and when I can't turn up something new/local for her to enjoy I fall back on the classic imports.

The beer. . . it pours a deep, dark brown in color with a light head. The nose is mildly malty. The attack is thick and creamy. There are hints of nut in the flavor, but it is mostly a malt dominated beer. The mouthfeel is decidedly creamy. Towards the finish there is just the slightest bite, but then it closes with a sweet and creamy finish that closes out the experience. The weight of this beer seems to be heavy and tipping towards the barley wine side of scotch ales. I am mostly impressed that the beer seems uncompromised by its popularity as an import. Good on them.

04-17-2009 14:22:46 | More by Ragingbull
endincolorado

Appearance- Dark, ruby-brown body with good light tan head, good retention, and nice lacing.

Smell- Very sweet, toasty malt, caramel, nutty, virtually no hop-presence.

Taste- Sweet, dessert-like, almost syrupy malts, hazelnut, toffee, dark fruit. Again, low on hops.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, sticky texture, which helps the excellent flavors linger.

Drinkability- I guess I'm a little biased here, as this is one of my favorite beers, but as far as I'm concerned, this one can be drunk on any occasion. Excellent with a good grilled steak.

03-30-2009 20:10:07 | More by endincolorado
Shumista

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my beer mug.

A-McEwan's Scotch Ale pours a deep dark brown with a just slightly off white head. For some reason the nearly white head sitting atop such a dark brown beer doesn't seem right.

S- Sweet brown sugar and caramel. A little bit of coffee and dark fruits. Much fruitier smelling than other scotch ales I've had.

T- Very sweet, sweeter than other examples of the style I've had. Caramel and brown sugar like in the smell. The coffee is not too noticeable in the taste, but the dark fruits are very prevalent.

M- Medium to full bodied, low carbonation. The alcohol provides a noticeable warmth.

D- It's too sweet for me to want another one.

Overall, I've had much better Scotch Ales that were brewed right here in Michigan in Founders Dirty Bastard and Dark Horse's Scotty Karate. I don't think I will buy this again. The fruitiness was unique but other than that there isn't much to make me come back to it.

03-26-2009 01:54:02 | More by Shumista
EsoxLucius

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Alright, got this one in a 6 pack and I'm glad I bought it. First time trying this beer out and I'm thoroughly impressed and will definitely be getting it again.

A: Very nice looking beer, pours a dark red-brown with a light tan, fluffy head that gradually dissipates into a nice slick of the same color that remains throughout the drink. Lacing is also notable as, though thin, does remain throughout as well.

S: Definitely a sweet toffee smell with pronounced roasted malts that combine to give a noticeable black cherry aroma. The more I put my nose in it, the more it smelled of cherry mixed with a slight nutty blend. The 8% ABV is concealed nicely, though even the smell has warmth, hinting at the potency.

T: The best part has a sweet, malted taste to it with soothing warmth to it. Fruity notes are pronounced, though aren't as definitely pegged as being cherry-like. It's not bitter and if I find fault, the ABV, though hidden well, does bite back as the drink warms, especially in the aftertaste.

M: Good, it has just the right body going in and going down, though a bit dry. Its low carbonation lends it to feel quite smooth until the slightly dry finish.

D: Not a one after another beer, though a very nice change of pace and incredibly enjoyable. It's a bit too sweet for me to session with, but definitely a beer to savor when one does have one.

Very nice drink and is now on my recommended/re-purchase list.

03-21-2009 04:59:01 | More by EsoxLucius
jujubeast6000

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Reviewed 8/17/2008 (bottle):

Pours a very dark reddish colored body, with a brownish color head, some okay lacing that is somewhat lasting. Has a pretty fruity aroma, with some malts. Has a malty, nutty taste, with a a little alcohol. Dusty palate. Somewhat hotter as it warms up.

03-20-2009 03:38:46 | More by jujubeast6000
djeucalyptus

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

pours an interestingly dark chestnut hue with a nice and thick caramel head that has a bit of retention before deflating to a foamy cap that leaves some decent lacing down the glass.

aroma is earthy and malty with woody notes. caramel, toffee, almonds. sweet fruit comes through a bit, and a touch of alcohol... brandy and sherry.

taste follows aroma with some nice earthy malt up front, then a rush of sweet fruit, caramel, molasses. some funky butterscotch and plastic notes intermingle with sherry, brandy, plums, and figs. a touch of earthy herbal hops to balance the malt and fruit. a bit of pure alcohol comes through as well.

mouthfeel is full and rich, with a bit of syrupy thickness and some ample carbonation to cut through it. the sugary alcohol notes linger on the palate, making it seem hot and sweet at times.

not bad, but I've had better scotch ales. a bit thick, a bit earthy and muted, without the complexity that I look forward to in many scotch ales and wee heavies. definitely not a bad example, but just not an outstanding one.

03-02-2009 20:53:02 | More by djeucalyptus