Newcastle Summer Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Bitter |  4.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

a Scottish Sparkling Ale

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-24-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newcastle Summer Ale Alström Bros

mtgrl27, Sep 13, 2012

gunclubchris, May 19, 2012

gaffm, Mar 29, 2012

hardly an english bitter or an ale ,where's the hops?
boldly labelled at the top of the bottle "Hops & Glory" we were very disappointed.

I rate this ale as wankers ale plain and simple, it's pretty horrible tasting and continues to go wrong from there as you drink from the glass, artificial carbonation, with a musky horribly wrong after taste.

This ale is more like for dead parrots and budweiser fans, save your schillings

ale1, May 11, 2012

bootsdomino, Nov 21, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -57.8%

TheResidentialOP, Jun 17, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -57.8%

Newbiebeer, Aug 09, 2012
1.4/5  rDev -52.7%

I was looking for a summer beer to take to the beach with me. This was the first I'd seen Newcastle's Summer, and since I've enjoy their Brown, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Bad idea.

Honestly, this could be one of the worst beers I've ever had. It is a nice color when poured, although there was not much head. The smell was musty and it tasted like a dry champagne flavored beer. Aftertaste is terrible (butter?). I can drink most "bad" beers and I would prefer them - and I'm talking Natty Light level - over this.

I recommend passing on this. The fact that this got any good reviews makes me wonder if I had a bad batch.

willytime, Jul 17, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -49.3%

Mphis, Jul 04, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -40.9%

MAN615, May 20, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -40.9%

SoCaliC8, Jan 18, 2014
1.78/5  rDev -39.9%

I was so excited to see this beer in the store... because all Newcastle makes is their brown ale. poured into glass a hazy golden color with almost no head. This beer tastes like funky carbonated dishwater... something isn't right with this beer. On the label it says hops and glory, I barely taste any hops. Was really hoping to like this beer... but it just wasn't good.

hoppyweasel311, May 25, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -36.5%

Wow - TASTELESS.

A: Clear, gleden boddy with a mild white head and little to no lacing.

S: I can't really smell anything except some cut grass that has been clumped up and rotting in the lawn for several days.

T&M: Watery, potent rotting grains. Some oily sweetness and some english hop presence.

This stuff is awful. I guess if I only had a choice of Bud Light, Busch, and this Newcastle Summer Ale, I might choose the Busch Beer at least half the time!

cdizinno, Jul 06, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -34.8%

A: Straw color. Pretty boring. White head disappeared quickly. Spotty lacing. Crystal clear. Looks like all pale base malt.

S: Czech pils, fuggle style hops, pilsner bitterness, slight lo mein noodle.

T: Nothing upfront. Small pilsner style bitterness in the finish. No flavor at all. Pretty much water.

M: Thin but carbed. Like water.

O: Terrible.

JerseyKirk, May 11, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -33.1%

Bottle given to me by my neighbor Rich. Poured into my outdoor pint glass.

A: Pours a darker golden color, with a thin white head that dissipated quickly.

S: Smells "bitter". No grapefruit. No sourness. No citrus. No mango. Just metallic bitterness.

T: Taste follows the nose. Bitter for the sake of being bitter. Mild malt sweetness at the very front. Then a moderate amount of bitterness slowly plods in, overwhelms whatever else might be there, and just remains "bitter" all the way to the finish.

M: Light and thin. Carbonation is a shade low for my liking. Finishes dry and bitter.

D/O: Life's too short to drink subpar beer. It's not particularly drinkable, and it's not particularly enjoyable. My guess is they're moving cases of this because they called it "summer ale", and in the summer time, Common Joe The Beer Drinker gets a little bit more adventurous and will try something new that has the word "summer" in it. Turns out this isn't a wit or a wheat... and it doesn't have anything resembling a "bright hop" presence. Just boring English bitter. I don't think I ever need to revisit this.

psuKinger, Jun 27, 2012