2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Newcastle Brown Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

Newcastle Brown AleNewcastle Brown Ale

poor

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Brown Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-29-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newcastle Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,598 | Reviews: 1,459 | Show All Ratings:
bobvinson2002

4.55/5  rDev +36.2%

I love the tone. I really like the fact that it has the initial Heineken smell, I also love Heineken. However this beer does not have the heavy aftertaste. I do wish it were a little more potent ;)
Overall I would stock it. There are MANY beers around that Id pass up for this one. I am not into the IPA format. I prefer stout. But I love how smooth this beer drinks.

04-14-2014 23:03:48 | More by bobvinson2002
Hawthorne

Maine

4.53/5  rDev +35.6%

Newcastle was my first introduction into good beers 20 years ago and it has remained one of my favorites ever since. It pours a beautiful brown color and is easy on the eyes. The resulting head is sturdy and tenacious sticking around well after the third or forth pull. The taste is pure malty goodness. It is as smooth as the label suggests and beckons you to repeat the procedure until you have drained either your wallet or the six pack. Enjoy!

09-04-2007 21:56:54 | More by Hawthorne
KodyBrannon

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

Was lucky enough to find this one on tap at dave and busters and ejoyed a couple glasses. This one is one of my normal everyday staples at home. But having it on tap fresh, trumps drinking it from the bottle. I truly love this beer and will continue to drink it. But I do have to say, the Tap is far better than the bottle. But other than that, it had all the same characteristics of my previous review.

11-13-2007 21:03:13 | More by KodyBrannon
ronniebruner

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

This is one of the greatest "easy to find beers". It is available pretty much everywhere. The first thing I notice about this brew is the amber reddish hue. The beer's smell is slightly weak, but has a strong finish, minimal head, and a smoooth taste.

12-17-2010 04:26:54 | More by ronniebruner
dmcbeerington

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

I like this beer. I don't know why it is C+ for such a good beer. This beer reminds me of that Chinese tsingtao beer. It tastes and smells almost similar but I personally prefer this over the Tsingtao beer.

A: It looks pretty good, at least better than pale ale since it is brown ale. It looks like beers to me. There is a strong head to my new castle beer that lasted for about 1 minute.

S: although not very special, it does smells like beer.

T: There is a small taste in this beer, not strong enough for most people to recognize, so that is why they say this beer is too watery. In fact, I can taste some sweetness like honey to it and a little bit bitterness after.

M: Definitely very easy to drink. If you are new to beer, you should be able to drink the whole bottle without any problem.

O: I like it. It is very drinkable. Because of its not that strong taste, this beer is good to pair with any food.

09-06-2011 23:49:34 | More by dmcbeerington
GallowsOak

United Kingdom (England)

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

This is a beer that I will always enjoy. Malty, slightly sweet, strong enough to not have to carry a carrier bag full bursting at the seams, quaffable enough to remember tomorrow. The years spent developing this classic were well spent. Not a live ale but certainly a lively one.

07-14-2006 22:15:18 | More by GallowsOak
Fireal1222

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

this is one of the few beers that i'd actually recommend you to drink from the bottle.

with that said.

this brew goes down like iced tea.. and honestly. it even has the same color.. its the perfect beer because it suits just about anybody. your lady friends will enjoy it as well. because its just that easy to drink.

probably the most drinkable beer in the world.

enjoy

05-04-2008 06:39:11 | More by Fireal1222
bac37

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

Great all around beer thats not too heavy making it one of my favorite all around, pub worthy beers!

A - Pours nice dark brown with a hint of red.
S - very hoppy and almost smokey.
T - Very full with tradition brown ale flavor. Very hoppy but so much that the beer seems more like dinner than a drink.
D - I could drink a few of these and still be very satisfied. Not too heavy making it the perfect, "multiple round" beer.
M- Light, but falvorful. Smooth even flavor making very enjoyable to drink.

07-13-2009 13:56:35 | More by bac37
mrferranto

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

Newcastle is truly at its best when chilled considerably. I started drinking this in bottles, but one I found out it was available for the Beertender, I immediately purchased on and began buying the mini kegs. The only complaint I have since switching to the mini kegs, is that I cannot control the temperature on my Beertender, other than that, the beer itself speaks for itself. Its the kind of beer you would expect to come from northeast England, good on a cold night, especially in the winter time you get here on the east coast.

Serving type: nitro-tap

12-31-2010 04:38:54 | More by mrferranto
Jacobob10

4.45/5  rDev +33.2%

Pours brown with nice off-white head. Just the right amount of carbonation, not too much, not too little. Not a huge aroma, but it is pleasant with a nutty/roasted scent to it. But what really stands out is the taste. This is a great tasting beer. It tingles your tongue without being bitter and leaves you wanting more. Highly drinkable, I love this beer and could drink it anywhere anytime. Delicious!

03-28-2004 17:59:25 | More by Jacobob10
d1dane

4.45/5  rDev +33.2%

I have had this beer both out of a bottle and on tap at a local restaurant, being impressed every time. I do have a soft spot in my heart for heavier beers thats drinkability is exceptional but this beer conquers it all. I'll take one of these over almost any beer I have ever laid eyes on. very very exceptional

01-22-2010 18:15:25 | More by d1dane
diablo14

Australia

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%

i had to review the tap variety, as i find the bottle version to be a bit inconsistent after a few thousand kms of travel and the possibility its been sitting out back in the store room for an extended period.

this would be pretty close to my favourite session beer at any given time. its great ice cold in summer, great when its warmed up a little in winter and once ive had one, i find it incredibly hard to stop. its one of the most copied beers going around, and still tastes as good now as when i first had it 15 years ago.

the tan color of this beer has set a trend in this department, and the thin beady head is perfect for the style. its got a nutty sweetness on the nose with just a hint of hops, and going down its an awesome balance of sweetness (love those caramel notes) at the front and bitterness at the end. the mouthfeel is quite thin, but then i also feel its what makes it so drinkable.

other brown ales may be a little more complex, but not the sort of thing you can slam down a half dozen of. its not too syrupy, which makes it a winner in any weather. on top of this it still lacks nothing in flavor.

my final thought on this beer- no wonder newcastle hospital has a ward that caters only for newcastle brown addicts. there have been a couple of times i would have been a prime cantidate myself.

10-13-2003 13:57:57 | More by diablo14
bronxlord

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%

This is the most refreshing beer I have ever had. It was a 90 degree night in August in NYC, I stroll into the bar and order a New Castle and it was more refreshing than water. But then thing is that its not watered down! Great taste but not too heavy. Probably one of the few beers where I can down a pitcher and not feel bloated.

11-03-2004 21:59:26 | More by bronxlord
Willibomb

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%

I have been able to enjoy Newcastle several different ways from several different locations. I find this beer varies widely whether you are on the east coast, midwest, bottle or tap.

Best case scenario is of course on tap on the east coast. It has a dark amber color, semi-foul smelling brew, but great taste and drinkablility. It's best characteristic is it's smoothness. Compared to other mainstream imports such as heiniken and guiness, this definately ranks very high.

As you move west in america, Newcastle seems to aquire a formaldehyde after-taste, possibly a preservative that I have tasted in bud when overseas. Also, the cost of bottles shoots up over $1 per bottle, and it becomes the cost of premium beers on tap. Therefore my ranking would drop significantly.

This rating is for a pint of newcastle served from the Griffon on Charleston bay in Charleston, SC. Best place to drink newcastle, in the US.

06-04-2007 15:43:59 | More by Willibomb
BeanBone

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Medium to dark brown, clear with an almost non-existent fizzy head

Aroma: Nutty and malty with a definite sweet hint

Taste: Deep body, medium malt character with no bitterness

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and crisp, nice aftertaste

Drinkability: Easy to drink and a perfect match with the traditional beer pairing: pizza

Verdict: Certainly no where near as good as from a tap, but still a great session beer from the bottle. If you're looking for something a little darker, this is a beer with a real bite you can drink all night long. Good dog.

03-13-2008 19:25:00 | More by BeanBone
hunthearin

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%

One of my favorite beers - pours nicely but with a reddish brown color, not quite brown. The distinctive odor in no way effects the taste, which is bold but nothing to write home about. I enjoy keeping these stocked in my fridge and drinking them COLD!

03-22-2010 07:47:02 | More by hunthearin
SisuPride

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%

One of the better beers readily available. A happy inbetween of not too filling, not too light. A skunk bottle may ruin a 1st impression of this beer. A great introductory brown beer for those who drink Bud and Miller out of habbit. Just a hint of nutty brown flavor and creaminess. At its best when it is just a little cooler than room temperature.

03-03-2011 22:05:17 | More by SisuPride
johnnipe

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%

Love the color and how it pours into a glass. Since I drink mainly dark beers and ale, I want a good hops taste and this ale does not disappoint. I keep one or two on hand when I want something stout and since I drink less than a beer a week, I want it to be special when I open it.

12-10-2012 19:16:42 | More by johnnipe
IIKaRuII

4.4/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

got this in a drought keg for the beer tender.
Pours a very heavy red that creates a three finger head that is a fluffy brown color. The head dissipates slowly leaving heavy amounts of lacing.
The smell is a very nice roasted caramel balance.
Taste is sweet with a caramel backbone with slight bitterness that hits at the beginning. but leaves the pallet quick and leaves a very nice sweet malt that makes you want to drink more
perfectly carbonated with that great ale finish. a GREAT beer that is readily available at most stores that sell beer. Great year round.

01-07-2011 02:37:12 | More by IIKaRuII
Mitchel

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First and foremost, this is one of my all-time favorite beers. I always find my way back to the blue star from across the pond. I think that a lot of people underrate this beer and I can’t seem to find a general opinion as to why.

This beer has one of the best heads that I have seen in a while (off white color). It holds for a long while and it leaves a great lace as well. Everyone else says that it has a ruby color to it, so I will say that it has a crimson brown color, because I have to be different. This beer blends tones of caramel and toffee which could sound overwhelming, but it is done with great skill. It is not excessively sweet.

What makes me come back to this beer time and time again is its light tastes and even balance. Hardly an aftertaste though. I would like more of that, but you can’t have everything in life now can you? It, at times seems a bit watery. Which is why I gave it a 3.5 on mouthfeel, but the 4.5 on drinkability is due to the wide range of availability and its smoothness when drinking. Great session beer.

11-07-2005 21:19:17 | More by Mitchel
eb003

Kentucky

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

I truly enjoyed this brew. I can't believe I'd never tried it before. A lot of my buddies have enjoyed this brew and I just never went for the ale. I thought it was very smooth, very refreshing, and just a very nice touch on the palate.

Appearance is good, it's a nice light brown. I had a very nice lacing on the glass which lasted the whole brew. The smell is also good. The taste is where this one takes off for me. I thought the taste was very nice, very smooth, I enjoyed the flavor. The mouthfeel was also very nice. It was a silky/smooth feel. The drinkability is pretty high for me because it's enjoyable and I could drink this one all night.

01-02-2007 23:38:38 | More by eb003
Jordan1985rec

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

Both my girlfriend and I can enjoy this beer, a quality not found in too many brands. What I really like about this brew is the color and flavor, which at least to my palate tastes a bit like vinegar...in good way. I would compare this beer to a Smithwicks or other dark ales. Good with Shepherd
s Pie!

Pour: Decent, not a ton of head even when sloshed in (a friend of mine is not the best server)
Appearance: dark, a bit malt vinegarish. Not too fizzy
Smell: Rich, a bit grainy
Taste: This is where this ale shines in my opinion, Very drinkable and rich, but not too heavy.
All in all one of my all time favorites!

03-04-2007 22:28:31 | More by Jordan1985rec
n0315

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

Not too much head, which is a good thing if you dont like waiting 10 minutes to drink. Smooth as silk while going down, with a little bitter taste. A good session beer, you will have the abitly to drink a lot, but it will fill you up after a bit. A bit of nutty taste to it, good for the winter months. Overall, its my fav beer. not too thick, but not a very thin beer either. Drinking it from a tap is a world better than the bottle. Much sharper taste.

12-27-2007 22:01:40 | More by n0315
klintok21

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

Drank straight from the bottle on a hot summer day, very tasty and not overwhelming (especially considering I had a 'Poet' Oatmeal Stout earlier on ) Not my absolute favorite but it ranks up there now; a very refreshing change of pace and easy to drink with very light carbonation. I recommend at least trying it once! I just picked up another 6 pack tonight! Drinking one as I type!

07-24-2008 04:12:57 | More by klintok21
pezoids

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

This beer usually does not disappoint. I haven't had this one on tap for years. The beer poured a deep copper color and had a large lacey white head. This sample just tasted very fresh. There was a nutty sweet aroma to the beer. Almost perfect balance of hop bitterness to the sweet malt. Great tasting and still remains one of my favorite brown ales.

02-22-2003 13:24:00 | More by pezoids