1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Newcastle Brown Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

Newcastle Brown AleNewcastle Brown Ale

poor

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Brown Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newcastle Brown Ale Alström Bros

SkiBum22, Aug 21, 2014

Misterefe, Oct 20, 2013

JustinSparks, Jul 29, 2014

JLaw55, Jul 15, 2014

Faroveryonder, Sep 04, 2014

craft_is_king, Aug 14, 2014

Poured into a tumbler in late 2013.

A: Reddish/brown. Poured flat with almost no head.

S: Bitter hops.

T: Bitterness, caramel, chemical aftertaste.

O: I had to force myself to drink this one down back when I didn't know anything about beer. It was so bad that I avoided brown ales for a long time. I should have drain poured it.

WAbeerfiend, Yesterday at 04:10 AM

boogieman6, Sep 16, 2014
1.01/5  rDev -69.6%

yamcarts, Sep 04, 2014
1.03/5  rDev -69%

A friend of mine had me try this. It's one of his favorite beers, and I trusted him up until this point. I took the first sip (out of a bottle), and I hated it. I asked him if they had been sitting in his car for the last few months, because it tasted like the worst skunk beer you could possibly drink. And, too my surprise, he said that was exactly how it was supposed to taste. I can't get down with a beer that's supposed to taste skunked.

MrGaughran, Jun 27, 2012
1.15/5  rDev -65.4%

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember this beer 20 or so years ago when you could only get it in pint bottles. It tastes nothing like it once did. There is a rather odd aroma that smells like dirty socks. Flavor wise it reminds me of bad home brew. It tastes like it's brewed with a lot of cane sugar. Dry, cidery like finish that's just awful.

nige4958, Mar 20, 2013
1.18/5  rDev -64.5%

i need to get something off my chest. This beer is so frieken horrendous, simply because i belive its to outlandish and sickening. Sure others might like it, and i can understand why, its not bland or anything like that. By far the worst feature of this beer is the smell and taste, and i dare any of you to drink this in large numbers. I ussually like beers with hints of coffee and chocolate but somehow they have managed to repulse me. Thanks for reading and publishing my review.

dinnersd, Feb 05, 2010
1.21/5  rDev -63.6%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It is a little lighter than tea in color. It has some burnt orange and amber highlights. It is capped with two inches of tan head.

S - It smells skunked as soon as I pop the cap. Once I get passed the skunk piss smell I get some caramel and cocoa.

T - It of course has that skunked ass taste. I do get some caramel in between the skunk taste.

M - Moderate to thin.

O - Clear bottles equal skunk taste and smell. I think this is a terrible beer. It is probably not light struck on draft, but I seldom choose this beer to consume. I bought a six pack to remind myself of why I never drink it. This is probably my least favorite English beer.

buschbeer, Jul 06, 2014
1.4/5  rDev -57.8%

It pours a translucent brown with a weak limp head that immediately vanishes. Nose is of barely nutty malts and faintly skunked hops. Nose is almost non-existant. This is more of a blessing than a curse.

First taste is water. Water followed by a big sack-kick of diacetyl. Mmmmm. It's not entirely one-dimensional, the next taste adds a skunks ass to the water/butterscotch equation. Mouthfeel is flaccid and watery, with that sickening slickness of diacetyl. In your mouth it cycles though it's flavors, water, skunk, butterscotch, water, skunk, butterscotch. This is truly the worst tasting beer I've ingested. Holy gross.

It finishes leaving your mouth dry yet slick with lingering rancid butter. This is an aftertaste. Not a finish, an aftertaste. Gross. Gross. Gross.

nogoodreason, Dec 20, 2004
1.45/5  rDev -56.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I did not like this beer. This is a darker beer, not totally dark like a stout just dark brown. On first taste it wasn't that bad and indeed the first part of each sip was ok, however the aftertaste was awful. It was watery but the taste you did get was indescribable. like a base, it was bitter but bad bitter, like your drinking soap. Each sip made me gag, hence the 1 for drinkability. I thought i would like this beer but i will never drink one again.

n8tron, Oct 27, 2004