Newcastle Brown Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

poor

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Brown Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newcastle Brown Ale Alström Bros

JBreezyyNY, Aug 06, 2014

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013

jfcaa193, Feb 19, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -53.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is a very overrated beer, really quite bland with a buttery caramel sort of taste, which isn't too pleasant, i'm sure it was pretty good, 20 or 30 years ago though.

rastaman, Feb 16, 2002
1.55/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle. Pours a reddish-brown with negligible head. Aroma is very weak, mostly earthy hops. Very thin for a brown ale and very dry. Not much is going on a flavor side. I love brown ales but this one is terrible beer. I could not finish a bottle. The beer is easily available everywhere but this is the last time I try it.

mikeg67, Dec 17, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -53.3%

on tap at yd tap room, pitcher into pint.

this beer is such a cult classic, and I have no idea why. I dislike everything about this beer, pretty much. maybe not the trivia and facts they put on the bottle, but as for the beer itself, well, it blows hard. the first english brown I had was sam smith's, and I have never gone back. having this presented as a brown ale is laughable. the only beer i dislike more is probably boddingtons. the body was not dark enough, there was head (minimal), the nose was corny with a touch of something else, the taste was lacking the most fundamental supports for the style, the onlything I could taste was a watered down biscuit/malt flavour. this is just a beer I tend to avoid when i see it at gallery openings, i'll take highlife, at least that one is being honest about how bad it is.

erz316, Jan 01, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -50.9%

Served from 12 oz. Bottle

A: Typical of brown ale; not too much head, but noticeable carbonation. Not too dark or light.

S: Smells pretty weak, can note the dark malts and a chocolate/coffee type of scent.

T: Tastes okay, really a very mild brown ale; the chocolate is noticeable, but the beer tastes almost watered down. I wish they would've made this beer stronger.

M: Feels nice in the mouth, a little overcarbonated but somewhat smooth.

D: Easy to drink.

This beer is pretty mild and it feels like Newcastle just wanted to make a marketable and drinkable brown ale. There is no dominant flavor and this beer is subpar.

jt31914, Sep 26, 2009
1.64/5  rDev -50.6%

COLOR: Medium Amber

BOTTLE CODE: None

COST:
Varies depending on where you buy it. But it ranges anywhere from $11.99 to $16.59 for a 6 pack.

Availability:
12 oz bottles, 12oz Cans, Draft

POUR:
Depending on how vigorously you pour the beer, the head will be somewhere between nonexistent and 1/2 pinky finger. But it only sticks around for a brief period of time then dissipates.

LOOK:
Crystal clear. Light carbonation. It doesn't look like any brown ale I've ever had. The color was more like a dirty Budweiser.

AROMA:
Very fruity smelling beer. Just like most English ales. There’s a malt sweetness that is very present in the aroma, but nothing over the top. There’s a light breadiness that evens out the malt sweetness.

TASTE:
The first thing your going to notice is that there’s absolutely NO hop character in this beer, which goes right along with the English Brown Ale style.
The bitterness is only slightly noticeable in the aftertaste, which only sticks around on the back of your tongue for about a minute then disappears.
There’s no alcohol taste or presence in this beer. But I wouldn’t expect that from a 4.7% beer.
The pronounced English fruitiness is ever-present in the taste, and is one of the only redeeming qualities about this beer.

Surprisingly, in the bottle that I reviewed, there was none of that Import-Clear-Bottle-Skunkiness. This was certainly refreshing, as I’ve never had a bottle of Newcastle that wasn’t completely skunked.

Is it Worth the Money? "No"
This beer was on sale at my local grocery store for $12.99 for a 12 pack. That’s down from it’s normal price of $16.59. However, it’s normal price at my local beer and wine store was only $11.99.

I just can’t see myself paying nearly $18.00 (after tax) for the regular grocery store price. Not when it’s only $11.99 down the street.

Since there’s such a wide price-range on this beer, if your heart is dead set on buying Newcastle, seek out the best price. Don’t just go to your favorite grocery store and lay down nearly $18 when it can be much cheaper at another store. This is just too over priced for what it’s delivering to the senses.

VERDICT: "C-"
I feel like the flavors and aromas are so light and muted that this beer just isn’t bringing much to the table.

If you’re looking for a flavorful beer that you can drink quite a few of, this is not the beer for you. It doesn’t really taste like much. However, yes you can drink a ton of them and not even get buzzed.

Although, I guess you could consider this a nice transitional beer for someone looking to dip their toes into the craft beer world. But would I call this a craft beer? Definitely not.

This is what I consider the English equivalent to a Budweiser looking like. It doesn’t taste like much but because of it’s worldwide hype, everyone wants to drink it.

If I’m going to spend nearly $18 on a 12pk of anything, it’s going to be something like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada or another more flavorful beer than this. Something that I can sit back and relax and have one or two and be completely satisfied. Newcastle just doesn’t give me that sense of satisfaction.

This almost feels like a novelty beer to me. For example:

A point of advice when shopping for this beer...
I’ve always complained about how this beer usually has that clear bottle import skunkiness like Heineken and Corona. But as long as you don’t buy it off the shelf where it’s been sitting in direct light (even fluorescent light), then you should be alright. Personally, I always get the pack that’s all the way on the back of the shelf.
Always buy the 12 pack of bottles or the cans because the packaging shields the beer from the harmful rays. If you buy the 6 packs, there is more surface area exposed to the light which will skunk the beer faster.

brandonlovesbeer, Feb 22, 2013
1.7/5  rDev -48.8%

A-Brown, actually has more red in it than expected. Nice and clear though.

S-Hops with a hint of rubbing alcohol, not good.

T-Nothing like the browns I have been trying. Really funky bitter taste. Probably the worst brown I have ever bought.

M-Really carbonated, foamy mouth feel.

D-I did not like this beer, maybe I purchased a bad bottle that was sitting in the sun for a couple of days. I'm not sure, but it was not very tasty at all.

StoutyMcHaggis, Nov 08, 2007
1.7/5  rDev -48.8%

I agree with many of the other BA's who reviewed this one. There is just something I don't like about Newcastle. I should also say that I really don't care for brown ales, even the offering from beer master Samuel Smith.

The smell isn't good, the taste is something of a bitter medicinal blaaaahhh and I just don't like how the brown stuff looks in the clear bottle. Same when I poured it out...I dont know, it doesnt look good. This to me is just another bad English brown. Oh the dirty brown.

IrishRedRock, Jul 25, 2002
1.7/5  rDev -48.8%

Simple reddish colored and well laced body. The aromas are boring and dulll just nothing worth speaking of. Flavors aren't much better. Sweet, touch of sour, no body or depth, no dark flavors, no yeast....this is just not good and frankly it is pretty crappy.

Just not interested. if nothing is on tap and this one is cheap go for it...

Overall this isn't exciting or good..

bobhits, Dec 10, 2011