1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Newcastle Brown Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

Newcastle Brown AleNewcastle Brown Ale

poor

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Brown Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-29-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Ratings: 3,587 | Reviews: 1,458 | Show All Ratings:
bobvinson2002

4.55/5  rDev +36.2%

I love the tone. I really like the fact that it has the initial Heineken smell, I also love Heineken. However this beer does not have the heavy aftertaste. I do wish it were a little more potent ;)
Overall I would stock it. There are MANY beers around that Id pass up for this one. I am not into the IPA format. I prefer stout. But I love how smooth this beer drinks.

04-14-2014 23:03:48 | More by bobvinson2002
archyquaffer

Montana

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm confused about where this beer is brewed. I have always assumed that it's English beer based on the fact that it says "Imported from England" on the label. I've researched this a little on the web and can find no reference to a Scottish origin for this beer, as this website indicates. What gives? It's brewed in Yorkshire, England for crying out loud, isn't it?

Anyhoooo, an old favorite here. I bought an 18.6 ounce bottle for I think $3.19 or so.

One good thing about a clear bottle is you get to watch the foam gush up when you open it. A moderate pour into a sampler produces about an inch of snow white frothy head, which proves relatively sticky. The beer is a crystal clear ruddy brown, and definitely more pale than and American brown. Light to moderate carbonation. This beer has some visual appeal.

I pretty much notice minerals and light fruity malt in the nose, with hardly any hop aroma. The taste is sweet up front but sweetness recedes, being counterbalanced by a kiss of earthy hops, with some light fruitiness reminiscent of baked apples and raisins along with some pleasant and interesting mineral flavors. The mouthfeel is relatively creamy despite the relatively low body.

A very easy drinking ale with some light, rather simple, but nonetheless interesting flavors that can be a nice break from the ultra hopped craft brews or the typical AAL out there. This is considered a simple working man's beer in England, as I understand. It probably fits that definition, because I think this beer would quench thirst pretty well.

04-05-2014 04:03:39 | More by archyquaffer
lespaulrocka

4.75/5  rDev +42.2%

Appearance: Transparent brown copper color with tan head. It's a very clean and nice looking beer.

Smell: Aroma isn't too strong but has nutty and caramel notes. (very pleasant)

Taste: Has nice a malty, nutty-caramel flavor. It's very balanced for what it is. Nothing too strong but plenty of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, very carbonated and drinkable.

Overall: Can't go wrong with newcastle there are plenty of brown ales but this is definitely my go to brown ale. It's not the most sophisticated but probably a nice and simple beer to have to knock back and enjoy. Great beer to have any day of the week for any occasion. Can't go wrong!

03-30-2014 16:09:42 | More by lespaulrocka
ONUMello

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Transparent brown color with not quite a one-finger head
S: Generic malts and grains, a bit nutty but fairly bland overall
T: Thin, plan grains, perhaps a bit metallic, just a hint of nuttiness
M: Thin-bodied, crisp, a touch bitter
O: I've had far worse but this is very average

03-19-2014 20:21:40 | More by ONUMello
FrozenJoe

3.39/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance
Small head that dissipates quickly. Lacing is respectable. Dark reddish brown body. Clear. Good carbonation. Pour aggressively for a decent head.

Smell
Mild. Toasted malts. Sourdough. Faint sweetness.

Taste
Toasted malts. Sweet. Faint grassy hops. Sourdough. Bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel
Pretty good. Medium bodied. Carbonation is spot on. Bitterness lingers.

Overall
This does not taste like an all malt brew. I think there are adjuncts in here... Maybe corn? Even so, I like it. A pretty clean yet flavorful macro take on a brown ale. It won't blow you away. But its quite sessionable. A good dark macro.

03-14-2014 04:23:04 | More by FrozenJoe
Retroman40

Kentucky

3.01/5  rDev -9.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a very clear reddish copper color. Decent enough head that retreats to lacing.

S - Very pronounced European hop note with little malt aroma.

T - Bitter hops with some hint of malt.

M - Medium body with a dry finish.

O - I honestly thought I was drinking a Heineken that someone had colored brown. This really isn't what I expect from a Brown Ale - not say it was bad - just not what I expected.

03-05-2014 10:25:32 | More by Retroman40
brewbattles

2.51/5  rDev -24.9%

We conducted a blind taste test with this beer and 5 other brown ales to objectively determine which one was best. The 5 beers were: Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Lost Coast Downtown Brown, Big Sky Moose Drool, Newcastle Brown, and Wychwood Hobgoblin. You can view the video here:

02-11-2014 17:44:54 | More by brewbattles
youknowmyname

3.06/5  rDev -8.4%

Odor: Smells of toasted malt and caramel. Sweet smell, maybe a little nutty.

Pour: Lots of carbonation. Small head that dissipates quickly. Filtered. Pours a dark brown with amber hues.

Taste: Very thin. I was expecting a heavier beer for it's dark color; more watery. Tastes of toasted malts with a buttery finish. It reminds me of Yuengling lager even though it's a top fermenting ale. Dry finish and heavy carbonation does not take away from a slight nutty aftertaste. Doesn't have the full buttery effect or slightly sweet start that Yuengling has.

This beer just reminds me of one of my favorite gas station beers and I can get it in Illinois. Unfortunately, the closest place to get Yuengling is Ohio so this would do in a pinch. Able to put down a few easily. People who might like Newcastle are people willing to try a Honey Brown, Dos Equis Amber or perhaps an Michelob Amberbock.

02-10-2014 03:43:25 | More by youknowmyname
GCBrewery

Connecticut

3.15/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I used to really enjoy this beer when I was younger, but if you close your eyes while drinking this, you will see it is actually quite bland. The artificial caramel color that is added to this beer does deceive your senses into thinking there is more to this beer than their actually is, so their is something to be said about the eyes having the first taste. Since I cut out all artificial ingredients in my diet, this beer will no longer be in my fridge, nor ordered while out, and I also think it's a shady practice for a reputable brewery to be taking shortcuts on flavor while dosing some artificial crap to compensate for lack of quality.

02-05-2014 03:14:13 | More by GCBrewery
Emnmarko

3.34/5  rDev 0%

A- Dark auburn color, light tan creamy head. Modest lacing.

S- Sweet roasted malts. Like a 9 volt battery on your tongue.

T- light sweet malts. Mild flavor to the end. No thrills. Little aftertaste.

M- Light and crisp. Nothing to bog you down. This is the best aspect of this brown ale.

O- A good- not great brew. However this beer is nicely drinkable. Feels more like a lager than an ale. I can see myself drinking this again, if only once in a while, during summer months.

01-21-2014 22:07:42 | More by Emnmarko
acemaverick

West Virginia

4.23/5  rDev +26.6%

A: Enjoyable label. Ale is light reddish-brown color and is appealing to me.
S: Smells OK. Nothing special.
T: Taste is very smooth. Light. Sweet aftertaste. Very enjoyable.
M: Not to heavy, not too light.
O: I really enjoyed this beer. I will buy it again and have told all my friends about it.

01-21-2014 06:47:48 | More by acemaverick
utopiajane

3.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light brown, clear with a decent head of loose white foam that fell pretty quick to a ring and film on top. Light little ruby blush. Nose is shy. Light sweet grain and a fruitiness. Bit of grass and toasted grain. Tatse is earhty with a light sweetness and a very light mouthfeel. Sweet grain that's drying in the middle. A little buttery and a bit of fruity flavor. The malt is very light and not as smooth and rich as some other browns. Little bit of hop bitter to finish it. The mouhtfeel is a bit slick and it's crisp with a bit of refreshment. There is a slight metallic bit underneath as it warms but by the time you finish your pint that is a vague memory. Has a surprising bit of refreshment to offer. Really very good and while ti is not rich or expansive in it's malt it is very easy to drink and extremely sessionable.

01-18-2014 17:21:38 | More by utopiajane
MadCat

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours a nice brown color, with some light head

Smell: Malt sweetness, toasted grains, clean

Taste: Some maltyness up front, earthy hops, toasted grain

Mouthfeel: Light body, good carbonation

Overall: Obviously not the greatest beer in the world, but it is a nice classic to have once in a while.

01-18-2014 04:38:48 | More by MadCat
ansantos89

United Kingdom (England)

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Since I came to Newcastle I wanted to taste this beer, because everyone talks a lot about it over here. In my humble opinion it's overrated. It's just a nice Ale, quite strong, very good looking bottle, but not as cheap as it should be although the bottle is 500ml.

01-17-2014 00:51:17 | More by ansantos89
dicookie

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I love the smell and flavors of this beer. Flavors which are strongly nutty come on a couple seconds after a gulp. Smells nutty and lightly sweet too. Smooth and not too rich. However, I have consistently been left with a mildly unpleasant aftertaste as I get closer and closer to the bottom of the bottle. It's not enough to turn me off from it though. This is a great beer.

12-23-2013 20:03:22 | More by dicookie
emnarasky

4.83/5  rDev +44.6%

Color- Beautiful hue, an autumn-esqe brown with a lightness to the color.
Clarity- When held to the light, you can see the the amber hue illuminate light brown.
Head- Solid head and great lacing. Not too thick but thick enough to taste in the first drink.

Aroma- Great nutty smell, caramel and coffee accents.
Bouquet- Smells almost like a refreshing dark tea, light carbonation allows the smell to permeate straight through to the nose.
Off Odors- None to be reported

Balance & Flavors- Great refreshing taste from first to last drink. The flavor itself is all that comes through with no obstructions, when the beer is cold the refreshing factor substantially increase. Do not drink this one warm.
Off Flavors- None to be reported
Mouth-Feel/Body- Light carbonation to allow full gulps with little bite. The body is heavy but delivers a light punch for anyone to enjoy.
Tail- Almost no finish or lingering taste beside a refreshing "ahhh" feeling in your mouth.
Carbonation- Lightly carbonated

Drinkability- Love this beer, my go-to when I do not feel adventurous. Always satisfies my desire to drink beer without too much harshness but it harsh enough to feel me full (in beer terms). My favorite brown ale.

12-09-2013 18:00:48 | More by emnarasky
AZYescas

4.03/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

New Castle Brown Ale is one of my favorite beers around. I don't know why it gets poor scores and ratings. Nice nutty aroma and very well balanced. I've started getting my brother in law in this beer and he only drinks Budweiser. although the ABV is low you can still enjoy socially and not worry about pissing every 5 minutes like most other beers here in the states.

11-21-2013 23:42:54 | More by AZYescas
Paracelsus

Indiana

Although I haven't tried as many brews as the majority of people on here, I must say that of all that I have tried, this is by far my favorite beer. I have nothing but good things to say about this brew. I only wish that the other products from the same brewery were up to par with this one.

11-20-2013 22:48:18 | More by Paracelsus
bbluemzbeer

2.14/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

My first English Brown ale . I was not to impressed!

Appearance: It is brown to black color

smells : Nutty and carmel smell to it.

taste: It had a half seconds of taste of nutty and caramel flavor then fade to water taste. I was not impressed with taste.

Mouthfeel : Light moutfeel

Overall : I always thought that dark beer have more taste.
Miller lite and bud light has more taste and cost less. I will taste other English brown ale then compare it to them . In future might be better or worse.

11-04-2013 03:10:49 | More by bbluemzbeer
tillmac62

South Carolina

3.06/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours as it looks with an off white head that laces well. Aroma is light, but of yeast, caramel malt and a slight sweetness coupled with a note of fruit. The taste is balanced, with very little hop influence, but almost bland - no complexity at all. Light bodied and reasonably carbonated. Finishes cleanly with just a hint of hop bitterness.

10-31-2013 20:13:09 | More by tillmac62
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.21/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours light brown with a little caramel colored foam that quickly breaks. Aroma is surprising fruity, not unpleasant, minimal malt and caramel. On the palate the beer is mild brown sugar and dry sweet malt, hints of vinous fruit, vanilla notes, tea. Minimal nuts or chocolate. People taste strong nuts in this? Maybe if your taste buds have some form of Olympic level training. Gustatory illusion based on style expectations I think. Watery tepid body and drinks more like a lager than a brown ale. Finishes with a fairly dry bitter earthy note. Beer with a lofty reputation that is not born out in the tasting.

10-10-2013 00:06:37 | More by CalgaryFMC
GentlemanQuan27

4.34/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Its a smooth brown ale that does the job when you want a cold one. I wasn't a fan of brown ale beers or brown beers til I had this one, then I started to have more. I love that its smooth and it has a taste of its own. But that should be expected when it comes to Newcastle

10-08-2013 20:06:49 | More by GentlemanQuan27
Captain_Komamura

3.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Dark brown, with a thin head and decent retention

Smell - A somewhat sweet malty aroma

Taste - it had a caramel/brown sugar taste to it

Mouthfeel - Goes down smooth, but has a bitter aftertaste

Overall - It was an average beer, an everyday beer.

09-24-2013 04:55:21 | More by Captain_Komamura
JohnnyJam

2.13/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. clear bottle with a date code 29 02 Y L050 59 22 (which no one knows what that means) on it into a pint glass and got 1 1/2 finger of head.

A: Pours a dark brown color (think of an old brown shoe) and I get about 1 1/2 finger of head that dissipates quickly to leave a ring around the glass that lasts to the end. There is a moderate amount of lace at the beginning that sticks and little to none at the end.

S: I smell little except some funky brown sugar industrial thing.

T: It is sweet and it finishes sweet. That is about it.

M: I'm going to say that it is watery and light-bodied but not at all in a good way. The carbonation comes into play just as I'm going to swallow. It kind of sticks in my throat and does not go down good.

O: I don't like this beer and I can't recommend it. I am always surprised and stunned at the following this beer has. I have a friend in L.A. that only serves this beer at his parties and gets upset if you want to bring your own. He will have a server at a taco bar but you have to drink this beer out of a bottle blah! I don't get it at all.

09-24-2013 01:04:28 | More by JohnnyJam
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The appearance of this brown ale is fairly weak with a crystal clear brown hue and a thin white head.

The aromas are relatively straight forward with a barley malt scent, a touch of nuttiness and some semblance of dry caramel malt.

The flavor is strong with pronounced barley, light caramel malt and a nutty, pecan where the beer gets its name.

Newcastle brings an Old World flavor to the New World of beer. I have a personal love of this beer but I still think it has relevance in the beer geek scene.

09-08-2013 02:22:34 | More by KYGunner