Newcastle Brown Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

poor

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Brown Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-29-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newcastle Brown Ale Alström Bros
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.83/5  rDev +15%

A: Not a very robust head but a nice crystal amber/brown color>
S: Nice malty flavor with notes of esters and fruit that really give it a balanced aroma.
T: Nice light fruity tangy flavor not too sweet and good blend of malt flavor with esters and a sweet aftertaste.
D/M: Nice beer, not too carbonated easy to drink. To be honest I really like there marketing campaign. Its what really drew me to try this beer.

07-29-2010 23:11:31 | More by pzrhsau
dditto2

3.93/5  rDev +18%

I love this beer. The downfalls are the ABV and the price.
A- This is in the top five of the most beautiful beers I have seen.
S- After I smell it, I want to tap a keg into my mouth and drink it forever. Fruity and just WOW!
T- It tastes so mellow but delicious. The lack of bitterness is amazingly pleasent. I am a hop lover but the lack of hops in this beer is quite pleasant.
M- The lack of carbonation is a bit strange but it adds to the uniqueness of it, i cant imagine this beer with any more carbonation.
D- These go down so smooth, I could drink them all day if I could afford to do so.
Bit pricey considering its low ABV, Im used to a bit stronger.

07-27-2010 06:36:55 | More by dditto2
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.7/5  rDev +41.1%

What a great beer. Appearance is exceptional. Doesn't look like a beer per se. Smell of wonderul hops and the head isn't bad on this beer either. Taste of hops, but not too strong. It doesn't taste like you are drinking beer, but it is crisp and clean with a smooth taste. Mouthful, can't have too much of it your mouth, it will ruin the taste. Drinkabilty is good, but more than 2 the taste will grow a little old

07-26-2010 20:53:21 | More by yuenglingfan101
bundy462

2.95/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Brown with some orange hues. No head retention at all.

S: Buttery sweet caramel malt with a hint of muted hops.

T: Very malty, finishes extremely clean. Not much flavor throughout, but no offensive flavors either. Better than a crummy mass produced American light beer, but not by much.

M: Very thin.

O: It's so unoffensive that you can drink quite a few. But, it doesn't really offer any taste either.

07-26-2010 00:05:37 | More by bundy462
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.83/5  rDev +15%

Look - Dark amber or brown. One finger's worth of foam.

Smell - Subtle ale smell. Smell's like a nut-brown.

Taste - A little bitter. Nice, almost tap-like freshness, but from a bottle.

Mouthfeel - Medium to lightly creamy.

Drinkability - Good solid ale, not too much on the palate. Easy to come back to for more.

07-25-2010 02:49:30 | More by Nerudamann
scottfrie

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.
12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a woody brown with an instant of finger width head that disappeared before the bottle was poured. No lace.
S: Sweet malt, slight caramel, faint hops and black olives. Not very smelly.
T: Dominated by doughy malt. Sweet up front with a slightly sugary sweet aftertaste. Notes of yeast, dry oats, black tea and nuts.
M: Dry all the way through. A bit watery on the flavor, but it's got some substance to the body. Very low bitterness.
D: Decent cheap beer. Don't know why the bottles are clear, but whatever. Good with food or as a drinkin' beer. No exceptional quality here though.

07-22-2010 01:42:42 | More by scottfrie
Seahawk480

Arizona

3.85/5  rDev +15.6%

Picked up a five liter keg. Heineken Beertender platform. My point? Newcastle is merely ok in a bottle. Out of the Beertender its much better.

The head is tasty and I don't detect that watery aftertaste that I always have out of the bottle.

My great wish is that Newcastle continues to be offered on the Beertender platform. Currently its only sold in California and its a test market.

Since Newcastle has to be shipped to the Heineken plant and kegged there, I wonder if its economical to make beer in England, ship it to the Netherlands and then repackaged for Cali or in my case AZ.

07-21-2010 21:27:43 | More by Seahawk480
djhowell

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

A: On tap, poured into a pint glass. Brownish-red body with a thin white head that dissipates quickly to just a thin film.

S: Not much to the scent: some nuttiness, a little sweetness, no hops to speak of.

T: Nuts, caramel, malt, and a bitter finish. There's something here that seems off and is what I remember from the last time I tried this beer: there's a metallic or soapy flavor that taints everything else. Not a fan.

M: Not a lot of carbonation, thin feeling.

D: I'm still not a fan. The metallic, soapy notes in the flavor are enough to keep me away in the future. It's boring in general though.

07-21-2010 20:52:44 | More by djhowell
beergod1

I think this is 1 of the most underrated beers on here. It is lighter than other Brown Ales we are used to...especially American Browns. But It is a great "go to" beer when pickings are slim, and is readily available. Not so sure about the clear bottle, though. I have had some skunky ones. But this one I'm rating was on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Ashtabula Ohio. 23 oz. of lightly roasted malt, nutty, and maybe a slight dry hop finish. not great body, but just a good solid drinking beer.

07-20-2010 13:10:38 | More by beergod1
ib7jhurley

Alabama

3.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Even though this is not a gourmet, this is the beer that opened my eyes to gourmet beers. This may not be the greatest beer in the world but it is very drinkable. It pours with little head, and dark copper appearance. Slightly sour smell, but with clean taste yet little watery. This is my first post, I know it's not the best, but, I am learning a lot. Hopefully I will be hearing a lot from everyone and vice versa.

07-20-2010 07:18:00 | More by ib7jhurley
newcastleme

3.85/5  rDev +15.6%

When first trying beer, Newcastle was my "Great-Awakening". It is still a personal favorite and will always have a place in my heart. I personally love the smell and the mouthfeel. It's not a great food pairing beer, in my opinion, but it makes a great beer to relax with in front of the television.

07-20-2010 03:23:09 | More by newcastleme
Sudsy89

3.58/5  rDev +7.5%

I find Newcastle to be an average beer in most respects. It's my "go-to" beer if the only alternatives are macro lagers like Bud, Coors, etc. The appearance is pleasant, a light brown cola-like beer, with a modest head and carbonation. Mild, slightly sweet aroma and flavor, a bit of maltiness. Definitely could be a session beer, I prefer the flavor to a lager, yet it doesn't have a higher alcohol content like a stout. I didn't notice any skunkiness I was warned about because of the clear bottle, and prefer beers from the bottle over canned versions. I've also had this on tap and didn't notice much difference.

07-19-2010 03:44:41 | More by Sudsy89
dolzan

Slovenia

3.08/5  rDev -7.5%

Brown coloured with a quickly disappearing head, which makes it look like a glass of coke. So appearance wise, a bit of a downer.

Things aren't quite so bad, when it comes to taste, though. Slightly reminding of caramel, even tea perhaps, but hops is almost unnoticable, which is a bit of a disappointment for an English ale.

It's very drinkable, but lacking in many departments. One of the worst English ales that I have tasted.

07-18-2010 21:03:11 | More by dolzan
TitanTake

Tennessee

4.28/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this while down on the beach.

A - Since I love dark beers, I hoped this wouldn't disappoint. This beer is reddish-brown in appearance. The pour was gave a nice thick head with plenty of lacing.

S - The aroma was hoppy with a rich woodsy back end.

T - Although I was disappointed that this beer wasn't as robust as I was hoping, this beer had a wonderful overall flavor.

M - Very pleasant and smooth

D - This is the type of beer you drink when you need to be refreshed and cooled off. A "no-brainer" or something you don't have to think about.

07-16-2010 20:45:42 | More by TitanTake
Dodt

2.85/5  rDev -14.4%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance amber in color looks almost like cream soda
smell malty with some nut notes
taste flat with mild flavor
mouthfeel slightly bitter
in conclusion its mild flavor is a good beginner beer for you friends that aren't used to craft.

07-14-2010 21:58:28 | More by Dodt
Bestein

Alabama

2.83/5  rDev -15%

I was very anxious to try this beer. The appearance was nice. It came in a nice yellow colored bottle and the color was dark amber brown.

The smell wasn't too strong, but what I could smell was just like most beers I've smelled.

It starts off sweet, but then turns into almost a coffee like taste with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

The feel is good. Slightly heavy but not too bad. Has some carbonation present.

Not impossible to drink, but not that pleasant either, however I do like the slight coffee taste. I wouldn't plan on drinking a lot this type of beer.

07-12-2010 20:05:10 | More by Bestein
malloyca

District of Columbia

3.48/5  rDev +4.5%

This is a very drinkable beer where the whole is better than the sum of the parts. Pouring from the bottle into a pint glass, the head quickly dissipates and the beer has the appearance of cola, which might be off-putting for some beers but didn't bother me with Newcastle. There wasn't much distinctive to note in the aroma. Dark malt and caramel flavors dominate, which together with a light body and more carbonation than one would expect from a brown ale, combine for a refreshing beer. I've found Newcastle is a good hot weather session beer when I am avoiding Corona, Red Stripe and the like.

07-12-2010 17:36:10 | More by malloyca
oc0dyc

Washington

3.63/5  rDev +9%

Bottle served in a stange

A - Dark brown/Amber, tall - large bubbled head

S - Nutty, Malty - not very strong

T - Nutty, Malty, caramel

M - Light, slightly flat

D - A go-to when I don't want something overpowering and just want to enjoy a few beers.

07-12-2010 01:19:19 | More by oc0dyc
nrbw23

3.03/5  rDev -9%

A- Pours a super clear amber-brown color with a very little head. Head turns into a layer of bubble and pretty much no head at all.

S- Smells of floral hops with a good amount of grains. Maybe a bit of a citrus hint too.

T- Taste seems about fake and metallic. Malts seem pretty distant and a bit of hops.

M- Lighter side of medium in body and carbonation was a bit on the higher side.

D- Not a favorite of mine by any means. I guess I'd say ok at best and would look for something else to drink.

07-11-2010 07:47:41 | More by nrbw23
bob5958

3.95/5  rDev +18.6%

I like this beer. I can't say it's the best or my favorite, but it goes well with most foods and many restuarants in our area are starting to serve it on draft.
With food, it doesn't overwhelm anything, has a clean, refreshing taste and goes down easily. It's one of those beers that you could drink all evening and not feel bloated.
I agree with one of the other reviewers, it was better when I first had it in a pub in England.

07-10-2010 16:36:30 | More by bob5958
gboy515duo

3.13/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint glass.

A: It looks like a cola. There was no head whatsoever, just a dark brown cola looking, undercarbonated beverage.

S: Smelled like caramel malts, which i appreciated and let me hopefully anticipate the beer.

T: Taste was off. It didn't taste like it smelled at all. It was definitely malty, but had a very burnt taste. Light woody aftertaste.

M & D: Very good, sits well and fairly easy to drink once you get the first one down

07-08-2010 23:56:03 | More by gboy515duo
jporf911

3.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Appearance- Medium brown, slightly yellow around the edges. Tan head fizzes away quickly.

Smell- Slightly sweet malt combined with a bit of toasted grain.

Taste- Starts sweet and slightly reminiscent of bread, with a taste of buttery toasted grain. The sweetness comes in again at the end.

Mouthfeel- Mostly medium-bodied, smooth, and dry.

Drinkability- Given its ingredients, it's not really a true Brown Ale; however, it's good enough to knock back one or two.

07-04-2010 13:50:30 | More by jporf911
thegodfather2701

3.88/5  rDev +16.5%

A-Pours an amber/brown color with a white head that lasts longer than expected. It also leaves some slight lacing.

S-Malty, somewhat sweet, not hardly any hop presence in the nose. This is the weakest aspect of the beer it smells bland and like a macro beer, with some corn and mustiness present in the nose as well.

T-Malty, touch of sweetness, caramel, and a touch of hops. Once again some corn like flavors come into play.

M-Thin and carbonated.

D-Despite this beer just being average, its drinkability to me is through the roof. I could easily drink this for hours. It was one of the first beers I really liked and it has a fond place in my heart.

06-30-2010 20:23:51 | More by thegodfather2701
mytireisfat

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%

P: Clear 12 oz bottle. Gold medals from 1928 on bottle. Guess they haven't got one sense. Cool fact on the back label. no best by date.

A: Redish/brown color. one finger head that retains ok. Head was brownish white. no lacing. low carbonation.

S: Malty sweetness is the first thing i pick up. like a caramel smell. but after that didn't get much. maybe a little fruity smell, not sure tho.

T: Roasted malt. a little bitterness to it.

M: Medium body. and low carbonation.

D: Pretty easy to drink. but over all its not that great. not much to it. a little of a let down. for a beer that all my friends say is a good one. i would have expected more from. i would buy it again. but its real low on my list.

06-28-2010 06:06:21 | More by mytireisfat
AgentZero

2.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Not the first time I've had this beer, but the first I've taken the opportunity to review it.

A - Pours a transparent, dark brown color with a one finger head that didn't leave much in the way of lacing.

S - Pretty malty with a lot of caramel in thre an a slight nut smell. Sweet.

T - Smooth caramel malt taste that has a little nutty flavor to it. I think the end tastes like some sort of weird chemicals and don't really like that.

M - A bit thin, but pretty average.

D - Easy drinker, not hard to get down.

06-24-2010 15:39:44 | More by AgentZero