2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Newcastle Brown Ale - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

Newcastle Brown AleNewcastle Brown Ale

poor

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Brown Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-29-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newcastle Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,588 | Reviews: 1,459 | Show All Ratings:
simmons

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

Apperance: A dark but clear brown colored ale with small amount of bubbles rising. Thin white lead leaving a thin lace about it

Smell: Very malty. Not sweet but a hearty malt (brown of course). No hop aroma here, just a bready smell.

Taste: The malt has a grainy flavor to it, mildly sweet just enough to give it some taste. There is a slight bitterness just enough to balance the sweetness. No flavor or aroma hops present. Just like the aroma this beer tastes like bread.

Mouthfeel: Mildly carbonated with a great balance between the malt and hops. The water used is not too hard and not too soft making this beer very drinkable.

Overall: This is a tasty beer. Like mentioned above the malt is a hearty malt with a slight sweetness and just enough hops to balance this beer out. Unlike some other beers that are tasty but begin to be overpowering after time this beer is a soild well made beer tha can be drank with out it getting "old'. well done.

09-23-2007 15:37:23 | More by simmons
nasty15108

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured for a 1pt 2.6oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A - Poured leathery brown color with amber hues throughout. The straight pour produced a foamy off-white head that quickly dissapared into a bubbly film. A decent ammount of lacing was left scattered throughout the glass.

S - I think the recipe or bottling of NewCastle for import may have changed a bit since the early 90's when I first started drinking it. I remember it smelling much more nutty and complex. Not too much going as far as an aroma anymore. Slight malt smell with some alcohol mixed in.

T - The taste is still well above average, and IMO much better than most other brown ales (US or UK). Its slightly sweet up front with little hints of butterscotch and nuts followed by the tiniest bit of hop bitterness in the finish.

MF&D - Medium bodied and smooth. Coats the mouth decently and leaves a bit of sweetness on the lips. The fact that NewCastle is not overly carbonated makes it a top notch session ale.

03-29-2008 21:21:25 | More by nasty15108
JohnnyWS6

Maryland

This was a "premium draft" at Applebees
Rich brown color with an nice head but it dwindled quickly.
Nutty mildly sweet aroma
Smooth mouthfeel and taste. Malty,nutty sweet taste and a really nice finish.

My friends and the waiter suggested this beer and I am glad I took the advice. I will surely be having this again. I loved it.

10-30-2008 02:04:11 | More by JohnnyWS6
Long813

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

A: Pours a dark brown body with two fingers of white fluffy head. Retention is good and leaves nice lacing.

S: Roasted malts, some caramel and nuttiness. Not overly strong, but pleasant.

T: Roasted malts and nuts mixed with some caramel and hops. The flavour is extremely balanced and tasteful.

M: Light bodied with medium-low carbonation. Texture is water like with a great malt finish.

O: A great brew. The flavours, texture and aromas are very balanced and is a pleasure to drink any time of the day.

03-13-2012 19:46:13 | More by Long813
GentlemanQuan27

4.34/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Its a smooth brown ale that does the job when you want a cold one. I wasn't a fan of brown ale beers or brown beers til I had this one, then I started to have more. I love that its smooth and it has a taste of its own. But that should be expected when it comes to Newcastle

10-08-2013 20:06:49 | More by GentlemanQuan27
jdhilt

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev +29.6%

Found on tap at the Outback Steakhouse, always a good choice, a sweet brown, smooth an easy 16oz ale to drink. The ABV is 4.7%.

04-27-2002 19:46:18 | More by jdhilt
TheBishop

Montana

12 oz Bottle

To this day the most drinkable beer I ever had, I have had better, but no other beer drinks as easy making it a good session beer. With that being said.

Pours a Light Brown with a thin head that dissapates quickly.

Nose is not overpowering, maybe be a bit underwhelming light sense of carmel and chocolate

Taste is on the light side, little carbination is present, excellent taste, with no aftertaste present.

Highly drinkable, There are better browns, but not near as drinkable or widely available. A good choice.

09-22-2007 03:45:40 | More by TheBishop
wesleyhighley

4.33/5  rDev +29.6%

Got a hankerin' for a good pub ale? Newcastle definitely fits the bill for me! It's available at most decent bars, if not on tap then definitely in a bottle. I don't often go for it, but I always am pleased when I order one up. It's got a really classic, true-to-style taste.

10-08-2007 19:35:09 | More by wesleyhighley
trackstar1043

4.33/5  rDev +29.6%

A - Darker golden brown with a white foamy head, great pouring beer.

S - Sweet bits of carmel and fruit with a mild but smokey aroma, great.

T - Med-bodied with a buttery smooth mixure of carmel, fruit, roasted nuts.

M - Extremely smooth but slighty heavy with a great smooth and clean finish.

D - Anyday and everyday, Great beer to relax at the end of the day or enjoy a nice dinner with.

02-15-2008 23:07:42 | More by trackstar1043
eweneek83

West Virginia

4.33/5  rDev +29.6%

This one is my favorite beer, although not the best beer I've tried by far, I just love it. So here's a fair review of old Newcastle Brown Ale.

Served from 12oz bottle

Appearance - It pours finely with a tint much like sweet tea, about a 1 and 1/2 inch thick head which dissipates after a couple drinks.

Smell - At first it smells a bit sweet, with a raisiny and malty smell, a bit of alcohol peaks through too. A smokey syrup smell.

Taste - Taste is somewhat bold for such a recently commercialized beer, more raisiny tastes and English hops come together for a great 'brown ale' taste. Not too strong though.

Mouthfeel - This one leaves the mouth feeling a bit astringent, a little on the thin side, but not watery. A pleasant aftertaste reminds you that you aren't drinking cheap American lager, which is a good thing.

Drinkability - This one is an old-stand by if you're not in the mood for a heavier, bolder beer, and not quite in the mood for yellow fizzy water as well. Get a couple pints of these ice cold and you'll have a great evening.

07-23-2008 06:18:41 | More by eweneek83
wrcraigl

4.33/5  rDev +29.6%

This beer is my go to. It has a great taste and is easy to get anywhere for the reasonable price. I have had this on draught as well and its even better. If you are an ale fan this is one to try or retry. I would like to try and make my own personal brew similar to this one.

02-24-2011 23:58:50 | More by wrcraigl
BrandonUB

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Not impressive to me on initial appearance, with a typical light head, but a somewhat "off" color, in my opinion.

T - Really the strongest portion of Newcastle, for me. Nice butterscotch and caramel notes really make it an enjoyable and lively drink.

D - Tremendously drinkable, and always a nice one to break out for people who haven't yet gotten into craft brewing.

Newcastle is among my favorites - it's a a well rounded (if not distinguished) brown ale thats very easy drinking. I find that many people who typically drink low taste American lagers are still able to appreciate it, which is important to me since I have lots of young friends.

11-17-2006 21:33:34 | More by BrandonUB
kelticblood

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

I love the appearance of Newcastle in it's classic clear bottles. You can actually see what your going to be drinking. I wish all beer were in clear bottles. This has to be one of the most drinkable beers i've ever had. I could drink this at any time or point in the year. Totally refreshing and great with any meal. Sweet malt and honey taste with a slight hop bitterness on the finish. Creamy medium-bodied texture that goes down smooth. Depending on how hard you pour it will determine the size of the head. A gentle pour will not leave much of a head, and leave minimal lacing. The mouthfeel could be a bit more crisper. Overall great drinkable beer that shouldnt offend the lightest of beer drinkers.

02-11-2007 22:55:25 | More by kelticblood
dupee14

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

I thoroughly enjoy this beer. I have not had the opportunity to try a lot of brown ale's but I find that I am consistently buying Newcastle. It is a rich flavor but the drinkablitly is very smooth. I feel like it starts out as a hoppier beer but when it ends, it is very good. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a quality beer available most places.

03-18-2009 02:12:34 | More by dupee14
Dave1999

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Although originally brewed in Newcastle this beer is now brewed in my home town of Edinburgh.Therefore I have a bit of a soft spot for this stuff.

I am reviewing this based on a 500ml bottle but have had it numerous time in both 12 ounce bottle and on tap.

Newky Broon as the name suggests is nice brown colour, if slightly red also. It has a nice foamy head which sticks around for a while.

The smell is strong malts and even a little skunky.

This tastes great its got caramel, malts and is slightly bitter.

Feel smooth in the mouth with just the right level of carbonation.

I really like this beer, it may not be exceptional but every time I drink it I always want one more.

02-01-2012 15:20:07 | More by Dave1999

4.28/5  rDev +28.1%

This beer is an easy drinking, great starter beer. It's the kind of beer that you order first in the night and every subsequent after. Don't drink other beers before this one, or the taste will be ruined. The flavor leaves dryness in your mouth that makes you want another. All in all a good beer.

08-04-2006 17:20:01 | More by 972
Steaks

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +28.1%

I prefer to drink this guy out of a can, but bottles are more common and also delicous. This is my favorite common beer. Delicious as can be and smooth as hell. Goes good with just about anything and the cans look extremely classy. It doesn't even look like a beer can! Great fun to be had here!

12-11-2007 09:54:16 | More by Steaks
Draughted

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - 4.0 - A beautiful light brown with smooth head.
S - 3.5 - Aromas of carmel, hops, and molasses. Try to drink of a tap whenever possible. When served from a 12 oz bottle, the clear glass container sometimes causes the beer's scent to change to a skunkier smell than when compared to a fresher bottle or direct from the tap.
T - 4.5 - Incredibly easy to drink brown ale. Not overpowering, smooth molasses / honey like flavor, yet not overpoweringly sweet. Most importantly, unlike other Brown Ales, it does not cross over into the Stout/Porter category, whereas others might have a stronger roasted hop flavor.
M - 4.5 - High carbonation for an ale and when served cold is extremely palette friendly. The bubbles of the beer are refreshing for an ale.
D - 4.5 - The most drinkable of any Brown Ale, can easily finish multiple Newcastles and they go great with steaks.

03-17-2009 07:18:56 | More by Draughted
TitanTake

Tennessee

4.28/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this while down on the beach.

A - Since I love dark beers, I hoped this wouldn't disappoint. This beer is reddish-brown in appearance. The pour was gave a nice thick head with plenty of lacing.

S - The aroma was hoppy with a rich woodsy back end.

T - Although I was disappointed that this beer wasn't as robust as I was hoping, this beer had a wonderful overall flavor.

M - Very pleasant and smooth

D - This is the type of beer you drink when you need to be refreshed and cooled off. A "no-brainer" or something you don't have to think about.

07-16-2010 20:45:42 | More by TitanTake
KentuckyBeerCat

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +28.1%

This is easily my favorite beer in the world. I love me some Newcastle Brown Ale. I could seriously drink it all day!!! Probably the easiest to drink and enjoy that I've ever had. It's just simply and amazing beer to drink. I would without a doubt recommend this one to anyone.

10-06-2010 14:56:48 | More by KentuckyBeerCat
K9AleingPiss

Oklahoma

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance was rather rusty ,but very good body and a nice bubble top. The first whiff was a bit odd,but it improved the longer it sat. It has a good fruity ,malty odor and taste and robust finish that didnt leave me thirsty,very satisfying. I would recommned this beer for anything. Heavy enough for a good jolt an light enough to be refreshing. Great beer

07-16-2012 00:19:46 | More by K9AleingPiss
jyeast101

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brown/ Amber in color with a slight beige head. A nutty, malty smell, with a slight tart smell. A very familiar taste. This was my first beer and I was lucky. I was 19 and in the Red Lion Pub in Chicago. It took me a good five years to find it again (Lived in Iowa, this was in 1989). Very smooth in taste with a sweet maly taste. A very drinkable beer.

05-04-2006 20:06:19 | More by jyeast101
DraperyFalls

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

Personally, I love this beer. The color is a beautiful glowing mahogany with a small amount of creamy head. The smell however, is average to below average with an expected nutty/floral aroma (nothing too surprising or exciting). The real appeal for me comes in the easy to drink taste and good mouthfeel. Obviously, it's not the most complex or delicately crafted beer, but it's simplicity makes this my favorite beer to sit around a board game or an open grill with.

06-09-2009 12:10:21 | More by DraperyFalls
DrDemento456

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

First review of the night!

A - Dark amber in color with an inch of lacing that's creamy and inviting
S - To me it smells more like a lager than an ale. A bit malty and slight nutty.
T - Very toasty! Taste much more balance than expected from the smell.
M - Thin and drinkable. Really complements my turkey dog.
D - A very nice brown ale that delivers in the malt and nut flavors but Turbo Dog is still my nut brown of choice.

03-22-2010 05:45:55 | More by DrDemento456
Dpal

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

You have to give Newcastle Brown Ale props for being different.

It is like a prepackaged black and tan. It has an excellent sweet and hoppy combination. It is truly different ; I wince a little on the first sip, then truly start to enjoy it.

You definitely can't compare it to other beers. It is truly unique.
It does have more of a tea than malt feeling but, I like it.

07-26-2012 01:29:32 | More by Dpal