Newcastle Werewolf - The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited

The Caledonian Brewery Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Irish Red Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Zorro on 07-17-2011)
3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a BrewDog cervoise glass. No date, but this one is probably pretty old...I bought it for $5/6-pack about three months ago.

A: Substantial, bubbly head (three fingers). The beer is not quite blood-red, but is red-gold. Clear, with good lacing.

S: Bright berries and bready malts. Lightly sour, lightly dry.

T: Much the same as the smell, but with the addition of chocolatey dryness at the endtaste. Berry sweetness combined with the relatively thin body and understated carbonation makes this taste a little bit like raspberry lemonade. Then the drying malt and subtle hops remind me that this is definitely an ale, and a pretty good one at that.

O: I like it, especially for the price. Nothing that's going to knock your socks off, but a solid beer, and a damn sight preferable to Newcastle Brown.

AgentMunky, Jan 11, 2012

monkeylice, Jan 06, 2012
3.35/5  rDev +5%

Picked up a six at Total Wine in Columbia, SC. Pours a clear coppery color with some ruby highlights. Thick rocky head with a good amount of lacing. The aroma is classic English, malty, caramel,with just a faint aroma of English hops. This beer kinda reminded me of the old Bass before InBev moved the brewing location and ruined it. Well balanced with a fruity slightly malty flavour with a little twang in the finish.I would definitely buy it again. Aaahoo!

clemtig76, Jan 04, 2012

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

jesus808, Dec 20, 2011

fryer98, Dec 16, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

I actually liked this beer quite a bit more than my score may show. I enjoy the experience of different kinds of beer and Newcastle is a decent beer. Their Newcastle didn't disappoint me, but didn't knock my socks off either. The best thing about this beer was probably its appearance to me. I would recommend the beer to try out to others though if your looking for something new.

dunit697, Dec 13, 2011

delzer13, Dec 13, 2011

SATBMan, Dec 01, 2011

BankerNes, Nov 30, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Oooooh, this be a bitter red ale, folks. It reminds me of Old Speckled Hen...and for those of you who enjoy the bitterness, more power to you. I brought this on tap at work for the Fall season. The name sold it as did the fact it was a child of the Newcastle Family. But not all Nukes are created equal. Through the "Bartending Grapevine" I have heard this most recent batch did not sell as well as the last. All heresay, sure, but unless my Beer Geeks beg me to bring it back at our pub, I'm not doin' it.

Windigo, Nov 28, 2011

barnzy78, Nov 28, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

A= Deep ruby brown color, nice foamy head

S= Nuts, Toasty malts

T= Like a Newcastle with a berry slight berry taste. To much of a sugary after taste on my tongue. Metallic.

M= Werewolf had a light medium body with low carbonation. Not to my liking.

O= I rather have a regular Newcastle. Not very drinkable. My Wife seemed to enjoy it so I would only buy again if she requested it. No wonder my friend gave it to me as a parting gift When I left his house.

Sheepdog, Nov 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Bottle

Thanks for the gift, DarthKostrizer!

Clear amber and light brown with a very thin, nearly non-existent khaki colored head that eventually leaves lines of lacing down the glass.

The aroma consists of toast, perhaps slightly burned, table bread, and an earthy, grassy hop character.

The flavor follows the nose but is more bitter than I would have imagined. The hops are quite earthy, and there's just a bit of bready sweetness.

The biggest detractor to this beer its its mouthfeel--it's very thin with low carbonation and somewhat metallic. Watery.

Average, I suppose.

KidRagnarok, Nov 15, 2011

nightwing002, Nov 14, 2011

TEAMHOLT, Nov 14, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -12.9%

A: dark red/brown color, clear, light tan dissipating head.
S: muted. some toffee and dark caramel and maybe a hint of chocolate and roasted nuts.
T: almost no malt sweetness and just a touch of earthy hop bitterness and some spiciness from the rye. very dry due to the high attenuation. a bit of a sourish twang.
M: light, kinda thin and fizzy.
O: if not for the difference in color, i could hardly tell this apart from regular newkie brown.

MrMcGibblets, Nov 09, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thin whide head, amber brown body.

Malty nose, some tartness, some nut.

Slightly tart taste, lots of nutty, roasty malt. A bit acrid. Pretty standard.

Mouthfeel a bit prickly and foamy.

Decent, not a letdown, but by no means extraordinary. Little to say overall.

zaphodchak, Nov 03, 2011