Urtyp 1878 - Lohrer Bier/Privatbrauerei Stumpf GmbH

Urtyp 1878Urtyp 1878

Lohrer Bier/Privatbrauerei Stumpf GmbH
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: LarryKemp on 01-12-2003)
Reviews by Lee_Hancock:
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Lee_Hancock, Sep 25, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Clear, golden in hue with the slightest coppery highlight, a slight stream of animation danced towards the white head. At the apex the foam was over three fingers tall, impressive. Awesome head retention, the foam hardly moved. Okay, after awhile the head did collapse to a thin cap. The subsequent lacing was widespread and organized. I have no complaints with the appearance.

The nose is wonderfully grainy with hints of husks, dried bread, and toast. I also get hints of apples. The hops offer some soft floral notes. Mildly earthy throughout; the caramel malt finish is perfect. This is not a very hoppy German Pils, which is okay. I really like the overall impression the noses gives off. Simple but well stated, I think I shall take a sip.

The first few sips were, frankly, average. I was kind of sad. However, the grace of this beer finally found a home on my tongue. Spicy, earthy, flowery hops upfront and they linger well into the middle. Some really pleasant caramel malt is found here along with crackers, toast, and husk. Slightly sweet as it nears the end and then grainy before the finish; well-rounded conclusion. The aftertaste is kind of weak but I can live with it.

Medium/medium-light in body, the carbonation is ideal, moderate and yet creamy. The mouthfeel is a tad thin for me; I’d even call it watery. Nevertheless, it is not distracting.

Even though this German Pils came straight from Germany (Thank You RedHaze!) there is something dirty about it. I wonder if this is how a German Pils is suppose to taste? Of course I’ve tried many of the style, I’ve liked if not loved most but there is something different here. Maybe this beer is a tad idiosyncratic? Maybe I am overanalyzing it. Probably. I found this beer to be very drinkable, I could kick back and kill a few. Snazzy bottle, tasty beer, I’d drink more if I could. Again, thanks RedHaze for the bottle, it was enjoyed.

Best-by: 21 01 07

bditty187, Sep 22, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured from .5L bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a medium copper amber with ok carbonation. The head is 2 big fingers off white and leaves some lace.

The smell is medium hoppy, nice light roasted malt and a touch of citrus.

The taste is interesting the extra roasting of the malt has added a bit to the standard pils. Bready malt, mild hops not real sharp and a bobble gum like finish.

The mouthfeel is good medium nice body and good carbonation.

The drinkability is ok not a bad brew but not enough to really grab you.

Prosit, MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jun 16, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Brilliant clear golden color, with a small, persistent white head, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Light pale malt aroma, faint noble hops, and a note of sour green apple.

Taste: Tart, crisp pale malt turns to a mild, spicy noble hop note at the finish. The hop presence seems a bit understated.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, with a slightly sharp note of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A very pleasant example, even if a bit understated for the style. Certainly worth the effort to acquire.

Thanks to acoatley for generously sharing this example.

Pegasus, Aug 27, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

This beer pours a crystal clear light copper with a thin white fluffy head.

Smells of bread dough, play dough and a mild indeterminate acidic essence.

The flavor is very light and the “lager” flavor doesn’t translate from the smell. Also tastes of apples, celery and a slight dryness with a clean finish.

The mouth feel is super light that just the disappears in my mouth.

DarkerTheBetter, Dec 30, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

This brew was one of my mainstays the last time I was stationed in Germany, so let's see how I feel about this brew after getting involved in the microbrew scene.

Um, I think this brew is victim to oxidization. The head produced was quite impressive at first, but disappeared quite quickly into soapy looking lacing. The body looks great, with a deep gold color.

Aromas are decent with sweet doughy and lemony fragrances.

This tastes very lemony and slightly doughy in the end.

This sample was a little bland, but I believe this deserves yet another chance.

TheSarge, Aug 29, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A - A nice clear gold color. Small white head, but very nice sticky lacing.

S - Hint of apple and floral hops. A little caramel malt, not much else though.

T - Crisp malt with a spicy hop at the finish. A little weak taste, but good nonetheless. Pretty solid on the taste.

M - Smooth.. On the lighter side when it comes to the body. Carbonation is moderate. It's a little on the watery feel, but it's not a bad thing.

D - A very pleasant easy to drink beer. Definitely could kick back and drink a few of them.

epicness, Aug 03, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +20.2%

A - It's a cloudy mid to dark amber - Little bit of consistant carbonation.
S - Fairly new to this; but it's got a nice aroma. Not sure exactly what i'm smelling; maybe a little bit of a citrus'y smell, little bit of hops.. ...very good smell to it though.
T & M - Tastes great and very smooth from the beginning to the end. Definatly taste some of the hops.. not sweet, but not real bitter.
D - Great! Can drink this all day!

Definatley recommend!! Great beer, kind of reminds me of a Sam Adams Boston Lager.

aksuited29, Jun 30, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

HazardousBrewer, Jan 30, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +1%

BB 09-10-05. White head, white rapidly forming bigger bubbels and decreasing. Beercolor is gold/orange and cristal clear. Nose is malty and quiet spicy for a lager but partly must be cause of nice hoparome. taste of the brew is malty and for a pils quiet sweet. Afterward a good but moderate bitterness comes in. Good balance between sweet, bitter and flavor of the brew. Mouthfeel is plesant and yeah this would be a good brew to just drink all day long in the beergarten with a nice springsun.

paterlodie, Jun 05, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Just brought this back from my trip to Germany.

Pours a very clear bronze with a one and a half finger head that fades slowly to a thick layer of foam, leaving behind a thick sheet of lace. Unfortunately, the head completely fades away after a little while.

Smell; somewhat grainy and malty, with some hints of apples. There's also some hints of hops in there, but not real strong.

Taste; I'm not a huge Pils fan, but this actually tastes pretty darn good. This has a fairly strong graininess to it that I find appealing. The apples that I noticed in the aroma come out a touch more strongly in the flavor as well as a little hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, which is thicker than I would have expected from a Pils, and pretty darn drinkble.

RedHaze, Jul 22, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a 500 ml bottle bought in the region of Germany where the brewery is located.

A - Beer is crystal clear and a deep golden or light copper color. Initially the head is a thin white layer, but it fades to very wispy remnants.

S - The aroma is somewhere in between a pilsner and a darker Vienna lager. I get noble hops and crisp pilsner malt, but there are also some warm bready notes that are unusual in a pilsner. It is inviting, but all the aromas are a bit muted and don't jump out at me.

T - The taste is of rounded, bready malt with some balancing bitterness and noble hops. Toward the end of the sip there is a sharp, almost sulfur-like flavor that detracts for me. No alcohol evident.

M - Light to medium body. Carbonation is not much of a factor in the mouthfeel. No alcohol burn.

O - Overall a pleasant and drinkable beer. I enjoy marzens and Vienna lagers much more than pilsners, so this appeals to me more than most pilsners, but I'd rather just drink one of the darker German styles directly.

Radome, Oct 07, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

wrightst, Aug 24, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Bought at the Spang-quentin shoppette, poured out the little stubby chode bottle into a Hefe glass. This drink poured out to a dull amber color, cloudy and carbonated. The beer had a raging 2-pump-chump head, real intense but really short. Only thing left atop this amber liquid is some soapy lacing which isn't too impressive.

The smell instantly hints lemon to me. Definate wheat on the nose with some fruity undertones. It's very light and unoffensive and I like it. Nothing too complex though.

The taste... is not what I expected. I'm not liking the over the top tart / bitter thing going on here from the first few sips. The more drinks I take the more it seems to open up. Some apples some cinnamon and a light floral and hoppy attitude seem to come through the grainy flavor this beer has. It's a little more complex then average, which is something that definately gains my respect. The aftertaste lingers for a minute wayyy back on your tongue and results and in a pretty smooth finish.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are both a little above average.

I recommend this beer, it's definately a memorable one.

BleedBlueUSAF, Mar 17, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

hazy gold in color with a pure white head.The head fades quickly to a thin white line.
Sweet on the nose,malt, honey and a nice whiff of hops.pleasant slightly creamy mouthfeel.True to its nose it is sweet,gently malty and again a honey like flavor .The hops present themselves more as the glass warms. A very refreshing beer,great on a hot summer day.thanks to my Co worker Jim for getting this all the way from germany.It seems to have survived the trip nicely.

steorn, Jun 13, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle Inspection: Very cool brown flip top bottle, great label art

Aroma: I got a firm whiff of acetaldehyde (green apple) but not unpleasant. Smell is, this is odd, dry, with a nice noble hop undercurrent.

Appearance: Clear deep gold glass sports a thin white collar that fails to lace.

Flavor: Nice sweet base that dries out quickly into a soft noble hop taste, but not really a bitter. If I was going by style, I’d slam it for not having nearly enough hops, but from a taste perspective, it’s very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Very dry, medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall Impression: A very enjoyable beer. Balance isn’t where it should be for a Pils, but I don’t care, it tastes great!

Thanks to acoatley for sharing the bottle, and to his brother for bringing it back from Germany!

HardTarget, May 14, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

I received a bottle of this brew from a friend who got a case for a wedding gift. Clearly marked best before end 29-10-06 on back of bottle. It poured a clear copper color with a clean white head. Hardly any lacing and the head dissipated rather quickly. There was nice carbonation that kept the flavor fresh on my pallet. It poured very nice with a two finger head. Smells light and malty with a mild hint of a toasted caramel flavor. There is a faint floral hop presence. Extremely smooth and drinkable. Tastes light and refreshing. Well balanced flavor nice light pale malt flavor followed by a smooth hop finish. Very well constructed flavor. Good mouth feel and great drink ability. Mild fruit hints emerge as the beer warms. Very tasty brew. I will try to get another beer or two from my buddy. Well worth trying.

bigone4, Oct 12, 2006

grittybrews, Aug 25, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks to John for this one! 500 ml bottle into a pint glass. 5.2% indicated on bottle, and a 2009 best-by date. Ah well.

A: Pours a darker amber color. There's also a lot of unattractive sediment in the pour, also. The head is a two finger white shade with a fairly bubbly yet creamy texture.

S: Sweet - like a good dunkel, really. Notes of caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, banana, bubblegum, and wheat abound here.

T: This is about as much of a pilsner as I am the second coming of Robert Griffin III. A sweet, caramel-forward opening is balanced somewhat by its crisp wheat finish. I even notice the slightest hint of hops - not bad for something that has to be 5 years old. Tones of musty cardboard indicate its age, though. Still, it's held up well.

M: It has a decent body, with a wet lingering finish. A bit sweet and (perhaps) undercarbonated all told, but I can forgive that taking its age into consideration.

O: Given how old it is, it's actually pretty good. I'd even seek out a fresh bottle, provided they exist.

ThisWangsChung, Apr 06, 2013

Ryan1423, Nov 26, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Swing top bottle opened with a moderate pop which surprised me. The liquid inside surprised me more.

Find, clear medium gold color. Head was firm but not long lasting. The only thing I would rate average. Aroma and taste was clean and crisp. The noble hops were dominate but some malt snuck in there. The bitterness lingered long on the tongue after the beer slipped down my throat.

The mouthfeel was light and carbonated.

This is a delightful beer. I would recommend it and I usually will pass on a pilsner if there is anything else to drink.

LarryKemp, Jan 12, 2003