Welcome To Scoville Jalapeño IPA - Jailbreak Brewing Company

good

Jailbreak Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: yourefragile on 04-18-2014

An artisanal style IPA combining mildly bitter hops, garden fresh jalapeño peppers and cilantro. It’s an easy drinking IPA without the burn or bittering one might expect.
to view more.
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 12
Reviews by Hearneator:
3.67/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

strong jalapeno aroma, taste hits that mark. the flavor is there without the heat. interesting brew but glad I only bought a single.

3.45/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color. The head is two fingers high, and off-white in shade. Both the texture and retention are top-notch, even for the style. Webs of lacing are left on the glass. A nice looking brew, period. (4.25)

Smell: Wow, jalapeno is coming through nicely. Just as advertised, it doesn't seem to feature much heat, rather just jalapeno skin/flesh. Beneath that, it's a pretty average IPA, with caramel, toffee, and hint of citrus. Still, the chilies do enough to raise it well beyond 'average'. (3.5)

Taste: Jailbreak was definitely going for a "subtle and heatless, yet still evident" approach to the jalapenos here - and they pulled it off. I get a little pepper on the front and back ends respectively, book-ending a standard-issue IPA. This does bring malt notes of caramel, as well as a faint touch of citrus from the hops. It seems to taste a bit fresher than Big Punisher did, too. Only thing I seem to miss are some cilantro notes here and there. The jalapeno presence is quite pleasant, helping to redeem an otherwise average IPA. (3.25)

Mouthfeel: Despite the initial crispness, the malts make themselves known thoroughly here. It's full-bodied, and not entirely dry finishing. Carbonation is fairly easygoing, resulting in a beer that isn't eminently drinkable. The creamy feel, though, is quite satisfying. (3.5)

Overall: Big Punisher was hugely disappointing - a Citra-brewed DIPA in cans, that managed to taste several months old even nigh-on brewery fresh. This is the opposite - it sounds like a gimmick that could go awry, but it genuinely works to an extent. Still, I can't help but shake the fact that this could have been fantastic if the base IPA had been leaner and slightly hoppier. This is still a worthy offering, though, and something that will make a fantastic cooking adjunct. (3.5)

3.45/5: A chili beer done right?

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Heard decent things about this, but didn't have high expectations as this beer sounded a little gimmicky.

Pours golden amber with a poufy white head. Sticky lace on the glass. Aroma is an interesting combo of, yep, citrusy hops and jalapeño. My first impression of the taste is earthy. Honestly, it reminded me of the earthy, roasty nature of coffee stouts, albeit with different flavors. The jalapeño warms the tongue but doesn't overpower, rather balances the fruity hops nicely. The can mentions cilantro, but I can't find it. Ends with pleasant bitterness. Body is right on for just shy of 7%, and went down rather easy for the unique flavor.

I'm most definitely a fan, but it may not be for everyone. It still retains the characteristics of an IPA, so give it a whirl. Different, in a great way.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

When I first saw Welcome to Scoville on the menu I couldn't help but think that it was just a lame attempt to be different. I soon discovered that I love pepper infused IPAs and I just met the standard to which others should be compared. See, I expected a spicy hot zing masking an otherwise mediocre IPA. Instead, Welcome to Scoville is a well balanced IPA with a hint of jalapeño flavor in perfect proportion. It reminds me of the first time I had red hots and kettle corn... the combination sounds bizarre and unnecessary, but the flavors are surprisingly compatible. Its fresh, its unique, and its great from both the tap and the can. I'd have to say the only negative comment I can make is that it isn't the type of beer you want night after night or back to back. That said, most great things are best in moderation.

3.54/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a tulip. Very fresh since I live in Maryland, canned about two weeks ago.

It looks great, nice amber color with a beautiful fluffy head. The smell is jalapeño with a bit of earthy hops. So the taste is a clear jalapeño with a very sweet malt finish. The real problem is I think most of the hops get lost in the pepper flavor. There is no heat at all. The beer tastes fine and is very smooth but the malts may need to be toned down a bit. The mouthfeel is full and the malts leave a sticky syrupy film.

I like the beer but I am not sure I would want this over another regular old IPA. I think the pepper taste is good but that is the main draw of the beer. I applaud the attempt at a tweak on the traditional style. If you love that jalapeño flavor then give this a go

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz can into a standard pint glass. Moderate hand. Forgot to check a date.

A: Copper body with nice clarity. 1 finger of off-white head. Average retention. Nice lacing.

S: Lots of jalapeno pepper backed by fruit-forward hops. Really nice, I'd say. Light caramel. Light citrus and indistinct berry. Maybe I'm imagining it, but sweet corncake/cornbread?

T: A moderate, easy-going hop bitterness opens, tempered further with the essence of jalapeno. The malts develop to deliver a bit of sweetness, grain and caramel flavors that sit nicely in the mix. Alcohol is well hidden. Lingering hops and pepper in the aftertaste with a slight element of capsaicin.

M: Moderate carbonation with a medium body. Feels a touch too light.

O: I am a fan of chili beers and I enjoyed this one, albeit with minimal heat. The nose is particularly nice and pepper-forward. Very drinkable. Not particularly deep, but the hops and the jalapeno mesh quite well.

Prost!

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Nice flavor of hot peppers, minus the burn.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First half pint was new but after that cannot get enough.

4.31/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the cleanest IPAs I have ever had. What a great beer for the price!

4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Their Jalapeno IPA is delicious. Full of pepper flavor but not heat. I was worried it would be spicy; Nope! Lots of IPA's taste about the same, but this one tastes unique and is totally delicious. Not overly hopped, but bursting with flavor. Easy drinking, good mouthfeel and nose.

3.59/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

One of the better spicy/hoppy beers I've had; the jalapeno is more of a hint and complements the malt base & hoppy bitterness well.

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a can. Looks good, has a nice amber/orange color, same color as the can (not a coincidence). Smells very good. Can definitely detect the jalapeno. Nice flavor, but not too strong with the peppers. Good IPA flavor without being overly bitter. I like this more than I thought I would.

to view more.