Ginga Kogen Weizen - Ginga Kogen Beer

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-03-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

The head's creamy, the body of a slightly hazy golden color. It looks pretty active.The usual suspects in the smell: wheat and yeast, together with ripe banana aromas, maybe hints of strawberries. An impression of freshness invades the nose.
The taste is basically what you would expect from the smell and from a hefe weizen: nice refreshing yeasty and wheaty flavors, some sweet banana notes; the difference with other beers of the style was the more pronounced citric aspect of the brew: very sweet, there's almost some tart biting the tongue after the first gulp. Sweet almost like powdered sugar on a meringue, with the crispness, the melting aspect and the floury notes of a meringue. The mouthfeel is thick enough, very creamy and enjoyable. A nice level of carbonation. The finish is quite dry, but the round feelings of the first sips of the beer remain in my mind as I drink it. Good.

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Brought a can of this back from Japan, and was pleasantly suprised to find out it was a hefeweizen. I knew the beer was a Ginga Kogen (which is good), but I had no idea what is specifically was, due to my appalling knowledge of kanji.

Well here we have a fairly traditional hefeweizen. The body is a clouded yellow with an effusive white head and great lacing. Standard aroma of banana and clove, but its well done and fits the style bill perfectly. The taste is predominantly weighted towards the banana, but a nice orange peel bitterness rounds things off and cuts through the sweetness. The wheat also seems to be of good quality, presenting a nice clean profile. The mouthfeel is on the light side, but it is smoothing and the carbonation is refreshing.

My appreciation for hefes is growing by the day. Other than IPAs, it seems to be the style that I constantly find myself gravitating towards, so I'm glad this mystery beer turned out well. In fact, I found this to be a very solid rendition of the style - it didn't really excel in any category, but it does follow the style guidelines very closely, and this helps to make a supremely drinkable brew.

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 300 ml bottle into a weizen glass

Pours a cloudy light gold capped with a two and half finger clean white fluffy head. Above average retention and plenty of splotchy lacing. Bready yeast, banana, clove, and light lemongrass accent. Opens with banana tinged yeast, clove and perhaps a hint of coriander. Finishes with lightly sweet white bread, perhaps even some angel cake and more banana hints. Abundant, bubbly carbonation, very pleasantly creamy. The heavier side of light bodied to very light medium bodied. An excellent hefeweizen. I'm hopeful that the local Japanese supermarket will keep this stocked through the summer.

4.23/5  rDev +14%

Beautiful cloudy pour with a nice white head, and in a very cool blue bottle. I love this beer, it is decently priced and in a shop right around the corner from my house. My go to beer when I crave something other than the standard conbini lager Japanese swill. Goes down very smooth...

4.37/5  rDev +17.8%

I admit it was my first time trying a Ginga Kogen beer. And compared to the "other" Asian beers on the market, this beer was better in EVERY way, even thought the price was a bit a steep for a 330ml bottle (I believe it as $4.59).

For starters is it a fairly traditional German hefeweizen. The body is a clouded yellow with a generous white head and a fair amount lacing. I didn't however notice that unfiltered nature of the beer as was indicated on the bottle. The beer also seemed to be lacking on the banana and clove taste that is normally associated with this type of beer, but in its defense, I have been drinking A LOT of traditional German Hefeweizen.

There also is a slight, lingering taste of orange on the finish. When all of this is factored in with the cleanliness of the wheat and a smooth light carbonation, it makes for a rather tasty beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last