Victory Lager - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Lager Alström Bros
bkaj21

02-08-2012 03:53:19 | More by bkaj21
beep71

1.35/5  rDev -62.2%

I was given a few of these at a family dinner over the holidays. This brewery is local, but I've never had this before and was looking forward to it. I popped the cap and poured, and was instantly disappointed. Very little head, and a cheap beer color. The smell wasn't all that pleasing, and the taste was worse. easily the worst microbrew lager I've had. Thank God I didn't have to pay for it. I never will, not when I can buy Yuengling for less and not ever be wishing I didn't.

01-15-2011 04:33:38 | More by beep71
yesyouam

1.7/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Victory V Lager is a cloudy, pale yellow beer with a small white head that quickly dissipates. It has a soft herbal aroma. It smells a little sweet and corny and very faint. It's light bodied and foamy with a dry finish that's kind of chalky. It has hardly any flavor. There may be a touch of lemon and mint or catnip. There is no bitterness. Sorry, Victory, I've peed better beer. This is an obvious attempt to make a Superbowl beer and they nailed it.

03-02-2011 15:44:58 | More by yesyouam
appenzeller

Washington

1.88/5  rDev -47.3%

Me: pilsner nut. I love and treasure pilsners in the old Czech and Bavarian styles.

I tried Prima Pils given all its good reviews (see my earlier review), found it to be mighty tasty but definitely way off for the true style. In particular, it lacked the smoothness and technical quality of a true pilsner. So, I thought I'd see if Victory found it in their lager.

Nope. This is a skunky, overpale lager. No subtle hops profile, just skank. Malts are nonexistent but what there is . . . skank. I'm willing to write off this review as an old beer, but then . . . why is it that I can still get a really nice Spaten, Urquell, or Czechvar here in the states--granted not totally fresh but not this skank?

I think if we're going to tank imports for lack of freshness (as reviewers here do), then surely we need to do that with the domestics--which have less of an excuse.

06-05-2010 07:50:05 | More by appenzeller
BeerThursdays

Delaware

11-17-2011 14:26:44 | More by BeerThursdays
ViveLaChouffe

2.05/5  rDev -42.6%

Pours a pale gold with a snow-white and frothy head. some fine lacing. Smells sweet, alot like honey.

Taste is very sweet, hardly any hop flavor at all. Lots of honey flavor in this. Pale sweet malt, hnts of caramel. Mouth is a bit cloying quite frankly. Sticky mouth and finish. The honey-like flavors are just too much. Not a good Helles IMO.

12-15-2006 18:20:35 | More by ViveLaChouffe
ngandhi

2.13/5  rDev -40.3%

This is swill in every way. It's a richer PBR, but not as refined or attractive as most macro lagers. The nose is a loud Budweiser, the taste much of the same with a firmer graininess and a sweet, lemony hop character -- a touch of honey and garbage water on the finish. The yeast is as clean as can be and leaves nothing in this brew to be desired. This is a pseudo-German pilsner/helles that falls flat on its ass. Lawnmower beer at its finest.

Relax, relax.

2.25/5  rDev -37%

07-20-2014 21:53:54 | More by Howlader
StarSAELS

2.25/5  rDev -37%

My opinion: this is the let-down in the Victory sample pack. Granted, I'm not a fan of lagers, but I've had a few that made me lick my lips and ask for another. This one... no. Run-of-the-mill.

Pours, looks, smells, tastes and feels like a standard lager. Nothing really jumps out at me. Looks like... a beer. Smells like... a beer. Tastes like... a beer. You know, that nondescript beer. Reminds me of the boring stuff grampa and my uncles drank.

I guess not everybody in the dugout can be the star of the game!

11-18-2007 03:45:06 | More by StarSAELS
Jacobob10

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

This beer was completely not what I expected. I had been hoping for a nice malty lager with some serious flavor. What I got was a macro lager on steroids.

Pours a straw yellow color with a very small head and not much retention at all. I would have had a hard time distinguishing it side-by-side from a Bud. The aroma was not very pleasing at all. It didn't make me shy away from the beer, there just wasn't anything to talk about.

Very bland taste. Where are the malts? Where are the hops? Something is missing here for sure.

As critical as I'm being about this beer, it wasn't undrinkable. There just wasn't anything unique or exciting about it. You could have put it side by side with any other macro lager and I would have been hard pressed to tell the two apart. I actually put down a sixer of HopDevil and bought this instead. I won't be making that mistake again.

08-30-2006 00:41:48 | More by Jacobob10
sturner26

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into normal pint glass.

A: Clear pale yellow, bordering on golden. Tiny bubbles and a 2-3 inch white head that fades quickly.

S: Smells like an adjunct to be honest. Some lemon and grass but the smell makes me think I'm drinking an BMC.

T: With the smell of adjunct in my nose, I couldn't help but find the taste to be slightly above BMC. Lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat but it had a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur and was not great.

M: Good (compared to an BMC, which has become my standard for this beer unfortunatly). Good zest and active carbonation similar to a pils.

D: Not great. Packaged in a mized case with Hopdevil, Prima Pils, and Golden Monkey, I know which beer will be my last resort every time I visit the fridge.

03-24-2011 15:41:50 | More by sturner26
Soonami

2.42/5  rDev -32.2%

Had on-tap in a pint class at Standard Tap, Phila, last night.

I wanted a lighter beer to quench my thirst last night after a long day of traveling and this beer disappointed. I expected a beer similar to Prima Pils with less herby hoppiness and more body and malt. Instead, I got a piss-yellow, lager with little hop flavor, not much malt or body, and no head. The beer with thin and tasted like nothing I was expecting. Granted this is a step up from Yuengling Lager and the like, but it's not what I would expect from a Victory lager. Maybe this is what the style is supposed to be like, but I did not like it one bit. I was very disappointed and left wishing I had ordered the Stoudt's APA that my dinner companion had, in place of what I had gotten.

06-28-2009 22:07:49 | More by Soonami
AltBock

2.42/5  rDev -32.2%

12 oz. bottle with a label that has a big red "V" smack dab in the middle of it. To the right of the "V" is the barcode and US Government warning. To the left of the "V" is address of the brewery and a heafty paragraph describing the beer. A clearly stamped "Enjoy by" date is in between the paragraph and the big red "V." The refund values can be found on the small neck label.

Appearance: I decided to pour this Lager into my Bell's Brewery standard American pint glass. This Victory beer poured a disappointing extrememly clear and light straw yellow. The head of foam started off with a 1/2 inch head of white fizzy foam that just fizzled away completely in only 2 seconds. It did manage to leave behind a handful of small white rings and a spot of white bubbly lace.

Smell: The only thing I got in the beginning was the faintest aroma of malted grains and a small dab of floral hops. I thought that was it until I swirled it around and received a slightly fruity aroma. At least there wasn't corn or rice in there.

Taste: According to the paragraph, I'm guessing this is suppose to be a take on a throw back lager from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I believe they got what they wanted. The taste started off with malted grains and then ended with crispy German hops. That's all folks! No hidden taste or anything along those lines. It was just a taste of malted grains and hops.

Mouthfeel: It was clearly a light beer with a weak aftertaste of crispy German hops. After the light taste, I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got.

Drinkability: It's clearly not my favorite Victory beer, but it would however make a great substitute for any of your run of the mill macros out there. Not a victory for Victory with this one.

12-31-2007 19:18:24 | More by AltBock

TheBigBoy

05-05-2013 04:00:50 | More by TheBigBoy
roguetester

2.5/5  rDev -30%

This is a review of the reformulated All Malt Lager. It is now "Helles Style". I picked up a growle of the beer while in the area and took it home to sample...

The beer poured with a large white head that dissapated quickly. Beer is extremely clear, light yellow in color.

I'm not sure what Hops variety added to the aroma, but I did not like it. It may be the style, but I was not a fan. It seemed rather pungent.

The taste was clean as was the aftertaste. Very little in the way of malt or hops flavoring. This beer is about as easy drinking as they make them.

I'm having a hard time trying to describe this beer without using phrases like Bud or Miller. Helles is Germany for light and this tasted like a light beer. There was an article in the forum about if breweries should have guest light beers on tap. I think Victory has answered by creating this lowest common denominator brew.

Having gone to High School I consider Victory my home town brewery and support them when I can. I, however, do not have much good to say about the new All Malt Lager.

08-03-2003 11:21:16 | More by roguetester

Jason1337

04-17-2013 18:07:37 | More by Jason1337
maddogruss

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a straw, yellow body with a small, carbonated white head. Head fizzled away immediately like a glass of Sprite. No lacing was evident from start to finish.

S: Hints of sweet malts and slightly bready.

T: Tasted like a watery beer. Hints of sweet, honey malts. Corn was evident in the aftertaste.

M: Over carbonated beer. This beer was brewed and then infused with carbon dioxide. The body itself felt like it was watered down a little bit before it was bottled.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer, but not for the taste. The light and almost tasteless nature of this beer makes it not just drinkable but poundable. I can slam these back all night long without missing a beat or feeling bloated at all.

01-02-2008 20:35:08 | More by maddogruss
hardy008

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow color with a white head which has average retention and some lacing. The smell has grain, grassy hops, yeast, and a bit of sulfur? Not entirely pleasant.

The sulfur shows up in the taste too, as does grain, yeast, and grassy hops. There is a little bit of sweetness, which is mostly overpowered by the sulfur.

Light bodied, dry, plenty of carbonation. Not my favorite lager by any means. Not the worst either, but plenty of room for improvement.

11-18-2011 04:07:36 | More by hardy008
jakester

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is from a sampler case I got at Shelbourne Beer Distributor. The date (Nov 13 '05) is clearly marked on the case. On the label is marked "Enjoy by Nov 14 05". However, there is something clearly wrong with this beer.

Pours a medium yellow with millions of tiny floaters in there. The white head seems bubbly and lasts about one minute, then drops to nothing. Uh-oh.

Aroma is pilsner malt, with some spicy hops in the back. There is some kind of off smell in there, like it's old. Kind of cardboardy, and not pleasant. It's in date, so something is awry.

Flavor is like the smell. Tastes ok at first, nice pilsner malts and spicy hops, but there is a definite wet cardboard taste. As I drink this, the off flavors get worse. Very disappointing beer from Victory.

Mouthfeel is ok, sort of medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. The finish is on the dry side.

I know Victory laughs at the idea that their beers are not as good since they installed their new brewery, but in my opinion, they are not. I've never had so many bad beers from Victory as I'm getting now. This beer is in date, and it's shot. A damn shame.

10-05-2005 17:00:40 | More by jakester