Victory Helles Lager - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Formerly Victory Lager
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Helles Lager Alström Bros
1.38/5  rDev -61.7%

I was given a few of these at a family dinner over the holidays. This brewery is local, but I've never had this before and was looking forward to it. I popped the cap and poured, and was instantly disappointed. Very little head, and a cheap beer color. The smell wasn't all that pleasing, and the taste was worse. easily the worst microbrew lager I've had. Thank God I didn't have to pay for it. I never will, not when I can buy Yuengling for less and not ever be wishing I didn't.

1.74/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Victory V Lager is a cloudy, pale yellow beer with a small white head that quickly dissipates. It has a soft herbal aroma. It smells a little sweet and corny and very faint. It's light bodied and foamy with a dry finish that's kind of chalky. It has hardly any flavor. There may be a touch of lemon and mint or catnip. There is no bitterness. Sorry, Victory, I've peed better beer. This is an obvious attempt to make a Superbowl beer and they nailed it.

1.85/5  rDev -48.6%

Me: pilsner nut. I love and treasure pilsners in the old Czech and Bavarian styles.

I tried Prima Pils given all its good reviews (see my earlier review), found it to be mighty tasty but definitely way off for the true style. In particular, it lacked the smoothness and technical quality of a true pilsner. So, I thought I'd see if Victory found it in their lager.

Nope. This is a skunky, overpale lager. No subtle hops profile, just skank. Malts are nonexistent but what there is . . . skank. I'm willing to write off this review as an old beer, but then . . . why is it that I can still get a really nice Spaten, Urquell, or Czechvar here in the states--granted not totally fresh but not this skank?

I think if we're going to tank imports for lack of freshness (as reviewers here do), then surely we need to do that with the domestics--which have less of an excuse.

2.06/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a pale gold with a snow-white and frothy head. some fine lacing. Smells sweet, alot like honey.

Taste is very sweet, hardly any hop flavor at all. Lots of honey flavor in this. Pale sweet malt, hnts of caramel. Mouth is a bit cloying quite frankly. Sticky mouth and finish. The honey-like flavors are just too much. Not a good Helles IMO.

2.14/5  rDev -40.6%

This is swill in every way. It's a richer PBR, but not as refined or attractive as most macro lagers. The nose is a loud Budweiser, the taste much of the same with a firmer graininess and a sweet, lemony hop character -- a touch of honey and garbage water on the finish. The yeast is as clean as can be and leaves nothing in this brew to be desired. This is a pseudo-German pilsner/helles that falls flat on its ass. Lawnmower beer at its finest.

Relax, relax.

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%

My opinion: this is the let-down in the Victory sample pack. Granted, I'm not a fan of lagers, but I've had a few that made me lick my lips and ask for another. This one... no. Run-of-the-mill.

Pours, looks, smells, tastes and feels like a standard lager. Nothing really jumps out at me. Looks like... a beer. Smells like... a beer. Tastes like... a beer. You know, that nondescript beer. Reminds me of the boring stuff grampa and my uncles drank.

I guess not everybody in the dugout can be the star of the game!

2.37/5  rDev -34.2%

This beer was completely not what I expected. I had been hoping for a nice malty lager with some serious flavor. What I got was a macro lager on steroids.

Pours a straw yellow color with a very small head and not much retention at all. I would have had a hard time distinguishing it side-by-side from a Bud. The aroma was not very pleasing at all. It didn't make me shy away from the beer, there just wasn't anything to talk about.

Very bland taste. Where are the malts? Where are the hops? Something is missing here for sure.

As critical as I'm being about this beer, it wasn't undrinkable. There just wasn't anything unique or exciting about it. You could have put it side by side with any other macro lager and I would have been hard pressed to tell the two apart. I actually put down a sixer of HopDevil and bought this instead. I won't be making that mistake again.

2.39/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into normal pint glass.

A: Clear pale yellow, bordering on golden. Tiny bubbles and a 2-3 inch white head that fades quickly.

S: Smells like an adjunct to be honest. Some lemon and grass but the smell makes me think I'm drinking an BMC.

T: With the smell of adjunct in my nose, I couldn't help but find the taste to be slightly above BMC. Lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat but it had a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur and was not great.

M: Good (compared to an BMC, which has become my standard for this beer unfortunatly). Good zest and active carbonation similar to a pils.

D: Not great. Packaged in a mized case with Hopdevil, Prima Pils, and Golden Monkey, I know which beer will be my last resort every time I visit the fridge.

2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

Had on-tap in a pint class at Standard Tap, Phila, last night.

I wanted a lighter beer to quench my thirst last night after a long day of traveling and this beer disappointed. I expected a beer similar to Prima Pils with less herby hoppiness and more body and malt. Instead, I got a piss-yellow, lager with little hop flavor, not much malt or body, and no head. The beer with thin and tasted like nothing I was expecting. Granted this is a step up from Yuengling Lager and the like, but it's not what I would expect from a Victory lager. Maybe this is what the style is supposed to be like, but I did not like it one bit. I was very disappointed and left wishing I had ordered the Stoudt's APA that my dinner companion had, in place of what I had gotten.

2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

12 oz. bottle with a label that has a big red "V" smack dab in the middle of it. To the right of the "V" is the barcode and US Government warning. To the left of the "V" is address of the brewery and a heafty paragraph describing the beer. A clearly stamped "Enjoy by" date is in between the paragraph and the big red "V." The refund values can be found on the small neck label.

Appearance: I decided to pour this Lager into my Bell's Brewery standard American pint glass. This Victory beer poured a disappointing extrememly clear and light straw yellow. The head of foam started off with a 1/2 inch head of white fizzy foam that just fizzled away completely in only 2 seconds. It did manage to leave behind a handful of small white rings and a spot of white bubbly lace.

Smell: The only thing I got in the beginning was the faintest aroma of malted grains and a small dab of floral hops. I thought that was it until I swirled it around and received a slightly fruity aroma. At least there wasn't corn or rice in there.

Taste: According to the paragraph, I'm guessing this is suppose to be a take on a throw back lager from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I believe they got what they wanted. The taste started off with malted grains and then ended with crispy German hops. That's all folks! No hidden taste or anything along those lines. It was just a taste of malted grains and hops.

Mouthfeel: It was clearly a light beer with a weak aftertaste of crispy German hops. After the light taste, I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got.

Drinkability: It's clearly not my favorite Victory beer, but it would however make a great substitute for any of your run of the mill macros out there. Not a victory for Victory with this one.

2.45/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Pours clear yellow-gold with no head. Aroma is dominated by the lager yeast giving off tons of hay, with a touch of bread an lots of water. Flavor is much the same. Thin mouthfeel. Overall, this one was done in by the low abv. Watered down and lacking in all departments.

2.52/5  rDev -30%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a straw, yellow body with a small, carbonated white head. Head fizzled away immediately like a glass of Sprite. No lacing was evident from start to finish.

S: Hints of sweet malts and slightly bready.

T: Tasted like a watery beer. Hints of sweet, honey malts. Corn was evident in the aftertaste.

M: Over carbonated beer. This beer was brewed and then infused with carbon dioxide. The body itself felt like it was watered down a little bit before it was bottled.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer, but not for the taste. The light and almost tasteless nature of this beer makes it not just drinkable but poundable. I can slam these back all night long without missing a beat or feeling bloated at all.

2.53/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow color with a white head which has average retention and some lacing. The smell has grain, grassy hops, yeast, and a bit of sulfur? Not entirely pleasant.

The sulfur shows up in the taste too, as does grain, yeast, and grassy hops. There is a little bit of sweetness, which is mostly overpowered by the sulfur.

Light bodied, dry, plenty of carbonation. Not my favorite lager by any means. Not the worst either, but plenty of room for improvement.

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

This is a review of the reformulated All Malt Lager. It is now "Helles Style". I picked up a growle of the beer while in the area and took it home to sample...

The beer poured with a large white head that dissapated quickly. Beer is extremely clear, light yellow in color.

I'm not sure what Hops variety added to the aroma, but I did not like it. It may be the style, but I was not a fan. It seemed rather pungent.

The taste was clean as was the aftertaste. Very little in the way of malt or hops flavoring. This beer is about as easy drinking as they make them.

I'm having a hard time trying to describe this beer without using phrases like Bud or Miller. Helles is Germany for light and this tasted like a light beer. There was an article in the forum about if breweries should have guest light beers on tap. I think Victory has answered by creating this lowest common denominator brew.

Having gone to High School I consider Victory my home town brewery and support them when I can. I, however, do not have much good to say about the new All Malt Lager.

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is from a sampler case I got at Shelbourne Beer Distributor. The date (Nov 13 '05) is clearly marked on the case. On the label is marked "Enjoy by Nov 14 05". However, there is something clearly wrong with this beer.

Pours a medium yellow with millions of tiny floaters in there. The white head seems bubbly and lasts about one minute, then drops to nothing. Uh-oh.

Aroma is pilsner malt, with some spicy hops in the back. There is some kind of off smell in there, like it's old. Kind of cardboardy, and not pleasant. It's in date, so something is awry.

Flavor is like the smell. Tastes ok at first, nice pilsner malts and spicy hops, but there is a definite wet cardboard taste. As I drink this, the off flavors get worse. Very disappointing beer from Victory.

Mouthfeel is ok, sort of medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. The finish is on the dry side.

I know Victory laughs at the idea that their beers are not as good since they installed their new brewery, but in my opinion, they are not. I've never had so many bad beers from Victory as I'm getting now. This beer is in date, and it's shot. A damn shame.

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

Nothing special, at Mondial 2005. Another mediocre malty lager. But of head, something people watching a hockey game would down without thinking, or tasting. Malty, significant carbonation. Light golden. I had this before the bolder beers, didn't help.

2.72/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: Appears a pale straw color gold with a nice sized white foaming head leaving speckled lacing without much consistency to the pattern. Aroma: Grainy and light in malt sweetness, there is just a touch of hop presence in the air, I mean I know the helles style lager is delicate but this is a beer marketed toward the masses not one I m proud to hoist from Victory at this point. Taste: Crisp refreshing grassy sweet texture from the imported malts and a good amount of bitterness here to obtain balance, overall disappointing in the flavor department whatever happened to my beloved export style lager, shame on you Bill and Ron your targeting a "Bud/Miller/Coors" crowd with this one what happened to "we brew the type of beers that we like to drink"? Okay that was harsh considering this is a difficult style to make clean tasting balanced brew, I can also fathom how Victory needs a beer on the light side, but this one borders watery for me. Mouthfeel: Is thin carbonated water like texture, just no character. Drinkability: It's alright even good and refreshing but lacking the awesome flavor profile of the export style lager that anyone who purchased the Victory sampler found as a true jewel, in one word disappointing I was at least expecting a very flavorful Helles, oh well yeah I think I could drink a six pack of this without feeling anything. Light, crisp, refreshing lawnmower beer with no off tones, well constructed but lacking flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into pint glass,beer was light golden,straw color.Lots of carbination,white creamy head dissapated quickly. Has a bread-like aroma. no real hop presense.Grainey,bread taste,not much of a hop bitterness.It tasted thin, not much body.Would be a good beer served cold on a hot day,not a filling beer at all.Not what I'm used to from Victory.

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

It pours a light strwa color. It also has a light, sweet note to it, and bery hop resonance. not so much a presence, but it is there, and it is a resonance. Pours a light straw color, but not muh to it. It is very fizzy, but that is it. Over-all, I feel it has a light, sweet, malty flavor to it. The hops are there, but it is an after thoguht. Over all it has a nice, light mouth-fell, and, IMOO, it could be a good conversion beer.

Ba Review #112
Served On: 01/20/2012
Glassware: Duvel Glass
Labeled ABV:
Date/ Code: 02/13/2012

This bottle was mixed in with a sixer of home brews I got from a buddy of mine.

Look: Lemony yellow color with possibly some chill-haze going on. The head was nothing more than a white coating of film. Carbonation was ok. Nothing too crazy.

Smell: I got sort of a pancake batter with some citrus hop notes. Definitely not a bad aroma for your typical lager.

Taste: The taste was very light and crisp. Some faint citrus was up front with a very watery middle. The bready notes from the aroma were definitely not in the taste. This beer is more reminiscent of a summer ale or wheat beer.

This beer was ok. It would basically put this beer into the 'lawn mower' category.

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This was a disappointment for me. I guess I was expecting much more from this brewery. I was really excited to try it, but it did let me down. The main reason was the smell and taste. They were way too much like a lot of the Euro Lagers out there. The only thing, was that it had an ok look to it. Skunk abounded in this bottle for me. Not something I would offer to anyone I liked.

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

Review is for the export style.
The beer pours a clear straw gold, topped with a huge, craggy white head. The head foamed up like crazy, filling half the glass with head. Very sticky lacing, forming large clumps of broken head on the glass.
Aroma is slightly sour and oxodized, with a winey white grape quality. Crisp pale malts and some mellow herbal hopping beneath. Mostly an oxodized aroma, which is a shame. I was assured this was fresh.
Clean pilsner malts dominate the flavor, with a light, crisp hoppiness following, finishing slightly dry and grainy, with a hint of unripened peach sourness. Moderate oxodization, with a bit of a papery flavor in the aftertaste, and some wine-like grape notes. Huge, mouthfilling carbonation, most likely because of the age, with a medium body.
It's a shame this is old, because I expect the hops are wonderful. Unfortunately, they've all but disappeared. I'll have to try this again.

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

Ap. Victory Lager ia a very pale, pale yellow with a nice white frothy head. Not much lacing.
Sm/Ta. Can a beer smell and taste pale? This is a very mild beer. There is little smell or taste. It reminds me of less expensive, lessor quality beers. There is some perhaps grain/corn smell and taste.
Mf. Pale and thin?
Dr. Yes, but I'm not sure why.

2.89/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into my La Moneuse tulip, which is of course the ideal lager glass...

The head is fizzy and soda like, quickly falling to a glass ring and surface lacing over a very light gold, bubbly body. The nose is of somewhat off-putting grain. Taste is very nice though, a clean, balanced grain/hop combination, very simple. Mouthfeel is spot on, with a thin body and high carbonation. A very easy drinker, but with some significant negatives and no complexity whatsoever.

2.89/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a bright, clear yellow/light gold, with moderate white head about an inch thick. Retains for a few minutes, then quickly vanishes, leaving no lacing. Typical weak lager appearance.

My nose detects scents of lemon,citrus, grains and light malt. A little weird, but has character.

Mouth absorbs faint traces of malt and graininess. A slight acidic and bitter citrus-like edge near the end of tasting. probably from hops. Fairly light-bodied, with your typical lager high carbonation.

As you may know I am generally not a fan of plain ol' lagers(the non-pilsener and non-Oktoberfest kind), so I did not expect much from this. That said, it is what it is. Not supposed to be extraordinary, just an everyday-type session brew. It's rather average at that, because I know there's better offerings in this style out there.

Victory Helles Lager from Victory Brewing Company