Victory Helles Lager - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Formerly Victory Lager
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Helles Lager Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -30%

Tolerable but uninspired, it's like they weren't trying. I sense there's a reason this was removed from the variety pack.

2.52/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a straw, yellow body with a small, carbonated white head. Head fizzled away immediately like a glass of Sprite. No lacing was evident from start to finish.

S: Hints of sweet malts and slightly bready.

T: Tasted like a watery beer. Hints of sweet, honey malts. Corn was evident in the aftertaste.

M: Over carbonated beer. This beer was brewed and then infused with carbon dioxide. The body itself felt like it was watered down a little bit before it was bottled.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer, but not for the taste. The light and almost tasteless nature of this beer makes it not just drinkable but poundable. I can slam these back all night long without missing a beat or feeling bloated at all.

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow color with a white head which has average retention and some lacing. The smell has grain, grassy hops, yeast, and a bit of sulfur? Not entirely pleasant.

The sulfur shows up in the taste too, as does grain, yeast, and grassy hops. There is a little bit of sweetness, which is mostly overpowered by the sulfur.

Light bodied, dry, plenty of carbonation. Not my favorite lager by any means. Not the worst either, but plenty of room for improvement.

2.55/5  rDev -28.6%

This is a review of the reformulated All Malt Lager. It is now "Helles Style". I picked up a growle of the beer while in the area and took it home to sample...

The beer poured with a large white head that dissapated quickly. Beer is extremely clear, light yellow in color.

I'm not sure what Hops variety added to the aroma, but I did not like it. It may be the style, but I was not a fan. It seemed rather pungent.

The taste was clean as was the aftertaste. Very little in the way of malt or hops flavoring. This beer is about as easy drinking as they make them.

I'm having a hard time trying to describe this beer without using phrases like Bud or Miller. Helles is Germany for light and this tasted like a light beer. There was an article in the forum about if breweries should have guest light beers on tap. I think Victory has answered by creating this lowest common denominator brew.

Having gone to High School I consider Victory my home town brewery and support them when I can. I, however, do not have much good to say about the new All Malt Lager.

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is from a sampler case I got at Shelbourne Beer Distributor. The date (Nov 13 '05) is clearly marked on the case. On the label is marked "Enjoy by Nov 14 05". However, there is something clearly wrong with this beer.

Pours a medium yellow with millions of tiny floaters in there. The white head seems bubbly and lasts about one minute, then drops to nothing. Uh-oh.

Aroma is pilsner malt, with some spicy hops in the back. There is some kind of off smell in there, like it's old. Kind of cardboardy, and not pleasant. It's in date, so something is awry.

Flavor is like the smell. Tastes ok at first, nice pilsner malts and spicy hops, but there is a definite wet cardboard taste. As I drink this, the off flavors get worse. Very disappointing beer from Victory.

Mouthfeel is ok, sort of medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. The finish is on the dry side.

I know Victory laughs at the idea that their beers are not as good since they installed their new brewery, but in my opinion, they are not. I've never had so many bad beers from Victory as I'm getting now. This beer is in date, and it's shot. A damn shame.

2.65/5  rDev -25.8%

Nothing special, at Mondial 2005. Another mediocre malty lager. But of head, something people watching a hockey game would down without thinking, or tasting. Malty, significant carbonation. Light golden. I had this before the bolder beers, didn't help.

2.72/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Appears a pale straw color gold with a nice sized white foaming head leaving speckled lacing without much consistency to the pattern. Aroma: Grainy and light in malt sweetness, there is just a touch of hop presence in the air, I mean I know the helles style lager is delicate but this is a beer marketed toward the masses not one I m proud to hoist from Victory at this point. Taste: Crisp refreshing grassy sweet texture from the imported malts and a good amount of bitterness here to obtain balance, overall disappointing in the flavor department whatever happened to my beloved export style lager, shame on you Bill and Ron your targeting a "Bud/Miller/Coors" crowd with this one what happened to "we brew the type of beers that we like to drink"? Okay that was harsh considering this is a difficult style to make clean tasting balanced brew, I can also fathom how Victory needs a beer on the light side, but this one borders watery for me. Mouthfeel: Is thin carbonated water like texture, just no character. Drinkability: It's alright even good and refreshing but lacking the awesome flavor profile of the export style lager that anyone who purchased the Victory sampler found as a true jewel, in one word disappointing I was at least expecting a very flavorful Helles, oh well yeah I think I could drink a six pack of this without feeling anything. Light, crisp, refreshing lawnmower beer with no off tones, well constructed but lacking flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -23%

Poured into pint glass,beer was light golden,straw color.Lots of carbination,white creamy head dissapated quickly. Has a bread-like aroma. no real hop presense.Grainey,bread taste,not much of a hop bitterness.It tasted thin, not much body.Would be a good beer served cold on a hot day,not a filling beer at all.Not what I'm used to from Victory.

2.76/5  rDev -22.7%

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

It pours a light strwa color. It also has a light, sweet note to it, and bery hop resonance. not so much a presence, but it is there, and it is a resonance. Pours a light straw color, but not muh to it. It is very fizzy, but that is it. Over-all, I feel it has a light, sweet, malty flavor to it. The hops are there, but it is an after thoguht. Over all it has a nice, light mouth-fell, and, IMOO, it could be a good conversion beer.

Ba Review #112
Served On: 01/20/2012
Glassware: Duvel Glass
Labeled ABV:
Date/ Code: 02/13/2012

This bottle was mixed in with a sixer of home brews I got from a buddy of mine.

Look: Lemony yellow color with possibly some chill-haze going on. The head was nothing more than a white coating of film. Carbonation was ok. Nothing too crazy.

Smell: I got sort of a pancake batter with some citrus hop notes. Definitely not a bad aroma for your typical lager.

Taste: The taste was very light and crisp. Some faint citrus was up front with a very watery middle. The bready notes from the aroma were definitely not in the taste. This beer is more reminiscent of a summer ale or wheat beer.

This beer was ok. It would basically put this beer into the 'lawn mower' category.

2.81/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This was a disappointment for me. I guess I was expecting much more from this brewery. I was really excited to try it, but it did let me down. The main reason was the smell and taste. They were way too much like a lot of the Euro Lagers out there. The only thing, was that it had an ok look to it. Skunk abounded in this bottle for me. Not something I would offer to anyone I liked.

2.81/5  rDev -21.3%

Review is for the export style.
The beer pours a clear straw gold, topped with a huge, craggy white head. The head foamed up like crazy, filling half the glass with head. Very sticky lacing, forming large clumps of broken head on the glass.
Aroma is slightly sour and oxodized, with a winey white grape quality. Crisp pale malts and some mellow herbal hopping beneath. Mostly an oxodized aroma, which is a shame. I was assured this was fresh.
Clean pilsner malts dominate the flavor, with a light, crisp hoppiness following, finishing slightly dry and grainy, with a hint of unripened peach sourness. Moderate oxodization, with a bit of a papery flavor in the aftertaste, and some wine-like grape notes. Huge, mouthfilling carbonation, most likely because of the age, with a medium body.
It's a shame this is old, because I expect the hops are wonderful. Unfortunately, they've all but disappeared. I'll have to try this again.

2.81/5  rDev -21.3%

Ap. Victory Lager ia a very pale, pale yellow with a nice white frothy head. Not much lacing.
Sm/Ta. Can a beer smell and taste pale? This is a very mild beer. There is little smell or taste. It reminds me of less expensive, lessor quality beers. There is some perhaps grain/corn smell and taste.
Mf. Pale and thin?
Dr. Yes, but I'm not sure why.

Victory Helles Lager from Victory Brewing Company