Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Victory Helles Lager - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Helles LagerVictory Helles Lager

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Formerly Victory Lager
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Helles Lager Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

First review, first Helles tasted as far as I can remember. My comments will by no means compare to that of a beer judge, but here goes:
--bottle to pint glass; light urine / apple cider color (label notes golden which is appropriate)
--nominal head with aroma lightly sweet, but 1st thought is Foster's
--taste: like that of a standard DOMESTIC lager (which says alot pro and con, since not an American beer fan), albeit a bit smoother and definitely not as bad hoppy
--aftertaste: hangs there on the tongue / lingers in your mouth; dry, palpable cottony mouth feel requiring you to take another hit to quench it
--buzz meter: drank pre lunch@ 1130 so mild to mod on empty stomach
--burpage: slightly acidic / hoppy (this would be standard)

Drinkability: ala comic book grading scale = FINE.

Big Fan of Victory, since lived in Philly for some time, but with so many beers to try / re-try, not one I'd be HANKERING (my new category) for / no love lost; but would probably reconsider, as we all would and all know, if we had one on tap in Downingtown.
Ch33rs factor = indifferent.

3.13/5  rDev -13.3%

The beer poured crystal clear pale golden then the yeast came and the beer was turbid. The head was white and tall, but fell quickly to lace the glass.

The aroma is very little. Some slight malt aroma. No hop aroma. Slight fruit aroma, oddly enough, grape.

The flavor is fruity. The beer is slightly sour and has a grape taste as well. Some bitterness in the flavor, but only slight.

The finish is dry. The body is medium-light.

12 ounce bottle.

3.12/5  rDev -13.6%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent with a citrus hop aroma. The taste is average. It has a light, pale malt flavor with a bit of citrus hops in the aftertaste. It has little flavor or complexity; boring. The mouthfeel sucks. It is a low bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is an average lager at best. It has little flavor and terrible mouthfeel. This is by far the worst offering from Victory, although I like the "all malt" concept.

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Pours a pale yellow with little to no head or lacing.

S: Not a lot going on, but there is a hint of bread/grain.

T: Pretty simple bready/grainy taste to hit. Very little bit of hops comes through.

D: Certainly drinkable on summer day or possibly as a session if you were into it.

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

Well this is a perfectly average beer. A beer to recommend to the Bud drinker in your circle of friends as an entre' to better things. Pours a transparent pale gold with a sparse short-lived head that left no lace whatsoever....sigh. Persisitent light carbonation insufficient to form the sparsest of rings of foam on a beer clean glass. The aroma was light and bready, some sweetness hints of corn and faint floral hops. Taste was balanced and refreshing. Short lived sweetness fading to a hoppy finish that is persistent but faint. Mouthfeel is light. This is an easy drinking beer though a tad too "euro lager-ish" for my tastes. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. A refreshing and drinkable brew, perhaps a good brew to have around for the dog days of August when you are having many more than one.

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

This is a very light yellow beer. The head is about a half a finger but falls very very quickly. The aroma is mostly like corn, and I'm sorry to say that the flavor is mostly the same. It is light and fresh and except for a touch of diacetyl, it's kinda refreshing. A bit thinnish on the mouthfeel but appropriate enough for the style.
There is an easiness to drinking this that I cannot quite put my finger on, just wish something stood out a little more.

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

A: thin head on a hazy pale golden body.

S: musty light pale malts and grains.

T: overall bland with little standing out. Mostly malts and grains.

M: moist finish. medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: this one is very bland. I guess drinkable but not for the flavor.

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Rocktoberfest pint glass.

A - pours straw yellow with one finger of white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S - smells faintly of hops, but I'm not picking up much of anything

T - light and "beery" in the BMC sense of the word. There is a little bit of a crisp bite at the end from the hops. No off flavors detected, just no real on flavors detected either.

M - effervescent fizziness, refreshing coolness

D - The upside of the light body and low flavor profile is that I could drink these forever on a hot day if they were ice cold. Would be a good tailgating beer.

This came as part of a mix case, I would not get it on its own. It is what it is, a fuller bodied BMC clone. Not bad by any means, but I just prefer beer that have more going on with them.

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH, on my trip back to SE Ohio for Memorial Day Weekend. Anyhow....

Appearance: yellow, transparent, 1/2" white head on the pour

Smell: mild hops and some of that macrolager smell

Taste: some hops with a tinge of citrus, and some cereal malts (it seems anyways)

Mouthfeel: light body

Drinkability: could do two in a night

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

I bought a case of this at the Victory Brewpub in Downingtown, PA and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear golden color with a big white head that has ok retention and little to no lacing.
Smell: The aroma is a mild non-offensive malt.
Taste: The is a nice hop bit up front, follow by milt pale malt.
Mouthfeel: THe mouthfeel is both crisp and dry.
Drinkability: This is a great lawnmower beer. It is an excellently done approachable beer.
Don't drink and review.

3.04/5  rDev -15.8%

The beer pours a pale yellow with not a whole lot of head or anything remotely interesting. The smell at first was grassy, or hay like, with some citrus aromas, a maybe a bit of veggie in there too. As the beer settles, the sweeter malts emerge and some of the less pleasing macro like aromas disappear. The taste improves as the beer settle too. It began with too much the lemony, vegetable, sweetish macro flavors and segued into a slightly better flavor with more complex malts emerging. The beer is moderately carbonated, very light bodied, a bit on the watery side, and not all that interesting. It gets a bit more husky as my palate gets used to it. This is certainly better than most macro lagers you'll find, but if has pretentions to be more, there just isn't that much here that would keep me coming back. It's quite drinkable if you are after a thirst quencher.

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Apperance proposes a dark golden yellow hue with sunset red hints, kind of hazy. Aroma contains nice cookie maltiness, a bit toasty as well, light noble hops and mostly bready. I must say I’m not getting that much though. In mouth, its presence is very mild without too much going on and even a feeling approaching metal in the finish. Body is rather creamy and could use a bit more carbonation I believe. This is miles away from prima pils unfortunately and I really wanted to enjoy it as I felt it was a great day for an helles. Thanks Francis

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Tasted on-tap 6/15/05 and 6/22/05 at Mighty Mike's in Sterling, VA.

Had to try twice (a week apart) and verify a few times that this was really a Victory product that I was poured.

Straw colored with a very low white head. Not much of an aroma or flavor ... what is there is very light in the malt dept but not very grainy like I find with most Helles beers. No hops to speak of. Fairly light bodied and weak. I'd almost swear this was a macro.

Not a very good Helles -- a decent All Malt American Lager I guess but not one I'd go back to.

Per Victory website: 4.8% ABV

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Very, very light yellow with NO head or lacing...bubbles rising quickly to the top looking for an escape. Clean nose with hints of hops and german malts.
Taste is an onlought of carbonation. Hints of sweet gum, fruit mainly banannas and a bitter edge. Light on the feel

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Eh. Nothing special here. Very middle of the road for a lager. I guess you could say this is what a lager should taste like, but there's nothing distinguishable about it. Pours a light golden with good foam. It's very drinkable, yes, but because there's not too much to it. If I'm looking for a quick drink, I'd choose this over a Sprite, but that's about it.

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

To be honest, I am not entirely sure what to expect from a Munich Helles Lager, should it be super light colore with little head and a grainy nose? Hopefully, cuz thats what is going on here.

Pours a very pale golden, very very clean and clear. Head is less than a quarter inch and goes away quickly.

Smell is very grainy, corny, wheaty and slightly sour/sweet. Nothing too amazing.

Taste is honestly a bit like Welch's grapefruit juice watered down with some corn juice. That is exactly what this tastes like to me. If you gave a VERY, VERY cold bottle of this to me on a HOT, HOT day I think it would be close to perfect but not right now, it lacks a lot of character IMO.

Taste macro-ey and doesn't do much for me...

(Served in an American pint glass) best before Mar 19 2010
A- This beer has a crystal clear golden yellow body with a thin white head soon to disappears with tiny bubbles in slow motion. S- This beer has a soft sighty sweet malt with a Munich malt hint and pale malt with some field corn note finish.
T- This beer has a big sulfury hops flavor that grows with a fizzy water taste in the finish.
M- This beer is a light mouthfeel with a big scrubbing fizzy finish.
D- This beer is sulfury and fizzy that covers most of the flavor and aroma except for the watery taste in the finish.

My first Victory branded beverage. I had high hopes and this one was pretty much average. I was hoping for Munich Helles style flavor but got "basic" out of it. The appearance was golden with a one finger head and a tiny bit of lacing. Smell was balanced as was the taste. Like I said above, Basic. Mouthfeel was right down the middle as was drinkability. Actually drinkability was pretty good and would be good for a rookie to try.

I thought I would give this beer a shot since the brewery is in the Philadelphia vicinity.It is pale yellow and the smell is average.Taste is unremarkable at first but has a nice fresh bread aftertaste.I would recommend this beer to my buddies,it's not great but it's definetly drinkable.

2.97/5  rDev -17.7%

The first two times I had this beer it was directly out of the bottle. The thing that comes to mind is "alright." It could definitely be better. It had a syrupy finish that detracted from the overall taste. The third time, in a glass, I was quite surprised at how light this beer looked. It reminded me of Coors Light. Very unexpected. All in all, not a bad beer. But not a good beer either.

Best before May 1, 2010.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: A starkly clear pale yellow body with tiny bubbles and a generous white head. Nice looking.

Smell: Um, smells a little like adjuncts here. I get some lemon & a grassy feel but can't help but feel the aroma is only a notch higher than a BMC.

Taste: A little better with a strong lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat also. Has a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur. Again, i find it tastes a little better than most macros but still, i kind of expected more.

Mouthfeel: Not too great. While it has a good zest and active carbonation that makes it lively, i find it soapy and not too comfortable in the palate.

Drinkability: Surprisingly a bit of a chore to finish this.

Overall: I'll pass next time. I like this brewery and their offerings but this one is not memorable.

2.96/5  rDev -18%

I'm crazy about most of Victory's offerings so I picked up singles of this and the Whirlwind Wit yesterday...

Pours a surprisingly clear light golden with a nice fluffy head... Lots of carbonation...looks pretty good..

I'm getting lots of sweet light malt and a macro-like corn aroma... Also, some sulfur going on.. Basically, smells beery if you will....hoping for a bit more in this dept...

If I didn't know better, I'd guess this was a macro... Its not bad or anything, but really just sorta average to me... Tastes sorta like a Bud or any of the other big names... Lots of light sweet malt and corn and virtually no hop presence... Again, sorta disappointing...

Overall... A letdown.. I was expecting more of a solid base of malt and hops that never disappoints, like Sam Adams, but this one didn't do it for me...

2.96/5  rDev -18%

The beer poured a remarkable clear gold with evident carbonation and a large foamy head that survived several minutes. The beer looked far more clear than I was expecting, even for a lager.

The aroma was obvious malt, grain and herbs. The aroa was not overpowering, or even all that strong.

The taste was not very satisfying. I usually like lagers, but this beer is not as sweet as some I have had in the past. I felt like I was drinking liquid Grape Nuts and the musty malt was overpowering.

I have to say I wanted to like this brew but it just wasn't my cup of...well, beer.

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance: Bright golden-blond color with no head and minimal lacing.

Smell: Grainy and malty with a little citrus in the background.

Taste: Not very appealing to me. The first thing I thought of when I tasted this beer was "Budweiser". Too much of a "grainy" flavor and it lacked substantial sweetness, too.

Mouthfeel: Not a lot to get excited about here. Barely any carbonation to speak of detracts somewhat.

Drinkability: Not a beer that I cared for. I was too reminded of a macro beer. It's interesting to read the other reviews of this beer. Most seem to think that it is a very good example of this beer style. Given that this is the first beer of this style I've reviewed, I am probably not fully appreciating what this beer has to offer, but I just didn't care for it. One positive thing to take away from this is that I like hops (and lots of 'em) in my beer.

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

A: A very light golden lager with a decent head and lots of carbonation

S: Pungent classic beer smell, a bit yeasty.

T: Crisp, strongly carbonated and a decent aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable, crisp on the palate.

An average lager for a microbrewery, but very drinkable. Definitely would pair well with food.

Victory Helles Lager from Victory Brewing Company