Victory Helles Lager - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Formerly Victory Lager
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Helles Lager Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pours a pale yellow with little to no head or lacing.

S: Not a lot going on, but there is a hint of bread/grain.

T: Pretty simple bready/grainy taste to hit. Very little bit of hops comes through.

D: Certainly drinkable on summer day or possibly as a session if you were into it. (285 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Well this is a perfectly average beer. A beer to recommend to the Bud drinker in your circle of friends as an entre' to better things. Pours a transparent pale gold with a sparse short-lived head that left no lace whatsoever....sigh. Persisitent light carbonation insufficient to form the sparsest of rings of foam on a beer clean glass. The aroma was light and bready, some sweetness hints of corn and faint floral hops. Taste was balanced and refreshing. Short lived sweetness fading to a hoppy finish that is persistent but faint. Mouthfeel is light. This is an easy drinking beer though a tad too "euro lager-ish" for my tastes. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. A refreshing and drinkable brew, perhaps a good brew to have around for the dog days of August when you are having many more than one. (797 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

This is a very light yellow beer. The head is about a half a finger but falls very very quickly. The aroma is mostly like corn, and I'm sorry to say that the flavor is mostly the same. It is light and fresh and except for a touch of diacetyl, it's kinda refreshing. A bit thinnish on the mouthfeel but appropriate enough for the style.
There is an easiness to drinking this that I cannot quite put my finger on, just wish something stood out a little more. (458 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

A: thin head on a hazy pale golden body.

S: musty light pale malts and grains.

T: overall bland with little standing out. Mostly malts and grains.

M: moist finish. medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: this one is very bland. I guess drinkable but not for the flavor. (280 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Rocktoberfest pint glass.

A - pours straw yellow with one finger of white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S - smells faintly of hops, but I'm not picking up much of anything

T - light and "beery" in the BMC sense of the word. There is a little bit of a crisp bite at the end from the hops. No off flavors detected, just no real on flavors detected either.

M - effervescent fizziness, refreshing coolness

D - The upside of the light body and low flavor profile is that I could drink these forever on a hot day if they were ice cold. Would be a good tailgating beer.

This came as part of a mix case, I would not get it on its own. It is what it is, a fuller bodied BMC clone. Not bad by any means, but I just prefer beer that have more going on with them. (819 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH, on my trip back to SE Ohio for Memorial Day Weekend. Anyhow....

Appearance: yellow, transparent, 1/2" white head on the pour

Smell: mild hops and some of that macrolager smell

Taste: some hops with a tinge of citrus, and some cereal malts (it seems anyways)

Mouthfeel: light body

Drinkability: could do two in a night (375 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

I bought a case of this at the Victory Brewpub in Downingtown, PA and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear golden color with a big white head that has ok retention and little to no lacing.
Smell: The aroma is a mild non-offensive malt.
Taste: The is a nice hop bit up front, follow by milt pale malt.
Mouthfeel: THe mouthfeel is both crisp and dry.
Drinkability: This is a great lawnmower beer. It is an excellently done approachable beer.
Don't drink and review. (487 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -16%

The beer pours a pale yellow with not a whole lot of head or anything remotely interesting. The smell at first was grassy, or hay like, with some citrus aromas, a maybe a bit of veggie in there too. As the beer settles, the sweeter malts emerge and some of the less pleasing macro like aromas disappear. The taste improves as the beer settle too. It began with too much the lemony, vegetable, sweetish macro flavors and segued into a slightly better flavor with more complex malts emerging. The beer is moderately carbonated, very light bodied, a bit on the watery side, and not all that interesting. It gets a bit more husky as my palate gets used to it. This is certainly better than most macro lagers you'll find, but if has pretentions to be more, there just isn't that much here that would keep me coming back. It's quite drinkable if you are after a thirst quencher. (872 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Apperance proposes a dark golden yellow hue with sunset red hints, kind of hazy. Aroma contains nice cookie maltiness, a bit toasty as well, light noble hops and mostly bready. I must say I’m not getting that much though. In mouth, its presence is very mild without too much going on and even a feeling approaching metal in the finish. Body is rather creamy and could use a bit more carbonation I believe. This is miles away from prima pils unfortunately and I really wanted to enjoy it as I felt it was a great day for an helles. Thanks Francis (546 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Tasted on-tap 6/15/05 and 6/22/05 at Mighty Mike's in Sterling, VA.

Had to try twice (a week apart) and verify a few times that this was really a Victory product that I was poured.

Straw colored with a very low white head. Not much of an aroma or flavor ... what is there is very light in the malt dept but not very grainy like I find with most Helles beers. No hops to speak of. Fairly light bodied and weak. I'd almost swear this was a macro.

Not a very good Helles -- a decent All Malt American Lager I guess but not one I'd go back to.

Per Victory website: 4.8% ABV (581 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Very, very light yellow with NO head or lacing...bubbles rising quickly to the top looking for an escape. Clean nose with hints of hops and german malts.
Taste is an onlought of carbonation. Hints of sweet gum, fruit mainly banannas and a bitter edge. Light on the feel (269 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Eh. Nothing special here. Very middle of the road for a lager. I guess you could say this is what a lager should taste like, but there's nothing distinguishable about it. Pours a light golden with good foam. It's very drinkable, yes, but because there's not too much to it. If I'm looking for a quick drink, I'd choose this over a Sprite, but that's about it. (359 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

To be honest, I am not entirely sure what to expect from a Munich Helles Lager, should it be super light colore with little head and a grainy nose? Hopefully, cuz thats what is going on here.

Pours a very pale golden, very very clean and clear. Head is less than a quarter inch and goes away quickly.

Smell is very grainy, corny, wheaty and slightly sour/sweet. Nothing too amazing.

Taste is honestly a bit like Welch's grapefruit juice watered down with some corn juice. That is exactly what this tastes like to me. If you gave a VERY, VERY cold bottle of this to me on a HOT, HOT day I think it would be close to perfect but not right now, it lacks a lot of character IMO.

Taste macro-ey and doesn't do much for me... (723 characters)

(Served in an American pint glass) best before Mar 19 2010
A- This beer has a crystal clear golden yellow body with a thin white head soon to disappears with tiny bubbles in slow motion. S- This beer has a soft sighty sweet malt with a Munich malt hint and pale malt with some field corn note finish.
T- This beer has a big sulfury hops flavor that grows with a fizzy water taste in the finish.
M- This beer is a light mouthfeel with a big scrubbing fizzy finish.
D- This beer is sulfury and fizzy that covers most of the flavor and aroma except for the watery taste in the finish. (585 characters)

My first Victory branded beverage. I had high hopes and this one was pretty much average. I was hoping for Munich Helles style flavor but got "basic" out of it. The appearance was golden with a one finger head and a tiny bit of lacing. Smell was balanced as was the taste. Like I said above, Basic. Mouthfeel was right down the middle as was drinkability. Actually drinkability was pretty good and would be good for a rookie to try. (432 characters)

I thought I would give this beer a shot since the brewery is in the Philadelphia vicinity.It is pale yellow and the smell is average.Taste is unremarkable at first but has a nice fresh bread aftertaste.I would recommend this beer to my buddies,it's not great but it's definetly drinkable. (288 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18%

The first two times I had this beer it was directly out of the bottle. The thing that comes to mind is "alright." It could definitely be better. It had a syrupy finish that detracted from the overall taste. The third time, in a glass, I was quite surprised at how light this beer looked. It reminded me of Coors Light. Very unexpected. All in all, not a bad beer. But not a good beer either. (391 characters)

Best before May 1, 2010.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: A starkly clear pale yellow body with tiny bubbles and a generous white head. Nice looking.

Smell: Um, smells a little like adjuncts here. I get some lemon & a grassy feel but can't help but feel the aroma is only a notch higher than a BMC.

Taste: A little better with a strong lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat also. Has a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur. Again, i find it tastes a little better than most macros but still, i kind of expected more.

Mouthfeel: Not too great. While it has a good zest and active carbonation that makes it lively, i find it soapy and not too comfortable in the palate.

Drinkability: Surprisingly a bit of a chore to finish this.

Overall: I'll pass next time. I like this brewery and their offerings but this one is not memorable. (841 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

I'm crazy about most of Victory's offerings so I picked up singles of this and the Whirlwind Wit yesterday...

Pours a surprisingly clear light golden with a nice fluffy head... Lots of carbonation...looks pretty good..

I'm getting lots of sweet light malt and a macro-like corn aroma... Also, some sulfur going on.. Basically, smells beery if you will....hoping for a bit more in this dept...

If I didn't know better, I'd guess this was a macro... Its not bad or anything, but really just sorta average to me... Tastes sorta like a Bud or any of the other big names... Lots of light sweet malt and corn and virtually no hop presence... Again, sorta disappointing...

Overall... A letdown.. I was expecting more of a solid base of malt and hops that never disappoints, like Sam Adams, but this one didn't do it for me... (823 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

The beer poured a remarkable clear gold with evident carbonation and a large foamy head that survived several minutes. The beer looked far more clear than I was expecting, even for a lager.

The aroma was obvious malt, grain and herbs. The aroa was not overpowering, or even all that strong.

The taste was not very satisfying. I usually like lagers, but this beer is not as sweet as some I have had in the past. I felt like I was drinking liquid Grape Nuts and the musty malt was overpowering.

I have to say I wanted to like this brew but it just wasn't my cup of...well, beer. (585 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Bright golden-blond color with no head and minimal lacing.

Smell: Grainy and malty with a little citrus in the background.

Taste: Not very appealing to me. The first thing I thought of when I tasted this beer was "Budweiser". Too much of a "grainy" flavor and it lacked substantial sweetness, too.

Mouthfeel: Not a lot to get excited about here. Barely any carbonation to speak of detracts somewhat.

Drinkability: Not a beer that I cared for. I was too reminded of a macro beer. It's interesting to read the other reviews of this beer. Most seem to think that it is a very good example of this beer style. Given that this is the first beer of this style I've reviewed, I am probably not fully appreciating what this beer has to offer, but I just didn't care for it. One positive thing to take away from this is that I like hops (and lots of 'em) in my beer. (881 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

A: A very light golden lager with a decent head and lots of carbonation

S: Pungent classic beer smell, a bit yeasty.

T: Crisp, strongly carbonated and a decent aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable, crisp on the palate.

An average lager for a microbrewery, but very drinkable. Definitely would pair well with food. (310 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden color with white frothy heading. Heading dissolves very quickly. Slowly carbonation bubbles drift upward kind of trippy. Very earthy and nutty smell with a citrus ending. Taste is very dry with alot of carbonation kind of to much, almost unenjoyable. I would call this a light lager that is very carbonated. Leaves no lacing at all. A kind of let down for a highly rated brew. (437 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

I had a 12 oz. bottle of this.
A- It has a straw-yellow color to it. It had a slight bubbly head that dissipated quickly and left no lace.
S- There's a hint of bitter hops there.
T- It's a very dry beer. Too dry, really. Crisp, with a slight bitterness and some wheaty overtones. Not that impressed. (299 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Paid $28 for the mixed case...

The beer pours a slightly hazy light golden base with a medium white head, minimal head retention and a few specs on the glass in the end. The aroma.... what aroma, where are the hops, a very faint smell.

The taste is just average, a little flavor but that is it, very one dimensional and average as a helles. The mouthfeel left a slight dry and harsh touch in the end, it wasn't a particular favorite. Decent drinkability, for a standard beer over Bud I would take it and split a pitcher with someone, but I would rather end with this than start with it.

Final Thought: An average Lager, disappointing coming from Victory. (664 characters)

Victory Helles Lager from Victory Brewing Company