2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Victory Lager - Victory Brewing Company

Victory LagerVictory Lager

good

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 641 | Reviews: 332 | Show All Ratings:
TheFightfan1

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden color with white frothy heading. Heading dissolves very quickly. Slowly carbonation bubbles drift upward kind of trippy. Very earthy and nutty smell with a citrus ending. Taste is very dry with alot of carbonation kind of to much, almost unenjoyable. I would call this a light lager that is very carbonated. Leaves no lacing at all. A kind of let down for a highly rated brew.

01-18-2009 19:21:51 | More by TheFightfan1
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

Best before May 1, 2010.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: A starkly clear pale yellow body with tiny bubbles and a generous white head. Nice looking.

Smell: Um, smells a little like adjuncts here. I get some lemon & a grassy feel but can't help but feel the aroma is only a notch higher than a BMC.

Taste: A little better with a strong lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat also. Has a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur. Again, i find it tastes a little better than most macros but still, i kind of expected more.

Mouthfeel: Not too great. While it has a good zest and active carbonation that makes it lively, i find it soapy and not too comfortable in the palate.

Drinkability: Surprisingly a bit of a chore to finish this.

Overall: I'll pass next time. I like this brewery and their offerings but this one is not memorable.

01-16-2010 02:11:46 | More by papat444
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

I'm crazy about most of Victory's offerings so I picked up singles of this and the Whirlwind Wit yesterday...

Pours a surprisingly clear light golden with a nice fluffy head... Lots of carbonation...looks pretty good..

I'm getting lots of sweet light malt and a macro-like corn aroma... Also, some sulfur going on.. Basically, smells beery if you will....hoping for a bit more in this dept...

If I didn't know better, I'd guess this was a macro... Its not bad or anything, but really just sorta average to me... Tastes sorta like a Bud or any of the other big names... Lots of light sweet malt and corn and virtually no hop presence... Again, sorta disappointing...

Overall... A letdown.. I was expecting more of a solid base of malt and hops that never disappoints, like Sam Adams, but this one didn't do it for me...

01-22-2010 14:04:44 | More by Tilley4
vette2006c5r

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Victory Lager poured a bright golden color with almost no head. Even though it was a fresh bottle, it smelt a little skunked, and veery light. It tasted like a traditional lager but very light. The flavors were barley noticable. Overall I was dissapointed with this. The flavors needed to be much stronger, tasted like a watered down sam adams lager, but cost more money. Deffently not the best lager, or the best beer by victory.

07-09-2010 00:00:10 | More by vette2006c5r
kindestcut

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

The beer poured a remarkable clear gold with evident carbonation and a large foamy head that survived several minutes. The beer looked far more clear than I was expecting, even for a lager.

The aroma was obvious malt, grain and herbs. The aroa was not overpowering, or even all that strong.

The taste was not very satisfying. I usually like lagers, but this beer is not as sweet as some I have had in the past. I felt like I was drinking liquid Grape Nuts and the musty malt was overpowering.

I have to say I wanted to like this brew but it just wasn't my cup of...well, beer.

09-16-2003 20:09:42 | More by kindestcut
guinness33

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

victory really continues to disappoint me. with exception of the wonderfully tasty hopdevil, the other brews of theirs that i've sampled thusfar really seem to be below the standards that i had hoped for them. the all malt lager is easily the worst of the lot that i have had. it pours a macro looking crisp straw golden colour with no head. i was very disappointed here. the smell and taste: average to slightly below average. both are watery and malty with a touch of grass, sweetness and hops. any flavour is way in the back behind the watery characteristics that dominate here. there's nothing here, really. bland. boring. blah. the one thing i will give this brew is that it is crisp and refreshing on a hot summer day, a bit moreso than your standard macro would be/is. this one is better than those macros, but not by much. i expected more from you victory and you keep disappointing. convince me otherwise...please.

06-25-2004 20:58:30 | More by guinness33
DaggerEyes

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a brown bottle with a "best before" stamp on it, into my trusty pint glass...Victory lager poured a golden yellow with a small head that disappated to leave hardly anything behind, all that was visible of the head was a faint faint ring or lace around the rim. Thin beads of carbonation rushed to the surface.

Took a few deep whiffs of this but had trouble pulling much of any character off the nose. A faint yeasty or bready scent was detectable.

The taste was really nothing to get excited over, bready yeasty really reminds me of a slightly better version of budwiser, not exactly what you expect when you spend your money on "Victory" if I had wanted a beer with characteristics like this I would have just bought a case of Bud for what I plopped down for a sixer of this.

The mouthfeel was the only thing that really set it apart from a cheap lager. slightly more carbonated and a little more active in the mouth. Water thin yet at times it feels like it is attemping to acheive a more medium body.

Very drinkable in the way any cheap lager is...not something you sit back and savor, but something you drink at a out of control house party...

all in all this is definately not worth the price. Bummer

03-28-2006 03:18:32 | More by DaggerEyes
Amalak

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

I had a 12 oz. bottle of this.
A- It has a straw-yellow color to it. It had a slight bubbly head that dissipated quickly and left no lace.
S- There's a hint of bitter hops there.
T- It's a very dry beer. Too dry, really. Crisp, with a slight bitterness and some wheaty overtones. Not that impressed.

07-20-2009 20:56:38 | More by Amalak
happy4hoppybeer

2.9/5  rDev -19%

Pours a bright, clear yellow/light gold, with moderate white head about an inch thick. Retains for a few minutes, then quickly vanishes, leaving no lacing. Typical weak lager appearance.

My nose detects scents of lemon,citrus, grains and light malt. A little weird, but has character.

Mouth absorbs faint traces of malt and graininess. A slight acidic and bitter citrus-like edge near the end of tasting. probably from hops. Fairly light-bodied, with your typical lager high carbonation.

As you may know I am generally not a fan of plain ol' lagers(the non-pilsener and non-Oktoberfest kind), so I did not expect much from this. That said, it is what it is. Not supposed to be extraordinary, just an everyday-type session brew. It's rather average at that, because I know there's better offerings in this style out there.

09-09-2011 02:05:13 | More by happy4hoppybeer
UnionMade

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Review is for the export style.
The beer pours a clear straw gold, topped with a huge, craggy white head. The head foamed up like crazy, filling half the glass with head. Very sticky lacing, forming large clumps of broken head on the glass.
Aroma is slightly sour and oxodized, with a winey white grape quality. Crisp pale malts and some mellow herbal hopping beneath. Mostly an oxodized aroma, which is a shame. I was assured this was fresh.
Clean pilsner malts dominate the flavor, with a light, crisp hoppiness following, finishing slightly dry and grainy, with a hint of unripened peach sourness. Moderate oxodization, with a bit of a papery flavor in the aftertaste, and some wine-like grape notes. Huge, mouthfilling carbonation, most likely because of the age, with a medium body.
It's a shame this is old, because I expect the hops are wonderful. Unfortunately, they've all but disappeared. I'll have to try this again.

09-10-2003 02:02:21 | More by UnionMade
CraftBeerTastic

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Ba Review #112
Served On: 01/20/2012
Glassware: Duvel Glass
Labeled ABV:
Date/ Code: 02/13/2012

This bottle was mixed in with a sixer of home brews I got from a buddy of mine.

Look: Lemony yellow color with possibly some chill-haze going on. The head was nothing more than a white coating of film. Carbonation was ok. Nothing too crazy.

Smell: I got sort of a pancake batter with some citrus hop notes. Definitely not a bad aroma for your typical lager.

Taste: The taste was very light and crisp. Some faint citrus was up front with a very watery middle. The bready notes from the aroma were definitely not in the taste. This beer is more reminiscent of a summer ale or wheat beer.

This beer was ok. It would basically put this beer into the 'lawn mower' category.

01-21-2012 00:14:15 | More by CraftBeerTastic
JISurfer

South Carolina

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This was a disappointment for me. I guess I was expecting much more from this brewery. I was really excited to try it, but it did let me down. The main reason was the smell and taste. They were way too much like a lot of the Euro Lagers out there. The only thing, was that it had an ok look to it. Skunk abounded in this bottle for me. Not something I would offer to anyone I liked.

11-15-2005 04:25:12 | More by JISurfer
kpw1000

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

I was pretty disappointed in this beer.

I acknowledge up front my bias against this style: I prefer an IPA, a trippel, a milk stout or oatmeal stout, a nice brown ale.

While I'm not partial to this style, I've had the Weihenstephaner Original and loved it, and of similar styles, I've enjoyed immensely Hacker Pschorr's Oktoberfest, and several others.

I also have a generally favorable bias for Victory; they're kind of local and I've liked the Prima Pils, and loved (loved!) Golden Monkey and HopDevil Ale.

But this beer, while a nice color, a nice pour, a nice feel, seemed utterly bland in flavor. I know this style is not known for the power of its taste, but this seemed unacceptably and exceptionally insipid.

Sorry.

05-05-2006 00:17:38 | More by kpw1000
PSUDREW

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%

It pours a light strwa color. It also has a light, sweet note to it, and bery hop resonance. not so much a presence, but it is there, and it is a resonance. Pours a light straw color, but not muh to it. It is very fizzy, but that is it. Over-all, I feel it has a light, sweet, malty flavor to it. The hops are there, but it is an after thoguht. Over all it has a nice, light mouth-fell, and, IMOO, it could be a good conversion beer.

01-24-2004 05:18:36 | More by PSUDREW
deaconoflove

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%

Ap. Victory Lager ia a very pale, pale yellow with a nice white frothy head. Not much lacing.
Sm/Ta. Can a beer smell and taste pale? This is a very mild beer. There is little smell or taste. It reminds me of less expensive, lessor quality beers. There is some perhaps grain/corn smell and taste.
Mf. Pale and thin?
Dr. Yes, but I'm not sure why.

10-26-2009 21:49:15 | More by deaconoflove
WVbeergeek

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance: Appears a pale straw color gold with a nice sized white foaming head leaving speckled lacing without much consistency to the pattern. Aroma: Grainy and light in malt sweetness, there is just a touch of hop presence in the air, I mean I know the helles style lager is delicate but this is a beer marketed toward the masses not one I m proud to hoist from Victory at this point. Taste: Crisp refreshing grassy sweet texture from the imported malts and a good amount of bitterness here to obtain balance, overall disappointing in the flavor department whatever happened to my beloved export style lager, shame on you Bill and Ron your targeting a "Bud/Miller/Coors" crowd with this one what happened to "we brew the type of beers that we like to drink"? Okay that was harsh considering this is a difficult style to make clean tasting balanced brew, I can also fathom how Victory needs a beer on the light side, but this one borders watery for me. Mouthfeel: Is thin carbonated water like texture, just no character. Drinkability: It's alright even good and refreshing but lacking the awesome flavor profile of the export style lager that anyone who purchased the Victory sampler found as a true jewel, in one word disappointing I was at least expecting a very flavorful Helles, oh well yeah I think I could drink a six pack of this without feeling anything. Light, crisp, refreshing lawnmower beer with no off tones, well constructed but lacking flavor.

09-03-2003 14:13:54 | More by WVbeergeek
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.73/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into pint glass,beer was light golden,straw color.Lots of carbination,white creamy head dissapated quickly. Has a bread-like aroma. no real hop presense.Grainey,bread taste,not much of a hop bitterness.It tasted thin, not much body.Would be a good beer served cold on a hot day,not a filling beer at all.Not what I'm used to from Victory.

09-14-2006 02:37:36 | More by jcdiflorio
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev -26%

Nothing special, at Mondial 2005. Another mediocre malty lager. But of head, something people watching a hockey game would down without thinking, or tasting. Malty, significant carbonation. Light golden. I had this before the bolder beers, didn't help.

06-05-2005 04:40:59 | More by Sammy
jakester

2.6/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is from a sampler case I got at Shelbourne Beer Distributor. The date (Nov 13 '05) is clearly marked on the case. On the label is marked "Enjoy by Nov 14 05". However, there is something clearly wrong with this beer.

Pours a medium yellow with millions of tiny floaters in there. The white head seems bubbly and lasts about one minute, then drops to nothing. Uh-oh.

Aroma is pilsner malt, with some spicy hops in the back. There is some kind of off smell in there, like it's old. Kind of cardboardy, and not pleasant. It's in date, so something is awry.

Flavor is like the smell. Tastes ok at first, nice pilsner malts and spicy hops, but there is a definite wet cardboard taste. As I drink this, the off flavors get worse. Very disappointing beer from Victory.

Mouthfeel is ok, sort of medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. The finish is on the dry side.

I know Victory laughs at the idea that their beers are not as good since they installed their new brewery, but in my opinion, they are not. I've never had so many bad beers from Victory as I'm getting now. This beer is in date, and it's shot. A damn shame.

10-05-2005 17:00:40 | More by jakester
maddogruss

2.53/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a straw, yellow body with a small, carbonated white head. Head fizzled away immediately like a glass of Sprite. No lacing was evident from start to finish.

S: Hints of sweet malts and slightly bready.

T: Tasted like a watery beer. Hints of sweet, honey malts. Corn was evident in the aftertaste.

M: Over carbonated beer. This beer was brewed and then infused with carbon dioxide. The body itself felt like it was watered down a little bit before it was bottled.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer, but not for the taste. The light and almost tasteless nature of this beer makes it not just drinkable but poundable. I can slam these back all night long without missing a beat or feeling bloated at all.

01-02-2008 20:35:08 | More by maddogruss
hardy008

2.53/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow color with a white head which has average retention and some lacing. The smell has grain, grassy hops, yeast, and a bit of sulfur? Not entirely pleasant.

The sulfur shows up in the taste too, as does grain, yeast, and grassy hops. There is a little bit of sweetness, which is mostly overpowered by the sulfur.

Light bodied, dry, plenty of carbonation. Not my favorite lager by any means. Not the worst either, but plenty of room for improvement.

11-18-2011 04:07:36 | More by hardy008
roguetester

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

This is a review of the reformulated All Malt Lager. It is now "Helles Style". I picked up a growle of the beer while in the area and took it home to sample...

The beer poured with a large white head that dissapated quickly. Beer is extremely clear, light yellow in color.

I'm not sure what Hops variety added to the aroma, but I did not like it. It may be the style, but I was not a fan. It seemed rather pungent.

The taste was clean as was the aftertaste. Very little in the way of malt or hops flavoring. This beer is about as easy drinking as they make them.

I'm having a hard time trying to describe this beer without using phrases like Bud or Miller. Helles is Germany for light and this tasted like a light beer. There was an article in the forum about if breweries should have guest light beers on tap. I think Victory has answered by creating this lowest common denominator brew.

Having gone to High School I consider Victory my home town brewery and support them when I can. I, however, do not have much good to say about the new All Malt Lager.

08-03-2003 11:21:16 | More by roguetester
AltBock

2.42/5  rDev -32.4%

12 oz. bottle with a label that has a big red "V" smack dab in the middle of it. To the right of the "V" is the barcode and US Government warning. To the left of the "V" is address of the brewery and a heafty paragraph describing the beer. A clearly stamped "Enjoy by" date is in between the paragraph and the big red "V." The refund values can be found on the small neck label.

Appearance: I decided to pour this Lager into my Bell's Brewery standard American pint glass. This Victory beer poured a disappointing extrememly clear and light straw yellow. The head of foam started off with a 1/2 inch head of white fizzy foam that just fizzled away completely in only 2 seconds. It did manage to leave behind a handful of small white rings and a spot of white bubbly lace.

Smell: The only thing I got in the beginning was the faintest aroma of malted grains and a small dab of floral hops. I thought that was it until I swirled it around and received a slightly fruity aroma. At least there wasn't corn or rice in there.

Taste: According to the paragraph, I'm guessing this is suppose to be a take on a throw back lager from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I believe they got what they wanted. The taste started off with malted grains and then ended with crispy German hops. That's all folks! No hidden taste or anything along those lines. It was just a taste of malted grains and hops.

Mouthfeel: It was clearly a light beer with a weak aftertaste of crispy German hops. After the light taste, I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got.

Drinkability: It's clearly not my favorite Victory beer, but it would however make a great substitute for any of your run of the mill macros out there. Not a victory for Victory with this one.

12-31-2007 19:18:24 | More by AltBock
Soonami

2.42/5  rDev -32.4%

Had on-tap in a pint class at Standard Tap, Phila, last night.

I wanted a lighter beer to quench my thirst last night after a long day of traveling and this beer disappointed. I expected a beer similar to Prima Pils with less herby hoppiness and more body and malt. Instead, I got a piss-yellow, lager with little hop flavor, not much malt or body, and no head. The beer with thin and tasted like nothing I was expecting. Granted this is a step up from Yuengling Lager and the like, but it's not what I would expect from a Victory lager. Maybe this is what the style is supposed to be like, but I did not like it one bit. I was very disappointed and left wishing I had ordered the Stoudt's APA that my dinner companion had, in place of what I had gotten.

06-28-2009 22:07:49 | More by Soonami
sturner26

2.38/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into normal pint glass.

A: Clear pale yellow, bordering on golden. Tiny bubbles and a 2-3 inch white head that fades quickly.

S: Smells like an adjunct to be honest. Some lemon and grass but the smell makes me think I'm drinking an BMC.

T: With the smell of adjunct in my nose, I couldn't help but find the taste to be slightly above BMC. Lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat but it had a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur and was not great.

M: Good (compared to an BMC, which has become my standard for this beer unfortunatly). Good zest and active carbonation similar to a pils.

D: Not great. Packaged in a mized case with Hopdevil, Prima Pils, and Golden Monkey, I know which beer will be my last resort every time I visit the fridge.

03-24-2011 15:41:50 | More by sturner26