Victory Lager - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Lager Alström Bros
sturner26

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into normal pint glass.

A: Clear pale yellow, bordering on golden. Tiny bubbles and a 2-3 inch white head that fades quickly.

S: Smells like an adjunct to be honest. Some lemon and grass but the smell makes me think I'm drinking an BMC.

T: With the smell of adjunct in my nose, I couldn't help but find the taste to be slightly above BMC. Lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat but it had a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur and was not great.

M: Good (compared to an BMC, which has become my standard for this beer unfortunatly). Good zest and active carbonation similar to a pils.

D: Not great. Packaged in a mized case with Hopdevil, Prima Pils, and Golden Monkey, I know which beer will be my last resort every time I visit the fridge.

03-24-2011 15:41:50 | More by sturner26
Soonami

2.42/5  rDev -32.2%

Had on-tap in a pint class at Standard Tap, Phila, last night.

I wanted a lighter beer to quench my thirst last night after a long day of traveling and this beer disappointed. I expected a beer similar to Prima Pils with less herby hoppiness and more body and malt. Instead, I got a piss-yellow, lager with little hop flavor, not much malt or body, and no head. The beer with thin and tasted like nothing I was expecting. Granted this is a step up from Yuengling Lager and the like, but it's not what I would expect from a Victory lager. Maybe this is what the style is supposed to be like, but I did not like it one bit. I was very disappointed and left wishing I had ordered the Stoudt's APA that my dinner companion had, in place of what I had gotten.

06-28-2009 22:07:49 | More by Soonami
AltBock

2.42/5  rDev -32.2%

12 oz. bottle with a label that has a big red "V" smack dab in the middle of it. To the right of the "V" is the barcode and US Government warning. To the left of the "V" is address of the brewery and a heafty paragraph describing the beer. A clearly stamped "Enjoy by" date is in between the paragraph and the big red "V." The refund values can be found on the small neck label.

Appearance: I decided to pour this Lager into my Bell's Brewery standard American pint glass. This Victory beer poured a disappointing extrememly clear and light straw yellow. The head of foam started off with a 1/2 inch head of white fizzy foam that just fizzled away completely in only 2 seconds. It did manage to leave behind a handful of small white rings and a spot of white bubbly lace.

Smell: The only thing I got in the beginning was the faintest aroma of malted grains and a small dab of floral hops. I thought that was it until I swirled it around and received a slightly fruity aroma. At least there wasn't corn or rice in there.

Taste: According to the paragraph, I'm guessing this is suppose to be a take on a throw back lager from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I believe they got what they wanted. The taste started off with malted grains and then ended with crispy German hops. That's all folks! No hidden taste or anything along those lines. It was just a taste of malted grains and hops.

Mouthfeel: It was clearly a light beer with a weak aftertaste of crispy German hops. After the light taste, I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got.

Drinkability: It's clearly not my favorite Victory beer, but it would however make a great substitute for any of your run of the mill macros out there. Not a victory for Victory with this one.

12-31-2007 19:18:24 | More by AltBock

TheBigBoy

05-05-2013 04:00:50 | More by TheBigBoy
roguetester

2.5/5  rDev -30%

This is a review of the reformulated All Malt Lager. It is now "Helles Style". I picked up a growle of the beer while in the area and took it home to sample...

The beer poured with a large white head that dissapated quickly. Beer is extremely clear, light yellow in color.

I'm not sure what Hops variety added to the aroma, but I did not like it. It may be the style, but I was not a fan. It seemed rather pungent.

The taste was clean as was the aftertaste. Very little in the way of malt or hops flavoring. This beer is about as easy drinking as they make them.

I'm having a hard time trying to describe this beer without using phrases like Bud or Miller. Helles is Germany for light and this tasted like a light beer. There was an article in the forum about if breweries should have guest light beers on tap. I think Victory has answered by creating this lowest common denominator brew.

Having gone to High School I consider Victory my home town brewery and support them when I can. I, however, do not have much good to say about the new All Malt Lager.

08-03-2003 11:21:16 | More by roguetester

Jason1337

04-17-2013 18:07:37 | More by Jason1337
maddogruss

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a straw, yellow body with a small, carbonated white head. Head fizzled away immediately like a glass of Sprite. No lacing was evident from start to finish.

S: Hints of sweet malts and slightly bready.

T: Tasted like a watery beer. Hints of sweet, honey malts. Corn was evident in the aftertaste.

M: Over carbonated beer. This beer was brewed and then infused with carbon dioxide. The body itself felt like it was watered down a little bit before it was bottled.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer, but not for the taste. The light and almost tasteless nature of this beer makes it not just drinkable but poundable. I can slam these back all night long without missing a beat or feeling bloated at all.

01-02-2008 20:35:08 | More by maddogruss
hardy008

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

Yellow color with a white head which has average retention and some lacing. The smell has grain, grassy hops, yeast, and a bit of sulfur? Not entirely pleasant.

The sulfur shows up in the taste too, as does grain, yeast, and grassy hops. There is a little bit of sweetness, which is mostly overpowered by the sulfur.

Light bodied, dry, plenty of carbonation. Not my favorite lager by any means. Not the worst either, but plenty of room for improvement.

11-18-2011 04:07:36 | More by hardy008
jakester

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%

This is from a sampler case I got at Shelbourne Beer Distributor. The date (Nov 13 '05) is clearly marked on the case. On the label is marked "Enjoy by Nov 14 05". However, there is something clearly wrong with this beer.

Pours a medium yellow with millions of tiny floaters in there. The white head seems bubbly and lasts about one minute, then drops to nothing. Uh-oh.

Aroma is pilsner malt, with some spicy hops in the back. There is some kind of off smell in there, like it's old. Kind of cardboardy, and not pleasant. It's in date, so something is awry.

Flavor is like the smell. Tastes ok at first, nice pilsner malts and spicy hops, but there is a definite wet cardboard taste. As I drink this, the off flavors get worse. Very disappointing beer from Victory.

Mouthfeel is ok, sort of medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. The finish is on the dry side.

I know Victory laughs at the idea that their beers are not as good since they installed their new brewery, but in my opinion, they are not. I've never had so many bad beers from Victory as I'm getting now. This beer is in date, and it's shot. A damn shame.

10-05-2005 17:00:40 | More by jakester
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev -25.8%

Nothing special, at Mondial 2005. Another mediocre malty lager. But of head, something people watching a hockey game would down without thinking, or tasting. Malty, significant carbonation. Light golden. I had this before the bolder beers, didn't help.

06-05-2005 04:40:59 | More by Sammy
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured into pint glass,beer was light golden,straw color.Lots of carbination,white creamy head dissapated quickly. Has a bread-like aroma. no real hop presense.Grainey,bread taste,not much of a hop bitterness.It tasted thin, not much body.Would be a good beer served cold on a hot day,not a filling beer at all.Not what I'm used to from Victory.

09-14-2006 02:37:36 | More by jcdiflorio
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.75/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: Appears a pale straw color gold with a nice sized white foaming head leaving speckled lacing without much consistency to the pattern. Aroma: Grainy and light in malt sweetness, there is just a touch of hop presence in the air, I mean I know the helles style lager is delicate but this is a beer marketed toward the masses not one I m proud to hoist from Victory at this point. Taste: Crisp refreshing grassy sweet texture from the imported malts and a good amount of bitterness here to obtain balance, overall disappointing in the flavor department whatever happened to my beloved export style lager, shame on you Bill and Ron your targeting a "Bud/Miller/Coors" crowd with this one what happened to "we brew the type of beers that we like to drink"? Okay that was harsh considering this is a difficult style to make clean tasting balanced brew, I can also fathom how Victory needs a beer on the light side, but this one borders watery for me. Mouthfeel: Is thin carbonated water like texture, just no character. Drinkability: It's alright even good and refreshing but lacking the awesome flavor profile of the export style lager that anyone who purchased the Victory sampler found as a true jewel, in one word disappointing I was at least expecting a very flavorful Helles, oh well yeah I think I could drink a six pack of this without feeling anything. Light, crisp, refreshing lawnmower beer with no off tones, well constructed but lacking flavor.

09-03-2003 14:13:54 | More by WVbeergeek