2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Victory Lager - Victory Brewing Company

Victory LagerVictory Lager

good

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 642 | Reviews: 332 | Show All Ratings:
kpw1000

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

I was pretty disappointed in this beer.

I acknowledge up front my bias against this style: I prefer an IPA, a trippel, a milk stout or oatmeal stout, a nice brown ale.

While I'm not partial to this style, I've had the Weihenstephaner Original and loved it, and of similar styles, I've enjoyed immensely Hacker Pschorr's Oktoberfest, and several others.

I also have a generally favorable bias for Victory; they're kind of local and I've liked the Prima Pils, and loved (loved!) Golden Monkey and HopDevil Ale.

But this beer, while a nice color, a nice pour, a nice feel, seemed utterly bland in flavor. I know this style is not known for the power of its taste, but this seemed unacceptably and exceptionally insipid.

Sorry.

05-05-2006 00:17:38 | More by kpw1000
UnionMade

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Review is for the export style.
The beer pours a clear straw gold, topped with a huge, craggy white head. The head foamed up like crazy, filling half the glass with head. Very sticky lacing, forming large clumps of broken head on the glass.
Aroma is slightly sour and oxodized, with a winey white grape quality. Crisp pale malts and some mellow herbal hopping beneath. Mostly an oxodized aroma, which is a shame. I was assured this was fresh.
Clean pilsner malts dominate the flavor, with a light, crisp hoppiness following, finishing slightly dry and grainy, with a hint of unripened peach sourness. Moderate oxodization, with a bit of a papery flavor in the aftertaste, and some wine-like grape notes. Huge, mouthfilling carbonation, most likely because of the age, with a medium body.
It's a shame this is old, because I expect the hops are wonderful. Unfortunately, they've all but disappeared. I'll have to try this again.

09-10-2003 02:02:21 | More by UnionMade
CraftBeerTastic

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Ba Review #112
Served On: 01/20/2012
Glassware: Duvel Glass
Labeled ABV:
Date/ Code: 02/13/2012

This bottle was mixed in with a sixer of home brews I got from a buddy of mine.

Look: Lemony yellow color with possibly some chill-haze going on. The head was nothing more than a white coating of film. Carbonation was ok. Nothing too crazy.

Smell: I got sort of a pancake batter with some citrus hop notes. Definitely not a bad aroma for your typical lager.

Taste: The taste was very light and crisp. Some faint citrus was up front with a very watery middle. The bready notes from the aroma were definitely not in the taste. This beer is more reminiscent of a summer ale or wheat beer.

This beer was ok. It would basically put this beer into the 'lawn mower' category.

01-21-2012 00:14:15 | More by CraftBeerTastic
happy4hoppybeer

2.9/5  rDev -19%

Pours a bright, clear yellow/light gold, with moderate white head about an inch thick. Retains for a few minutes, then quickly vanishes, leaving no lacing. Typical weak lager appearance.

My nose detects scents of lemon,citrus, grains and light malt. A little weird, but has character.

Mouth absorbs faint traces of malt and graininess. A slight acidic and bitter citrus-like edge near the end of tasting. probably from hops. Fairly light-bodied, with your typical lager high carbonation.

As you may know I am generally not a fan of plain ol' lagers(the non-pilsener and non-Oktoberfest kind), so I did not expect much from this. That said, it is what it is. Not supposed to be extraordinary, just an everyday-type session brew. It's rather average at that, because I know there's better offerings in this style out there.

09-09-2011 02:05:13 | More by happy4hoppybeer
kindestcut

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

The beer poured a remarkable clear gold with evident carbonation and a large foamy head that survived several minutes. The beer looked far more clear than I was expecting, even for a lager.

The aroma was obvious malt, grain and herbs. The aroa was not overpowering, or even all that strong.

The taste was not very satisfying. I usually like lagers, but this beer is not as sweet as some I have had in the past. I felt like I was drinking liquid Grape Nuts and the musty malt was overpowering.

I have to say I wanted to like this brew but it just wasn't my cup of...well, beer.

09-16-2003 20:09:42 | More by kindestcut
guinness33

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

victory really continues to disappoint me. with exception of the wonderfully tasty hopdevil, the other brews of theirs that i've sampled thusfar really seem to be below the standards that i had hoped for them. the all malt lager is easily the worst of the lot that i have had. it pours a macro looking crisp straw golden colour with no head. i was very disappointed here. the smell and taste: average to slightly below average. both are watery and malty with a touch of grass, sweetness and hops. any flavour is way in the back behind the watery characteristics that dominate here. there's nothing here, really. bland. boring. blah. the one thing i will give this brew is that it is crisp and refreshing on a hot summer day, a bit moreso than your standard macro would be/is. this one is better than those macros, but not by much. i expected more from you victory and you keep disappointing. convince me otherwise...please.

06-25-2004 20:58:30 | More by guinness33
DaggerEyes

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a brown bottle with a "best before" stamp on it, into my trusty pint glass...Victory lager poured a golden yellow with a small head that disappated to leave hardly anything behind, all that was visible of the head was a faint faint ring or lace around the rim. Thin beads of carbonation rushed to the surface.

Took a few deep whiffs of this but had trouble pulling much of any character off the nose. A faint yeasty or bready scent was detectable.

The taste was really nothing to get excited over, bready yeasty really reminds me of a slightly better version of budwiser, not exactly what you expect when you spend your money on "Victory" if I had wanted a beer with characteristics like this I would have just bought a case of Bud for what I plopped down for a sixer of this.

The mouthfeel was the only thing that really set it apart from a cheap lager. slightly more carbonated and a little more active in the mouth. Water thin yet at times it feels like it is attemping to acheive a more medium body.

Very drinkable in the way any cheap lager is...not something you sit back and savor, but something you drink at a out of control house party...

all in all this is definately not worth the price. Bummer

03-28-2006 03:18:32 | More by DaggerEyes
Amalak

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

I had a 12 oz. bottle of this.
A- It has a straw-yellow color to it. It had a slight bubbly head that dissipated quickly and left no lace.
S- There's a hint of bitter hops there.
T- It's a very dry beer. Too dry, really. Crisp, with a slight bitterness and some wheaty overtones. Not that impressed.

07-20-2009 20:56:38 | More by Amalak
OldFrothingSlosh

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Bright golden-blond color with no head and minimal lacing.

Smell: Grainy and malty with a little citrus in the background.

Taste: Not very appealing to me. The first thing I thought of when I tasted this beer was "Budweiser". Too much of a "grainy" flavor and it lacked substantial sweetness, too.

Mouthfeel: Not a lot to get excited about here. Barely any carbonation to speak of detracts somewhat.

Drinkability: Not a beer that I cared for. I was too reminded of a macro beer. It's interesting to read the other reviews of this beer. Most seem to think that it is a very good example of this beer style. Given that this is the first beer of this style I've reviewed, I am probably not fully appreciating what this beer has to offer, but I just didn't care for it. One positive thing to take away from this is that I like hops (and lots of 'em) in my beer.

01-28-2003 11:07:59 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
mobyfann

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Paid $28 for the mixed case...

The beer pours a slightly hazy light golden base with a medium white head, minimal head retention and a few specs on the glass in the end. The aroma.... what aroma, where are the hops, a very faint smell.

The taste is just average, a little flavor but that is it, very one dimensional and average as a helles. The mouthfeel left a slight dry and harsh touch in the end, it wasn't a particular favorite. Decent drinkability, for a standard beer over Bud I would take it and split a pitcher with someone, but I would rather end with this than start with it.

Final Thought: An average Lager, disappointing coming from Victory.

12-27-2005 00:33:47 | More by mobyfann
TheFightfan1

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden color with white frothy heading. Heading dissolves very quickly. Slowly carbonation bubbles drift upward kind of trippy. Very earthy and nutty smell with a citrus ending. Taste is very dry with alot of carbonation kind of to much, almost unenjoyable. I would call this a light lager that is very carbonated. Leaves no lacing at all. A kind of let down for a highly rated brew.

01-18-2009 19:21:51 | More by TheFightfan1
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

Best before May 1, 2010.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: A starkly clear pale yellow body with tiny bubbles and a generous white head. Nice looking.

Smell: Um, smells a little like adjuncts here. I get some lemon & a grassy feel but can't help but feel the aroma is only a notch higher than a BMC.

Taste: A little better with a strong lemon overtone and some cereal or wheat also. Has a distinct aftertaste, like sulfur. Again, i find it tastes a little better than most macros but still, i kind of expected more.

Mouthfeel: Not too great. While it has a good zest and active carbonation that makes it lively, i find it soapy and not too comfortable in the palate.

Drinkability: Surprisingly a bit of a chore to finish this.

Overall: I'll pass next time. I like this brewery and their offerings but this one is not memorable.

01-16-2010 02:11:46 | More by papat444
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

I'm crazy about most of Victory's offerings so I picked up singles of this and the Whirlwind Wit yesterday...

Pours a surprisingly clear light golden with a nice fluffy head... Lots of carbonation...looks pretty good..

I'm getting lots of sweet light malt and a macro-like corn aroma... Also, some sulfur going on.. Basically, smells beery if you will....hoping for a bit more in this dept...

If I didn't know better, I'd guess this was a macro... Its not bad or anything, but really just sorta average to me... Tastes sorta like a Bud or any of the other big names... Lots of light sweet malt and corn and virtually no hop presence... Again, sorta disappointing...

Overall... A letdown.. I was expecting more of a solid base of malt and hops that never disappoints, like Sam Adams, but this one didn't do it for me...

01-22-2010 14:04:44 | More by Tilley4
vette2006c5r

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Victory Lager poured a bright golden color with almost no head. Even though it was a fresh bottle, it smelt a little skunked, and veery light. It tasted like a traditional lager but very light. The flavors were barley noticable. Overall I was dissapointed with this. The flavors needed to be much stronger, tasted like a watered down sam adams lager, but cost more money. Deffently not the best lager, or the best beer by victory.

07-09-2010 00:00:10 | More by vette2006c5r
GeoffFromSJ

2.98/5  rDev -16.8%

The first two times I had this beer it was directly out of the bottle. The thing that comes to mind is "alright." It could definitely be better. It had a syrupy finish that detracted from the overall taste. The third time, in a glass, I was quite surprised at how light this beer looked. It reminded me of Coors Light. Very unexpected. All in all, not a bad beer. But not a good beer either.

10-04-2003 01:27:00 | More by GeoffFromSJ
mjc410

Vermont

look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into my La Moneuse tulip, which is of course the ideal lager glass...

The head is fizzy and soda like, quickly falling to a glass ring and surface lacing over a very light gold, bubbly body. The nose is of somewhat off-putting grain. Taste is very nice though, a clean, balanced grain/hop combination, very simple. Mouthfeel is spot on, with a thin body and high carbonation. A very easy drinker, but with some significant negatives and no complexity whatsoever.

08-25-2006 00:29:28 | More by mjc410
umtox

2.98/5  rDev -16.8%

A: A very light golden lager with a decent head and lots of carbonation

S: Pungent classic beer smell, a bit yeasty.

T: Crisp, strongly carbonated and a decent aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable, crisp on the palate.

An average lager for a microbrewery, but very drinkable. Definitely would pair well with food.

04-26-2008 05:29:26 | More by umtox
matty

I thought I would give this beer a shot since the brewery is in the Philadelphia vicinity.It is pale yellow and the smell is average.Taste is unremarkable at first but has a nice fresh bread aftertaste.I would recommend this beer to my buddies,it's not great but it's definetly drinkable.

09-20-2007 03:28:16 | More by matty
rhoadsrage

(Served in an American pint glass) best before Mar 19 2010
A- This beer has a crystal clear golden yellow body with a thin white head soon to disappears with tiny bubbles in slow motion. S- This beer has a soft sighty sweet malt with a Munich malt hint and pale malt with some field corn note finish.
T- This beer has a big sulfury hops flavor that grows with a fizzy water taste in the finish.
M- This beer is a light mouthfeel with a big scrubbing fizzy finish.
D- This beer is sulfury and fizzy that covers most of the flavor and aroma except for the watery taste in the finish.

01-14-2010 15:15:24 | More by rhoadsrage
rdub

My first Victory branded beverage. I had high hopes and this one was pretty much average. I was hoping for Munich Helles style flavor but got "basic" out of it. The appearance was golden with a one finger head and a tiny bit of lacing. Smell was balanced as was the taste. Like I said above, Basic. Mouthfeel was right down the middle as was drinkability. Actually drinkability was pretty good and would be good for a rookie to try.

05-23-2010 00:52:22 | More by rdub
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Apperance proposes a dark golden yellow hue with sunset red hints, kind of hazy. Aroma contains nice cookie maltiness, a bit toasty as well, light noble hops and mostly bready. I must say I’m not getting that much though. In mouth, its presence is very mild without too much going on and even a feeling approaching metal in the finish. Body is rather creamy and could use a bit more carbonation I believe. This is miles away from prima pils unfortunately and I really wanted to enjoy it as I felt it was a great day for an helles. Thanks Francis

05-13-2004 05:31:18 | More by Rastacouere
RBorsato

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Tasted on-tap 6/15/05 and 6/22/05 at Mighty Mike's in Sterling, VA.

Had to try twice (a week apart) and verify a few times that this was really a Victory product that I was poured.

Straw colored with a very low white head. Not much of an aroma or flavor ... what is there is very light in the malt dept but not very grainy like I find with most Helles beers. No hops to speak of. Fairly light bodied and weak. I'd almost swear this was a macro.

Not a very good Helles -- a decent All Malt American Lager I guess but not one I'd go back to.

Per Victory website: 4.8% ABV

06-23-2005 17:37:09 | More by RBorsato
dmamiano

West Virginia

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Very, very light yellow with NO head or lacing...bubbles rising quickly to the top looking for an escape. Clean nose with hints of hops and german malts.
Taste is an onlought of carbonation. Hints of sweet gum, fruit mainly banannas and a bitter edge. Light on the feel

10-13-2008 23:37:04 | More by dmamiano
indiapaleale

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

To be honest, I am not entirely sure what to expect from a Munich Helles Lager, should it be super light colore with little head and a grainy nose? Hopefully, cuz thats what is going on here.

Pours a very pale golden, very very clean and clear. Head is less than a quarter inch and goes away quickly.

Smell is very grainy, corny, wheaty and slightly sour/sweet. Nothing too amazing.

Taste is honestly a bit like Welch's grapefruit juice watered down with some corn juice. That is exactly what this tastes like to me. If you gave a VERY, VERY cold bottle of this to me on a HOT, HOT day I think it would be close to perfect but not right now, it lacks a lot of character IMO.

Taste macro-ey and doesn't do much for me...

06-16-2009 01:04:14 | More by indiapaleale
bjoyce12

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

Eh. Nothing special here. Very middle of the road for a lager. I guess you could say this is what a lager should taste like, but there's nothing distinguishable about it. Pours a light golden with good foam. It's very drinkable, yes, but because there's not too much to it. If I'm looking for a quick drink, I'd choose this over a Sprite, but that's about it.

04-07-2008 16:59:46 | More by bjoyce12