Victory Helles Lager - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Formerly Victory Lager
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory Helles Lager Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Taking a step back to the lighter side of beer I picked this one up in a mixed sixer.

This lager pours into my glass a brilliantly clear yellow gold with a thick foamy white head.

The smell is a mellow fresh beer aroma.

The taste of this beer is very smooth and medium bodied with a light but well rounded malt flavor. This is a very well made lighter lager without the watered down character of typical American offerings.

Whenever you are in the mood simple but high quality beer this is it. (505 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

App.:small streams of bubbles coming from the bottom. Light, almost lemon yellow color. Very little head.

Smell: I couldn't really detect much of a smell.

Taste: Fruity and slightly bitter taste. Bread and butter taste reminds me of a Bass. Nice malting. Enjoyable aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation about the mouth. Goes down quite easy.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. (392 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

People have described this as having a very grainy taste, and I'd have to agree. It tastes like corn. Since I'm an American, I guess I don't know what a real lager is supposed to taste like. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. If you can imagine a combination of strong corn and hay flavors, mixed with a traditional lager, you get Victory Lager. It's actually a lot tastier than I just described it.

I think the bottle that I tried was bad, so it's hard to give an objective review of this beer. Even if it were ok, I think I would have gone for Yuengling if I was in a mood for a lager. (600 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

new Helle's style: crystal clear golden with a frothy white head, which settles to a decent collar and does a good job of leaving trails of lace down the glass. lightly toasted sweet malt on the nose with a crisp light aroma of european hops. very clean on the palatte with a light sweetness balanced harmoniously with an assertive yet soft german hop bite. thirst quenching and refreshing, the flavor is there but never in your face. YAWN.

sadly, the new helles style can't hold a candle to the older dortmunder style lager they used to make, which was much bigger in body and flavor. i guess this is meant for more mass appeal, but i wish the old lager wasn't sacraficed for this one. (689 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Nice golden hued beer with a good head of white foam that left just a bit of lace.
Smell was full of toasted malt and nice floral hop aromas. Kind of an earthiness there too.
Sweet malt flavor with a perfect hop balance, some toasted malt character blends into the crisp light hop finish.
Damned tasty beer with a great drinkability, I'm not usually big on lagers, but this one hit the nail on the head. I would drink a lot more of these if I could get them, thanks to NeroFiddled for a sample of a great lager! (515 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light yellow from the bottle with a small lasting head. Smells of sweet malt and grain with a light touch of hops. Taste is rather wonderful light refreshing reminds me of the old days and beer I drank when I was young. It feels great in your mouth smooth and light and a light sweetness! It is Very Refreshing. This is the kind of Beer you can sit down and just drink one after another and just plain enjoy! This is a beer I will drink as long as it is made and I do not mind paying more for as it is truely flavorfull!
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage It s Food! (566 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Pale straw color, with a nice white head. Little lacing, and head could have lingered longer. Similar to the Prima Pils in appearance.

Smell: Slight herbal, noble hop presence with a light malt background.

Taste: Definitely prevalent noble hop flavor (though not as prevalent as prima pils). Malt character could be stronger, and could be sweeter.

Mouthfeel: A bit light on body, too dry for what I wanted from this brew.

Drinkability: Easy drink, not consistent with the excellence of Victory, but I'd definitely have it again, if it was the best alternative around. (591 characters)

Pours a yellow straw color, very clear with a lot of bubbles rising to the surface. Very white foamy head that settles to a thin film within a minute or so.

Has a very subtle sweet malt aroma with some grain and a fair amount of spicy herbal hops in the forefront.

The flavor is very much like the aroma - sweet subtle malt, light bread and cereal grains. There's a mild spicy/herbal hop flavor.

It's light bodied with prickly carbonation. Very clean, crisp with a light dryness.

This is a light, easy drinking beer - really simple and subtle flavors, but satisfying. It would be perfect for a backyard BBQ on a warm afternoon. (631 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -48.9%

Me: pilsner nut. I love and treasure pilsners in the old Czech and Bavarian styles.

I tried Prima Pils given all its good reviews (see my earlier review), found it to be mighty tasty but definitely way off for the true style. In particular, it lacked the smoothness and technical quality of a true pilsner. So, I thought I'd see if Victory found it in their lager.

Nope. This is a skunky, overpale lager. No subtle hops profile, just skank. Malts are nonexistent but what there is . . . skank. I'm willing to write off this review as an old beer, but then . . . why is it that I can still get a really nice Spaten, Urquell, or Czechvar here in the states--granted not totally fresh but not this skank?

I think if we're going to tank imports for lack of freshness (as reviewers here do), then surely we need to do that with the domestics--which have less of an excuse. (871 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a nearly transparent pale straw-yellow, with a small white head that disappears quickly, but continues to leave a gentle lacing. The aroma was fresh and malty (duh). Initially it hit me like most pale lagers do -- kinda' nothin', "fuzzy" carbonation, and very easy drinking -- but the fullness of the malt improves in the aftertaste -- making for a brew that is as easy drinking as any good session brew, but far more satisfying after it goes down. The mouthfeel leaves the palate nicely coated, and the lingering flavor is sweet malt with a bit of spiciness that reminded me of a subtle clove-like flavor. Pale lagers generally don't float my boat, but I wouldn't mind going sailing with this one. (704 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance – Pale golden color, not unlike a macro, slightly more lively looking. Minor carbonation action, very thin head.

Smell – Sweet malts, hard to get too much more. Grains?

Taste – Mild malt flavors. A bit sweet but in a nice way, not sticky. Tastes like a full flavor (euro) macro. Crisp.

Mouthfeel – Light body. Pleasant mouthfeel. Nothing lingers, clean finish.

Drinkability/notes – Probably a nice summer or all night session beer. Maybe a good cross over brew as has been noted, but maybe not enough going on to make converts. (556 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Pours a nice pale golden color with a lilting head that dissipates quickly. The carbonation is right on with this old standby. The smell is malty with a super slight "skunky" scent. The taste is great -- clean, clear but just bold enough to take this a few steps beyond the macro's. The mouthfeel is crisp but doesn't last too long. The drinkability is second to none --- some think this is a little bland but I think it's a perfect representation of a standard, simple, great tasting lager. This is Bud on steriods. I think you could server this to any macro drinker and they'd be pleasantly surprised. This will probably become one of my standard beers. (655 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Eh. Nothing special here. Very middle of the road for a lager. I guess you could say this is what a lager should taste like, but there's nothing distinguishable about it. Pours a light golden with good foam. It's very drinkable, yes, but because there's not too much to it. If I'm looking for a quick drink, I'd choose this over a Sprite, but that's about it. (359 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Beautiful golden color, with a nice white head that quickly dissipates, leaving no lace. A thin head is retained throughout. Nice floral scent, with hints of hay or grass. A crisp, clean taste, with a fuller mouthfeel than one might anticipate from this beer's appearance. Pretty drinkable, but if you're having many different beers in a drinking session, try this one first...it's pretty complex, but can cleanse the palate pretty well, paving the way for others. Victory continues to impress me with their range of great brews. (529 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pours a pale yellow with little to no head or lacing.

S: Not a lot going on, but there is a hint of bread/grain.

T: Pretty simple bready/grainy taste to hit. Very little bit of hops comes through.

D: Certainly drinkable on summer day or possibly as a session if you were into it. (285 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Best by 11/22/2010

A - Very light, straw gold. Light carbonation is visible giving the beer a thin, bright white head. Great clarity. Basically what I'd expect for the style. Unfortunately, in the end it doesn't leave much of a head and doesn't lace in the least.

S - Light grain and bread notes. Flower and lemon notes from the hops. Very clean and seems pretty spot on.

T - Just as good as the smell led me to believe. Victory really hits the mark with its lagers. Follows the nose really well, and it honestly does remind me of Prima Pils a lot. It's more bready, less grainy, and the flavor is a lot more rounded(Prima Pils being sharper in comparison). It has a really nice bitterness and a great flowery, lemony hop profile.

MF - Very nicely carbonated, and there's enough body to make it known but not so much as to make me think I'm drinking say, a bock.

D - It's a very clean, full-flavored helles lager. That alone makes it more drinkable that most other beers. It's very fresh tasting and very good. It's awesome to have such good examples of German styles made a few hours away. (1,095 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Victory Lager pours golden straw-yellow and presents a soft foamy head with little lacing. Slightly sweet, but refreshing. There are notes of controlled malt flavors.

For the novice: If you want an everyday beer that has universal appeal, this is it - PA folks, keep it local!

Personally: A good ol' beer for anytime and most any occasion. (342 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -12.4%

Received in the Victory Sampler case.

Appearance - Pours out a very yellow color, similar to strw, and, I hate to say it, Miller Lite. Some white head that disappears, but leaves some lacing.

Smell - Malty and very light smelling. Not much to write home about here. Some grassy odors.

Taste - Malts come through with a grassy/grainy flavor. Not what I wanted from a Victory brew. Too light and listless. A small hop feel in there.

Mouthfeel - Reminds me of a macro. Easy and not very assuming..

Drinkability - Very drinkable over the long haul, and maybe a good gateway beer for some, but if you are looking for a good Victory offering, this is definitely not what you want. So much better out there from these guys. (731 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%

I don't particularly like the way lagers look in general, but this is standard fare for the style: light, dissipated head that's persistent around the miniscus. Golden, well carbonated, and a touch cloudier than most. Smells malty, crisp, and smooth. From the description on the bottle, which touts German methodology and denounces adjuncts, I get the feeling that this is a return to a simple, basic style, without frills, and it does a damn good job at that. This is like a Budweiser that doesn't taste like shit. Plain but solid. A keg of this wouldn't get any strange looks at a fraternity party, but wouldn't draw the disdain given to macro shit brews. An interesting idea for a beer, and it overcame my usual tendency towards complexity, spice, and obscure tastes. I wouldn't drink it regularly, but I'm impressed. (820 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Golden yellow with plenty of carbonation bubbles that form a egg shell white head. Very thin looking as you can see right through the glass of beer and the carbonation bubbles are very visible. Minimal lace sticks around with lots of carbonation.

A grainy aroma with a scent of grassy hops. Smells crisp and clean.

A light tasting lager that has a great balance of malt, grain, and hops. The malts are slightlty sweet. A great grain hop mix, light lemon, grassy, and earthy. A good tasting crisp beer with a dry finish.

Victory Lager could be a great session beer. A good tasting crisp and clean beer. It's easy to drink with a great balance of flavor, mouthfeel, and this beer tastes good to the end. (730 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

Bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear, bright shining light.

Very clean beery nose.

It's all in there and it is well balanced.

Good!

Clean and crisp.

This is a wonderful beer. Quality with no pretense. Impossible not to find enjoyable. Another homerun for Victory. (270 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

A - a fizzy little head that diminished almost completel, but no worry, the medium bidy on this yellow lager is quie plpeasing. Gets ou ready for ehat you'll imbibe upon soon.

S - light malty and yeasty nose, with the faintest hint of hops.

T - This, IMO is a beer that is style on. It has the deep cellared feel of a cool fermented German lager. A nice rendition of this style, and nothing spectacular or od, just damn solid. I think that is enough. Some beers, if you are not a fan specifically of the type, cannot be spectacular. Reigning champ of this style for me.

M - was nice and wet with a soft carbonation and a cleansing finish, enticing you to get more, but not requiring it out of dryness.

A stronghold of the Victory brand, and a perfect opportunity to start converting macro drinkers. Next stop, a Maibock... (835 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

FULL DISCLAIMER: I am not typically a lager drinker, but these hot summer days make it a lot easier to grab one off the shelf.

No head on this one. It is a cloudy, bright yellow body. A little bit of movement, but not much. Not much aroma either. The yeast produces a bit of floral, earthy aromas but you have to search for it.

A grain/malty flavor on the back of this one, and the herbal flavors of the hops gives it a bit of character.

Overall, nothing here is overpowering. A well balanced and frighteningly easy beer to drink. Load up the cooler with a six pack of these. (580 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Pouring Victory’s All Malt Lager, I am surprised to see that there is a little bit of sediment in a bottle of beer that isn’t bottle conditioned. The head quickly goes from a thick orange-white head to a white coating. While not cloudy per se, it is closer to translucent than transparent. From a distance, I’d swear this is a Helles.

The aroma is most definitely citrusy: lemon peel, to be exact. Bringing the aroma into the mouth, it is fuller than it is crisp. Using just this sense, I’d assume again that this is a Helles.

The first sip is light and malty-sweet with hints of orange peel. The carbonation is about average. This would make it about as crisp as other pale lagers, but the above-average hop presence ramps-up the level of crispness. It’s also smooth and creamy. The multitude of taste sensations here are just amazing for the style. The creaminess wanes as it finishes and winds up almost crisper than the first sips.

Apart from the bold German varieties, I am not a fan of lagers. Victory All Malt Lager has officially changed my stance. It’s easily my favorite pale lager, and ranks up there as a session beer of choice. (1,155 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -61.9%

I was given a few of these at a family dinner over the holidays. This brewery is local, but I've never had this before and was looking forward to it. I popped the cap and poured, and was instantly disappointed. Very little head, and a cheap beer color. The smell wasn't all that pleasing, and the taste was worse. easily the worst microbrew lager I've had. Thank God I didn't have to pay for it. I never will, not when I can buy Yuengling for less and not ever be wishing I didn't. (481 characters)

Victory Helles Lager from Victory Brewing Company