Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Reviews by tlinner:
tlinner

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance - Orangish golden. Fluffy head that dissipates way too quickly and didn't leave behind as much lace as I would have liked.

Smell - Honey, flowers, and the familiar Belgian-style yeast strains

Taste/Mouthfeel - Slightly hoppy, honey, banana, and that familiar Belgian spice. However, this all fades away much too soon. There's not much depth to it.

Drinkability - A good beer that goes down easily. The profile is hardly complex, but friendly. A bit over-hyped, but not a failure.

02-16-2009 19:49:17 | More by tlinner
Skepticalfriend

4.95/5  rDev +34.5%

I don't understand why the bros reviewed this so low. They need to have another.

If you pay really close attention to each sip, the qualities kind of disappear - you have to just drink it and not think too much. You'll realize how good it is. It's got such a nice light (golden?) taste and feel, but it's also rich and flavorful - some spice and floral - especially the afterglow. Sweet the main thing for me. Virtually no hop bitterness.

A - Gorgeous pour.

S - Not strong, but not distracting or bad. I give it a five not because it was a perfect smell, but because for me it's not part of the experience - it's mild/neutral and doesn't detract from the drinking of it.

T - See above.

M - I guess I do like a bit more carbonation, but that's not really the thing with this style right?

O - Again, don't focus on each sip. Just enjoy it.

08-10-2014 03:05:56 | More by Skepticalfriend
oberon

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a nicy deep yellow color with a nice medium rocky head,the aroma was pretty tart and spicey.The taste was pretty cloveywith a malty sweet background,dangerously drinkable,wow.A very good beer from Victory,impressive maltiness in the ending on this one,pretty complex.

07-06-2003 16:21:47 | More by oberon
RoyalT

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance – Amazing bright orange color with a good-sized head.

Smell – Big, serious yeast aromas immediately fill the nose. There’s some wonderful tropical fruit in there to include orange, peaches, melons, and even a dash of coconut juice.

Taste – This one delivers big time. The bready yeast is strong but balanced. The fruity flavors keep things even and the mild alcohol notes remind the drinker of the 9.5 ABV.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and medium to full in the body. This one is thick and chewy. It’s dinner in a glass.

Drinkability – This was ideal. It went down like a true Abbey Tripel. It was exceptionally smooth, energetic, and right on style. Awesome!

Update – I revisited this in 2004 and was even more impressed with the way Victory put this one together. After attending the 2004 Belgian Beer Fest and sampling many American efforts at the style I’ve come to reallly appreciate this offering from the V. I was particularly impressed with the Mouthfeel and am raising that score by 0.5.

10-08-2003 03:26:41 | More by RoyalT
aszatk01

10-06-2013 20:03:01 | More by aszatk01
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

1.95/5  rDev -47%

The multiple taps of Golden Monkey I’ve consumed over the past several weeks in an attempt to understand why so many people enjoy this beer were a complete waste of space in my belly where better beer could have been. Golden Monkey could be appropriately renamed Sugar Monkey. It’s main aroma and flavor is sugar. The yeast works and so does the appearance but other wise I am done trying this beer. The syrupiness churns my stomach. Way, way too much sugar. Blech!

04-26-2006 19:38:16 | More by DaPeculierDane
Hoppin_mad

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

05-03-2014 23:14:00 | More by Hoppin_mad
MadScientist

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Light golden with a excellent clarity. The long lasting off-white head of compact bubbles leaves a some lacing on the glass.

S: Moderate lighter fruit notes of pears and peaches dominate the aroma with a moderately-light pepper and spicey phenols. The hops and alcohol add a light floral element. There is a faint malt softness in background.

T: A harsh bitterness dominates the flavor followed by moderate spice flavors for the first several sips. Without enough malt support for balance the moderately-high bitterness is sort of pithy like a bitter orange rind. There is a faint malt softness and a light floral hop flavor but not much of either. The bitterness lingers long past the dry finish

M: A moderately-light body beer with a moderately-high level of carbonation. There is a bit of warmth from the alcohol, a faint astringency and no creaminess

O: The high level of bitterness from the hops and spices make this tough on every sip and I'm a fan of highly hoped, very bitter IPA. Too bitter is phrase I haven't used until I met the Golden Monkey thought my palate adjusted half way through the bottle.

08-14-2012 01:12:18 | More by MadScientist
Zakk

06-02-2012 23:37:53 | More by Zakk
StoutHearted

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

What to do with a gift certificate to a below-average beer distributer whose best-represented brewery is Victory? Buy Golden Monkey, of course! It's well-named, well, half well-named as it pours a gorgeous golden color. There's little to no head, which doesn't last long anyway and hardly any lace. You're just stuck with the bright gold color, not too shabby. The smell hinted to me of coriander, cloves and orange peel. It had a light, crisp taste but the alcohol soon swept in with a heaviness that weighed on the tounge. This beer cooked- if you're not prepared with water, just one will send you to Buzzville. Other 9+% beers I have had didn't hit me as hard. Usually I prefer beers room temperature, but this one I like cold; it preserves that crisp taste I mentioned earlier and I find that it's easier to distinguish the its earthy tones than when it's warmer. Warm, this beer is like watered-down scotch. The alcohol almost overpowers it.

P.S: I know a guy who can drink a case of this stuff in one sitting. During his lunch break. Proof that aliens do walk among us?

06-23-2006 03:16:28 | More by StoutHearted
ArrogantDeadGuy

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Beautiful maize pours with a fluffy white
head and sparse lacing. A lot of sediment
floating around amongst the bubbles On of
the more active and beautiful beers

S: Smells intensely sweet of alcohol and berries

T: Very sweet as advertised very with a hint of
banana. The flavor is easier to appreciate
by the sip rather than the mouthful

M: Thick and bit syrupy as it runs past the
sides of my tongue. Not as vibrantly
carbonated to the pallet as it is to the eye
A little thick leaving a slight coating on
the tongue

D: Good drink probably better with food but
totally able to stand up without it.

05-16-2009 22:05:15 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
wesbrownyeah

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Victory Golden Monkey Ale... Tripel style at 9.5% alcohol. Nice clean look of bottle style with quad armed monkey and one eye in belly label. Poured into tulip glass from 12oz.

A- Pours a beautiful golden fluid with thick and thin yeast floating suspended animation. Nice fluffy white head stays an inch thick with clinging lacing on rim.

S- Straight up Belgian yeast are upfront with light farmhouse scent appearent. Scents of alcohol are dominate with mild nose of floral hops.

T-M- Taste is heavy alcohol esters and fresh tangy hops in the front. Second is a more pronounced yeasty sweetness that is followed by a thin carbonated yeast mouthfeel. Smooth but bold with heavy alcohol presence and bite from hops. I like this one... but for the style a little off.

D- I'd buy again but with a knowing of the fact i'm buying the alcohol not the style beer.

03-09-2010 22:59:25 | More by wesbrownyeah
GameOfBeers

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

08-18-2014 17:22:46 | More by GameOfBeers
JacobMutberg

10-09-2012 16:22:10 | More by JacobMutberg
SIRIUS2

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Being a fan of Belgian Abbey styles and Trappist Tripels, I was looking forward to trying this one. As I was pouring into a large goblet style glass, the floral aroma hit me quickly with a strong pungeant flare. The initial sip was interesting as it was a little more striking than I was expecting. I tasted the spicy warmth immediately with the hops coming through just afterward. The finish was somewhat dry with lingering hops and spices. The high alcohol level of this ale contributed to the lingering warmth as well.

I know this isn't a true trappist tripel but it seemed a little rough around the edges for me. This is not to say that I didn't enjoy this ale thoroughly but I think there are others in the style that I would pick up first. As for domestic Tripels - I like it.

01-30-2008 01:08:16 | More by SIRIUS2

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

04-20-2014 05:47:29 | More by BubalooBrewMaster
rugbycritic

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

This is the one that put us over the top and into the clouds. This fine American interpretation of the quintessential Belgian abbey style was one of the heaviest hitters in our tasting. Our fine local (Monty's Krown Lounge, Rochester, NY) served up a legendary assortment of Victory selections for us, and they were all wonderful.

The color was a spot on deep gold, little to no aroma, stiff malt backbone with delicately balanced hopping, a bit of cloviness, plus a significant (but not overbearing) alcohol contribution that just made you want to dance. Drink my monkey.

06-02-2003 10:57:49 | More by rugbycritic
Cuvie62

08-07-2013 00:22:13 | More by Cuvie62
skybluewater

Pours a nearly clear gold color. Some lace, but not much. Smells a bit spicy, with a little clove especially. Tastes of orange, with some spiciness, such as clove.

This is a pretty good little beer (although perhaps one best enjoyed infrequently). Very potent, with a warming quality that's perfect on a cold night here in the nation's icebox.

01-17-2005 07:52:08 | More by skybluewater
orbitalr0x

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

The Monkey pours out a cloudy sunshine yellow color with a 1/2" white head. The nose is of honey, some clove and light citrus. The smell is a bit weak IMHO.

The first sip is quite heavy with a blend of citrus fruits, cloves and spices. A unique, refreshing and not overpowering taste here. Fresh honey comes through as well adding to the overall sweetness.

Mouthfeel is think and chewy, even a bit syrupy. The drinkability is pretty good as well. However I don't think I could have more than two of these at a time...flavor wise, for me, this is a brew to enjoy every now and again.

10-18-2004 01:57:25 | More by orbitalr0x
blitz134

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Smallish white head formed over a honey colored body with a slight bit of haze. Head disappeared rapidly to leave nothing on top.

Yeasty, bready, sweet malt aroma dominates the nose. Some lemony citrus aromas come through over some candy sweetness. Light aroma, but well constructed.

Taste is sweet malts with a good kick of spiciness. Light fruit undertones of white grapes. Alcohol presence comes through at the very finish, its light but noticable. Not as much of the typical Belgian flavor that we are all familiar with. I want to give the taste a 4, but something about this doesn't agree with me

Mouthfeel is fairly full and crisp. Not much carbonation. Coats the mouthwell and the flavor lingers for a while. Drinkability seems okay, something about this makes me only want this one for now. Not my favorite triple, but good nonetheless.

07-21-2005 00:59:54 | More by blitz134