Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,699 | Hads: 5,126

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers. (279 characters)

Best beer I've ever had! Great taste, but if you have 2 or more, do not drive! Reasonably priced, I have been drinking it for 9 years now, it is one of the pleasures of life. For the past week it has helped me get over the Philies devastating loss to the Cardinals in the playoffs. It has an abv of 9.5%, the monkey will catch up to you. (337 characters)

Golden Monkey has become one of my favorite beers.

A: Golden in color with bits of yeast floating around. Looks real cool if you hold it up in a bright light.

S: Smells like a great Belgian tripel

T: Very complex taste. Fruity and spicy.

M: Crisp with just the right amount of carbonation

D: Great, not too heavy, so you can have a few.

I really think price/value should be a rating on here. It matters to most people if a beer is affordable. Golden Monkey is a beer that a Belgian lover on a budget will fall in love with. It's 12.99 a six pack which beats the hell out Chimay. Plus they have a high alcohol content which means you only need a couple to get a little buzz. I highly recommend this beer. (710 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +34%

Just out of this world. I like to discribe the taste and aroma, but I can't. It is just out of this world. Victory Brewing does it again. This is a must to beer lovers. I can discribe the feeling you get when drinking this beer. This has to be one of my number one beers to buy. I now have three! (297 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +33.4%

I don't understand why the bros reviewed this so low. They need to have another.

If you pay really close attention to each sip, the qualities kind of disappear - you have to just drink it and not think too much. You'll realize how good it is. It's got such a nice light (golden?) taste and feel, but it's also rich and flavorful - some spice and floral - especially the afterglow. Sweet the main thing for me. Virtually no hop bitterness.

A - Gorgeous pour.

S - Not strong, but not distracting or bad. I give it a five not because it was a perfect smell, but because for me it's not part of the experience - it's mild/neutral and doesn't detract from the drinking of it.

T - See above.

M - I guess I do like a bit more carbonation, but that's not really the thing with this style right?

O - Again, don't focus on each sip. Just enjoy it. (846 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +33.2%

This really surprised me. Terrific flavor that I would not expect from an eastern brew. But, this is from Victory Brewing, fast becoming one of the best breweries in the country and one of my favorites. Keep the surprises coming. (232 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +33.2%

A delicious and surprisingly light beer for the alcohol content. A bit sweet to the taste but doesn't sit hard. Only negative about the beer is the danger of drinking too much too fast, which is hardly a complaint. Overall one of the best bang for your buck beers on the market. (278 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +31.5%

another outstanding offering from the boys at Victory.
pours a hazy yellow golden color with a nice head that diminishes fairly quickly and leaves some lacing as you drink it down.
I wasn't able to pick up much from the scent on this beer for some reason so i wasn't sure what to expect when i tasted it.
taste, banana and spice hit up fron bigtime with a little citrus in the background, very nice and refreshing for a big abv beer
i drank this 6er fairly quick and have since bought more and more. great beer! it would have gotten all 5's but i just wasn;t getting any smell off this one. its just smelled like beer, weird. (629 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +31.3%

Serving Type: Tall Pilsner Glass

I had first had this beer at a local brewfest at our town's baseball field. I remembered liking this brew very much but could not recollect the exact taste as it had been about a year since I had it. I felt it must be revisited.

First Pour this beer is nothing short of gorgeous, great lacing and a very tall head with great retention. Golden cloudy hue with a good stock of bubbles from the bottom.

For aroma, I no sooner had the cap off when i got the full pleasure of this great smelling beer. Very fruity at first with a small amount of hop aroma peeping through.

For taste, nothing short of astronomical. A favorite for me. Lots of flavors all in one, clove, a bit of citrus, and an overall balance that is very uncommon. Finishes clean with a slight hop bitterness at the very end, none overpowering the other.

Overall the guys at Victory hit it out of the park with this one and it is extremely drinkable to have such a high alcohol content. A win win for any purchaser.

Cheers. (1,024 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +29.9%

I remember the first time I ever had the Golden Monkey. I thought it was the worst tasting thing I've ever had. That was when I first started drinking the good beers. I forgot about the Monkey for a few years and just the other day I thought I would give it another chance. Damn Iove high ABV beers. It only takes a few to get the job done. The Monkey is one of my favourite beers now a days. Taste lacks a bit but the smell and color are gorgeous. Thank you Victory!! (468 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +29.9%

Bottle says enjoy by Jan 19 2014. Guessing it was bottled Jan 19 2011.

Appearance: Golden. Hazy from yeast suspension. Long head retention.

Smell: Definitely smells like Belgian yeast. You get those delicious banana/vanilla ester smells.

Taste: Tastes like a spiced Belgian tripel. No off flavors and very drinkable considering the alcohol content.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than the color suggests but this is a stupid category to consider anyway. Has a good microbew mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A sessionable 9.5% abv spiced Belgian. Enough said. Drink responsibly *wink wink*. (574 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +29.4%

I'd like to buy a couple of sixes of this beer and perform my remake of 12 Monkeys. I might wake up after the world's ending to find that animals rule the planet.

It certainly has a high alcohol volume, but that's not a complaint. What I enjoyed is that the alcohol is so well masked by the wonderful flavors. I have yet to have a bad bottle from Victory, and the Monkey is one of my favorites.

Citrusy sweet and malty but also floral. Nice, bright golden color does its name justice. It's so drinkable, with its mildly carbonated mouthfeel, that you can't help but drink a few too many. (595 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

corked and caged bottle poured into the best clean glass available the sam adams lager glass.

A: Pours a golden yellow, 3 finger head good retention and lacing

S: Spicy, i guess grains of paradise, sweet malts, slight honey too
T: Slight spice, great malt sweetness, and good hop bitterness. fruity with a good after taste.

M: Almost chew-able, lightly coating, good carbonation

D: Defiantly a sipping beer (412 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +28.6%

That s a pretty good beer and very true to style in every respect which is good. However, one little difference it is a bit sweeter which is.... a good thing actually. It is a really nice sweet taste of honey, fresh honey that is but it still has some hop bitterness nd strong floral notes. REALLY GOOD. I will have this again soon! (332 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +28.3%

Another winner in the Victory catalog. A delicious strong Belgian style golden. Beautiful cloudy, flocculant appearance. Thems some tasty particles! (151 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This beer! Pours the dankest golden yellow to ever fill a glass. Much like the color of urine when you're extremely dehydrated and perhaps have taken some Aleve or ibuprofen. Following the instructions and giving a vigorous pour to raise a foamy head , the aromas really opened . I also allowed it to slowly warm as I was mopping and bleaching the kitchen floor since my dog has some kind of bladder issues that make her eat dog food that makes her pee more, which is good for her but bad if you happen to have to work all day. One word: linoleum. Linoleum floors everywhere. And the taste is great . Very smooth. (613 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company. Poured from the caged cork bottle into a tulip glass, this beer's head is four fingers thick with lacing, and a body.

Smells like white wine, straight up! Crisp, lively, and delicate. Yet still enough to keep you wanting to experience what this tastes like. Excelsior!

I taste,ding, right answer : that of white wine. But also alongside a fruitier, dare I say apple-like note in the backbone of this drink's malt profile. Can't really detect much hops unless they are playing a part in the wine-esque dryness of this.

This brew's mouthfeel is dry and crisp. Literally no aftertaste or settling on the palate. Very well done here!

Overall, I'll give Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company a 4.75. This would be damned perfect if the wine was a just a hair more profound, but I can certainly dig this. Even though I'm reviewing this in the winter, this brew would really hit the spot on a spring or even summer night. I recommend this beer and will pick it up again. (1,048 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This might be my favorite beer usually available. I've shown it to a couple friends who've had it become one of their go to beers. I literally can not say enough good things about this beer, you just need to go try it for yourself to understand (244 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours a Golden Yellow, bright and clean with a nice creamy head. I'll be honest, I looked at the BA review as I was deciding weather or not I would buy this brew. I am so glad I did. It's heavily carbonated, which I'm personally fine with and heavily acholated. That's not a word but I'm finishing this growler right now, the carbonation I think hides the alcohol well. Also do smell a light Banana flavor, maybe that's where it gets it's name from. A very very bready, Banana bready taste that I really like. Not too sweet per say, I've definitely had sweeter beers so can't complain about that. I love the aftertaste. I think it is really drinkable and will definitely be going so far as to recommending this to all my friends. (729 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +27%

Had this beer on tap during Philly beer week 2010.

Exceptional color and taste. The smell was exceptional. I liked it so much, I had two and tuned my friends with me onto it.

I am going to buy a few cases of this and share with only the friends I like who could savor the flavor and respect the beer. (304 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

We all know that Victory is an undeniably world-class brewery, but I still don't know how they managed Golden Monkey. It runs with Belgium's best and is easily the best tripel I've ever ever had. The Belgian-style taste is taken to a new level by an exceptional fruitiness that I consider to be unequalled by any other Belgian-style beer. Honestly, when it comes to tripels, this is paramount. The strong, alcoholic smell is deceiving compared to the sweet and yeasty taste. This beer has everything Belgium has to offer and more; only the greatest trappists can top this brew. With regard to the Victory brewery, I think Golden Monkey rivals Storm King in terms of general appeal. (681 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have previously had this on tap at Victory's brewpub. The bottled version doesn't appear to drastically differ from the tap version, except that the head was a bit weaker. The beer is a rich, hazy golden color with a bit of a head. The aroma is spicy, floral and fruity. Coriander is the most evident. Wonderful taste and mouthfeel. Complex, yet mellow taste. Alchohol evident, but subtle in taste. I've convinced my local packy to carry this, albeit on a rotating basis. Very much like Duvel. A superb beer! (510 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

Definitely golden, of a yellow hue with touches of orange, and remarkably transparent for a beer with "9.5% ABV" on the label. A very thin white to beige head pours on top and recedes gradually to the rim of the glass. Aroma is of a very sweet malty character with strong cider-like alcohol notes. The initial sip is also a bit cidery, very viscous, smooth, and massively sweet, though subdued slightly by just enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. Finishes very sweet as well, with wonderful hints of fruity spices and hops melding with the lingering sweetness on the tongue as the aftertaste dries just a touch.

With the (deceptively) hefty alcohol level and the pile of residual sweetness, Victory must pack the kettle with sugars for this brew! And the sweet spiciness in the finish makes this massive beer dangerously refreshing! Mmm, danger. (863 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +25.9%

Sit back kiddies and let Ahhdball to you on a journey with the infamous Golden Monkey of lore. Few have heard the name and even less have gazed upon it's hazy gold existence. The cloudy effervescent liquid holds a slight ring above the head of this animal. It's smell is a sweet banana, mango, and apricot which is very hard to miss. The flavors of the sweet malts, more fruits and hints of spices that leave no taste bud untouched. As the flavor leaves and we descend away from the monkey, an oily sticky sweet hint of malts and alcohol is left in the mouth to slowly disappear only to return by drinking another. Come hither children, taste the monkey! (654 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.
A--Uh...Golden. Hazy, perhaps from heavy yeast. Excellent head with very nice lacing. Looks like you'd want an actual Belgian to look.
S--Yeast, clove, banana, spice. There's two tons of stuff going on here.
T--Absolutely awesome. Spice/clove and banana to start. The yeast is fairly prominent, with some citrus and just a little less maltiness than I would prefer. With a little more malt, it could reach perfection.
M--A bit sticky (not that there's anything wrong with that). Decent carbonation. I wouldn't by any means call it "refreshing" or "quenching", but excellent for what it is.
O--I will confess to a prejudice towards Victory, but I believe that is warranted by their excellence. Golden Monkey is my favorite Victory product. This is everything that American craft beers aspire to. It may not be 100% up your alley (as it is mine), but you absolutely have to appreciate the attempt to be perfection. (958 characters)

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company