Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,692 | Hads: 5,094
4.82/5  rDev +29.9%

Bottle says enjoy by Jan 19 2014. Guessing it was bottled Jan 19 2011.

Appearance: Golden. Hazy from yeast suspension. Long head retention.

Smell: Definitely smells like Belgian yeast. You get those delicious banana/vanilla ester smells.

Taste: Tastes like a spiced Belgian tripel. No off flavors and very drinkable considering the alcohol content.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than the color suggests but this is a stupid category to consider anyway. Has a good microbew mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A sessionable 9.5% abv spiced Belgian. Enough said. Drink responsibly *wink wink*. (574 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +29.4%

I'd like to buy a couple of sixes of this beer and perform my remake of 12 Monkeys. I might wake up after the world's ending to find that animals rule the planet.

It certainly has a high alcohol volume, but that's not a complaint. What I enjoyed is that the alcohol is so well masked by the wonderful flavors. I have yet to have a bad bottle from Victory, and the Monkey is one of my favorites.

Citrusy sweet and malty but also floral. Nice, bright golden color does its name justice. It's so drinkable, with its mildly carbonated mouthfeel, that you can't help but drink a few too many. (595 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

corked and caged bottle poured into the best clean glass available the sam adams lager glass.

A: Pours a golden yellow, 3 finger head good retention and lacing

S: Spicy, i guess grains of paradise, sweet malts, slight honey too
T: Slight spice, great malt sweetness, and good hop bitterness. fruity with a good after taste.

M: Almost chew-able, lightly coating, good carbonation

D: Defiantly a sipping beer (412 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +28.6%

That s a pretty good beer and very true to style in every respect which is good. However, one little difference it is a bit sweeter which is.... a good thing actually. It is a really nice sweet taste of honey, fresh honey that is but it still has some hop bitterness nd strong floral notes. REALLY GOOD. I will have this again soon! (332 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +28.3%

Another winner in the Victory catalog. A delicious strong Belgian style golden. Beautiful cloudy, flocculant appearance. Thems some tasty particles! (151 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This beer! Pours the dankest golden yellow to ever fill a glass. Much like the color of urine when you're extremely dehydrated and perhaps have taken some Aleve or ibuprofen. Following the instructions and giving a vigorous pour to raise a foamy head , the aromas really opened . I also allowed it to slowly warm as I was mopping and bleaching the kitchen floor since my dog has some kind of bladder issues that make her eat dog food that makes her pee more, which is good for her but bad if you happen to have to work all day. One word: linoleum. Linoleum floors everywhere. And the taste is great . Very smooth. (613 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company. Poured from the caged cork bottle into a tulip glass, this beer's head is four fingers thick with lacing, and a body.

Smells like white wine, straight up! Crisp, lively, and delicate. Yet still enough to keep you wanting to experience what this tastes like. Excelsior!

I taste,ding, right answer : that of white wine. But also alongside a fruitier, dare I say apple-like note in the backbone of this drink's malt profile. Can't really detect much hops unless they are playing a part in the wine-esque dryness of this.

This brew's mouthfeel is dry and crisp. Literally no aftertaste or settling on the palate. Very well done here!

Overall, I'll give Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company a 4.75. This would be damned perfect if the wine was a just a hair more profound, but I can certainly dig this. Even though I'm reviewing this in the winter, this brew would really hit the spot on a spring or even summer night. I recommend this beer and will pick it up again. (1,048 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This might be my favorite beer usually available. I've shown it to a couple friends who've had it become one of their go to beers. I literally can not say enough good things about this beer, you just need to go try it for yourself to understand (244 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours a Golden Yellow, bright and clean with a nice creamy head. I'll be honest, I looked at the BA review as I was deciding weather or not I would buy this brew. I am so glad I did. It's heavily carbonated, which I'm personally fine with and heavily acholated. That's not a word but I'm finishing this growler right now, the carbonation I think hides the alcohol well. Also do smell a light Banana flavor, maybe that's where it gets it's name from. A very very bready, Banana bready taste that I really like. Not too sweet per say, I've definitely had sweeter beers so can't complain about that. I love the aftertaste. I think it is really drinkable and will definitely be going so far as to recommending this to all my friends. (729 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +27%

Had this beer on tap during Philly beer week 2010.

Exceptional color and taste. The smell was exceptional. I liked it so much, I had two and tuned my friends with me onto it.

I am going to buy a few cases of this and share with only the friends I like who could savor the flavor and respect the beer. (304 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

We all know that Victory is an undeniably world-class brewery, but I still don't know how they managed Golden Monkey. It runs with Belgium's best and is easily the best tripel I've ever ever had. The Belgian-style taste is taken to a new level by an exceptional fruitiness that I consider to be unequalled by any other Belgian-style beer. Honestly, when it comes to tripels, this is paramount. The strong, alcoholic smell is deceiving compared to the sweet and yeasty taste. This beer has everything Belgium has to offer and more; only the greatest trappists can top this brew. With regard to the Victory brewery, I think Golden Monkey rivals Storm King in terms of general appeal. (681 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have previously had this on tap at Victory's brewpub. The bottled version doesn't appear to drastically differ from the tap version, except that the head was a bit weaker. The beer is a rich, hazy golden color with a bit of a head. The aroma is spicy, floral and fruity. Coriander is the most evident. Wonderful taste and mouthfeel. Complex, yet mellow taste. Alchohol evident, but subtle in taste. I've convinced my local packy to carry this, albeit on a rotating basis. Very much like Duvel. A superb beer! (510 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

Definitely golden, of a yellow hue with touches of orange, and remarkably transparent for a beer with "9.5% ABV" on the label. A very thin white to beige head pours on top and recedes gradually to the rim of the glass. Aroma is of a very sweet malty character with strong cider-like alcohol notes. The initial sip is also a bit cidery, very viscous, smooth, and massively sweet, though subdued slightly by just enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. Finishes very sweet as well, with wonderful hints of fruity spices and hops melding with the lingering sweetness on the tongue as the aftertaste dries just a touch.

With the (deceptively) hefty alcohol level and the pile of residual sweetness, Victory must pack the kettle with sugars for this brew! And the sweet spiciness in the finish makes this massive beer dangerously refreshing! Mmm, danger. (863 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +25.9%

Sit back kiddies and let Ahhdball to you on a journey with the infamous Golden Monkey of lore. Few have heard the name and even less have gazed upon it's hazy gold existence. The cloudy effervescent liquid holds a slight ring above the head of this animal. It's smell is a sweet banana, mango, and apricot which is very hard to miss. The flavors of the sweet malts, more fruits and hints of spices that leave no taste bud untouched. As the flavor leaves and we descend away from the monkey, an oily sticky sweet hint of malts and alcohol is left in the mouth to slowly disappear only to return by drinking another. Come hither children, taste the monkey! (654 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.
A--Uh...Golden. Hazy, perhaps from heavy yeast. Excellent head with very nice lacing. Looks like you'd want an actual Belgian to look.
S--Yeast, clove, banana, spice. There's two tons of stuff going on here.
T--Absolutely awesome. Spice/clove and banana to start. The yeast is fairly prominent, with some citrus and just a little less maltiness than I would prefer. With a little more malt, it could reach perfection.
M--A bit sticky (not that there's anything wrong with that). Decent carbonation. I wouldn't by any means call it "refreshing" or "quenching", but excellent for what it is.
O--I will confess to a prejudice towards Victory, but I believe that is warranted by their excellence. Golden Monkey is my favorite Victory product. This is everything that American craft beers aspire to. It may not be 100% up your alley (as it is mine), but you absolutely have to appreciate the attempt to be perfection. (958 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is good beer anyway you look at it and you cant beat the price either!!! the guy at the grocery store reccommended this and i cant stop drinking it!!! six packs cost 11.99 and a tall boy is 6.99 and this kicks in at a heaping 9.5% also oh yeah!!! (251 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +24.8%

Appearance - Dark yellow, good thick 1 inch head. It's an inviting beer to drink.

Smell - Smells toasty.

Taste - Amazing taste, very hoppy and flavorful. Complex mixture of flavor which is amazing.

Mouthfeel - It feels smooth on the mouth, taste again is very bold.
Overall - Very good beer, good ABV, amazing taste. Will definitely have it again. (353 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +24.3%

Excellent Victory brew - an easy "go to". In the glass it is gold with a copper hue. Good quality head with good lacing. Scent is on the mild side but definitely a Belgian style ale. Mouthfeel is fine champagne like carbonation. Flavor is sweet with a significant banana presence, spices and some other mild fruits. (315 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

One of the better Triples on the East Coast. I would not classify this as a Strong Pale Ale. 9.5% alcohol will creep up on you as you enjoy this highly dangerous, drinkable beer. Enjoy slowly if you can as it is very refreshing and seems light, but is not. (256 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +23.7%

The most amazing part of this beer is the smell; almost cinnamon and dry fruit (on a sidenote..my wife has a candle that smells exactly the same..it's called Kitchen Spice). Pours a cloudy golden color.
Tastes spicy (not hot) with a lingering sense of wheat. I enjoyed this beer over a reuben sandwich and it complimented the spicy pastrami very well. (353 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +23.5%

Yellowish orange color with a thick white head.

Smell brings some yeast, fruit, spice, and malt.

Tastes great, nice mixture of malt and fruit. A surprisingly great beer from Victory

Feels very nice, almost perfect carbonation in my book.

I could drink this shit all night, so good.. (286 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: Very bright gold with a two-finger head.

Aroma: Bitter smell right off the bat. Spices and herbal quality shines through.

Taste: Again, bitter taste but also a good balance with a sweet honey-like quality. Favorite part about the taste is the herbal character and bitterness. Great aftertaste compared to other beers of this style. However, does not seem to fit in well with other tripel styles. I still like the taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Very good.

Drinkability: Although it is not as comparable to other tripels, I still enjoy the drinkability of it and the earthy herbal qualities. This is something I would enjoy on a regular basis. (691 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +22.9%

I am now a full fledged Victory fan. I was a little worried about the name and the label, Golden Monkey ? The smell was very strong at the beginning then settled once in the glass. I noticed alot of citrus, fruity, oranges maybe. Poured a nice cloudy golden color. The head was nice a big and melted down the side of the glass, the taste was delicious. Alot of yeast, but very crisp, citrus, slightly sweet, but very drinkable. Unbelievably drinkable. 9.5 % ABV will sneek right by you. I can't wait to have another. (517 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

This brew poured a beautiful cloudy, golden liquid. The aroma while pouring was very fruity. It formed a nice white head, probably half-an-inch thick.

The head quickly dissipated, but left a thin lace on the glass. The word to describe this tripel is "fruity". And I mean that in the best way possible. Any description of the taste of this brew should include the phrases "liquid bread", "yeasty", and "fruity" in it.

The yeast esters, maltiness, and hint of warming alcohol in this brew make this a wonderful example of the tripel style of beer. I will relish finishing off this six pack! What higher praise is there? (624 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours almost the color of a hazy BUD I hate to say.Very little head-nice lacing.Nice malty,sweet aroma-somewhat spicy but not too much.Great flavor I cant say enough about it.Citrusy-almost lemony.Malty with a nice lingering sweetness.Theres definately spices in there but they seem to swirl together with none in particular standing out on its own.Nowhere near as phenolic as some Belgian triples can be.Silky smooth mouthfeel-goes down dangerously easy.A great beer from Victory-most Ive had have been great actually.Nice to see an "American" version of a Belgian classic that is just fantastic. (597 characters)

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company