Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,691 | Hads: 5,089
3.14/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a wide mouth wine glass.

Murky golden yellow body with a small white head.

yeast "Saison" smell to it.

Yeast taste with a hint of orange and some spices in the aftertaste.Its also a bit syrpy

Easy going down and very warming.easy on the carbonation as well.

Good tasting beer,jusy on qualm, its the yeast taste to it,im not fond of it.Other then that its very solid and worth seeking out (414 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -15.4%

Served between fridge and cellar temperature in a Duvel tulip. Bottled on April 17, 2006... this should be drinking well right about now.

Appearance- Pours a clear, "nuclear" gold... I say that because there's an interesting yellow-green thing happening here. The white, two finger head settles to a mess of various sized bubbles that wander aimlessly on the surface. Aside from the quiet stream of fizz lifting from the etched "D" in my glass, this is just average.

Smell- Spices and Belgian hop aromas abound... I get traces of vanilla and coriander amongst some other notes I can't identify. This is smelling more and more like a witbier, with some parallels to Allagash's flagship beer... but without the orange peel. The alcohol is just now rearing its head. After adding the sediment, a fuller richness adds complexity and smooths out the aromas.

Taste- This is going to hurt... Golden Monkey is all about spices and flavor, but it's just too much. Too much bombastic, tongue-lashing flavor. It begins slightly sweet, then it goes deep into the spice cabinet and dumps a few shakes into your mouth... without the little white plastic thingies with the holes so you don't overspice your food. I love tripels, but at 9.5% the alcohol is a detractor. Way overdone spicewise.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- I like the medium, slick carbonation very much... it feels right for this beer. Unfortunately, it doesn't give me more of a reason to go back to the fridge and enjoy another one... drinkability is hindered previously. I would suggest finding the right culinary match for this beer and giving it a chance to shine, because it could use some balancing. (1,664 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

As someone who loves Belgian beers and especially triples this beer is disappointing and problematic.

First we can start with the pour, regardless of what glass I've attempted to use I cannot get a good head out of this beer. The dissipation of the head is also very quick. I'm currently reviewing this in a snifter. The color is also alarmingly lighter in color then most triples. The first tripel I had was La Fin Du Monde and it seduced with its almost sensual orange glow. Golden Monkey however is straw colored, but not in the golden way Belgian pales are. Lacing is actually fair and soapy but still falls short for the style at hand.

You'd normally be aware to decant your beer properly to insure yeast sediment doesn't get in, however its hard to with this beer. Instead you get a very fine hazy sediment.

The typical clove and orange peel aroma is there with and a tad of Belgian yeast funk. The yeast, the spices and alcohol create a spicy aroma but one that clashes. Its almost akin to decomposing fruits.

As and mouth feel this beers a little light in the pants. Body is extremely light and flavors are really subdued. Belgian yeast, alcohol, orange peel and clove take center stage upon first sip and fade quickly to notes of grass and straw that shouldn't be as well as a solvent-like alcohol flavor. Those two flavors take the floor more then the spices and yeast.

Overall this beer tastes like more of an attempt to make a Belgian Strong Pale ale rather then a Tripel. Overall a decent beer but its clearly missing its style and not in experimental way. Just mediocre. In your local bottle shop spring for a 4pk or 750 of LA Fin Du Monde or Chimay. You're likely to find those. (1,700 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Light golden with a excellent clarity. The long lasting off-white head of compact bubbles leaves a some lacing on the glass.

S: Moderate lighter fruit notes of pears and peaches dominate the aroma with a moderately-light pepper and spicey phenols. The hops and alcohol add a light floral element. There is a faint malt softness in background.

T: A harsh bitterness dominates the flavor followed by moderate spice flavors for the first several sips. Without enough malt support for balance the moderately-high bitterness is sort of pithy like a bitter orange rind. There is a faint malt softness and a light floral hop flavor but not much of either. The bitterness lingers long past the dry finish

M: A moderately-light body beer with a moderately-high level of carbonation. There is a bit of warmth from the alcohol, a faint astringency and no creaminess

O: The high level of bitterness from the hops and spices make this tough on every sip and I'm a fan of highly hoped, very bitter IPA. Too bitter is phrase I haven't used until I met the Golden Monkey thought my palate adjusted half way through the bottle. (1,119 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Poured a golden orange with a thin head.

S: Interestingly nothing jumping out at me. Maybe a little sweetnees followed by a touch of alcohol.

T: A little malt, apple and clove.

M: Crisp and dry with a fair amount of bubbling.

D: Not my cup of tea.
Overall this is not one of my favorite styles and not one of my favorites from the style. (344 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

(12 oz, Bottled on 10/23/03) Decanted properly into a standard pint glass, Golden Monkey pours creamy, clear light-orange in color with a one-finger thick white head. I say "decanted properly" because this beer has more yeast sediment than any other beer I've seen, although some bottles have a lot more sediment than others. This bottle has a lot, and I lost nearly 1/5 of the beer to keep the yeast out. Having the yeast there is not bad, but I generally prefer to keep as much of it out of my glass as possible. If you pour the rest in (I won't for this review, though), the liquid becomes cloudier. After a few moments, the yeast spreads evenly throughout the glass and stays practically motionless. If it wasn't so viscous, I'd swear that it looks like beer Jell-O.

In the nose, the aroma is lightly-sweet, with hints of kiwi and Granny Smith apples, and very crisp. Bringing the aroma into the mouth, it becomes fuller with hints of apple pie. It just smells very light and refreshing.

The mouthfeel is richer than the smell implies. It's creamy with very mild carbonation.

What I have noticed in the past is that one bottle of Golden Monkey rarely tastes the same as another. This time is no exception. The first taste is only mildly sweet. Hints of caramel can be detected, as well as some alcohol, though not to the degree that is really in there. The aftertaste is much sweeter, though, with hints of malt and cinnamon bun: a syrupy sweetness. For a beer with so little detectable hops, it goes down WAY too easy, which can be "dangerous" in an extended session. Oddly enough, the carbonation becomes more noticeable towards the finish. A good beer this time.

Previous GM's I've had are super-sweet or citrusy or even pretty mellow. I have had more than my share of GM bottles that I have not enjoyed, though. The only time I've had it taste good consistently was at the brewery itself. (1,901 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

Certainly a belgian style brew but not quite as drinkable as i would have expected. It poured a very hazy light gold color with no lacing and a tiny head. Very small bubbles rising at amazing speed! Unfortunately this smell contained way too much essence of steel reserve which is fuckloads of apples and alcohol. It has sort of a weird cidery taste to it. The taste follows a similar road but the clove at least makes it beliganny. The mouthfeel was fizzy and light. Drinkability low to medium. I still might be able to reccomend this one i just need to have a few more(another day). and Jesuss, let it warm up first. (618 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Huge head, decent retention. Transparent golden color. Nice carbonation is present.

S: Honey malts are dominant followed by some spices. The smell is slightly floral. There is a tiny hint of something... I detect it in all victory beers I have tried... like a candy sweetness which I do not like.

T: Nice sweet malts up front; they are complex and spicy. This is followed by an alcohol kick and a little bitterness at the end. This is decently well balanced. A bit like you are drinking some type of strong nectar.

M: Smooth mouth-feel, but I detest the alcoholic kick at the end. It is quite strong.

D: This is not a session beer. Decent effort, better than the victory beers i have had so far- I must say, I am not a fan of the brewery- there is always a fake/chemical candy sweetness present in their beers... (820 characters)

Bottled on Dec 13 '06.

At 9.5%, I was hoping this would turn out better than it did, but it's not too far off from when I had this fresh (minus the alcohol heat). This particular bottle had zero head, and looked like apple juice. Whiff of fruit, dull dusty bubble gum.

Flavors are alright, ultra sweet juicyfruit gum, drying alcohol in the finish. Body is mellow and carbonation is low. Mild astringency, some floral aspect to the aftertaste. Overall it's not bad, just not something I would return to. (506 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks cookin420 for this one.
Small capped bottle poured into a goblet.

Hazy bright golden brew, very nice color but little head to crown its top, and whatever white head is there disappears in a minute or so; very little lacing for the style.
Aroma is nice, if a bit too sweet to the point of getting annoying over time; fruity, mostly bananas, and candy sugar.
Firm on the palate, it is not nearly as sweet as the nose suggested; although fruity and candy like notes abound, alcohol and a bitter bite come and go to provide some balance. It lacks depth, and over time the sweet stuff just overpowers. I am a big fan of both sweet beers (which this one was not supposed to be)and belgian style ales, unfortunately this one does not please me a lot on either aspect. (771 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance is pretty terrible. The first two I poured out had no head retention at all. I gave the third a fair chance and a different glass. No help at all. It's a golden beer with absolutely no head. Smells like sweet alcohol at first. A second smell gives it a fruitier almost grassy smell which is pretty good. The taste is quite similar to the smell, if perhaps more grassy. Not bad, just not all the hype I've heard about it. It has a nice full body and a hint of alcohol warmth, which is probably the nicest feature of this beer. Nothing would really stop me from drinking this beer, except that it's 10% alcohol and the crappy appearance. (646 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.2%

Whoa this is a big, thick triple. Kind of odd. Pours a brilliant golden color with a medium bubbly head and lots of bubbles rising to the top. Smell is a bit odd, with spices and yeast along with a funk kind of smell that hits after a sec. Taste is really sweet in the malt department. Spices hit, and they seem different that other spices I have experienced in beers. There might have been some pepper and maybe some Belgian candi sugar, but there are other spices in there that I couldn't put my finger on. The spices seem too step too far and mask any delicacies this triple might have. The sweetness from the malts is also overbearing. Gets cloying after a while. The yeast notes toward the finish are the only thing saving this beer but its almost too late. Dont get me wrong, this beer wasn't horrible, im kinda not in the best mood right now and coming from Victory I was expecting more.

still much thanks to felonius phil for the sample (947 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.2%

Hazy effervescent yellow orange, tight white head and great retention. Yeasty sweet with light fruit aromas. Yeasty alcohol and light apricot with a slightly salty/herbal finish. Sharp feel, slightly foamy.

A pretty basic tripel that’s not very easy to drink but okay to sip. Mostly yeast and herbal flavors that mellow a bit to an almost balanced sweetness. (361 characters)

On tap at the Lazy Boy.

A:Cloudy golden color with white head and some lacing.

S: Yeast and hops. Almost smelled more like a wild ale than anything else.

T: Again I got a wild ale vibe here more than a tripel.The yeast is very prominent and it has that funky taste. Very sweet as well.

M: Med body with a slightly syrupy body. Low carbonation but works.

D:Not very drinkable. Between the sweetness and the funk. Could not pick up the ABV though. Much better examples of tripels out there. (493 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Appears a cloudy pale yellow color with a two-finger, bubbly white head. The head sticks around for a bit but doesn't leave much lacing.

The nose is pretty tame. There are notes of yeast, clove, banana and other spices. However, none of this really pops and doesn't impress me too much. The taste is more full, but almost in the wrong way... The yeastiness is so forward that it overpowers everything else and really mutes the other flavors. There is a spicy bite, and some banana at the end, but I'm not overly impressed by this.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a sharp, sharp carbonation bite on the tongue. Leaves a sticky film in your mouth with each sip. Overall, not really impressed. I was hoping for more, but other tripels offer much more and are about as affordable. A decent brew to put down, but not going back for more. (879 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle.

Orangish golden with very spotty lacing.

Smells like sugars and fruity esters covering alcohol.

A bit of banana and plenty of other yeasty soft fruitiness. Very sweet, lots of sugar to mask the high (9.5%) alcohol that becomes cloying quickly.

While this beer feels soft in the mouth, it feels much less substantial than most Belgian tripels I've tried. While this is not one of my favorite styles of beer, this is definately not one of my favorite tripels- probably on the less complex end of the spectrum and I wish it would finish much drier. (571 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Dayton, OH AleFest:This beer formed a small sized ivory head that contained fine sized bubbles that mostly diminished.The body was clear with some fizzy carbonation and the hue was yellow.The nose was lightly malty, light hops, fruity, sweet and some clove detected.The flavor was acidic and bitter tasting along with a smooth, tingly, and light-medium bodied palate. (367 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Pours a dull, gold color with a touch of orange. An off-white head starts thick and bubbly, but shrinks down to a small cap. I dumped the whole bottle, so it's a bit cloudy from the yeast dregs.

Smell: The first thing that hits me in the aroma is a musty smell...gotta love the Belgian yeast! There's a bit of spiciness, as well as a slight, fruity note.

Taste: Starts with that same musty character from the nose. Moves to a balance between spicy and fruity, then goes sour... I think I got a bad bottle...

Mouthfeel: Fairly light body with a nice crisp, dry finish.

Drinkability: I'm not really sure...as I believe I'm drinking a soured bottle. I'll have to see if I can get ahold of another bottle to compare. For now, my numbers stand... (765 characters)

Drank from my Duvel tulip

A - Slight hazy Golden colour with a large bubbled white head that dies quickly to a very thin non lacing film.

S - Sticky candied sugar and some light sweet honey citrus.

T - Up front some mild hop and some spicey notes follow before a sticky sweetness on the bitter finish.

M - Light to medium body with medium carbonation.

O - Not good enough to call an authentic tasting Belgian Tripel. Lacks the complexity of a true tripel. (460 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

It pours a light straw color. Although it has some different charecteristics, this has a very sweet malty flavor to it, and the typical barelywine flavor that masks or mixes the sweetness of malt and alchohol. While the belgian style is not my fav, per say, it has a nice all around charecter, esp if you age it, grad a couple and enjoy your night. (348 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Hazy light golden color, some carbonation, very little retention.

Smell was neutral, somewhat malty or toasty.

Taste- the clove spicey alcohol taste is out of the bottle and on your tongue before you can say golden Monkey.

Mouthfeel-dry and bitter after taste on back of tongue along with the spice effect.

Drinkability- would buy it again, the 9.5 doesn't take much get you comfortable. (395 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -16.7%

Surprisingly clear, I can practically make out the characters on the keys of my keyboard when I look through the glass. Golden/yellow color, as expected. Head is smallish and dissipates quickly.

Some sweet citrus and floral aromas. I detect some herbs as well.

A strong cloves presence from the first sip, definitely a turnoff for me. Orange peel and hoppiness as an afterthought.

Crisp, clean, and refreshing. Great brew for warm weather methinks. The ABV is fairly well hidden and it's quite smooth.

I respect Victory Brewing immensely but unfortunately this beer didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm just not really diggin' the Tripel tonight. I'll re-review if I feel differently next time. (692 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Yellow with golden hues. Awsome head that last a long time.
Nose is ok. Can smell the alcohol some spice and tartness.
Complex taste. First I taste the alcohol. After getting that out of the way I taste some spice. Parsley. Taste a little like a good rum. Nicely bitter at the end.
Feels good in the mouth. Has a bite.
Not very drinkable as it could hide the alcohol better. (378 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Thanks to my Uncle to toss me a bottle as I tried it once and didn't really want to try it again, but since it was free...

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a weak 1-finger white head that fizzes away to almost nothing. Not too impressive, but not terrible.
S- The normal bready/yeasty aroma of a tripel, but then an overly strong fruitiness that's way too much. A strong cherry aroma stands out in the finish of the aroma. A slight pear aroma as well.

T- A very bland taste. Almost as if it was a very watered down La Fin Du Monde. The Tripel flavors are there, but just in theory almost. There's the breadiness and yeastiness, and the fruit flavors are over the top, even though still mild.

MF- A little too thin. OK, maybe really thin. The body's light and the flavors fade of the palate very fast.

Overall, maybe a good introduction to Tripels, but I wouldn't make a judgement on the style with this one beer, which is sad, because Victory makes some outstanding beers. (989 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Clear golden in the tall tulip. Nice foam and plenty of rich carbonation in the mouth. Prickly and a little acidic on the tongue. Interesting aroma of overripe banana and spice cake.

Intense perfume odor and flavor is rather disturbing. So sweet and sugary. Bran muffins. Big spice, like clove and allspice. Not much yeast flavor. Quite sharp, like a hard candy. Very hot with alcohol. All subtlety seems to have been lost here. I think it's a love or hate choice on this one.

From the 12 oz bottle. "Enjoy by Feb 15 2015" according to the label. Sounds optimistic, but maybe it would mellow out a little. (607 characters)

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company