Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,699 | Hads: 5,126
3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Pours a hazy golden, almost peach, color. Thick white head that gives way quickly to sparse lacing.

S - Banana and other fruit esters. Sweet caramel malts. A bit of oily hops.

T - Banana, clove. Alcohol. Sugared fruits. A slight touch of bitterness in the finish.

M - Full.

O - I am a fan of Belgians, including Tripels, and this one is fairly good for what it is--but ONLY for what it is; an affordable domestic attempt at a complex and difficult style. However, it is overly sweet and a little too upfront/top-heavy in flavor. That said, the alcohol warmth is nice. 9.5% abv! (585 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Victory's Golden Monkey 12oz bottle @ 47* into my DFH oversized snifter. Freshness date Nov 12th 2013.

Pours a crystal clear golden/yellow tinge with a 1/2" bubbly white head that dissipate's immediately. Seriously, within 10 seconds.

Smells of typical Belgian bread like yeast with fruit esters like banana, clove, and white grapes. Theres a bit of earthy hops in the mix with a slight spice character. I'm not sure whats going on with the reviewer below me but there is absolutely no "bitter" smell in this brew.

Tastes of the same old so-so American Belgian replica ale. I'd like to point out that this brew is almost exactly on point with a Belgian Pale Ale, (ie. Leffe, Duvel) not a Tripel by far, just a little ramped up on the malt bill. Once again with the review below, there are no bitter or astringent flavors in this brew. If you want to know what bitter is, go grab a Lagunitas Hop-Stoopid, Avery Hog Heaven, or a SN Bigfoot. Typical Banana, spice, and yes we all know, cloves.. This beer lingers on the tongue for a while which is pleasing.

The feel of this brew is clean and crisp, just like a nice bubbly Tripel should be.

Overall this is a decent brew to chill with, but I'll never put up the ungodly high bill ($11.99) for a 6pk of this stuff. Ive had this beer on many occasions, and whenever I see it for $1.79 @ Hop City a bottle I usually pick some up for my wife. Dont get me wrong, I have plenty of high priced bottles in our cellar, but this brew is simply not worth the price tag. Cheers! (1,519 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Honey mustard color with a heavy, frothy white top.
The end yeast barely drips through, leaving a sprinkle of what looks like cinnamon atop a freshly drawn cappuccino.

I smell spiced apricots & pineapple, wrapped inside a light pie crust.

Tastes of sweet fruit preserves & candied ginger. Slippery, with a bit of a hard alcohol burn going down; the carbonation has trouble making an impact. Sweeter & sweeter as it warms, to the point of being too much to differentiate flavors. It coats & chokes. Burps up lovely though. :) (526 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Expected more out of a tripel (one of my favorite varieties)

Poured into a tulip glass. Had a nice gold color, and initial smell was good...

unfortunately beer did not hold up over the entire bottle.

high alcohol negligible... I am sticking with more authentic tripels (271 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

This beer poured a yellowish, cloudy gold color with a nice 1 inch head that lingers throughout. Smell was kind of fruity with a slight whiff of hops. The taste of this beer was way too sweet. I could detect some spicy, clove-like flavors but mostly all I could think about was the sweetness and the alcoholic punch that came with it. There are some much better representations of this style available. I would drink this again, but only if there were no other choices. (469 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a hazy pale yellow, with visible sediment swirling around. I imagine this is an artifact of the bottle conditioning of this beer. Very little head, although to be fair, I gave it a slow pour to avoid pouring the sediment into the glass. States on the bottle that it is best drankby April 9, 2013, so clearly, this has not been sitting around too long.

Has a fruity, yeasty smell, with hints of banana and cloves. Overall, however, the aroma is thin and light.

Has a forward sweet taste, that at te same time is slightly metallic on the tongue - a sharp, somewhat unpleasant taste and feel. Not as smooth or round as some of the other belgian tripels I've had. There's a faint spiciness as it flows across the tongue. Ends with a slight yeast echo.

Mouthfeel is thin and sharp. Not one of the etter feeling beers I've had.

Overall, not terribly drinkable. I've got three more; perhaps I'll use them or cooking. (976 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -18.6%

Appears golden and hazy, but clear enough to see through. Has a decent amount of head, but could use a thicker, creamier lacing.

Belgium esters of banana with wheat phenols and mildly bright hoppiness mix together with a butt-load of alcohol.

The alcohol is not masked well at all. Its sweet and wheaty, but still reminds me of a 'Belgium-light'.

Crispy and thin...not too pleasing. Too bubbly.

Its not too bad. Still there are much better examples of this style of brew, even the American ones kick this beers tail. (528 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -18.6%

On tap at Buffalo Billiard's in Austin.

A: Poured a cloudy, well, golden color with a substantial orange tint to it. The bartender poured it to the line in the Golden Monkey snifter, which looked pathetic because it had only the slightest ring of foam swirls (leaving the headspace mostly empty). Retention was mostly in the donut, which didn't leave any lacing. Kind of a flaccid look for a tripel.

S: Yeast, substantial yeast. Bananas and a dry, earthy hop note.

T: Yeast and earthy hop soup. I was hoping the banana esters and malt would be stepped up a bit, but it's fairly restrained, letting the body roam toward a semi-dry side. Peppery near the finish. This is pretty weak in flavor for a tripel, to be honest.

M: Light-bodied, moderate carbonation (could use quite a bit more). Semi-dry finish. But very well hidden ABV. I was surprised to find out in retrospect that this was nearly 10%.

D: I wasn't too enthusiastic about finishing this, and moved onto something else afterward. Not something I'll have again. (1,030 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -18.9%

Clear golden yellow, bright white head that dwindles to a fild and mild laces. Lots of streaming bubbles.

Aroma is spicy, citrus, bready, with a hint of heat.

Citrus taste, belgo-yeasty, slight sweetness, and a pronounced amount of booze that is somewhat lingering.

Somewhat crisp, but slick in texture, lighter bodied.

The lingering heat and somewhat overall unbalanced features doesn't lend much in the way of drink ability. (433 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -18.9%

Appearance- Like most Belgian Tripel styles it was cloudy yellow gold. I thought it had a wonderful white almost 2 fingers of head with great lace.

Smell-It was spicy and fruity as it should be but bread like tones were a little over powering.

Taste- The taste had a strong alcohol presents but for the most part was fruity and sweet with small spice tones.

Mouthfeel- It has even carbonation. A lot of alcohol warmth. I know this beer has a high ABV but beers of this style are usually smoother.

Drinkability- Not a bad beer to try or have as an evening sipper but there are a lot better Tripels out there. (614 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -18.9%

My first impression on retrying this beer after an I impressive first taste (history: I have grown more fond of Belgians): it's got some alcohol in it. Alcohol with a twinge of metal notes override an okay beer with some banana and date tastes in the background.

A: Cloudy golden color, some retention but minimal lacing;
S: banana and malt nose
T: see above
O: slightly better than I recalled, but not going to opt for another in near future if other options available (which there more than likely will be) (509 characters)

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a goblet. The label describes this as a "Tripel Ale" and an "Ale Brewed With Spices." The purple label has a yellow (golden) monkey with an eye in its stomach, doing the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil gestures. And, apparently, flashing the shocker. Enjoy by Apr 22 11.

Appearance: Well, I guess I had better pour the damn thing, because after popping the cap and writing about the label, foam is creeping out the top of the bottle. Pours with about half a finger of nearly white foam, less than expected from a typical Belgian. This settles quickly into a ring around the glass and some thin islands of foam. The beer itself is a very pale, hazy yellow, with lots of floaties. Some activity.

Smell: Sweet candy sugar aroma with hints of clove and banana. Slight metallic smell.

Taste: Actually bitter upfront, with a tangy sweetness that you feel in the back of the throat. Some spiciness, but not as evident as in the smell. All in all, more bitter than the typical aged hops Belgian I am used to, and lacking some of the character.

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation level, as I would expect for this style. Body is okay, a little watery, but once again, kind of typical of this style.

Drinkability: Having heard so much about Victory in general and this brew in particular, I was expecting something a little more. The flavors don't seem to blend well, and there are several which I would not normally associate with this style. Not bad, but I'll stick to some of the other brewers for Belgian ales. (1,578 characters)

Pours a golden straw color with some haze but for the most part, is oddly pretty clear. Second time I'm having this and I thought I was maybe pouring it wrong the first time but i'm not, this beer just has a giant head (along with victorys storm king, maybe there's something in the yeast out there). The head fades pretty quickly though

Not too much on the nose, some sugared fruits along with dates and figs.

Now on to tasting, had this at a friends house recently on a whim and remembering being decent so lets give it a another go.

Flavors good and mild just as I remember it being making it dangerously drinkable. Lots of dark fruit sweetness but it doesnt linger long at all nor is it over powering, it's nicely balanced. There's a slight alcohol after taste but it's very mild and blends nicely with the very subtle hop presence. There are also some faint tastes of clove and bubblegum if you let the beer warm a little.

Mouthfeel is medium to full and a little grainy but this beer still goes down easy.

Solid. (1,024 characters)

A very average beer that seems to only be popular solely due to its high ratio of alcohol to cost. I would hazard to say that this is the beer equivalent of a fortified wine like night train since it has a distinct booziness that really does not taste like it was naturally produced by the brewing process. I thought I would like this one considering I love a complex high abv beer, but this is simply not good enough to justify grabbing unless your primary consideration is getting as hammered as possible off beer cheaply. This is still worth trying at least once considering its popularity and availability, but I would be willing to bet anyone that has drank a wide range of beers would not consider this one a go to. (721 characters)

The final tasting from the "Taste Victory" mixed 12 pack bottled May 22 '07.

A: golden, cloudy with not much head at all for a tripel

S: spicy, clove and can't quite I.D. maybe butterscotch?

T: spices, little to no hops to speak of

M: full-bodied, malty and dry. alcohol present but wouldn't guess 9.5 ABV. nice carbonation- must be the etched glass

D: yeah I'll drink the others. will I buy again?...????

Poured with vigor. 12 pack box had date of Oct. ?? "07. Bottled on stated at beginning of review.
Decent enough to kick back and sip one. It's how I ended Sundays session. Popped one anew this afternoon for a fresh impression. (651 characters)

Coming off of the 8 pack of Heavyweight brewery's 'Two Druids', I was more prepared on how to drink this purely artisan beer.

It is not really an Abbey Tripel, in my opinion. Those of you who appreciate subtle Tripels will agree - this is a case of the beer taste not meeting the proposed style expectations.

Pours a cloudy, golden color - lighter than expected. Smells of cider and tangy fruits.

The taste varies from sip to sip. Most consistent are the fruits - a delightful blend of apple, pear, and bourbon mix together with a handful of spices I was unable to distinguish. I am very curious to know what spices were used in this artisan beer - the bottle failed to mentin them.

As I felt with similar beers, this is an excellent beer to try - and that is about it. I wouldn't buy more than one of these -but at the same time, I am glad that I tried it. In concept alone, this beer acheives much. (912 characters)

poured into a chimay goblet. pours a hazy almost straw like color with sediment floating around and carbonation streaming from the bottom.smells fairly floral with bready and caramel notes. taste and mouthfeel - fairly medium to full body with some bitter hops up front and bready almost funky maltiness. overall a middle of the road tripel that would be alright for newbies to the style to try, but if you've had any of the belgian ones like westmalle, chmay white, or a ton of others it definently doesn't hold a candle. not half as complex as those. (552 characters)

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Delirium tulip.

A: Pours a light copper color with a substantial creamy white head that goes down rather quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Mostly yeasty with some faint bright fruit notes in the background. Alcohol definitely comes through on this one.

T: Yeasty flavors from start to finish, a bit hard to describe beyond that. Definite booziness on the finish. Not very balanced.

M: Medium-bodied with a prickly mouthfeel. The alcohol dries out your mouth on the finish.

D: This one took me quite a while to finish. It lacks the subtlety of Belgian tripels. (606 characters)

A - Honey yellow, and slightly cloudy, with a small head. Medium carbonation.

S - Sweet sugars, with a mild spiciness, possibly cloves.

T - The alcohol is clear initially with a sweetness that quickly fades, leaving a clinging bitterness. The spiciness from the aroma comes through, with a peppery tang. The aftertaste is bitter, with a slight burn in the back of the throat.

M - Medium bodied but feels like it's trying to be more. The carbonation is well balanced and not too strong.

D - The aftertaste is a bit abrasive for my liking, and the ABV seems to overpower the flavours. I would personally prefer a Belgian tripel. (634 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was hesitant to rate this beer because 1) This is not my favorite style and. 2) I LOVE Victory and I didn't want to say anything bad about their offerings. But I decided to give my 2 cents because I need to catch up! Basically, this beer is overdone. I've told my friends that I think it tastes like mincemeat pie ale. The spices here don't do it for me at all. Yes, the alcohol is BURIED, but the flavor is a turn off for me. (428 characters)

A-a see through copper, with creamy white head. Not really what i expect a tripel to look like, not to exciting.

S-Hints of sweet malt and spices

T-a very powerful beer, strong and bitter with light sweetness

M-very spicy with medium body and medium carbonation

O-Love this style of beer but do not like this rendition. Just doesn't compare to other tripel's. Not bad just not good for this style. (404 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale orange color. Has small, fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves only spotty lacing.

Smell: Has the yeasty smell common to most Belgian-style beers. Also has a considerable amount of spiciness in the nose. It is a little sweet as well with hints of citrus.

Taste: Mildly bitter up front from hops. Develops a spicy, sweet flavor towards the back. It's really heavy on the yeastiness, more so than in other Belgians. All in all, I think the taste falls a bit flat here. It's really one-dimensional and not as full as I'd like.

Mouthfeel: Reasonably full-bodied with a nice carbonated bite to it.

Drinkability: This one I'm not really impressed with. It's a very one-dimensional tripel and, with all the other choices out there, I really can't see myself getting this again. It's not bad, it just doesn't compare well to others of the style. A miss but only slightly... (957 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -19.4%

Victory golden monkey. Dark golden yellow. Thickish head. Excellent lacing. Smell very clean and mild. Taste. Very weizen esque. Typical peppery banana notes. Kind of like la fin du monde light. Not much carbonation. Thick on the tongue. Ends up with a dryness.

a little too sweet in the end. I would much rather have a La fin Du Monde. (343 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours golden. Hazy. Aroma lacking. Taste, lots going on, didn't like the yeast sweetness and undertones of apple.

Mouthfeel thins, which was welcome since I didn't like what it brought to the table upfront. A little expensive and tough to drink to be deemed a drinkable beer. Pass. (283 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fluffy white head that fades quickly.

S: Sweet and spicy aroma with hints of banana.

T: Taste just isn't really there. Flat malt flavor up front fades to a barely noticeable coriander note.

D: This brew just isn't really my thing. Needs a bit more flavor to stand out. (316 characters)

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company