Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
99bottles

3.95/5  rDev +7%

This beer was recently added to the taps at my local bar, and I felt adventurous last evening, so I took a pint of Victory's monkey. Now to preface, this was my first tripel and I may not have the right idea of what one should be, but I will review the beer as a beer, and not as an interpretation of a style. The color is not surprisingly, a bright yellow/golden that is topped by a head of white lace. First smell is of faint alcohol, and fruit. The taste is interesting. There is a certain bit of malt to it, and flavors of clove and light citrus with banana as the most prevalent fruit. The finish is dry and alcoholic, spicy and almost sour. Now, I keep mentioning the alcohol content, but while drinking this it never detracted from the beer. It is very well masked behind a well structured arrangement of sweetness and spice (and everything nice, ha ha). I would certainly try this again, and the style is intriguing to say the least.

07-23-2003 12:43:05 | More by 99bottles
Reux

Rhode Island

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Appearance:
One finger head that quickly dissipated; little to no lacing
Crisp, golden color

Aroma:
Fruity, banana, sweet, perfume-y

Taste:
Very sweet and a bit sour
Banana, alcohol and spice (cinnamon, cardamon and pepper)
Small bitterness in the aftertaste, but not quite enough to balance the beer. The sweetness in the aftertaste can be a bit overwhelming.
Medium-bodied. Really like this beer's mouth feel for a Belgian trip.

This is a good sipping beer that will kick your ass if consumed too quickly or in excess. I enjoyed two over the course of a long summer evening. It was refressing and bursting with complex flavor on the tongue, but the sweet after taste was slightly annoying.

04-05-2010 22:52:52 | More by Reux
righthereisay

3.95/5  rDev +7%

First let me say, I am judging this beer based on expectations (I favor dark beers, so I am not going to compare this to my favorite dark beers). I understand it is a champagne style beer, so I will approach it like that.

A friend of a friend told me this was her favorite beer. So I bought a case. For my safety, I also purchased a case of Penn Dark, in case I do not like the Golden Monkey.

When I got home I read (on beeradvocate) about thr 9.5% ABV. I was dissappointed. However, maybe this will help with $$$ since I only need 2 of these instead of 4 other beers.

The smell was nice. Fruity, as many of the other reviews state. After the 1st drink, it left an aftertaste as if I just drank a sip of Asti Spumonti. Not sure how I feel about that.

Anyways, it is what it is. A fruity, champagne style beer. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I have 23 beers left. I will probably save most of them for the summer. (they say it gets better with age) I could see this as a beer on a hot summer night to help me wind down after a long day of work. Maybe if I needed to throw a beer down real quick to relax, this would be the one. But it just ain't my thing.

After 2 of these, I will switch to regular beer, as I don't want to get totally trashed.

01-10-2009 21:55:50 | More by righthereisay
SwillinBrew

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Poured a hazy sun-burnt lemon rind yellow and amber with a iight head that quickly disolved. It was a strange haze, not cloudy per se but rather bubbles caught in a gelatinous auger. The nose was of a light candy sugar, sweetness, bananas and spice notes.

I detected a Rothchilds butterscotch taste that evolved into bananas and holiday spices that finished on a dry note. Nice and quite yummy. The feel was nice on my palate with a medium/light mouthfeel on nice carbonation. A solid brew.

11-19-2005 06:47:58 | More by SwillinBrew
Ty1erC

*12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: the beer is golden yellow with lots of sediment suspended throughout. it also has lots of head, but it dies off quickly.

s: it smells sweet, flowery, citrusry, spicy...

t: immediately, the beer is sweet and fruity-tasting. the finish is slightly bready and bitter. it's a good combination of a lot of subtle flavors.

m: medium-bodied, a good amount of carbonation.

d: this is incredibly drinkable for a beer with 9.5% abv.

01-08-2011 01:42:29 | More by Ty1erC
BlackBearForge

Bottle: Enjoy by Feb 3, 2013

Golden Monkey pours deep golden yellow with with a big frothy white head with some lacing that does not stick as it falls.

The aroma has fresh lemon and banana with a slightly funky yeasty ester with cloves and just the faintest whiff of alcohol.

The flavor is balanced between a big European pale malt flavor, big banana and clove and a big alcohol presence. Throw in a touch of lemon, rock candy and other spices with a finish that is lingeringly bitter. Alcohol is strong but not hot, being a pleasant warming which doesn't overpower the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium, very carbonated but not overly so.

Golden Monkey is a sipping beer, but it's a good sipping beer. I can feel the alcohol halfway through the glass and the flavors are becoming more complex and integrated as it warms. It has a pleasantly warming character, however I'd be hard pressed to drink more than one in a sitting.

03-27-2010 21:47:17 | More by BlackBearForge
Merkur

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Beer pours a rather clear yellow color with a good amount of white head.

Beer smells very sweet. Almost a bubble gum smell as well as hints of bananna.

Taste follows the nose. Very citrusy and sweet on the initial sip before giving way to some spicy bitterness.

Mouthfell is a bit on the thin side with a good amount of carbonation.

02-19-2012 15:33:20 | More by Merkur
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev +7%

12 oz. brown bottle with bottled on date of Feb 19 04--it's got some time under its belt.

Poured a cloudy dark straw with a white head that quickly dropped to a collar. Lacing was minimal.

Fruity esters, alcohol, bread, and a touch of barnyard funk in the nose. Fruit smells remind me of peach and apricot.

Medium body with a nice creaminess and a mellow carbonation. Powdery yeast seems to be the star of the show. Lightly grainy with a touch of nuttiness and a strong, warming alcohol bite in the finish battles with a nice malt lingering.

Mouthfeel was great, the taste seemed lacking in direction, the alcohol not hidden well. I'm glad the bottle was aged, or I suspect this beer would've been a club-handed brute.

05-13-2005 13:17:16 | More by Shultzerdugen
ujsplace

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Poured from the bottle vigorously into a goblet...

A: Head appeared thick and pillowy, but disappeared fairly quickly leaving behind some pretty decent lacing. Burnt, golden orange in color. Remaining head is thin and whispy, lace remains.

S: Sweet banana, spicy yeast and mild hops and alcohol.

T: Sweet malt, hops, ripe fruits, bananas and maybe some apricot.

M: Light and nicely carbonated...

D: Scary drinkabilty, this is a very good locally brewed triple.

07-18-2009 23:04:54 | More by ujsplace
BeerRun13

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Pours a clear light golden. A small white head that keeps bubbling up from below provides little to no lacing. Still a nice looking beer.
Malty citrus notes and a sort of raisin quality wafts up.
Good beer. A little spicy corriander and citrus.
Medium to full body. Maybe a bit syruppy at first, but the good carbonation cleans it up nicely making for a very pleasant mouthfeel.
A very tasty refreshing Tripel. Not overly spiced. Quite drinkable.

05-24-2006 22:36:08 | More by BeerRun13
bbeerman

3.95/5  rDev +7%

I tried this for the first time because it was 9.0% ABV. Despite the high ABV, it did not disappoint.

I was not overly impressed with the appearance. The beer poured a light golden hue. I was personally hoping for something a little darker.

Smelled above average. A bit sweet as I remember from the first scents. Somewhat inviting.

I was pleased with the taste, especially considering some high alcohol content beers that tend to sacrifice flavor for intoxication (this is certainly not one of those).

The beer was easy on the mouth and very drinkable (again considering the high ABV). I've been able to have two or three in a session and not get terribly intoxicated. I would recommend keeping consumption to one glass per hour, perhaps every 45-50 minutes maximum. Beyond that, who knows what might happen.

Overall a very good, high ABV beer. I've enjoyed a six-pack on multiple occasions.

08-14-2008 07:35:12 | More by bbeerman
ClockworkOrange

3.95/5  rDev +7%

A 750ml corked bottle poured into my Selin's Grove chalice. Bottled on May 12th, 2006. The monkey appears a hazy bright golden straw color with about a finger of quickly fading bone white foam. Aroma consists of bananas, clove, tart green apples, sweet malts. Tastes of toasted wheat bread slathered with orange marmalade, spicy, peppery yeast, mild banana, more sweet than bitter. At over 3 years in the bottle, the alcohol has become quite tamed down. Carbonation is rather high, bubbly, tingling. Crisp and dry with a somewhat oily finish. The monkey shines with a little age on it.

05-27-2009 02:48:17 | More by ClockworkOrange
maddamish

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Golden monkey... You can hang out with me anytime.

Short review here.

Spice, citrus and sugar notes are present here. Goes down very nice and the mouth feel is just about what it should be for a triple. The aftertaste is kind of tangy though and not very enjoyable.

With that being said, this is an above average triple and worth picking up at your local store.

01-11-2006 03:59:22 | More by maddamish
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Golden monkey poured a bright yellow color, with a head that disapated quickly. It smellt of various spices, typical of Belgian Tripels. It had a nice smooth, spicey taste; again typical of a belian tripel. Very easy to drink. Overall I felt this beer was really good. It is a bit lighter and easier to drink then a real belgian tripel.

07-01-2010 00:35:59 | More by vette2006c5r
SolipsismalCat

Poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy golden yellow with lots of bubbles and a one-and-a-half finger, white, foamy head that lasted a couple of minutes and left a nice film. Great lacing.

S: Sweet, Banana, clove, citrus, Belgian yeast.

T: Moderate to high sweetness and light bitterness. Sweet malt and spice. Lacks depth.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Crisp and slightly astringent. Slightly warm going down.

O: Good budget Tripel. Nothing really wrong with it, but not one of the best.

05-31-2013 20:32:55 | More by SolipsismalCat
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Not bad. In the way of tripels, it's pretty "par for the course". The appearance looked nice. About like any other tripel of any decent quality. Slightly pale yellow with a big white foamy head. Nice sticky lacing. Smell is sweet with lots of yeast in there. A bit of alcohol trying to come through as well, as well as the usual banana / clove characteristics. I liken this to a industrial strength hefeweizen. Pleasant taste with a moderate amount of spice. Not too weak, not too powerful. Just right. This is a good tripel. Perhaps even more enjoyable than a few Belgian examples. Something else note worthy about this one, is that just before you're certain that the alcohol is really going to come through and lay siege to your throat, it doesn't, and it's just nice and smooth. Even at 9%+, I feel I could handle 2 of these, perhaps three, in a sitting. Another nice one from Victory.
Ah yes! I nearly forgot...I'd like to thank my dear friend and fellow BA Ding, for affording me the opportunity to sample this fine beer.
Blessed Be
-SS

03-29-2006 03:46:49 | More by SilentSabre
drxandy

750ml corked/caged bottled sept. 17th 2009 to tulip glass

not the first time i've had golden monkey, but the first corked and caged bottle of it i've bought

pours a golden shade with a light tinge of red, creamy white head retains nicely

smells of spicy yeastly goodness, malt

taste is of heavy yeast esters, malt is very dry, light hops in the background have mostly faded out but the bitterness shows a little in the finish, alcohol makes itself known in the finish and the aftertaste as well

mouthfeel is a good weight, alcohol makes it slick and a little hot even with almost a year on it - carbonation is good and perfect for style

drinkability is sneaky, the alcohol doesn't show it's self too much and its quite tasty - a great meal beer

paired it with peppercorn cheddar (if you havent tried a saison or triple with peppercorn'd cheese you owe it to yourself, they pair amazingly), nom nom nom

06-15-2010 01:21:54 | More by drxandy
cartdan

Alabama

Tripel Ale brewed with Spices - 9.5%

This beer pours medium gold in color with a thick white head that dissipates fairly quickly. The aroma is nice - sweet and citrusy with a hint of spice. On first tasting, you get a lot of spice up front - more than I expected, kind of peppery with moderate bitterness. The carbonation level is fairly high in this one. Medium body with a slight creaminess. While drinking you can feel a slight alcohol warmth creeping in, and it finishes fairly dry. You don't feel as though you're drinking a 9.5% ABV beer.

Very nice overall, definitely one to try again, but not in large quantities...

- Dan

07-04-2006 19:42:35 | More by cartdan
burnstar

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Golden Monkey pours a hazy gold color with a nice big head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is very yeasty with hints of citrus. Taste is very sweet and malty with some nice fruit complexities- I detect some banana and apple flavors. There is definitely some alcohol evident here as well. This beer has a great medium to full mouthfell with some very nice carbonation and pleasant dry and warming finish. This one can be a little rough due to the alcohol flavors but it is quite tastey and quite good overall.

10-23-2005 03:42:32 | More by burnstar
oriolesfan4

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +7%

The first Belgian I ever tried.. a pretty good one too. Now that I've had others I see it isn't the best interpretation but it's still very good. Very spicy.. I mean like, super spicy. This will turn off a lot of people but I thought it was a good flavor. The taste did seem to vary by bottle but for the most part it was a flavorful beer that really warmed you up.

10-05-2008 22:39:29 | More by oriolesfan4
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Honey coloured body with lots and lots of yeast suspended in the liquid, and an aggressive carbonation that threatens to bubble over after opening. The aroma is pleasantly fruity, with nice touches of spice, and this is reflected in the flavour. There's something resembling peach and orange, with a pleasant dry malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel with spritzy carbonation. I didn't realise at the time that this was 9.5%, so big kudos to Victory for concealing the alcohol so well.

Thanks to Shawn for sharing!

02-09-2009 14:46:45 | More by bobsy
Brewzzle

Australia

3.95/5  rDev +7%

I really want to like Belgian beers but I am having a hard time getting used to them. This tripel however is going a long way to getting me into the style.

It is a beautiful golden colour with minimal head. The aroma is still very Belgian, kind of the skunky yeast aroma that is a bit of a turn off. However things get better when tasted, it is a warm, full bodied ale, very sweet and tempered with various spices I can't put a name to. The aftertaste has only minimal musty yeast like flavours, more emphasis on the sweetness and alcohol. It is a very soft beer, very mellow.

I really enjoyed this ale. Definitely one for those who think they don't like Belgian beer.

03-07-2003 12:35:24 | More by Brewzzle
Meerkey

3.95/5  rDev +7%

A: Very white, frothy head. Clear, golden, some bubbles.

S: Spices, yeast, and some fruit.

T: Bready yeast. Spicy. Citrusy fruits. Ends grainy.

M: Creamy and carbonated. Refreshing. Very nice.

O: Pretty good beer, I like it. Drinkable; Recommended.

02-06-2012 04:38:22 | More by Meerkey
Radome

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A - Straw to light golden color. Hazy when poured but quickly changes to exceptionally clear. Streams of tiny bubbles rising. Thick white head that lasts. Good Belgian lace.

S - Strong pilsner malt grain mixes with black pepper. Some other spices in the background along with a hint of bubblegum. The finish has assertive hot alcohol. Moderately complex.

T - The overwhelming flavor is cracked black pepper. Grainy malt is underneath. Medium hops bitterness with a grassy flavor.

M - Medium body. Hops bitterness adds to the alcohol burn. Creamy carbonation. Dry finish but the grain note lingers.

O - For me this is a good beer, verging on great. The over-emphasis on black pepper and alcohol heat distract me from the other good qualities. All the aromas and flavors come from the traditional Belgian palette, I just think they could be balanced better.

09-04-2013 04:10:46 | More by Radome
Metalphanatic

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: A Golden ale with white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: pretty fruity. Hints of Banana, orange, and Lemon.

Taste: Fruity at first (banana, orange, and lemon all present) with a somewhat spicy finish (I'm guessing its from cloves). Can be slightly bitter. But overall, I personally think the ABV is masked well.

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, goes down pretty easy at 9.5%

Overall: one of my favorite beers. Not my favorite tripel, but for the cost, it can't be beat.

Serving type: bottle (mostly) I've had it on tap tho and the draught version has more citrus flavor.

03-14-2014 06:02:14 | More by Metalphanatic