Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,716 | Hads: 5,213
3.08/5  rDev -17%

12oz bottle dated almost a year ago..but i figure with the high abv it should be good

appearence is pale yellow with a small white head

smell is...fruity..with banana being the most profound

taste...well not to impressed. the mouthfeel is really smooth but it reminds me too much of a banana beer i had a couple weeks ago. the alcohol isnt very present at all but just the smell alone makes me want to turn back once i start a sip

i guess it doesnt hurt to try but damn, i know ill never buy this again.

3.08/5  rDev -17%

i had an expired one of these in chicago about three years prior, which greatly affected my view of this beer and style. glad i got out of that funk.
pours a clear golden with a one finger white head. not as lively as expected. smells strong of coriander, with backrounds of flora and citrus. the coriander kind of runs a muck over the other pleasant/fainter smells. the taste is heavy. sweet beginning with clove, yeast, and grain. finish is a strong, peppery spice. crisp with high carbonation on the tongue. completely masked alcohol. leaves a bit of a grassy taste on the palate. im glad i got to try a nicer version of this brew, but a bit too much coriander, clove, and pepper for me to even enjoy it.

3.07/5  rDev -17.3%

On tap. Pours a very clear gold (who'd have thought?) with a small white head. Smells quite sweet, with notes of citrus and banana, as well as a bit of spicy yeast. Tastes very sugary, with a lot of lemon and other fruit. A bit peppery. Warming finish. Light-medium body. Over the top and too sweet for a tripel.

12 oz bottle

golden yellow ith almost no head.

smell is typical belgian yeasty ester and slightly over-ripe bananas.

Typical run of the mill belgian bready yeast with some banana, clove, and maybe even some strange coriander type spice to it. the finish is slightly peppery with a slight alcohol burn.

medium bodied mouthfeel but not carbonated enough for me.

This was easy to drink but too sweet, likely due to lack of carbonation in part, and I could not drink more than one at a time.

Would not seek this one out again.

3.07/5  rDev -17.3%

Bought this bottle in a mixed 6-pack earlier today and poured it into a bar mug. My first tripel...talk about excitement!

A: Pours a golden color similar to a hefeweizen (though with a little more clarity), with a head that starts off fairly impressively, but fizzles quickly. Little to no lacing.

S: Very hefeweizen-like, with banana and cloves, but it also has coriander and citrus notes, as well.

T: Wow, this tastes like a hefeweizen on steroids (hmm, I'm noticing a trend here...), with the usual flavor of banana and cloves, but with a strong alcoholic bite. As I continued to sip it, the booziness becomes more and more overpowering, to the point where it's almost a chore to finish it, IMO.

M: Well carbonated without going overboard. Very crisp on the palate, like a (you guessed it!) hefeweizen, but the alcohol gives it a dry finish.

O: Eh, can't say I'm a fan. It has its perks, but it's too unbalanced. While I'm glad I tried it, and the price is right for a Tripel ($2.70 for a 12 oz. bottle), it's not something I'd search out in the future.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

A decent triple but not great. Nice cloudy gold-straw color, but poor head retention. A pleasant floral and spicy aroma, and a taste that starts nice but ends up too cloyingly sweet, in my opinion. I've had better triples, and this one is fine and drinkable, maybe just a bit below average.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Drank this straight from the bottle.

Smell was very powerful and almost overwhelming. Taste was very intense and perfume-like. Strong alcohol flavor with intense herbal tones. Too much for my liking. First beer was very strong and potent. After the initial bottle my pallet embraced the beer and I enjoyed it more.

Would like to try this beer on tap, but don't think I will be buying in a store again.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

After waiting a LONG time for Victory beers to come to Texas, I was excited about trying this beer. Quite a disappointment. Sort of the Coors Light of the Tripel world. The beer poured a haze golden. Not much else to talk about. The aroma was muted. The taste was slight. The mouthfeel not impressive. The alcohol gave me a quick buzz but added nothing to taste or mouthfeel. Sorry just not impressed.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

A - Hazy straw yellow with a monsterous foamy white head. Clumps of sediment float in the brew. They are small but easily visible. No lacing.

S - Banana, lemon and allspice. Not too shabby.

T - Citrus (lemon), sweet (fuji) apples, coriander, cloves and white pepper. The aftertaste is mostly sweet and short lived.

M - A little harsh, slightly refreshing, thin bodied.

D - Drinking more than one of this would make me ill. It is a bit too spicy and sweet for sessioning. This is a fairly odd Belgian, but it tastes alright. I've had it before, but it's nothing I'll seek out. I will drink it if available though. Among those beers from breweries that don't specialize in a Belgian style brew, Golden Monkey is an above average Belgian, but when compared to the totality of Belgians, I'd say it is mediocre.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

A - Golden yellow that has a nice haziness to it. Medium sized bright white head with decent retention and lacing.

S - While the smell has all the usual suspects, (i.e. malt, yeast, bananas) it is too boozy. The alcohol smells heavy.

T - My worst fears were realized. It is somewhat sweet upfront, but the alcohol dominates. It pretty much drowns out the other flavors.

M - Light and crisp. High carbonation.

D - Drinkability would have to be low considering the high alcohol taste.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours straw clear with some sediment flecks quickly dissapaiting head, little bit of lacing as it goes down. Taste is banana and kind of a yeast funk and alcohol. Has kind of a homebrew yeast taste. I was hoping for something better from this brewery and style.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Enjoy by Jan 19 2014, we are good to go.

A very soap white head pours out that falls fairly quickly on this beer. This doesn't look that great but at least it looks drinkable, Body is incredibly clear and carbonated, very dark gold color. There is no lacing on the glass and very little retention at all. This sure doesn't look like a Belgian style beer.

There's a small lemon, some faint yeast, but also kind of a weak sense of wetness. This smells more like a weak Belgian pale ale than a tripel. Small hints of heat alcohol as well.

Taste is sharp and carbonated. Ridiculously gassy, so much so that all I can really taste is carbon dioxide. Bitter lemon mixed with gas and boozy alcohol. Some small hints of sweetness on the finish but masked often by carbonation.

For a tripel, I would totally pass on this and have something else instead. Way too wet and carbonated for my tastes and for this style for me.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured a hazy golden/orange with a bright white head, but not long-lasting or very lace-worthy. The smell was blood orange, orange peel, pineapple, lime, and a very dominant alcohol factor. The flavor yielded all of these flavors and then some, but it was all upfront, with very little dissolve, and a very strong alcohol finish. Very imbalanced. The texture was nicely carbonated and medium-bodied, but the combination of super-sweet and strong alcohol essence was not pleasant.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a large white head.

Aroma is bold and strong (which I like), but smelled like sour wheat with floral hops (which I didn't like).

Flavor is not lacking in any respect. Very strong flavors. I found it to contain a very sour wheat flavor. It seemed quite grainy, giving it a harsh aspect. It also tasted boozy, but after finding out the ABV I don't find it out of line.

Mouthful was difficult for me. It was quite thick, and the graininess made me feel like when I'm on the first of a cold and the back of my throat itches. The slight booziness added to the thickness of the beer.

I didn't find this a very drinkable beer. It should be noted that I'm not a fan of most tripels, but I try to keep this in mind when reviewing. The slight booziness, the thickness, the sour wheat, and definitely the graininess really slowed down my enjoyment of this beer. By the end of this beer, however, it started to grow on me. However, not enough to seek it out again. Fans of tripels may have better luck.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

a: hazy gold color, only gives about 1/2in of head that fades quickly into slight lacing with ring around the edge
EDIT: lacing fades quickly leaving nothing but a small ring

s: sweet, spices, fruity, bread

t: starts out sweet with undertones of caramel malt; fades into a more fruity/banana taste into a bitter bready/alcohol finish, banana lingers

m: dry, pretty imposing carbonation, one of the lighter tripels i've had

d: One or two at most.

There is plenty to taste, just not that great of a taste. There are better tripels, but def. worth a try.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a nice deep golden color with a moderate sized head that dissipates, but doesn't completely disappear towards the bottom of the glass.

Smell somewhat reminds me of that Hefewiesse/banana scent, can also smell a touch of the alcohol.

Taste is quite sweet and as in the smell banana is the one flavor that shines through. Some citrus notes as well. Some alcohol bite in the end.

Carbonation dances around the tongue and mouth and stays light.

This beer is drinkable, but after one I'm probably done. Definitely moving on after two. Alcohol shines through and it's a bit sweet for my tastes.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Pours a hazy golden, almost peach, color. Thick white head that gives way quickly to sparse lacing.

S - Banana and other fruit esters. Sweet caramel malts. A bit of oily hops.

T - Banana, clove. Alcohol. Sugared fruits. A slight touch of bitterness in the finish.

M - Full.

O - I am a fan of Belgians, including Tripels, and this one is fairly good for what it is--but ONLY for what it is; an affordable domestic attempt at a complex and difficult style. However, it is overly sweet and a little too upfront/top-heavy in flavor. That said, the alcohol warmth is nice. 9.5% abv!

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Victory's Golden Monkey 12oz bottle @ 47* into my DFH oversized snifter. Freshness date Nov 12th 2013.

Pours a crystal clear golden/yellow tinge with a 1/2" bubbly white head that dissipate's immediately. Seriously, within 10 seconds.

Smells of typical Belgian bread like yeast with fruit esters like banana, clove, and white grapes. Theres a bit of earthy hops in the mix with a slight spice character. I'm not sure whats going on with the reviewer below me but there is absolutely no "bitter" smell in this brew.

Tastes of the same old so-so American Belgian replica ale. I'd like to point out that this brew is almost exactly on point with a Belgian Pale Ale, (ie. Leffe, Duvel) not a Tripel by far, just a little ramped up on the malt bill. Once again with the review below, there are no bitter or astringent flavors in this brew. If you want to know what bitter is, go grab a Lagunitas Hop-Stoopid, Avery Hog Heaven, or a SN Bigfoot. Typical Banana, spice, and yes we all know, cloves.. This beer lingers on the tongue for a while which is pleasing.

The feel of this brew is clean and crisp, just like a nice bubbly Tripel should be.

Overall this is a decent brew to chill with, but I'll never put up the ungodly high bill ($11.99) for a 6pk of this stuff. Ive had this beer on many occasions, and whenever I see it for $1.79 @ Hop City a bottle I usually pick some up for my wife. Dont get me wrong, I have plenty of high priced bottles in our cellar, but this brew is simply not worth the price tag. Cheers!

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Honey mustard color with a heavy, frothy white top.
The end yeast barely drips through, leaving a sprinkle of what looks like cinnamon atop a freshly drawn cappuccino.

I smell spiced apricots & pineapple, wrapped inside a light pie crust.

Tastes of sweet fruit preserves & candied ginger. Slippery, with a bit of a hard alcohol burn going down; the carbonation has trouble making an impact. Sweeter & sweeter as it warms, to the point of being too much to differentiate flavors. It coats & chokes. Burps up lovely though. :)

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Expected more out of a tripel (one of my favorite varieties)

Poured into a tulip glass. Had a nice gold color, and initial smell was good...

unfortunately beer did not hold up over the entire bottle.

high alcohol negligible... I am sticking with more authentic tripels

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

This beer poured a yellowish, cloudy gold color with a nice 1 inch head that lingers throughout. Smell was kind of fruity with a slight whiff of hops. The taste of this beer was way too sweet. I could detect some spicy, clove-like flavors but mostly all I could think about was the sweetness and the alcoholic punch that came with it. There are some much better representations of this style available. I would drink this again, but only if there were no other choices.

3.02/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a hazy pale yellow, with visible sediment swirling around. I imagine this is an artifact of the bottle conditioning of this beer. Very little head, although to be fair, I gave it a slow pour to avoid pouring the sediment into the glass. States on the bottle that it is best drankby April 9, 2013, so clearly, this has not been sitting around too long.

Has a fruity, yeasty smell, with hints of banana and cloves. Overall, however, the aroma is thin and light.

Has a forward sweet taste, that at te same time is slightly metallic on the tongue - a sharp, somewhat unpleasant taste and feel. Not as smooth or round as some of the other belgian tripels I've had. There's a faint spiciness as it flows across the tongue. Ends with a slight yeast echo.

Mouthfeel is thin and sharp. Not one of the etter feeling beers I've had.

Overall, not terribly drinkable. I've got three more; perhaps I'll use them or cooking.

3.02/5  rDev -18.6%

Appears golden and hazy, but clear enough to see through. Has a decent amount of head, but could use a thicker, creamier lacing.

Belgium esters of banana with wheat phenols and mildly bright hoppiness mix together with a butt-load of alcohol.

The alcohol is not masked well at all. Its sweet and wheaty, but still reminds me of a 'Belgium-light'.

Crispy and thin...not too pleasing. Too bubbly.

Its not too bad. Still there are much better examples of this style of brew, even the American ones kick this beers tail.

3.02/5  rDev -18.6%

On tap at Buffalo Billiard's in Austin.

A: Poured a cloudy, well, golden color with a substantial orange tint to it. The bartender poured it to the line in the Golden Monkey snifter, which looked pathetic because it had only the slightest ring of foam swirls (leaving the headspace mostly empty). Retention was mostly in the donut, which didn't leave any lacing. Kind of a flaccid look for a tripel.

S: Yeast, substantial yeast. Bananas and a dry, earthy hop note.

T: Yeast and earthy hop soup. I was hoping the banana esters and malt would be stepped up a bit, but it's fairly restrained, letting the body roam toward a semi-dry side. Peppery near the finish. This is pretty weak in flavor for a tripel, to be honest.

M: Light-bodied, moderate carbonation (could use quite a bit more). Semi-dry finish. But very well hidden ABV. I was surprised to find out in retrospect that this was nearly 10%.

D: I wasn't too enthusiastic about finishing this, and moved onto something else afterward. Not something I'll have again.

3.01/5  rDev -18.9%

Clear golden yellow, bright white head that dwindles to a fild and mild laces. Lots of streaming bubbles.

Aroma is spicy, citrus, bready, with a hint of heat.

Citrus taste, belgo-yeasty, slight sweetness, and a pronounced amount of booze that is somewhat lingering.

Somewhat crisp, but slick in texture, lighter bodied.

The lingering heat and somewhat overall unbalanced features doesn't lend much in the way of drink ability.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company