Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,053 | Reviews: 1,761
4.77/5  rDev +28.9%

That s a pretty good beer and very true to style in every respect which is good. However, one little difference it is a bit sweeter which is.... a good thing actually. It is a really nice sweet taste of honey, fresh honey that is but it still has some hop bitterness nd strong floral notes. REALLY GOOD. I will have this again soon!

4.76/5  rDev +28.6%

Another winner in the Victory catalog. A delicious strong Belgian style golden. Beautiful cloudy, flocculant appearance. Thems some tasty particles!

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

This beer! Pours the dankest golden yellow to ever fill a glass. Much like the color of urine when you're extremely dehydrated and perhaps have taken some Aleve or ibuprofen. Following the instructions and giving a vigorous pour to raise a foamy head , the aromas really opened . I also allowed it to slowly warm as I was mopping and bleaching the kitchen floor since my dog has some kind of bladder issues that make her eat dog food that makes her pee more, which is good for her but bad if you happen to have to work all day. One word: linoleum. Linoleum floors everywhere. And the taste is great . Very smooth.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company. Poured from the caged cork bottle into a tulip glass, this beer's head is four fingers thick with lacing, and a body.

Smells like white wine, straight up! Crisp, lively, and delicate. Yet still enough to keep you wanting to experience what this tastes like. Excelsior!

I taste,ding, right answer : that of white wine. But also alongside a fruitier, dare I say apple-like note in the backbone of this drink's malt profile. Can't really detect much hops unless they are playing a part in the wine-esque dryness of this.

This brew's mouthfeel is dry and crisp. Literally no aftertaste or settling on the palate. Very well done here!

Overall, I'll give Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company a 4.75. This would be damned perfect if the wine was a just a hair more profound, but I can certainly dig this. Even though I'm reviewing this in the winter, this brew would really hit the spot on a spring or even summer night. I recommend this beer and will pick it up again.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

good stuff I highly recommended

Awesome.

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

This might be my favorite beer usually available. I've shown it to a couple friends who've had it become one of their go to beers. I literally can not say enough good things about this beer, you just need to go try it for yourself to understand

4.74/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amazing taste. Don't be intimidated by the ABV as this thing is all flavor. Get it, try it, repeat.

That is all

4.74/5  rDev +28.1%

Pours a Golden Yellow, bright and clean with a nice creamy head. I'll be honest, I looked at the BA review as I was deciding weather or not I would buy this brew. I am so glad I did. It's heavily carbonated, which I'm personally fine with and heavily acholated. That's not a word but I'm finishing this growler right now, the carbonation I think hides the alcohol well. Also do smell a light Banana flavor, maybe that's where it gets it's name from. A very very bready, Banana bready taste that I really like. Not too sweet per say, I've definitely had sweeter beers so can't complain about that. I love the aftertaste. I think it is really drinkable and will definitely be going so far as to recommending this to all my friends.

4.74/5  rDev +28.1%

Reminded me of a true Belgian beer.

4.73/5  rDev +27.8%

Love the combination of spices; usually drink with Indian food or hot wings.

4.71/5  rDev +27.3%

Had this beer on tap during Philly beer week 2010.

Exceptional color and taste. The smell was exceptional. I liked it so much, I had two and tuned my friends with me onto it.

I am going to buy a few cases of this and share with only the friends I like who could savor the flavor and respect the beer.

4.7/5  rDev +27%

We all know that Victory is an undeniably world-class brewery, but I still don't know how they managed Golden Monkey. It runs with Belgium's best and is easily the best tripel I've ever ever had. The Belgian-style taste is taken to a new level by an exceptional fruitiness that I consider to be unequalled by any other Belgian-style beer. Honestly, when it comes to tripels, this is paramount. The strong, alcoholic smell is deceiving compared to the sweet and yeasty taste. This beer has everything Belgium has to offer and more; only the greatest trappists can top this brew. With regard to the Victory brewery, I think Golden Monkey rivals Storm King in terms of general appeal.

4.7/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have previously had this on tap at Victory's brewpub. The bottled version doesn't appear to drastically differ from the tap version, except that the head was a bit weaker. The beer is a rich, hazy golden color with a bit of a head. The aroma is spicy, floral and fruity. Coriander is the most evident. Wonderful taste and mouthfeel. Complex, yet mellow taste. Alchohol evident, but subtle in taste. I've convinced my local packy to carry this, albeit on a rotating basis. Very much like Duvel. A superb beer!

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm usually not much of a tripel guy i stay more on the hoppy side but this beer was delicious

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Definitely golden, of a yellow hue with touches of orange, and remarkably transparent for a beer with "9.5% ABV" on the label. A very thin white to beige head pours on top and recedes gradually to the rim of the glass. Aroma is of a very sweet malty character with strong cider-like alcohol notes. The initial sip is also a bit cidery, very viscous, smooth, and massively sweet, though subdued slightly by just enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. Finishes very sweet as well, with wonderful hints of fruity spices and hops melding with the lingering sweetness on the tongue as the aftertaste dries just a touch.

With the (deceptively) hefty alcohol level and the pile of residual sweetness, Victory must pack the kettle with sugars for this brew! And the sweet spiciness in the finish makes this massive beer dangerously refreshing! Mmm, danger.

4.67/5  rDev +26.2%

Sit back kiddies and let Ahhdball to you on a journey with the infamous Golden Monkey of lore. Few have heard the name and even less have gazed upon it's hazy gold existence. The cloudy effervescent liquid holds a slight ring above the head of this animal. It's smell is a sweet banana, mango, and apricot which is very hard to miss. The flavors of the sweet malts, more fruits and hints of spices that leave no taste bud untouched. As the flavor leaves and we descend away from the monkey, an oily sticky sweet hint of malts and alcohol is left in the mouth to slowly disappear only to return by drinking another. Come hither children, taste the monkey!

4.66/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.
A--Uh...Golden. Hazy, perhaps from heavy yeast. Excellent head with very nice lacing. Looks like you'd want an actual Belgian to look.
S--Yeast, clove, banana, spice. There's two tons of stuff going on here.
T--Absolutely awesome. Spice/clove and banana to start. The yeast is fairly prominent, with some citrus and just a little less maltiness than I would prefer. With a little more malt, it could reach perfection.
M--A bit sticky (not that there's anything wrong with that). Decent carbonation. I wouldn't by any means call it "refreshing" or "quenching", but excellent for what it is.
O--I will confess to a prejudice towards Victory, but I believe that is warranted by their excellence. Golden Monkey is my favorite Victory product. This is everything that American craft beers aspire to. It may not be 100% up your alley (as it is mine), but you absolutely have to appreciate the attempt to be perfection.

4.64/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is good beer anyway you look at it and you cant beat the price either!!! the guy at the grocery store reccommended this and i cant stop drinking it!!! six packs cost 11.99 and a tall boy is 6.99 and this kicks in at a heaping 9.5% also oh yeah!!!

4.63/5  rDev +25.1%

Appearance - Dark yellow, good thick 1 inch head. It's an inviting beer to drink.

Smell - Smells toasty.

Taste - Amazing taste, very hoppy and flavorful. Complex mixture of flavor which is amazing.

Mouthfeel - It feels smooth on the mouth, taste again is very bold.
Overall - Very good beer, good ABV, amazing taste. Will definitely have it again.

4.63/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

By far my favorite beer. Smoothest tripel and at over 9% abv victory really hit a home run with this one

4.62/5  rDev +24.9%

So good, love the spicy after taste.

4.61/5  rDev +24.6%

Excellent Victory brew - an easy "go to". In the glass it is gold with a copper hue. Good quality head with good lacing. Scent is on the mild side but definitely a Belgian style ale. Mouthfeel is fine champagne like carbonation. Flavor is sweet with a significant banana presence, spices and some other mild fruits.

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

One of the better Triples on the East Coast. I would not classify this as a Strong Pale Ale. 9.5% alcohol will creep up on you as you enjoy this highly dangerous, drinkable beer. Enjoy slowly if you can as it is very refreshing and seems light, but is not.

4.59/5  rDev +24.1%

The most amazing part of this beer is the smell; almost cinnamon and dry fruit (on a sidenote..my wife has a candle that smells exactly the same..it's called Kitchen Spice). Pours a cloudy golden color.
Tastes spicy (not hot) with a lingering sense of wheat. I enjoyed this beer over a reuben sandwich and it complimented the spicy pastrami very well.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company