1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,712 | Reviews: 1,593 | Show All Ratings:
ohiohophead

1.2/5  rDev -67.4%

appearance: cloudy with a golden straw color

aroma: Beer has a very uninviting spiced aroma with no noticeable hops. Prior to drinking, I was hoping the aroma wasn't too much of an indicator of flavor. I was wrong.

taste: An overwhelmingly spiced flavor that had hints of banana. Completely horrible taste that was too much to handle

drinkability: Completely undrinkable.

Overall: Horrible. One of the worst beers I have ever consumed. I had to pour the remaining third of the beer down the drain and rinse my repeatedly with the closest beer I could find. I will never buy this one again.

11-15-2008 03:43:18 | More by ohiohophead
Buggabeer

1.4/5  rDev -62%

This was deffinetly not my style. After seeing other reviews I thought this would be a great beer. I was wrong this missed the mark for me on many levels. I thought the smell was not good and the taste was an assult on my taste buds. Again I am only giving my opinion and yes they are like A- holes we all have one and the usually stink. I think I would not like to have another one of these beers again. My friend thinks this beer is great. His taste buds must be off : ) If you are a fan of Trippels you may like this. I haven't gotten to that level yet. However I do like Quads.

10-16-2010 00:12:53 | More by Buggabeer
klmcmachen

1.4/5  rDev -62%

I do enjoy Tripels and other Belgium style beers, but this one was hard to swallow. The appearance was fine, but that is as far as it goes. I had a hard time identifying any of the ingredients, but I did taste fruit and something sour. It had a very strong aftertaste. The aftertaste stays with you even after you drink other beers to cover it up. I would not recommend this Tripel. I would rather drink Schlitz or Olde English. Sorry Victory Brewing, Golden Monkey is not my cup of tea...er...beer.

07-17-2012 21:49:09 | More by klmcmachen
goochpunch

1.43/5  rDev -61.1%

Pours out a hazy golden orange with a thin head that leaves quickly. No lace to speak of. Smells really grainy with a wealth of yeast and booze. Actually, the more I sniff this, the more I realize that this smells like vomit. This is gross. This is really overly sweet with a too strong alcohol presence. This is grainy as all hell. I'd rather some malt liquor. Mouthfeel is sticky and gritty, but not too heavy, thankfully. I would drain pour this, but I just spent all my IRS refund check. Word.

04-14-2006 02:46:26 | More by goochpunch
Hendy011

1.58/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

Hands down the most disgusting beer I've ever tasted. Pours a neon lemon-lime gatorade yellow. Smells like bubble gum. Overwhelmingly strong. Tastes like bubble gum, pine needles, and wood. Way too strongly hopped - not sure if fits the style, but this beer is just gross. Unpalatable even. Read the other reviews to see if it's something you'd like. Mine is biased in the numbers, but I couldn't even finish this one.

02-02-2013 04:15:33 | More by Hendy011
ncbeermonger

1.6/5  rDev -56.5%

not one I will have again, as much as it pains me to say this, I would rather have an over produced American Lager, light Lager or pilsner than the Golden Monkey

It pours well, and is a golden style with some hints of orange

The smell is of wheat, and no obvious hops

The taste is not a pleasant one, I had a couple of more sips just to make sure it was as bad as I had remembered. IT WAS, I am an admitted IPA, and stout fan, this wheat beer is simply not good. I will not buy this beer ever again, but I will be back to Victory for plenty of the Prima Pills, and Hop Devil!

10-25-2008 07:31:46 | More by ncbeermonger
monkeyrotica

1.65/5  rDev -55.2%

Poured thick and golden, little or no carbonation, opaque. No head. Smelled slighlty sweet/sour with hints of citrus. Tasted like the inside of a homeless person's shoe stuffed full of hops and Lemon Pledge. Worst beer I've ever tasted. After forcing that first one down, I just kept it in the fridge and unloaded it on unsuspecting hop fetishists.

11-24-2009 20:16:16 | More by monkeyrotica
bobhits

Kentucky

1.65/5  rDev -55.2%

I feel this beer demands getting to the point so here it is.

Clean and simple. That's really all I need to say but to expand the beer is cloudy and hazy from a lot of yeast. It sadly stops with the good stuff there. The flavor is clean and crisp for the style but I'm not thrilled with it. It is simple, boring, and lacks the nuances or character you'd hop for. What is left is everything boring and well bad with the Belgian yeasts.

Avoid, pass on and if you thought this was a well done review this is the beer for you. If you think I was rushing to put together words to score a crappy beer....well you nailed it. Still this is bad.

08-03-2013 02:56:14 | More by bobhits
sociallooter

South Carolina

1.68/5  rDev -54.3%

I did not think this was a good beer. I read about this beer in a myrtle beach news paper reporting about how craft beer is a "new thing". I still can not figure out how they report crafting beer is a brand new outta the box kinda thing. They recommend beers such as Newcastle and blue moon.(craft beers?) I like both of those beers there almost nostalgic to me growing up. New castle was the first beer I actually bought as a 21 year old in upstate NY.

SO, Golden Monkey. The name sounds cool and the label looked makeshift. i like that kinda thing. Do you remember the labels on old TV sitcoms when they drank beer before widespread sponsorship from major corporations? It made me think of that.(I had a few beers before so I was kinda abstract.If ya know what I mean.) It did not look like a Fancy "Fear and loathing", label on a beer bottle. I poured it into a pint glass. A pretty good head. I was quite dark in the bar so i can"t really describe the color. The smell was bananas strait up bananas!. The Taste was not! it was very bitter, too bitter, way too bitter. I told my girlfriend it was like eating a pound of bananas and swiging orange peel flavored Mr. Boston charcoal filtered vodka. Then puking that all up and the after-taste left in my mouth would have been Golden Monkey. I wanted to buy some Golden Monkey and give it to my friends and pretend it was a quintessential item to my existence. Then see the look on there faces as they coughed up some pure banana bile. I was purely disappointed because that was the only beer in that news paper article the seemed to be intriguing to me. You live and learn. I do not recommend this to beer to most people but i know there are people that think this is the greatest achievement since the cell phone. Hey was was made for Christ sake.

10-06-2009 01:54:09 | More by sociallooter
12owls

1.7/5  rDev -53.8%

poured into a tulipp glass, very light foam, almost no lacing, smell is spicy, yeast with some hints of corriander and subtle hoppyness, taste is a.b.v strong, and it kinda takes away from the whole "triple" effect. it pured into a nice golden un-filtered color. im forced to enjoy triples from belgium only. this didnt really didnt make as a triple in my book. more of a spiced double lager. sorry folks...i didnt want to upset anyone.but i will not recomend this to anyone.

02-07-2012 05:30:38 | More by 12owls
slick0ne

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

One of the worst beers ever made....Way to sweet. More like a first timers beer. Very disappointing. For the price your better off getting a chimay tripple. For the taste... your better off with a bud lite. I like the lable though. Wish it tasted at least as good as it looked.

02-02-2011 00:00:50 | More by slick0ne
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

1.83/5  rDev -50.3%

Poured into a big tulip glass,a light golden color.Not a lot of head just a white covering of foam.Massive amounts of particles floating in the beer, could not even see the carabination.Very cloudy.
The aroma was yeasty,spicey,clovey,some different spices,don't know what they are.
The taste was clovey,yeasty,breaddy,spicey,taste of alcohol.Sour and tart flavor arise at the end.
A medium body,slighly cloying,a prickley alcohol finish.As for drinkabilty,I just couldn't finish this beer. A disappointing beer from
Victory for me,one my favorite breweries.

10-19-2006 03:38:58 | More by jcdiflorio
woodske1

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

This is a B+ on BeerAdvocate? I really don't know how. With beer that has such a high ABV you need to do things to mask the alcohol taste.

This has a strong cutting taste that reminded me of something...something not good. The appearance is actually pretty nice but the party ends there. If you can finish one, there is no way you can finish another...

Cool bottle though.

03-02-2009 21:32:29 | More by woodske1
Boilermaker88

1.95/5  rDev -47%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a 12oz. brown bottle (same as in pic) with a "bottled on" date of 09-09-02 on it. Poured a nice hazy golden color with a foamy, bubbly whitish head and a large column of bubbles rising up from the middle of the glass.
Smell: WTF?! Okay, maybe this is a bad bottle. This had a sour, vinegary aroma overriding the spicy pepper and alcohol notes. Smelled vaguely rotten.
Taste: seriously, what is this? Tastes of red vinegar, pepper and alcohol - a sour, acidic, citrusy melange that was distasteful.
Feel was full, bubbly and dry.
I have to guess this was a bad bottle. If it's not, this would rank as one of the worst I've let past my lips. Lord knows I tried my best but ended up dumping the last 6oz. Golden Monkey's appearance and mouthfeel are quite appealing. However, the slightly rotten sourness leads me to one word: undrinkable. I'm happy I only bought one.

09-08-2003 04:45:32 | More by Boilermaker88
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

1.95/5  rDev -47%

The multiple taps of Golden Monkey I’ve consumed over the past several weeks in an attempt to understand why so many people enjoy this beer were a complete waste of space in my belly where better beer could have been. Golden Monkey could be appropriately renamed Sugar Monkey. It’s main aroma and flavor is sugar. The yeast works and so does the appearance but other wise I am done trying this beer. The syrupiness churns my stomach. Way, way too much sugar. Blech!

04-26-2006 19:38:16 | More by DaPeculierDane
drperm

First, a disclaimer: I LOVE Tripel, as a style. One of my favorites, actually.
Second disclaimer: I was feeling rather generous with these numbers.

A: Looks promising -- hazy apricot with ample foam.
But no, it's all downhill from the looking stage...

S: Nasty. Sulfur to the extreme. What happened here? Underneath the sulfur (no small feat there) I get highly metallic mineral water. The more I smell it, the more I am reminded of gastric acid.

T: Getting past the sulfuric aroma (again, no small feat), I encounter a bouquet of....shellac, second-rate crafts store potpourri, peppercorns, bananas, cotton candy, and bell peppers. Lots of flavours, but unfortunately they're not good ones.

M: All fizz with no roundness or bite, and a sticky sweetness left behind.

D: I wonder if I got a faulty bottle here, but after perusing some of the other reviews, perhaps this is how it is supposed to taste. As it is, I find it hardly fit for human consumption. I usually trust the Victory name to the extreme (Prima Pils, anyone?), but I'm seriously considering a sink-pour, although at this point it would be akin to flushing $2 down the drain.
Not good at all. In the words of the Boys of Python, "This is not a [beer] for drinking. This is a [beer] for putting down and avoiding."

Postscript: the thought occurred to me that allowing the beverage to warm in the glass to cellar/room temp. would help its profile some. It did, to be sure, but unfortunately not enough to inspire me to change my numbers. Or buy this beer ever again: it simply saved it from going down the drain.
If you want a Tripel, get one brewed by monks (Or, at the very least, one that comes from Quebec or Maine). Seriously, the good people at Victory need to add a caveat to the label: "Warning! Do NOT drink this beer directly out of the refrigerator!"

03-05-2010 01:11:47 | More by drperm
rickyleepotts

Arizona

Man, it feels like it’s been forever since we sat down with a beer. I was out of town for a few days last week and this weekend, so that’s partly why. I was out of town on business, but I am back! Back until we leave again next weekend for New York City. Maybe we can find a craft brew from the Big Apple.

Tonight we are drinking a brew from Victory. I didn’t realize they were such a new brewery. I like pretty much everything they produce, and I am sure this won’t be any different. It’s pretty high in alcohol too, and I love the logo! That is one cute monkey. Let’s see what she smells like:

In the Glass: It looks flat, with almost zero head. The tasting notes said it had a fluffy head that stuck to the glass… unless this is really old or something, it’s not got a head at all. I hope it doesn’t taste flat as it looks in the glass. Let’s see what she smells like. (That sounds horrible.)

Nose: It smells like a typical Tripel. I am not a huge fan on Tripels, but I like the high ABV. It has a subtle nose, almost burnt caramel… it hits the nostrils and then is gone just as fast. It’s not a deep seeded, memorable smell by any means. I like everything that Victory produces, so I hope they don’t let me down with the monkey!

Flavor: It starts out weak, but as it moves across the palate it perks up a bit. It slides down the throat with ease, and doesn’t have any carbonation. For a beer that is this big, I am sort of glad that it doesn’t have a lot of carbonation. Toward the back of the palate it almost gets bitter, or dry… something weird, not expected from this brew. But I will agree, it is very drinkable. You would have no idea it was nearly 10% in alcohol.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It hits the front of the tongue, and rushes toward the back of the palate so fast there isn’t time for a mouthfeel. I would say this is the least mouthfeel I have ever had in a beer. If you switch is around in your mouth, to add some forced carbonation, a lot of the flavors really open up. It’s almost a different experience when you do that. But the only reason I figured that out was being bored with it at first.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is weak, and just sits there on the back part of the tongue. I’m telling you though, this beer has nothing to get excited about. Seeing as how I love Victory, I hate to say that… but this beer bores me. The aftertaste, if there is one at all, is not a typical Tripel aftertaste. It’s weak, has some of those burnt caramel notes, and is so weak you almost forget it’s there.

I told you I was going to write in this new style… but I must admit, I had to go back and see the order. I wasn’t sure where we started. Hopefully before long it’s second nature. I wouldn’t order this beer again, but hey… there are 1001 bottles in this project. I can’t like them all!

08-29-2011 02:32:17 | More by rickyleepotts
MeLikeBeer

2.03/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a pale gold color, very large head, at least an inch thick. Sediment all over the bottle and the glass...hmmm, not so sure about this one.
Sweet sugar and banana aromas assault my nostrils. Too sweet! Brain going into sugar shock!
Tastes just as sweet- syrupy with a very intense, warming alcohol feel. Bananas, sugar, honey, sugar, malt flavor, did I mention SUGAR? Too sweet for my liking.
I'm only finishing this for the sake of a proper review. I won't drink it again.

06-15-2006 01:21:53 | More by MeLikeBeer
Rifugium

2.05/5  rDev -44.3%

First had: bottle from Westgate Pub, Havertown, PA

Not a fan of this. It seems more of a "strong blonde ale" if anything, but not really comparable to a good authentic Belgian tripel. I don't like to bad-mouth Victory, but there you have it.

Pours clear golden yellow with a moderate head that typically displays some decent lacing. Vaguely yeasty aroma, banana and cloves, but on the light side. Tastes a bit chemical-y, biscuity, with banana and spice notes, alcohol is not hidden. Medium-bodied, and not too drinkable in my book, though it seems the ladies tend to like it. ?

09-02-2011 00:59:33 | More by Rifugium
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

This is an embarrassing attempt at a Belgian Tripel, laughable. Sweet, sweet bready malts, really sticky, toilet cleaner flavours, one dimentional and boring, i liked the yeast character though, but thats the only positive. The yeast tastes Belgian, but the rest of the beer doesn't, seems a bit out of place to me.

09-18-2003 01:06:20 | More by rastaman
antoines15

Indiana

2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

I'm not even going to break this down. I will admit that I am not super familiar with the belgian tripel style, but I do know when something does not taste good and I don't even want to finish the glass.

It had the typical look of an average tripel, as well as smell, and a good collar and lacing, but that's about it. It tasted awful and got worse with each sip. I thought maybe it needed to warm up a bit, but that didn't help.

Spend the extra few bucks and get yourself a St. Bernardus and enjoy a quality beer, because this one is far from it. Cheers!

03-07-2010 04:28:18 | More by antoines15
CopeTech

2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

Calling this a triple is unfair, it is shallow with none of the subtly of a fully fermented beer.
The appearance is clear and golden, so clear it can't even hold head let alone flavor.
It is almost lager like in its lack of gravitas. I have heard of other beers called girlie beers, this is a virtual beer pretty only for a picture. I wish they delivered more.

02-08-2012 02:03:54 | More by CopeTech
schellsbeer

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Love Victory but not the Golden Monkey.

Picked up in a mixed 6 pack with 5 other Storm King Stouts which I love. Just thought I would try one to refresh my memory....I was correct....I don't like the Golden Monkey.

A - Average at best. Looks like a cloudy Macro beer with not much going for it. Specks of "stuff" floating in the beer...all over it. I know that it is probably yeast but usually settles to the bottom over time after poured. Not this one. Small white head with little lacing.

S - Wild flowers. Earthy. Straw. Tall DRY summer grass. Wheat is very present. Some spices but overall Wheat.

T - Not impressed. Tastes like a strong summer wheat beer that is very high in alcohol. When I think of a wheat beer, I think crisp...thin...refreshing. Not thick and made for winter. Some alcohol burn in the back of the nose. Alcohol is not covered up well in this Tripel.

M - Thicker than I like my golden ales. If this is a golden monkey, he has sure added some extra weight. It should be called the golden "fat" monkey.

D - Very low considering I have all of the other Victory Hop and Stout beers to choose from. Also, with 9.5%, give me an imperial stout any day. No question asked. This review will remind me to always stay away from the fat monkey.

01-28-2009 04:13:38 | More by schellsbeer
Halcyondays

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear golden with a thin white head with good retention, mild lace.

S: Has some interesting yeast esters (heavy pear and yellow apple), but has a faint hint of pickles which was off-putting.

T: Acrid, bitter pepper type spice, bitter melon/hops form the initial attack which was not enjoyable. Some OK fruit notes in the end try to save it, but it's not happening. That minor pickle note is here too.

M: Perfectly fine. Quite smooth, medium/full-bodied with a hint of ethanol.

D: I tried this a few years ago and didn't like it, I thought I'd try it again to see if my tastes have changed since I'm on a Tripel kick as of late. They haven't, I still don't like it. Having Allagash Tripel recently to compare, it's like night and day. I'm still a big fan of Victory, they make great beer across the board, so it's all right to have one stinker.

05-15-2010 04:38:40 | More by Halcyondays
jdbonnette

2.18/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

I gave this beer a number of shots at different points over the last few months. While I love other beers brewed by Victory, this one just does not do it for me. While yes it is high in ABV, the taste just does not really do it for my pallet. I suggest anyone venturing into this beer, but a single or six pack first. I think you will either love it or hate it, and there is really no middle ground.

02-05-2013 22:50:03 | More by jdbonnette