Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
goochpunch

1.43/5  rDev -61.1%

Pours out a hazy golden orange with a thin head that leaves quickly. No lace to speak of. Smells really grainy with a wealth of yeast and booze. Actually, the more I sniff this, the more I realize that this smells like vomit. This is gross. This is really overly sweet with a too strong alcohol presence. This is grainy as all hell. I'd rather some malt liquor. Mouthfeel is sticky and gritty, but not too heavy, thankfully. I would drain pour this, but I just spent all my IRS refund check. Word.

04-14-2006 02:46:26 | More by goochpunch

tatums1984

01-13-2012 08:32:09 | More by tatums1984
Hendy011

1.58/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

Hands down the most disgusting beer I've ever tasted. Pours a neon lemon-lime gatorade yellow. Smells like bubble gum. Overwhelmingly strong. Tastes like bubble gum, pine needles, and wood. Way too strongly hopped - not sure if fits the style, but this beer is just gross. Unpalatable even. Read the other reviews to see if it's something you'd like. Mine is biased in the numbers, but I couldn't even finish this one.

02-02-2013 04:15:33 | More by Hendy011
ncbeermonger

1.6/5  rDev -56.5%

not one I will have again, as much as it pains me to say this, I would rather have an over produced American Lager, light Lager or pilsner than the Golden Monkey

It pours well, and is a golden style with some hints of orange

The smell is of wheat, and no obvious hops

The taste is not a pleasant one, I had a couple of more sips just to make sure it was as bad as I had remembered. IT WAS, I am an admitted IPA, and stout fan, this wheat beer is simply not good. I will not buy this beer ever again, but I will be back to Victory for plenty of the Prima Pills, and Hop Devil!

10-25-2008 07:31:46 | More by ncbeermonger
monkeyrotica

1.65/5  rDev -55.2%

Poured thick and golden, little or no carbonation, opaque. No head. Smelled slighlty sweet/sour with hints of citrus. Tasted like the inside of a homeless person's shoe stuffed full of hops and Lemon Pledge. Worst beer I've ever tasted. After forcing that first one down, I just kept it in the fridge and unloaded it on unsuspecting hop fetishists.

11-24-2009 20:16:16 | More by monkeyrotica
bobhits

Kentucky

1.65/5  rDev -55.2%

I feel this beer demands getting to the point so here it is.

Clean and simple. That's really all I need to say but to expand the beer is cloudy and hazy from a lot of yeast. It sadly stops with the good stuff there. The flavor is clean and crisp for the style but I'm not thrilled with it. It is simple, boring, and lacks the nuances or character you'd hop for. What is left is everything boring and well bad with the Belgian yeasts.

Avoid, pass on and if you thought this was a well done review this is the beer for you. If you think I was rushing to put together words to score a crappy beer....well you nailed it. Still this is bad.

08-03-2013 02:56:14 | More by bobhits
sociallooter

South Carolina

1.68/5  rDev -54.3%

I did not think this was a good beer. I read about this beer in a myrtle beach news paper reporting about how craft beer is a "new thing". I still can not figure out how they report crafting beer is a brand new outta the box kinda thing. They recommend beers such as Newcastle and blue moon.(craft beers?) I like both of those beers there almost nostalgic to me growing up. New castle was the first beer I actually bought as a 21 year old in upstate NY.

SO, Golden Monkey. The name sounds cool and the label looked makeshift. i like that kinda thing. Do you remember the labels on old TV sitcoms when they drank beer before widespread sponsorship from major corporations? It made me think of that.(I had a few beers before so I was kinda abstract.If ya know what I mean.) It did not look like a Fancy "Fear and loathing", label on a beer bottle. I poured it into a pint glass. A pretty good head. I was quite dark in the bar so i can"t really describe the color. The smell was bananas strait up bananas!. The Taste was not! it was very bitter, too bitter, way too bitter. I told my girlfriend it was like eating a pound of bananas and swiging orange peel flavored Mr. Boston charcoal filtered vodka. Then puking that all up and the after-taste left in my mouth would have been Golden Monkey. I wanted to buy some Golden Monkey and give it to my friends and pretend it was a quintessential item to my existence. Then see the look on there faces as they coughed up some pure banana bile. I was purely disappointed because that was the only beer in that news paper article the seemed to be intriguing to me. You live and learn. I do not recommend this to beer to most people but i know there are people that think this is the greatest achievement since the cell phone. Hey was was made for Christ sake.

10-06-2009 01:54:09 | More by sociallooter
12owls

1.7/5  rDev -53.8%

poured into a tulipp glass, very light foam, almost no lacing, smell is spicy, yeast with some hints of corriander and subtle hoppyness, taste is a.b.v strong, and it kinda takes away from the whole "triple" effect. it pured into a nice golden un-filtered color. im forced to enjoy triples from belgium only. this didnt really didnt make as a triple in my book. more of a spiced double lager. sorry folks...i didnt want to upset anyone.but i will not recomend this to anyone.

02-07-2012 05:30:38 | More by 12owls
slick0ne

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

One of the worst beers ever made....Way to sweet. More like a first timers beer. Very disappointing. For the price your better off getting a chimay tripple. For the taste... your better off with a bud lite. I like the lable though. Wish it tasted at least as good as it looked.

02-02-2011 00:00:50 | More by slick0ne

10-11-2013 00:29:51 | More by tmm313
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

1.83/5  rDev -50.3%

Poured into a big tulip glass,a light golden color.Not a lot of head just a white covering of foam.Massive amounts of particles floating in the beer, could not even see the carabination.Very cloudy.
The aroma was yeasty,spicey,clovey,some different spices,don't know what they are.
The taste was clovey,yeasty,breaddy,spicey,taste of alcohol.Sour and tart flavor arise at the end.
A medium body,slighly cloying,a prickley alcohol finish.As for drinkabilty,I just couldn't finish this beer. A disappointing beer from
Victory for me,one my favorite breweries.

10-19-2006 03:38:58 | More by jcdiflorio
woodske1

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

This is a B+ on BeerAdvocate? I really don't know how. With beer that has such a high ABV you need to do things to mask the alcohol taste.

This has a strong cutting taste that reminded me of something...something not good. The appearance is actually pretty nice but the party ends there. If you can finish one, there is no way you can finish another...

Cool bottle though.

03-02-2009 21:32:29 | More by woodske1
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

1.95/5  rDev -47%

The multiple taps of Golden Monkey I’ve consumed over the past several weeks in an attempt to understand why so many people enjoy this beer were a complete waste of space in my belly where better beer could have been. Golden Monkey could be appropriately renamed Sugar Monkey. It’s main aroma and flavor is sugar. The yeast works and so does the appearance but other wise I am done trying this beer. The syrupiness churns my stomach. Way, way too much sugar. Blech!

04-26-2006 19:38:16 | More by DaPeculierDane
Boilermaker88

1.95/5  rDev -47%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a 12oz. brown bottle (same as in pic) with a "bottled on" date of 09-09-02 on it. Poured a nice hazy golden color with a foamy, bubbly whitish head and a large column of bubbles rising up from the middle of the glass.
Smell: WTF?! Okay, maybe this is a bad bottle. This had a sour, vinegary aroma overriding the spicy pepper and alcohol notes. Smelled vaguely rotten.
Taste: seriously, what is this? Tastes of red vinegar, pepper and alcohol - a sour, acidic, citrusy melange that was distasteful.
Feel was full, bubbly and dry.
I have to guess this was a bad bottle. If it's not, this would rank as one of the worst I've let past my lips. Lord knows I tried my best but ended up dumping the last 6oz. Golden Monkey's appearance and mouthfeel are quite appealing. However, the slightly rotten sourness leads me to one word: undrinkable. I'm happy I only bought one.

09-08-2003 04:45:32 | More by Boilermaker88