2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,722 | Reviews: 1,594 | Show All Ratings:
Beaver13

Colorado

2.2/5  rDev -40.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy light gold. It has a very fizzy white head that quickly disappears.

The aroma is vegetal funky yeast. As it warms, some sweet corny malts comes out.

The flavor is heavily sweet, corny malts followed by a little funky, spicy yeast. As it warms, clove, banana and alcohol come out. The mouthfeel is medium to full with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, this is not a very good tripel. It tastes like an amped up macro (malt-liquor-y) with a little spicy yeast funk.

09-27-2006 04:37:04 | More by Beaver13
GreenCard

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

According to the label, it was bottled in May 2003.

Judging by everyone else's reviews, I must be out of my mind. But hear me out...

Appearance: great sparkly golden color, fluffy billowous pure white head, lots of rising bubbles, nice lacing, LOOSE sediment!

Aroma: blooming nose of delicate hops, a touch of orange-blossom honey and malt

Flavor: cushiony malt sweetness takes the lead with a very subtle balance of hops, twinge of orange, sweetness akin to an over-ripe braeburn or fuji apple, finish is sweet with a lingering syrupy quality, beer gets sweeter with every sip until it becomes cloying

Mouthfeel: medium body, tingly but fine carbonation, lots of alcohol warmth with quite a bit of "after-burn" (not a good thing!)

Overall Impression: Damn disappointing. Actually had to dump it. It's too cloyingly sweet and the alcohol afterburn is not pleasant. I dinged it big-time in the Drinkability category for that. Also, the sediment in the bottle was very loose. A big cloud of it stirred up just by taking the bottle out of the fridge. No big deal, just bad form. Victory can do much better than this. Did they forget an addition of bittering hops?

07-29-2003 02:51:14 | More by GreenCard
DogFood11

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

Lacking anything inviting in the apperance it goes down as well below average. Minimal Head and no lacing to speak of combined with a chill hazed meat. Smelled ultra sweet and fruity.

Taste was the best part of this offering although it comes up short with no balance to speak of. This is a punch/juice with carbonation and alcohol added. Reviewing within the style this is the lowest tripel I've had at this point. Carbonation was mellow and did nothing to counter the sweetness. Cotton candy and corn syrup creep into the equation at the end. This is obviously what they were shooting for as Victory is an awesome brewery overall. Just a blip on the radar screen.

Edit: One year later November of 2006 and I still feel the same way if not a bit worse. This beer is so fricking candied sweet even for a triple. Huge alcohol flash and hard to enjoy. I've heard this is better with even more time in the cellar and will hopefully re-review it over the next five years but for now even with a year on it. Avoid.

11-02-2005 05:35:26 | More by DogFood11
WalrusJockey

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

12oz bottle, dated "Jan 07" poured into a Delerium Trimens glass.

Appearance- golden: hazy, cloudy, full of particulate. Head pours weakly, and falls quickly.

Smell- alcohol, yeast, spice and fruit, in that order, to my nose. Very much alcohol and yeast, really.

Taste- sweet, very surprizingly sweet. Malt and fruit flavors join under a broad banner of "sweetness," and after a while are joined by the spices, which eventually become quite strong indeed. Swallow is yeasty, with a slight watery flavor, and the aftertaste is a medicinal alcohol flavor. The flavor profile is much more varied than I expected, based on the nose.

Unquestionably, the taste is better than the smell, but for my money, the flavors are far too segregated, fruit is there and so is spice, but never the twain to meet. This also results in the beer being fairly unbalanced at each flavor-stage. The alcohol flavor is also distractingly strong. I know this is a 9%, but it doesn't hide it well at all, especially not for a beer that has been aged for 25 months. Over-all, the taste isn't *bad,* if I had made this at home I would certainly drink it, but compared to others of the style, it fails to impress.

Mouthfeel- unexpectedly heavy for the style, which combines with incredibly low carbonation, to make a beer which is far heavier on the palate than it really should be.

Drinkability- very low. I bought this as a loose bottle, and I don't plan on following it up with a 6-pack purchase. The NyQuil flavor that builds up over time goes along with the syrupy texture, and the unbalanced-up-front sweetness to make me wonder if a bottle of Tussin wouldn't get the same job done in the same way.

Note- I planned on giving Victory a pass on the carbonation issue, but almost every review on the front page mentioned the light amount of carbonation in their own, fresh bottles. If this had been a side effect of the aging of the beer, I wouldn't have marked down for it, but it seems to be more a side effect of the beer itself. Also, for the record, between my wife and myself, we didn't make it through a full half of the bottle before we DP'd it.

02-11-2009 23:35:47 | More by WalrusJockey
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

I'm gonna say that this one was spoiled from the tap. However, I'll still review it, b/c maybe it's not.

Had this at Falling Rock in Denver. Pours a light golden, clear color. Very small head that didn't stay around long. Not a good start.
The smell of sweet corn calls out DMS spoilage. Some coriander and orange peel, but not much. A flat feel to it, too bad. Nothing else going on with this beer. The DMS is in the nose mostly, some in the taste. I didn't finish this one and left it downstairs.

07-25-2009 09:26:40 | More by Mebuzzard
olympuszymurgus

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

Golden clarity, white foam of ephemerality. Pops loud, pours vigorous. Smells of bananas and clove, esters and spice, sugar and summer. Good. Enjoyable.

Tastes astringent, coriander, orange, esters, table sugar, displeasing. The bitterness is far too high, the astringency offputting. Ugh.

I would not purchase this.

Victory- Really?

11-13-2011 04:34:07 | More by olympuszymurgus
adammills

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

This beer pours a solid golden color with an average head that fades. There is heavy esters wafting from the glass. Very phenolic, with bits of clove and spice, even smells hot. So so. I did not enjoy drinking this beer at all. I finished it because I bought it, which I wont do agian. Rocket fuel abounds in this beer, malt and spice attempt to balance but it comes up short.

08-22-2007 04:25:21 | More by adammills
donkeyrunner

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours translucent gold. Lots of sediment lazily floating around and mutliple pillars of bubbles quickly ascending from bottom to top. Large bubbly white head with great retention and lace aplenty.

Strong apple juice and sparkling cider aroma at first pour. Settles into banana and clove scent.

Jumbled taste of sourdough bread tart versus lemon, banana sweetness all held together under the loving arms of yeasty clove spice. Pleasant alcoholic warming with finish. Mouthfeel is thick but ruined by snappy, abrasive carbonation.

I don't have a problem with the lack of complexity in this beer (relative to other Belgian tripels): I'm ok with a simple tripel. What bugs me is the lack of any real lingering flavors. All the flavors seem to come and go without leaving a lasting imperssion.

02-21-2009 15:51:33 | More by donkeyrunner
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

Alright, folks, I finally did it. Trying a new tripel torments the hell out of me, as its a style I either love or hate entirely, and most tripels ending up lumped into the latter group. I had put off sampling Golden Monkey for as long as possible until yesterday, while at Highlands Grill in Kennesaw, I decided to finally "go for it".

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale golden body with a foamy, white head that went completely flat within a minute or so.

Smell: Spice-driven aromatics, with hints of flowers, mold, bananas, and grains.

Taste: Spicy from the onset, with generous doses of pepper, clove, and corriander. Other weak flavors erratically flash across the tongue: lemon juice, sweetened dough, dusty-dry yeast, and bananas. Lightly bitter finish with just a murmur from the alcohol showing on the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied and watery. Lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: I did not care for this one at all, as its excessive spiciness, as well as its array of weak, uninteresting flavors was a complete turn off for me. Pass.

06-03-2007 19:48:18 | More by ChainGangGuy
DefenCorps

2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

Back when I was a young 'un on this site, the word on the street was that this was a beer that needed a couple of years to come into its own. And so I obliged, stashing two bottled from 12 June 2007, with a note to self to drink one in June 2009. That never came to be, so here I am, August 2010, drinking a tripel brewed with spices.

Pouring a light orange with good clarity, this beer has a dense, white head that recedes to a thin disk, leaving patchy lace. I like the look on this beer.

The nose is actually pretty decent. While sweeter than I like my tripels, this has more than a simple sweetness going on. Honey, biscuit, a little dough, some floral character, all along with some spice (pepper? mace?) Swirling does bring out a slightly dull malt character. Some fruit is present as well. The palate opens with a combination of sweetness and alcohol, one that I did not expect. Quite fruity, there's apple and some light fruit. However, the alcohol is still very brash, bringing to mind jungle juice and other unpleasant memories. Spicy mid-palate before the alcohol digs in hard, resulting is a very hot finish, this is quite bad. The sweetness is moderate, with some sugar and honey, but the unabashedly brash alcohol makes this rather like an expectorant. The finish, in particular, is awful, with a big, alcohol bite, mild spices and some rose petals. Medium-light in body, this beer has a high level of carbonation. Not very enjoyable, I'm going to have to send my last bottle out as an extra or something.

As it warms up, I get a strong aroma of iodine/antiseptic and maybe even some urinal cake. I'm dropping my score to reflect this.

08-03-2010 03:02:29 | More by DefenCorps
mstenulis

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

This beer was different, not bad. The color was the perfect ale color, golden and clear. The head was white, but disipated quickly once poured into a glass. The aroma had a spicy hint to it, but it was almost like you could smell the 9.5% alcohol. The taste seemed to hint it as well, and had a slight peppery burn.

Although I did not care for this beer, it was still a great experience. I have some on my got list if interested.

03-03-2006 17:27:33 | More by mstenulis
Ragingbull

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

I know that I am going to be way out there compared to others reviewing this beer, but in my opinion it was just way too "busy." So that disclaimer being thrown out there for the low score here is what else I have to say.

Cloudy gold in color with no real head to speak of when I poured it into a pint glass. It is brewed with spices as proclaimed by the brewers. This is obvious through the nose and the flavor. The nose has a character like a milder version of a winter warmer. The attack is thick and malty. The flavor is ripe with cloves and spices. The finish is very confusing as there are myriad flavors swirling around and seemingly intertwining with components of the mouthfeel. Some probably hail the beer as "complex" and I just can't help but feel it is too busy. Most brewers I prefer the bigger and bolder offerings, but as for Victory I do recall being a fan of the Hop devil and Victory pils which means they go completely against the grain for me. While I am not disappointed to have tried this beer, I will not buy it again. As a matter of fact I have been pawning them off on guests because I don't care to drink the other 5. I feel like Simon Cowell. . . sorry.

05-04-2009 14:39:15 | More by Ragingbull
polyester

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

This isn't a bad beer, exactly. It's just... difficult to justify purchasing.

The color is nice, a pretty translucent golden, and the bottle is on the sexier end of the spectrum. pours nicely, smells decent (very fruity, especially banana) and has a good sticky head.

But the taste. It's... not right, somehow. Too sweet, cloying and almost overwhelmingly sticky. Oddly the alcohol isn't covered up at all by this mass of fruity odor; it combines with it to hit you over the head. Let it warm up a little and you can't take a sip without that involuntary head-shiver going on.
Not smooth at all, plus it *burns* going down, and not in a good warming way.

Hard to describe, but this beer almost feels like a grouping of separate parts that don't work together. Not a coherent mix at all, and not a good representation of the style either.

That said, I'll still occasionally drink this stuff if it's there, and if I've already had a beer or two (of another kind) so my judgment has been impaired slightly. But I always regret it afterward.

Also, without fail this stuff will give me a massive headache when I wake up the next morning - way out of proportion to the actual amount of beer consumed. So there's that.

02-01-2011 19:37:34 | More by polyester
JLeege

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Best by 1/12/14 ~ poured into a goblet

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear light golden color, with a very thin white head. Quickly fades to about nothing. A little splotchy lace.

Smell- Strong phenols, banana, light spiceing.

Taste- Very mild flavor and very boozy. Light banana, some belgian yeast, very phenolic again. Sugary & Sweet. There is not much complexity to this. The alcohol pretty much over rides everything else.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, low carbonation, slick.

Overall- This is supposed to be a triple??? I have had this beer multiple times and have never been impressed. Not sure why I keep revisiting it... Its a "hot" mess.

02-11-2011 04:56:51 | More by JLeege
tomParis

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Bottled March 2005. Hopefully I opened this too early, because I was not impressed by this beer at all. I'm cellaring the rest of the six pack for a year or two, maybe that will help.

The appearance was ok, hazy golden color with a decent head and good carbonation.

The smell and taste was dominated by an unpleasant belgian yeast taste and not much else. There were subtle hints of fruit, but they were overshadowed by the yeast. Not a balanced beer at all.

09-10-2005 19:43:16 | More by tomParis
beer-princess

Georgia

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a bomber into swirly green tulip-like Pier 1 stemware.

A - Poured a rich nicotine gold with a flimsly little Sunday newspaper-thick head. Lacing like ocean spray from te Little merMaid.

S - Very light nose. Bland and malty all in the front, nothing in the back.

T - Apricot, mango, sugar cookie, banana, semen, walnuts.

M - Champagne-like mouthfeel; light, bubbly, airy.

O - Would not buy again. Rides the bench between spicy and fruity. Needs to commit--should hang out with my boyfriend of 3.5 years! Good beer pong beer.

12-31-2013 03:46:27 | More by beer-princess
travolta

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

12oz. bottle with bottled on date (bottle conditioned)

Apperance: Cute, but thats about it. it's golden yellow and a bit irridecent which is always cool. a frothy head, but doesent last long. The head coats the glass very well, but doesent stay around long enough for a conversation. It ironic that the best head from beer stays even after your done with it, while with women we...aww....nevermind.

Nose: i get a nice sweet sugary nose fomr this one right away. Its "Belgain-Inspired", whatever that means. it smells like a Belgian, a little stinky. I get that carmel sugar and maybe...MAYBE lemon and lime. But dont hold me to it.

Taste: Its ABV is 9.5% So thats the aftertaste. Alcohol is a
major flavor characteristic of this beer. It bitter at first, but that chills down quite a bit right away, which is good. It has some maple syrup tones in it. It's crisp, but not too foamy.

Notes: the alcohol taste can ruin this one for you. It's not overly complex, heck, Its not even complex. if you have some friends over, start with something you love, then finish with this. WICKED EXPENSIVE for what you get.

02-25-2004 02:28:08 | More by travolta
TexIndy

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

12 oz bottle. Poured a golden/honey color with barely any head. The appearance was good but it had a strange smell which might mean I had an off bottle. You can really taste the alcohol but not enough to stop from drinking. After awhile, it does get to be a bit too much for me though. Finished it but last few drinks didn't go down easy.

09-06-2005 18:51:23 | More by TexIndy
Luigi

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden color with little head. Just a small lace. The aroma is not strong but has hints of yeast and bread. The taste is a little syrupy. Full bodied and an alcoholic sweetness. Drinkability is ok. The sweetness just is little too much. This is just not the ussual tripel. It lacks the clean fruity taste I am use to.

02-22-2006 03:09:35 | More by Luigi
bkilpatr

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 06/29/08. No freshness date on the bottle.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with about a half finger of off-white head. The head disappeared quickly and left no lacing. Aroma is very citrusy (orange, tangerine) with some banana and yeast also, with a noticeable alcohol presence.

Taste follows the aroma. More banana and bready yeast though, with some pineapple and a bit of citrus (orange and tangerine) and some spices. Very cloying sweetness to it, almost no bitterness at all. The alcohol is also present in the taste.

Feel is decent. Full body with medium carbonation. Fairly smooth. The drinkability is low for me though. The alcohol is very noticeable and the sweetness just kills it for me. I won't even be able to finish this bottle.

I'm really not impressed at all by this beer. There are so many better tripels out there.

06-30-2008 02:49:36 | More by bkilpatr
mikel52588

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A very transparent yellow-gold, 1.5 finger length head that dissipates really fast and leave no lace with lots of sediment floating around making it look like a yellow snow globe.

Smell: Straight up metallic, reminds me of Magic Hats odd notion summer 09, I cant really get to far past the metallic but it does seem to have some citrusy scent beneath

Taste: Taste is still very metallic, very similar to the Odd notion I mentioned. I'm not too big a fan.

Mouthfeel: Bitter metallic, leaves a long lasting after taste

Drinkability: Not my cup of tea (or beer for this matter), may need to just warm and open up a little, but its very metallic; interestingly its 9.5 abv, something you would not expect. I wouldn't say its very drinkable and I'm not one to recommend this.

09-11-2009 22:35:28 | More by mikel52588
huxcrunner

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

a-this is a nice light golden color with a low white head

s-smell of various spices give the beer a nice aroma

t-I did not care for the taste it was a little strong with to many flavors to really really enjoy

m-good feel to the beer not to light or heavy

d-if you like Belgian style beers this would be a good one to drink for a while but if not this might be one that you just have to experience for yourself and have one

03-21-2010 16:46:31 | More by huxcrunner
dustylong

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a light amber color with little carbonation (poured from a bottle into a snifter). Almost no head, little retention and virtually no lacing. Has a fairly "spicy" smell to it, with some hints of banana. Smells very alcoholic (with good reason, I guess). Fairly mellow taste, considering the style. Bread-like. Spicy, and banana tastes to match the aroma. Very malty. A pretty heavy mouthfeel. Again, very alcoholic. Definitely a sipping beer. Overall, a decent beer, but not very impressive, especially for the style.

07-26-2007 05:43:11 | More by dustylong
micahgoldfus

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured an attractice, hazy, thick, golden color, but with a bit of a small, dull head. The smell was pleasant: plenty of sweetness, with orange, honey, maybe even some berries in there, plus yeast, spice, bready notes, and a touch of light hops. I was excited to give it a try, but the taste dissapointed. There was the usual cast of character: the yeast, orange peel, banana, pale malts. But the tastes that I took away from the beer were the alcohol and the sweetness. The beer did not do a good job of masking the alcohol, making it as the dominant flavor, leaving a dry, metallic aftertaste in my mouth with each sip. If anything, they tried to mask it with sugary and fruity flavors, but the beer just came off as syrupy, especially with its pseudo-thick mouthfeel. I usually enjoy triples, and I think that there are plenty of better examples of this beer out there.

07-22-2008 20:26:40 | More by micahgoldfus
BARFLYB

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

12oz bottle into a regular kitchen glass. I have not had this in years and decided to pick up a bottle to see what is what.

A- Golden monkey pours out a cloudy yellow color with golen highlights. Not exactly "golden" but i see where they are coming from. A sturdy pour lead to 3 fingers of frothy white head that looked bubbly. It died down eventually leaving spots of lace.

S- Getting some breadyness from this monkey along with some fruit essence with orange peel apple and banana. A hint of spice is also detected. The biggest killer for me though is the alcohol which you can't get around.

T- Starts off with a lot of fruits( apple, banana, orange) mixed with alcohol & alot of it. This was my biggest problem with GM years ago and nothing has changed. Some yeast initially as well. I'm sure hops are used but no direct taste for them in this. Spices such as clove and the like come forth with warming.

M- With the alcohol taking center stage this is not very drinkable. To bad because I believe that this has the ability to be a great triple if the alcohol was masked better. Medium bodied with some sweetness from the malts. Carbonation is ok. The fruit mixed with alcohol leaves for a weird aftertaste.

D- Not so much, the high ABV does not scare me, it's just that GM is difficult to drink. A nice warming from the heat on this cold snowy day so GM has that going for it. This seems to be pretty popular on the whole but it is not for me. So maybe I'm missing something?!?? I will try this again in another 4 years to again, see what's what.

03-02-2009 22:35:20 | More by BARFLYB