Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,691 | Hads: 5,089
4.07/5  rDev +9.7%

First I've had of the style. Purchased in a Victory variety pack. Pours cloudy gold/straw with a thick head. Smells like a normal wheat beer with a little hint of spice. Taste is strong wheaty malts, a bit of nondescript hop bitterness, some sweetness, with some banana and some subtle herbal flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy. Good beer. The 9.5% alcohol is undetectable. (382 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -20.2%

12 oz bottle purchased from Whole Foods and poured into a Spiglelau stemmed Pilsner glass. It's OK, is the best I can say about it. Have tried this several times now and would not go out if my way to have it again. (214 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a decent Tripel, it doesn't do anything amazing, but does all things well. Actually a good value for the price. I do not recommend drinking it from the bottle (as others have mentioned - and as will happen when included in a variety pack), but rather from a wide mouthed glass. (285 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

I got this as a part of Variety of Victory Mixpack and I just had to try it!

Clear golden colored beer with a two finger high, white, head that leaves lacing.
A lot of bubbles racing to the top.

Nose: Banana, yeast, spice, pepper, caramel malt and honey.
Taste: Spice, sugar, banana, citrus, orange, coriander and caramel malt.
Body: Medium body. High carbonation. Crisp and fresh.

Great beer! (402 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Drank out of the bottle

Did not like this one, sweetness is very cloying. I will not drain pour unless it is truly awful (dark sour dreams small batch beer) but this cloying sweetness left me dreading each successive sip.

If you're going to drink a tripel do it right and get something made by the belgians, this is a skipper for sure I will never buy it again. (365 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a good american Tripel. The flavor is quite acceptable with a bit of spice. These are quite strong and after the second one your palate begins to pick up on the alcohol taste. It's not bad, but the 9.5% doesn't hide itself forever.

Mouthfeel could be better. Light lacing on pour from bottle. (301 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nice...I was not sure about the spice taste at first, but it grew on me! Nice golden color with good head and lacing, smells great too...I have 5 more, I think I will put a little age on a couple and try later? (210 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice golden color and modest head . Lace retention not so good.
Aroma has a lot going on. Bready malt, yeast, tropical fruit, herbs and spices and alcohol.
The taste had hints of these; however, the alcohol at times overpowers. Full bodied; definetely a sipper.
Although not the greatest Tripel ever, it is still solid. (328 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a 750 ml at Costco in Indy for around $6. I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. Just a tick below La Fin du Monde and a great beer for the price. (168 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into Cuvee

L-slightly cloudy straw colored yellow, some carbonation rising from the glass, 1/2 inch head with little retention, small white cap settling on beer

S-Belgian Yeast.......bananas, cloves, some spiciness, peppery, candi sugars

T-Follows the nose........good mix of the candied sugars and spices.......yeast is showing thru............sugary sweetness at first, followed by the spices then pepper and finishes with a slight alcohol burn

F-light to medium bodied, some warmth from the alcohol, typical tripel carbonation

O-fine representation of style (572 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Victory Golden Monkey or Cercopithecus Kandti is a style of Old World Monkey Ale found in the Virunga volcanic mountains of Central Africa, it is brewed by Pennsylvanian-Belgian monks under licence of Victory Brewing Company and each bottle contains at least 0.5% monkey, as stipulated by the Brewing With Monkeys ACT 1988 which states that any brew with the word “monkey” in the name MUST contain monkey or artificial monkey flavouring... anyway that’s enough monkeying around Doc, on to the review.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy tangelo/golden body with a wispy white 1cm head that reduces to a thin lace on top leaving behind some slight protein-filled spider lacing in the glass. Ooo, tasty looking brew! 8/10.

S: Chock full of spice on the nose - coriander, cardamom, clove and green pepper followed by a decent T-Load (Truck-Load) of candi sugar and an orange/grapefruit citrus finish. This beer has bags of aroma and I for one cannot wait to tuck in. 8/10.

T: Flavour is a bit more balanced, sweet does dominate slightly, with a: Orange/clove/cardamom/coriander/candi sugar taste that was expected from the above aroma, along with coconut... yes - coconut - there’s this slight coconut flavour in there that I’m sure I’ve encountered before in Coronado’s Orange Avenue... not sure if it’s intended but it does distract from an otherwise Top-Notch Tripel [initialism: TNT]. Finish is astringent but balanced between sweet/bitter. 7/10.

M: Mid to light, borderline heavy, bodied with a sharp and creamy carbonation, a decent mouthfeel then. 8/10.

D: Plenty going on in the glass to keep the punters entertained, however there is that niggling coconut taste that detracts from the overall Tripelness of the brew, I mean coconut, really?! Coconut should not be making an appearance in a Tripel for reasons too numerous to list, but I will list the main reason anyway: It’s COCONUT FFS! In any case I suspect the off-flavour to be heat/date related - as the Coronado Orange Avenue I previously bought was out of date - I suspect Tripel/Witbiers take on a coconut flavour as they go stale. This brew wasn’t too overwhelming with coconut though and managed to charm me with its other flavours, hence the score: 7/10.

Food match: Big brews call for big foods - Bleu d'Auvergne, Pane Di Casa and Westfälischer Schinken - some of the best of France, Italy and Germany. (2,420 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't sure how much alcohol I would taste in this beer but I've tasted none. This is an incredible beer. I really like this. For a Belgian style (triple) I really was impressed by this, this is one of those beers that just wowed me (I had this on tap so that's why it's getting a better rating) (297 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours with no head, a beautiful golden body.
Smell is peppery, banana notes, a little spiciness. Belgian yeast is very prevalent in the nose. The taste matches the smell, which is fantastic. A great example of the style. A crisp but slightly warming mouthfeel. Absolutely delicious. (283 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Ever so slightly hazy, golden straw color, 1 inch white head, good lacing down the glass

S: Spice, clove, banana, bubblegum

T: Really sweet, all the flavers mentioned in the smell, that spicy, maltiness at the end

M: Medium to full feel to it, well carbonated

O: Not sure why this beer has taken a beating on here but I think it is fantastic. It has the full flavor that I would expect from a triple and is complex and sweet. Right up my ally. (458 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

It says it is spicey and it is. Not my taste but to be fair it is as advertised.
-update had it again and it is better than I remembered. Def a top 10 beverage. (160 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Thin white head dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation and a good amount of sediment floating around. Bright clear gold.

Smell: Banana esters, slightly peppery. Slightly Belgian yeasty.

Taste: Starts big crushed black peppery and big sweet banana. Pepper goes away quickly and Banana sticks around. Not really picking up much of the alcohol. The sweet malts cover it nicely.

Feel: Light to medium light bodied. Carbonation is nice. Slightly creamish.

Overall: Really solid. Bordering on really good. It's an interesting dilemma trying to decide on this $14 six pack or a $14 bomber of Tripel Karmeliet. Not saying its as good as Tripel Karmeliet, but there are more of these. (686 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Banana and clove flavors in the aroma and taste. Not much in terms of "added spice". Yeast is dominant flavor. Not a huge flavor and no alcohol noted for a tripel with 8.7% (172 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was hesitant to rate this beer because 1) This is not my favorite style and. 2) I LOVE Victory and I didn't want to say anything bad about their offerings. But I decided to give my 2 cents because I need to catch up! Basically, this beer is overdone. I've told my friends that I think it tastes like mincemeat pie ale. The spices here don't do it for me at all. Yes, the alcohol is BURIED, but the flavor is a turn off for me. (428 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super weird tripel that tastes like a Belgian IPA. Very sweet, bright and mildly biscuity backbone balances the very aggressive peppery finish, with lemon-y notes of sweet and bitter. Warming alcohol, and still dominantly peppery, doughy, and sharp yeast flavours on the finish. Seems very confused as far as style/balance and overall I think it's just okay, but something about it (the finish?) secretly makes me want another sip... (433 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer is highly deceptive. I had to ask the barkeep if what he had given me was the correct beverage because I did not believe a beverage of 9.5% ABV could look this way. After realizing it was in fact the beer I had selected, I began to evaluate its deceptive veneer.

The color was golden, not too dark, not very light, very light head, and the taste wasn't rich but it was not bland either.

If I had a friend who I wanted to introduce to why drinking beer with a big kick is worth the money over bland light beers, without scaring them away with an Imperial Stout, (even if they tend to be the greatest beers) I would introduce them to a beer such as this first.

Simple reasoning behind my plan is because most novices to the world of craft beers put more investment into what the beer looks like than actually tasting it. Plus, let's be honest, beers with high ABV's are not for everyone. However, if you can introduce something to them that is very drinkable, albeit not as full as flavor as I'd like, this is exactly the sort of thing to get them going.

Also, this is a good beer to start a night off with in my opinion. While definitely not the best beer in its class, given the ABV and the solid taste and solid kick, a great beer to introduce to people who need beerducation. Solid 4. (1,308 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Does not carry much of the typical Belgian flavor or feel. Lots of dry grass malt, almost like a pilsner, and feels very watery. Not terrible on its own merit (though not great) it certainly is a bad example of the style. (223 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass

L: Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick white head. Only modest retention.

S: Mild yeasts/bread. Bananas and cloves. Somewhat spicy.

T/F: Nice yeasty esters. Baked banana bread and cloves/nutmeg. Nice alcohol warmth. Only minimal hops. Mild carbonation and easily drinkable.

O: An above average American take on the style. Nothing to challenge the Trappist brews but for a beer that is readily available on the East Coast this is a good pickup. I like it, and think it's better than the overall rating. (557 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoy this beer, it has a higher ABV but who doesnt like that?

The taste is nice and smooth and a nice aroma to it.

I shared this with my girlfriend and even she gave it a 8/10

props to the golden monkey! (217 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a very good domestic triple. My favorite triple is still karmeliet. But this is a nice beer for 1/2 the price. Give it a try it does not disappoint. (159 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

A- Clear Gold. Thin white lace. Very, very little lacing. Alcohol legs on the sides of the glass when swirled.

S- Lots of belgian yeasty with cloves.

T- Follows the nose well, some sweetness from the alcohol. There's a hint of banana from the belgian yeast. One dimensional for a Tripel, but not bad.

M- Almost syrupy, and not as carbonated as some examples.

O- An interesting take on a Tripel, but it won't be challenging La Fin Du Monde anytime soon. (502 characters)

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company