Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,062 | Reviews: 1,762
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was hesitant to rate this beer because 1) This is not my favorite style and. 2) I LOVE Victory and I didn't want to say anything bad about their offerings. But I decided to give my 2 cents because I need to catch up! Basically, this beer is overdone. I've told my friends that I think it tastes like mincemeat pie ale. The spices here don't do it for me at all. Yes, the alcohol is BURIED, but the flavor is a turn off for me.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super weird tripel that tastes like a Belgian IPA. Very sweet, bright and mildly biscuity backbone balances the very aggressive peppery finish, with lemon-y notes of sweet and bitter. Warming alcohol, and still dominantly peppery, doughy, and sharp yeast flavours on the finish. Seems very confused as far as style/balance and overall I think it's just okay, but something about it (the finish?) secretly makes me want another sip...

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of the only Spiced beers I like

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer is highly deceptive. I had to ask the barkeep if what he had given me was the correct beverage because I did not believe a beverage of 9.5% ABV could look this way. After realizing it was in fact the beer I had selected, I began to evaluate its deceptive veneer.

The color was golden, not too dark, not very light, very light head, and the taste wasn't rich but it was not bland either.

If I had a friend who I wanted to introduce to why drinking beer with a big kick is worth the money over bland light beers, without scaring them away with an Imperial Stout, (even if they tend to be the greatest beers) I would introduce them to a beer such as this first.

Simple reasoning behind my plan is because most novices to the world of craft beers put more investment into what the beer looks like than actually tasting it. Plus, let's be honest, beers with high ABV's are not for everyone. However, if you can introduce something to them that is very drinkable, albeit not as full as flavor as I'd like, this is exactly the sort of thing to get them going.

Also, this is a good beer to start a night off with in my opinion. While definitely not the best beer in its class, given the ABV and the solid taste and solid kick, a great beer to introduce to people who need beerducation. Solid 4.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Does not carry much of the typical Belgian flavor or feel. Lots of dry grass malt, almost like a pilsner, and feels very watery. Not terrible on its own merit (though not great) it certainly is a bad example of the style.

4.87/5  rDev +31.6%

A little lighter looking than I thought it would be, but delicious.

2.55/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Cloudy, hazy poor. Spicy, almost pepper like. Crisp finish.

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good, different beer. Spices are good at first, overtake beer towards the end.

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass

L: Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick white head. Only modest retention.

S: Mild yeasts/bread. Bananas and cloves. Somewhat spicy.

T/F: Nice yeasty esters. Baked banana bread and cloves/nutmeg. Nice alcohol warmth. Only minimal hops. Mild carbonation and easily drinkable.

O: An above average American take on the style. Nothing to challenge the Trappist brews but for a beer that is readily available on the East Coast this is a good pickup. I like it, and think it's better than the overall rating.

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Overall quite nice - fruity and bready. More like a delirium tremens but a bit boozier.

4.89/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very different. Almost citrus like. Not an everyday drink but worth trying and enjoying occasionally.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I don't care for this

4.55/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoy this beer, it has a higher ABV but who doesnt like that?

The taste is nice and smooth and a nice aroma to it.

I shared this with my girlfriend and even she gave it a 8/10

props to the golden monkey!

4.19/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a very good domestic triple. My favorite triple is still karmeliet. But this is a nice beer for 1/2 the price. Give it a try it does not disappoint.

3.33/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

bottled on 2/06/15 in a 750ml bottle

4.82/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Excellent Belgian tripel with awesome taste and aroma

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

A- Clear Gold. Thin white lace. Very, very little lacing. Alcohol legs on the sides of the glass when swirled.

S- Lots of belgian yeasty with cloves.

T- Follows the nose well, some sweetness from the alcohol. There's a hint of banana from the belgian yeast. One dimensional for a Tripel, but not bad.

M- Almost syrupy, and not as carbonated as some examples.

O- An interesting take on a Tripel, but it won't be challenging La Fin Du Monde anytime soon.

4.53/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is my reserve beer. Strong and bold enough to remind me that I'm drinking a good beer, but missing the subtle flavors of my favorites.

4.49/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

sorta spicy, fruity, great beer for pairing with food, chocolate etc

2.85/5  rDev -23%

More fruity. Was expecting a Belgian and like others say it seems more like a blonde Than anything

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: beautiful color, but crappy head retention

Smell: quite delicious actually, very spicy, but still sweet and mellow

Taste: very tasty, but now very complex

Feel: smooth.

Overall: A pretty tasty belgian Trippel, especially if you don't wanna spend too much (I got mine for $6.99/750mL), but be careful! The 9.5% will knock you on your ass pretty quickly!

3.61/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale gold (4) with thick white head and good carbonation. Notes of plantains, sour balls and cloves. Clovey start, more fruity than spicy. Medium mouthfeel. There is a heaviness in the body. Malt and cloves hide alcohol.

2.86/5  rDev -22.7%

I enjoy this beer right up until the after taste..

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

To compare this to other Triples, it's bad. It's really not a Triple but as a golden, this beer is great!! Excellent yellow color, strong citrus smell, tastes smooth, excellent beer.

3.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Very subtle and smooth for a higher percentage beer.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company