Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,691 | Hads: 5,089
2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

I generally like Victory brews. This one I did not. I felt the color was not appealing, the mouth feel watery and taste of bitterness did not sit well with me. I am not sure what it is but the bitter after taste over powered the experience of this brew for me. (260 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Belgian Style Tripel
ABV: 9.5%
Glassware: Oversized wine glass, but brewery recommends a tulip.

Appearance: Translucent dark gold with effervescence, and a thin head.
Smell: Bold spicy aroma
Taste: Strong and rich in spices with herbal and flowery notes.
Mouth feel: A nice kind of bubbly.

Overall, a nice interpretation of a Belgian Tripel. "Nice" and "pleasant" seem to be the best description for this beer. Has some character in that the high ABV is foreshadowed in the taste and feel. You know you're gonna get a good swift kick. Where the "best" Belgians seem more refined and hide their ABV much better. This one has a classically American "Ruffian" character to it. (676 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

I really want to like Belgian beers but I am having a hard time getting used to them. This tripel however is going a long way to getting me into the style.

It is a beautiful golden colour with minimal head. The aroma is still very Belgian, kind of the skunky yeast aroma that is a bit of a turn off. However things get better when tasted, it is a warm, full bodied ale, very sweet and tempered with various spices I can't put a name to. The aftertaste has only minimal musty yeast like flavours, more emphasis on the sweetness and alcohol. It is a very soft beer, very mellow.

I really enjoyed this ale. Definitely one for those who think they don't like Belgian beer. (674 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%

A golden/orange-colored tripel that pours with a quickly dissapating white head. Bottle conditioning creates a farily dense haze.

Spicy aromas are present with citrus and coriander notes as the most prominent. Fruity smells are under-represented for the style.

The high alcohol content is apparent upon tasting, but the light, sweet malt and subtle spices quickly balance the brew. The finish is yeasty and pleasant.

Light to medium body. I would prefer more carbonation.

Overall very drinkable. Perfect for summer and with spicy foods. (548 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance:
This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a pale medium reddish colour with a nice amount of carbonation and a two finger that disapated slow. Very noticable lacing seen.

Aroma:
Light Hops smell. Sweet with honey/red clover notes and a hint of spices like clove and cinnamon!

Palate:
Nice very subtle sweetness and definantly a spicy palate.

Flavour:
Nice. Undernotes slightly light in tone.... warm feel and spicy flavour!

Overall:
Pass, will drink again! This is a good beer and has a handcrafted style and kick! Like this with itself alone or with barbecue.... prefer it medium cool to bring out its flavours. (681 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%

Bright golden color with an inch thick white head that fades to a persistent thin cover. Strong aroma that's quite hard to pin down. Herbal and floral for sure but nothing distinct. Flavor is much the same. Strong yeast derived flavors with a substantial bitterness. Fruit and perfume with a crisp bitter finish. Hides its high alcohol pretty well. Fairly thin body and lively carbonation. Smooth enough to get you in trouble if you're careless but complex enough to sip slowly. Good way to satisfy a Tripel craving affordably. (527 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Clear yellow/orange with plenty of carbonation (compared to the bottle version). Noisy head that disappointed into thin lace.

S - Citrus and bananas with hints of yeast and bread.

T - Pretty much the same as the smell with a slightly disappointing aftertaste compared to other tripels.

M - Incredibly light bodied with no indication that this is a 9.5 beer. Dangerous!

O - Feels like a standard pale ale, and regardless of the other reviews I feel this is an incredibly smooth beer. Definitely one of my favorite American beers along with Weyebacher's Merry Monks. Best bang for your buck on the market.

Serving type: growler (634 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

My first tripel, this is a new experience.
Poured from 12 oz bottle into normal pint.

A: pours a clear golden color with a nice 1-2 finger head. Head remains for majority of the beer.

S: Lots of sweet malts from the elevated abv. Some banana, coriander, and flowers.

T: Unusually sweet to me, but enjoyable and balanced by the hops.

M: Thicker than expected, coats the mouth well.

D- Very enjoyable at first, however the sweetness is overpowering by the end of the beer. A good beer, but not one I would want more than one of in an evening. (545 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a my Chimay Chalice. I really like this glass.

A: I poured this both ways, vigorously, and easy. Vigorously, a one finger head was produced; a smoother pour produced virtually no head. This review is based on the rougher pour. As a result, the one finger head disappeared within the minute. The brew is a hazy light golden color, with a slight orange hue. There were quite a few particles floating around, and I'm not sure what exactly what they were either, maybe yeast, maybe dried fruit. I wasn't impressed.

S: I could smell alcohol, and some spices. After a good swirl, alcohol became more present, and bananas and apricots. Yeast is hidden, or this doesn't have a lot of it.

T: This reminds me more of a Strong Pale Ale, not a Triple. Belgian style is loosely used here. I can taste the Belgian yeast, and then big bitterness, like it has a lot of hops. I think the yeast is too strong. It overpowers just about everything else, except the bitterness at the finish, and that just lingers around for a little while. I can't really taste what this beer has to offer, which is a shame, because I swear there are hints of other flavors in there, but they are too faint to taste.

M: The best part of this beer by a long shot. It dances in the mouth quite nicely. Carbonation is very little, and it is medium-full bodied. If the bitterness at the finish was a little more balanced, maybe with some sweetness, I would really enjoy this. This slides across the tongue with ease, and leaves a little twinge after it's gone.

O: I don't care for this one. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. I'm trying to think of good things to say about this beer, but nothing really comes to mind. (1,730 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Just tried it for the first time recently and I must say I really did enjoy it. The higher alcohol content drew me in and I wasnt expecting much from the taste standpoint but I really was very good. It was sweet tasting initially and then a little bit spicy with a hoppy feel to it as well. I will definitely buy this beer again. (329 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

I bought this beer in a 750 ml bottle. Right before popping the cork the bottle caught the sunlight just right and I noticed a nice cloudiness from the beer. Upon pouring the the beer was a slightly cloudy golden color with a a white head that dissipated fairly quick. There was a good aroma with orange peel and belgian yeast dominating. The taste was good, what I would of expected out of the tripel with some hints of fruit with a slight alcohol finish. The mouthfeel on this beer was of a fairly high carbonation and good density. The finish was a little sharp and you knew you were drinking a 9.5% beverage. Overall I'm a fan, I'd drink again. (648 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with lively carbonation. Thin head even after agitating the glass. The head let me down a bit.

S: Smells of spice and earthy hops with fruity yeast. Bananas goin on in here.

T: Fruit and wheat up front which leads to hops and spices. The alcohol pokes its head through on the mid palate and sticks around for the ride. The finish is crisp and a bit hot. The Belgian yeast flavors dominate, hints of banana and nutmeg.

M: The carbonation is very nice and does a lot to stave off the alcohol. The body is creamy at first and thins out towards the end as the alcohol and yeast take over.

D: This is a relatively drinkable beer if not for the alcohol's insistence on being the star of the show. I like Victory and Tripels in general, so I'd probably buy this again. Overall it's not their best offering though. (843 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

A:medium straw color,head left quickly,nice carbonation.

S:great fruity,yeasty smell.reminds me of banana & subtle spice.

T:This brew is extremely well balanced.everything comes together as you drink it.Tastes very similar to the Belgian brew delirium tremens.

M:perfectly medium body smooth finish.

D:this brew goes down fast!somehow it hides the alcohol content!I love this beer,it is one of my new favorites.I consider this beer to be a work of art.An american beer that that competes with Belgian craft beers,with a cheaper price. (538 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +3%

served in snifter

A-light straw color with thick white head that quickly disapeared.

S-sweet spicy smell with a slight fruitiness to it.

T-sweet taste to it spicy flavor with strong presence of candy sugar.

M- Medium bodied with a lingering sweet flavor (259 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had the GM a few times... and whenever I see it on a list... it usually ends up in my glass

I love this style... and this beer

Preferably served in a snifter... beautiful golden and honey in color... nice white head... looks active

On the nose its nice and spicy but well balanced... rich but not over the top... cloves, tea, dried fruit

On the tongue... yum... yeasty and spicy... dry... a very nice journey... cloves, coriander, tea

In the mouth... slightly creamy... carbonation feels active... just right for the style

I really like this beer... and this style... I am surprised its not rated higher (616 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

Solid tripel, crisp and balanced. Nice golden color and thick white head. Grape on the nose, yeasty. Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation, refreshing. the 9.5abv well covered. I enjoyed this overall. (196 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This is the one that put us over the top and into the clouds. This fine American interpretation of the quintessential Belgian abbey style was one of the heaviest hitters in our tasting. Our fine local (Monty's Krown Lounge, Rochester, NY) served up a legendary assortment of Victory selections for us, and they were all wonderful.

The color was a spot on deep gold, little to no aroma, stiff malt backbone with delicately balanced hopping, a bit of cloviness, plus a significant (but not overbearing) alcohol contribution that just made you want to dance. Drink my monkey. (575 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

A bright white head that doesn’t stick around for the finish. This clear bright pale brew has a nose to excite the taste buds. The spicy aroma pulls you in. The taste is as bright as the color. Spices abound and delicately balance out the alcohol that has the potential to do damage when you’re not expecting it. This beer is DANGEROUS, it can easily become a session beer and at 9.5% it will floor you. Dangerously good! (423 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -33.7%

Bottled March 2005. Hopefully I opened this too early, because I was not impressed by this beer at all. I'm cellaring the rest of the six pack for a year or two, maybe that will help.

The appearance was ok, hazy golden color with a decent head and good carbonation.

The smell and taste was dominated by an unpleasant belgian yeast taste and not much else. There were subtle hints of fruit, but they were overshadowed by the yeast. Not a balanced beer at all. (464 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -2.7%

It’s got a nice soft yellow color, almost that of straw. You might mistake this for a macro-lager from across the room. Get this baby anywhere near your face and any case of mistaken identity will be resolved real quickly. The strong yeast smell you get on first whiff is nothing compared to the rich flavor on the palate. There’s not much to separate this beer from the hundreds of other tripels on the market, but this one is a bargain at ~$12 per 6pk instead of $10+ for a 750ml. (484 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This might be my favorite beer usually available. I've shown it to a couple friends who've had it become one of their go to beers. I literally can not say enough good things about this beer, you just need to go try it for yourself to understand (244 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Really liked this beer overall, but due to a fairly intense and odd spice addition, I can see why some may not.

Appearance: Nice golden color with minor lacing.

Smell: Not much. A mix of fruit, spice and alcohol.

Taste: Excellent. I love the fairly strong taste of clove, cinnamon and something else I can't put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: The body is not very thick, but there is a film that sticks around a little too long.

Drinkability: The taste wins over everything else making this one well worth the effort. Twos the limit however. (550 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A local liquor store found some stray beer in a recent renovation, including a six pack of Golden Monkey, bottled 4/25/07. Being one of my favorites fresh, I needed to try the aged version.

Poured into my Chimay goblet, the appearance was GM's typical lovely orange-gold. However, head retention was only hurt by age, and this is already a problem for this brew.

The nose is not the same in the aged version of Golden Monkey. The light malts come out more, with esters and spice taking a backseat. A little musty character from the Belgian yeast comes out that wasn't there before.

Taste-wise, the iso-amyl acetate (banana ester) has pretty much disappeared, and the malts and mustiness--much like an aged cheese--from the nose show up. Alcohol, strangely, seems more present but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel is nice; the perhaps somewhat overcarbonated GM is now very smooth. Drinkability--for a 9.5% beer--remains high, but the alcoholic presence tempers it very slightly.

Overall, this brew is much more well-balanced than the young version, but I really miss the esters. I think I really love Victory's off-balance brews: they bring certain great flavors to the forefront. While the aged Golden Monkey is quite great (rivaling many Belgian Trippels I've had), it's not the same as the crazy young beer that got me into Belgians to begin with. (1,353 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

(A) this tripel pours hazy with visible clumps of yeast floating around (i'm a pour/swirl/pour kinda drinker). there is a decent head, though i would expect a little more from a tripel. very little lacing sticks to the glass as it goes down.

(S) the smell remind of me of fresh fruit - quinces perhaps - with a noticeable phenolic yeasty character and no malt on the nose.

(T) sweet. a little sweeter than expected. strong, slightly medicinal phenols and booze. hop bitterness is mild but slightly more distinct than most BELGIAN tripels and taste mostly of flavoring hops as opposed to bittering.

(M) very well balanced mouthfeel. a medium body gives way to a nice and distinct prickliness. refreshing and filling. leaves you with a really nice level of heat from the alcohol.

(D) not my favorite tripel - it's a bit too sweet and this aggravates the medicinal character. that being said, "not my favorite tripel" still equates to "damn good beer". I'd gladly drink two of these on a drinkin' night... at nearly 10% ABV, they catch up on you quick. for the price, this is a great example of BELGIAN style beer and i will certainly seek this affordable little gem out again. (1,178 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance - Pours out a Nice Golden Color, Lots of Carbonation.

Smell - Like a Belgian Style Ale, Sweeter than most, Nice Spice Note mixed with a Yeasty smell.

Taste - Very Pleasant and Smooth for a Triple, you can't really taste the 9.5 ABV, very balanced, slightly on the sweet side, but I dig it, a very nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light and Crisp, Leaves a nice spicy aftertaste.

Drinkability - Very Drinkable, but beware these are very Strong 9.5 ABV and a couple of these will go straight to your head. (514 characters)

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company