Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,707 | Hads: 5,163
4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

This brew poured a beautiful cloudy, golden liquid. The aroma while pouring was very fruity. It formed a nice white head, probably half-an-inch thick.

The head quickly dissipated, but left a thin lace on the glass. The word to describe this tripel is "fruity". And I mean that in the best way possible. Any description of the taste of this brew should include the phrases "liquid bread", "yeasty", and "fruity" in it.

The yeast esters, maltiness, and hint of warming alcohol in this brew make this a wonderful example of the tripel style of beer. I will relish finishing off this six pack! What higher praise is there?

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Did not produce the typical "Tripel" pour I expected. I lackadaisically coaxed a two inch head into my Belgian tulip. It was golden straw with a fair haze. The head did not last, nor did it leave any lacing. A beautiful stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass, however, did continue to the last sip.
It smelled aggressively spicy, a quality that I dig. The first taste hits me with its sugary sweetness. As it continues to warm, it grows ever more spicy and I don't know, tangy? After reconsidering my "favorite style" designation, I return to drinking. This will not be my last Golden Monkey.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

A: OK lacing and head retention. Bright golden color with some suspension.

S: Malt sweetness and fruity yeast. Smells like banana and spice. At 9.5% abv, I can start to smell the alcohol.

T: The yeast hits hard with this one. The fruityness is so strong at the beginning that I can barely make out any flavors. There is a super fruity bubble gum, banana, and spice flavor. The hops don't interfere with the yeast and make a brief appearance and quickly fade away. The aftertaste is surprisingly wet for being so alcoholic. Moderate alcoholic warmth. Tremendously balanced sweet fruityness, light hops, and alcohol. Earthy aftertaste.

M: Not bad at all for a trippel. Dextrins make their presence, but don't give off a syrupy character.

D: Probably the best single aspect. It drinks like a 6.5% abv. The aftertaste is mild and it ends wet. This would sneak up on me FAST at the bar.

I'm not as crazy about the Belgian beers, but this one is both complex and balanced. A great all around Belgian brew that stays true to its roots.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A cloudy orangish yellow, with a decent head that forms and disappears quickly. Pretty nice looking beer!

Smell: Coriander comes through, with hints of banana, and cloves, and a bit of other spice. A bit floral also.

Taste: The coriander comes through a bit, and the hops come through in a nice balanced way. You can pick up other spices as it warms slightly. Hints of banana come through on the palate, which I quite liked. Very pleasant to drink. Finish is a bit on the dry side, but it's quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is high, pleasant medium body on the palate.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, would make a good session beer, but the 9.5% says otherwise.

Verdict: A monkey with a bit of a punch!

4.41/5  rDev +18.9%

Amazing. Good carbonation, a sour aftertaste, definetly golden look. Sometimes you can taste an alcahol aftertaste is the only downside, but with a 9.5% its good

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

i actually like this quite a bit. Other reviewers are right though, this is a poor example of the style. But i don't really drink it as an exmple. Weak head, that certainly doesn't last, and the lacing is weak when it's there at all. Very full and silky mouthfeel however. The flavor may not be rich and complex, but i really like it's basic profile; not too sweet and not as bitter or alcoholic as others of the style. In an odd way this reminds me of Midas Touch from DogFishHead. Not as sweet or complex, but far more economical. A great strong beer for a Friday night at home if you can get it easily.

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

This beer was alright. Nothing I’d get overly excited about, but still enjoyable. I believe the bottle also claimed that it was a Tripel, but I think that’s a serious stretch.

The appearance was um interesting: Pale straw with a tiny head that fell apart almost immediately. There was lots of yeast, but it wasn’t cloudy, it was chunky. Not exactly what I want to see. As I drank this beer, there was no lacing on the glass. The smell consisted of bread, yeast, and coriander. I didn’t get any fruit.

The taste was mostly a combination of yeast and unidentifiable spices. It wasn’t very interesting, and did not have much complexity. The flavors didn’t open up much during the course of drinking it.

The mouthfeel was thin and sharp. The carbonation was high, and without a richer texture, that made for a bite that I didn’t love. I thought that I might have an old bottle, since my friend from back east told me, “Dude, you have to try this!” and it was such an average attempt at an interesting beer. But no; its best by date was December of ’07 – 3 months from now. Anyways, I drank it all. It was OK. Drinkability-wise, I’d say this: each sip was definitely an experience… just not a great one.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Straw like color, little to no carbonation, no lacing in glass

S: Hints of Citrus on the Nose (Orange, Lemon) and bannana

T: Slight Lemon taste, a little bitter for a Belgian Style Trippel

M: Smooth

D: Drinkable beer, goes well with German Style Sausages

Another amazing beer by Downingtown, PA's Finest

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

A. At first pour, it was a very nice looking golden orange color. Very pleasent.

S. Was an intresting smell at first. Had a bit of an apple, malt, hoppy smell. And the alcohol

T. Very pleasent. Has a fruity upfront taste that leads into the alcohol. But isnt overwelming
or unpleasent

M. Seems to hang around the tongue. Full fruity taste

D. Id say sit back and enjoy this one, but be prepaired, a six pack will probably do you in or be pretty close

Final thoughts: A very pleasent, drinkable, fun beer. Very refreshing, fruity tasty beer. A little pricey but im assuming its cause of the alcohol. Price went down id purchase more. TRY IT

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

I generally like Victory brews. This one I did not. I felt the color was not appealing, the mouth feel watery and taste of bitterness did not sit well with me. I am not sure what it is but the bitter after taste over powered the experience of this brew for me.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

pours a nice golden color hence the name. has a nice white foamy head that splits quite quickly, and leaves a bit of lacing. smells like flowers and alcohol, tastes like flowers alcohol and lemon, and its a bit syrupy. i think it has some sort of spicy yeast in it. can't drink very much of this in one sitting, however it feels good in your mouth. an overall good offering from victory, so go out and get yourself some.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Tripel Ale brewed with Spices - 9.5%

This beer pours medium gold in color with a thick white head that dissipates fairly quickly. The aroma is nice - sweet and citrusy with a hint of spice. On first tasting, you get a lot of spice up front - more than I expected, kind of peppery with moderate bitterness. The carbonation level is fairly high in this one. Medium body with a slight creaminess. While drinking you can feel a slight alcohol warmth creeping in, and it finishes fairly dry. You don't feel as though you're drinking a 9.5% ABV beer.

Very nice overall, definitely one to try again, but not in large quantities...

- Dan

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

I like this beer alot; and despite some opinions I've heard to the contrary, I would say this one's an excellent attempt at a classic Tripel. It could be balanced a little better. It's a little too sweet; and the heavy spice makes it seem a little thin (with the spice overcompensating).

Regardless, I wouldn't pass this one up.

4.64/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is good beer anyway you look at it and you cant beat the price either!!! the guy at the grocery store reccommended this and i cant stop drinking it!!! six packs cost 11.99 and a tall boy is 6.99 and this kicks in at a heaping 9.5% also oh yeah!!!

4.74/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours a Golden Yellow, bright and clean with a nice creamy head. I'll be honest, I looked at the BA review as I was deciding weather or not I would buy this brew. I am so glad I did. It's heavily carbonated, which I'm personally fine with and heavily acholated. That's not a word but I'm finishing this growler right now, the carbonation I think hides the alcohol well. Also do smell a light Banana flavor, maybe that's where it gets it's name from. A very very bready, Banana bready taste that I really like. Not too sweet per say, I've definitely had sweeter beers so can't complain about that. I love the aftertaste. I think it is really drinkable and will definitely be going so far as to recommending this to all my friends.

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance - Light amber hue with a small head and ample carbonation bubbles

Smell - Floral with faint zesty burst of citrus

Taste - Yeasty with a strong spice finish

Mouthfeel - Light with a kick of zing

Overall - A nice beer with adequete appeal

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Belgian Style Tripel
ABV: 9.5%
Glassware: Oversized wine glass, but brewery recommends a tulip.

Appearance: Translucent dark gold with effervescence, and a thin head.
Smell: Bold spicy aroma
Taste: Strong and rich in spices with herbal and flowery notes.
Mouth feel: A nice kind of bubbly.

Overall, a nice interpretation of a Belgian Tripel. "Nice" and "pleasant" seem to be the best description for this beer. Has some character in that the high ABV is foreshadowed in the taste and feel. You know you're gonna get a good swift kick. Where the "best" Belgians seem more refined and hide their ABV much better. This one has a classically American "Ruffian" character to it.

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

I really want to like Belgian beers but I am having a hard time getting used to them. This tripel however is going a long way to getting me into the style.

It is a beautiful golden colour with minimal head. The aroma is still very Belgian, kind of the skunky yeast aroma that is a bit of a turn off. However things get better when tasted, it is a warm, full bodied ale, very sweet and tempered with various spices I can't put a name to. The aftertaste has only minimal musty yeast like flavours, more emphasis on the sweetness and alcohol. It is a very soft beer, very mellow.

I really enjoyed this ale. Definitely one for those who think they don't like Belgian beer.

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%

A golden/orange-colored tripel that pours with a quickly dissapating white head. Bottle conditioning creates a farily dense haze.

Spicy aromas are present with citrus and coriander notes as the most prominent. Fruity smells are under-represented for the style.

The high alcohol content is apparent upon tasting, but the light, sweet malt and subtle spices quickly balance the brew. The finish is yeasty and pleasant.

Light to medium body. I would prefer more carbonation.

Overall very drinkable. Perfect for summer and with spicy foods.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a pale medium reddish colour with a nice amount of carbonation and a two finger that disapated slow. Very noticable lacing seen.

Light Hops smell. Sweet with honey/red clover notes and a hint of spices like clove and cinnamon!

Nice very subtle sweetness and definantly a spicy palate.

Nice. Undernotes slightly light in tone.... warm feel and spicy flavour!

Pass, will drink again! This is a good beer and has a handcrafted style and kick! Like this with itself alone or with barbecue.... prefer it medium cool to bring out its flavours.

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%

Bright golden color with an inch thick white head that fades to a persistent thin cover. Strong aroma that's quite hard to pin down. Herbal and floral for sure but nothing distinct. Flavor is much the same. Strong yeast derived flavors with a substantial bitterness. Fruit and perfume with a crisp bitter finish. Hides its high alcohol pretty well. Fairly thin body and lively carbonation. Smooth enough to get you in trouble if you're careless but complex enough to sip slowly. Good way to satisfy a Tripel craving affordably.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Clear yellow/orange with plenty of carbonation (compared to the bottle version). Noisy head that disappointed into thin lace.

S - Citrus and bananas with hints of yeast and bread.

T - Pretty much the same as the smell with a slightly disappointing aftertaste compared to other tripels.

M - Incredibly light bodied with no indication that this is a 9.5 beer. Dangerous!

O - Feels like a standard pale ale, and regardless of the other reviews I feel this is an incredibly smooth beer. Definitely one of my favorite American beers along with Weyebacher's Merry Monks. Best bang for your buck on the market.

Serving type: growler

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

My first tripel, this is a new experience.
Poured from 12 oz bottle into normal pint.

A: pours a clear golden color with a nice 1-2 finger head. Head remains for majority of the beer.

S: Lots of sweet malts from the elevated abv. Some banana, coriander, and flowers.

T: Unusually sweet to me, but enjoyable and balanced by the hops.

M: Thicker than expected, coats the mouth well.

D- Very enjoyable at first, however the sweetness is overpowering by the end of the beer. A good beer, but not one I would want more than one of in an evening.

2.87/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a my Chimay Chalice. I really like this glass.

A: I poured this both ways, vigorously, and easy. Vigorously, a one finger head was produced; a smoother pour produced virtually no head. This review is based on the rougher pour. As a result, the one finger head disappeared within the minute. The brew is a hazy light golden color, with a slight orange hue. There were quite a few particles floating around, and I'm not sure what exactly what they were either, maybe yeast, maybe dried fruit. I wasn't impressed.

S: I could smell alcohol, and some spices. After a good swirl, alcohol became more present, and bananas and apricots. Yeast is hidden, or this doesn't have a lot of it.

T: This reminds me more of a Strong Pale Ale, not a Triple. Belgian style is loosely used here. I can taste the Belgian yeast, and then big bitterness, like it has a lot of hops. I think the yeast is too strong. It overpowers just about everything else, except the bitterness at the finish, and that just lingers around for a little while. I can't really taste what this beer has to offer, which is a shame, because I swear there are hints of other flavors in there, but they are too faint to taste.

M: The best part of this beer by a long shot. It dances in the mouth quite nicely. Carbonation is very little, and it is medium-full bodied. If the bitterness at the finish was a little more balanced, maybe with some sweetness, I would really enjoy this. This slides across the tongue with ease, and leaves a little twinge after it's gone.

O: I don't care for this one. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. I'm trying to think of good things to say about this beer, but nothing really comes to mind.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company