Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,705 | Hads: 5,159
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with lively carbonation. Thin head even after agitating the glass. The head let me down a bit.

S: Smells of spice and earthy hops with fruity yeast. Bananas goin on in here.

T: Fruit and wheat up front which leads to hops and spices. The alcohol pokes its head through on the mid palate and sticks around for the ride. The finish is crisp and a bit hot. The Belgian yeast flavors dominate, hints of banana and nutmeg.

M: The carbonation is very nice and does a lot to stave off the alcohol. The body is creamy at first and thins out towards the end as the alcohol and yeast take over.

D: This is a relatively drinkable beer if not for the alcohol's insistence on being the star of the show. I like Victory and Tripels in general, so I'd probably buy this again. Overall it's not their best offering though.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

A:medium straw color,head left quickly,nice carbonation.

S:great fruity,yeasty smell.reminds me of banana & subtle spice.

T:This brew is extremely well balanced.everything comes together as you drink it.Tastes very similar to the Belgian brew delirium tremens.

M:perfectly medium body smooth finish.

D:this brew goes down fast!somehow it hides the alcohol content!I love this beer,it is one of my new favorites.I consider this beer to be a work of art.An american beer that that competes with Belgian craft beers,with a cheaper price.

3.82/5  rDev +3%

served in snifter

A-light straw color with thick white head that quickly disapeared.

S-sweet spicy smell with a slight fruitiness to it.

T-sweet taste to it spicy flavor with strong presence of candy sugar.

M- Medium bodied with a lingering sweet flavor

4.49/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had the GM a few times... and whenever I see it on a list... it usually ends up in my glass

I love this style... and this beer

Preferably served in a snifter... beautiful golden and honey in color... nice white head... looks active

On the nose its nice and spicy but well balanced... rich but not over the top... cloves, tea, dried fruit

On the tongue... yum... yeasty and spicy... dry... a very nice journey... cloves, coriander, tea

In the mouth... slightly creamy... carbonation feels active... just right for the style

I really like this beer... and this style... I am surprised its not rated higher

4.07/5  rDev +9.7%

First I've had of the style. Purchased in a Victory variety pack. Pours cloudy gold/straw with a thick head. Smells like a normal wheat beer with a little hint of spice. Taste is strong wheaty malts, a bit of nondescript hop bitterness, some sweetness, with some banana and some subtle herbal flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy. Good beer. The 9.5% alcohol is undetectable.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This is the one that put us over the top and into the clouds. This fine American interpretation of the quintessential Belgian abbey style was one of the heaviest hitters in our tasting. Our fine local (Monty's Krown Lounge, Rochester, NY) served up a legendary assortment of Victory selections for us, and they were all wonderful.

The color was a spot on deep gold, little to no aroma, stiff malt backbone with delicately balanced hopping, a bit of cloviness, plus a significant (but not overbearing) alcohol contribution that just made you want to dance. Drink my monkey.

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

A bright white head that doesn’t stick around for the finish. This clear bright pale brew has a nose to excite the taste buds. The spicy aroma pulls you in. The taste is as bright as the color. Spices abound and delicately balance out the alcohol that has the potential to do damage when you’re not expecting it. This beer is DANGEROUS, it can easily become a session beer and at 9.5% it will floor you. Dangerously good!

2.46/5  rDev -33.7%

Bottled March 2005. Hopefully I opened this too early, because I was not impressed by this beer at all. I'm cellaring the rest of the six pack for a year or two, maybe that will help.

The appearance was ok, hazy golden color with a decent head and good carbonation.

The smell and taste was dominated by an unpleasant belgian yeast taste and not much else. There were subtle hints of fruit, but they were overshadowed by the yeast. Not a balanced beer at all.

3.61/5  rDev -2.7%

It’s got a nice soft yellow color, almost that of straw. You might mistake this for a macro-lager from across the room. Get this baby anywhere near your face and any case of mistaken identity will be resolved real quickly. The strong yeast smell you get on first whiff is nothing compared to the rich flavor on the palate. There’s not much to separate this beer from the hundreds of other tripels on the market, but this one is a bargain at ~$12 per 6pk instead of $10+ for a 750ml.

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This might be my favorite beer usually available. I've shown it to a couple friends who've had it become one of their go to beers. I literally can not say enough good things about this beer, you just need to go try it for yourself to understand

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Really liked this beer overall, but due to a fairly intense and odd spice addition, I can see why some may not.

Appearance: Nice golden color with minor lacing.

Smell: Not much. A mix of fruit, spice and alcohol.

Taste: Excellent. I love the fairly strong taste of clove, cinnamon and something else I can't put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: The body is not very thick, but there is a film that sticks around a little too long.

Drinkability: The taste wins over everything else making this one well worth the effort. Twos the limit however.

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A local liquor store found some stray beer in a recent renovation, including a six pack of Golden Monkey, bottled 4/25/07. Being one of my favorites fresh, I needed to try the aged version.

Poured into my Chimay goblet, the appearance was GM's typical lovely orange-gold. However, head retention was only hurt by age, and this is already a problem for this brew.

The nose is not the same in the aged version of Golden Monkey. The light malts come out more, with esters and spice taking a backseat. A little musty character from the Belgian yeast comes out that wasn't there before.

Taste-wise, the iso-amyl acetate (banana ester) has pretty much disappeared, and the malts and mustiness--much like an aged cheese--from the nose show up. Alcohol, strangely, seems more present but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel is nice; the perhaps somewhat overcarbonated GM is now very smooth. Drinkability--for a 9.5% beer--remains high, but the alcoholic presence tempers it very slightly.

Overall, this brew is much more well-balanced than the young version, but I really miss the esters. I think I really love Victory's off-balance brews: they bring certain great flavors to the forefront. While the aged Golden Monkey is quite great (rivaling many Belgian Trippels I've had), it's not the same as the crazy young beer that got me into Belgians to begin with.

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

(A) this tripel pours hazy with visible clumps of yeast floating around (i'm a pour/swirl/pour kinda drinker). there is a decent head, though i would expect a little more from a tripel. very little lacing sticks to the glass as it goes down.

(S) the smell remind of me of fresh fruit - quinces perhaps - with a noticeable phenolic yeasty character and no malt on the nose.

(T) sweet. a little sweeter than expected. strong, slightly medicinal phenols and booze. hop bitterness is mild but slightly more distinct than most BELGIAN tripels and taste mostly of flavoring hops as opposed to bittering.

(M) very well balanced mouthfeel. a medium body gives way to a nice and distinct prickliness. refreshing and filling. leaves you with a really nice level of heat from the alcohol.

(D) not my favorite tripel - it's a bit too sweet and this aggravates the medicinal character. that being said, "not my favorite tripel" still equates to "damn good beer". I'd gladly drink two of these on a drinkin' night... at nearly 10% ABV, they catch up on you quick. for the price, this is a great example of BELGIAN style beer and i will certainly seek this affordable little gem out again.

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance - Pours out a Nice Golden Color, Lots of Carbonation.

Smell - Like a Belgian Style Ale, Sweeter than most, Nice Spice Note mixed with a Yeasty smell.

Taste - Very Pleasant and Smooth for a Triple, you can't really taste the 9.5 ABV, very balanced, slightly on the sweet side, but I dig it, a very nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light and Crisp, Leaves a nice spicy aftertaste.

Drinkability - Very Drinkable, but beware these are very Strong 9.5 ABV and a couple of these will go straight to your head.

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Expected more out of a tripel (one of my favorite varieties)

Poured into a tulip glass. Had a nice gold color, and initial smell was good...

unfortunately beer did not hold up over the entire bottle.

high alcohol negligible... I am sticking with more authentic tripels

3.37/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance- Pours a bright yellow goldish color. Okay head at first, but it disipates quickly. No lacing. The beer itself looks murky. Even after it settles it looks like there is some yeast particles floating around.

smell- couple of different fruit notes here. Bannana is definetly present. I can faintly pick up some alcohol in there.

taste- Alcohol is well hidden. There is a sweet sugar taste which I would assume should be present in the style. Some fruity notes. Yeast is definetly present. It's rounded out by some spice which isn't pleasant (to me) at first, but it grows on me throughout the experience.

mouthfeel- light/medium bodied. Nothing bad about it. Nothing super about it

drinkability- Not my style of beer. Maybe with a meal, but certainly not sessionable. I think I might like it with a Cajun dish. 9.5 ABV will catch up to you real quick if you session these. The only upside is you only need three or four to catch a pretty strong buzz and call it a night.

Not my favorite beer from Victory. Definetly not my favorite style of beer. I'm sure there are better ones out there in the style as well.

4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

Ah the "Monkey". A good a place as any for my first review.
I really enjoy everything Victory has brewed (Dirt Wolf is a personal favorite).
As far as triples go, this one stands out from the crowd because it's unique. Banana seems to be proudly up front...Hense, monkey( I'm guessing) with a nice blend of spices. It's sweet but not too sweet. The 9+ ABV is masked well by all the other flavor going on here.

It pours a clear golden color (be careful not to dump in the sludge from the bottom or you'll have a murky monkey with floaters).

Unique smell and flavor as I mentioned...

Lacing was thin an left quickly.

Mouthfeel is nice ...nice carbonation and not thick and syrupy like other triples. Very drinkable.

Overall this is a very good, different, triple ale.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Very tasty and cheap Belgian Style Triple. It's no where near the level of a Trappist Ale, but it's very good and strong for the $1.40 I can get it for at World Market during their 30% off Build Your Own Six-Pack sale.

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4-Jan-2009 Home

Poured golden with a large, active head. Aroma is soapy and astringent (but good). Flavor is laced with a subtle pepper component. The lingering flavor is a sourness across the roof of the throat. This beer drinks very easily considering the ABV.

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Yellow/amber in color and very cloudy with lots of yeast. The white head quickly dies and leaves a little lace.

Smell: Fruity with banana and yeast on the nose.

Taste: The taste aligns well with the smell. Plenty of banana and fruitiness. Clear alcohol flavor that's warming in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is medium and warm.

Overall: This is a decent beer, but there are better tripels out there. The alcohol flavor needs to be balanced out.

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle

Appearance: Cloudy Golden Yellow with a soapy head that is 3 fingers deep

Smell: Banana with Cloves. Maybe a little bit of vanilla

Taste: Banana flavor with a spicy clove bite when the beer touches the tongue. A sweet malty flavor profile overall.

Mouthfeel: A spicy brew with high carbonation. Maybe a little bit too carbonated for all the flavors to come through.

Overall: A pretty decent Tripel but not as good as some of the oth

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Part of my first "build your own six pack" at one of the local stores, I figured I'd give this a try. Golden Monkey looked fairly interesting, and hey, if I ended up not liking it, I at least had an amusing name to fall back on.

Smelled really nice when I first cracked it open, and poured really nice, although there wasn't that much head. Fairly hoppy aroma.

Initial taste is really great, only once you've swallowed do you get the hint this is a 9.5% beer. No powerful alcohol taste at all, and full of flavor.

Nice feel, fairly light if anything. You wouldn't expect a beer this strong to feel this light.

Very drinkable. Good to have one or two with a few friends.

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

Smells of spices, bananas,cloves
Appearance, hazy, very light head that went away quickly, very little bubbles or carbonation. Very surprised considering many people reported heavy carbonation and thick head.
Taste of belgian sugar, light, but almost flat tasting.. Disappointing..
Mouthfeel was on the flat side, but not completely.. A bit sugary..
Overall I was very disappointed,, I love all of the Victory beers I have tried so far, and this was the worse by far. Maybe it was an old bottle I got, or hope that is the case. Surprised because of the all the other good reviews.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

You gotta be ready for this one. After a few sips, your mood has been mellowed. This is a very pale light in color. But don't let that fool you, you silly monkey. There was plenty of carbonation and mouthfeel in my bottle. The lacy beads clung to the sides of the glass very nice. Some bottles I had were a little hazy. Not this one, it was crisp and clear looking. Very nice. Nice Belgian yeast and hops, although not too many hops. Or were they over powered by the pure amount of Belgian Candi added? I think it's true Belgian counterparts aren't as potent (close but not quite). It drinks very smooth for that much alcohol. Makes you want to reach for another, if you can find it.

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured an oily-looking gold color. The only way I can describe the head of this beer is... nonexistent. There is no cap or lace - just a body of slick straw-colored haze. The nose is pretty much a yeasty banana bread, with a lot of the floral and spice scents backing it. It's got a decently enjoyable aroma to it. The spice and alcohol give it a warming aroma, too. It wasn't until after I'd poured the beer that I had read the ABV on its label. Despite being a strong beer (and at 9.5% ABV it definitely deserves that title) the heat is fairly well hidden in its body, which comes through with similar characteristics - yeasty; bready; banana-ish; subtle prods of citrus flavors. That being said, the taste really is quite shallow; there's not much to it, other than that tangy banana heat.

It's not a bad beer, per se; it's just a little boring. I could have a few of these, though I wouldn't recommend too many since I'm sure this beer could wreck you pretty quick.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company