Microbrew Invitational

Style: Tripel

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,745 | Ratings: 5,404
2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet glass. Pours a cloudy, gold with a 1 finger head. Quickly dissolves into a very thin head. Less than half a finger.

Aroma is somewhat lacking, in my opinion. Fruity. Alcohol comes through a bit... Picking up some floral notes.

Taste is more of the same. A little too fruity up front. Kind of like drinking some fruit juice. Can't really pick up the types of fruit, but definitely a blend going on there. Finishes with floral hops and a touch of spice. I also get a little alcohol taste in the finish too.

Surprising light mouthfeel for a brew of this ABV. Deceptively drinkable.

Overall, a decent brew, I guess. For me, its a type of brew I pick up to taste, don't enjoy it to the point where I get more but don't hate it to the point of a drain pour.

4.94/5  rDev +32.8%

A delicious and surprisingly light beer for the alcohol content. A bit sweet to the taste but doesn't sit hard. Only negative about the beer is the danger of drinking too much too fast, which is hardly a complaint. Overall one of the best bang for your buck beers on the market.

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Had this one on tap at a local tap house. Poured clear golden color with very little if any head. Smell was sweet but not as present as other Belgians. No lacing to speak of but still and attractive pour in a sniffer glass. I immediately enjoyed the taste and would order another.

4.41/5  rDev +18.5%

Amazing. Good carbonation, a sour aftertaste, definetly golden look. Sometimes you can taste an alcahol aftertaste is the only downside, but with a 9.5% its good

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

First I've had of the style. Purchased in a Victory variety pack. Pours cloudy gold/straw with a thick head. Smells like a normal wheat beer with a little hint of spice. Taste is strong wheaty malts, a bit of nondescript hop bitterness, some sweetness, with some banana and some subtle herbal flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy. Good beer. The 9.5% alcohol is undetectable.

4.78/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite US beers (and I've been to Belgium). Not for everyone, different for sure, but to me, that's what makes it stand out.

Coriander. If you don't like it, pass on this. Overall, a fantastic tripel with a flavor unlike any other.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

Admittedly, I am relatively new to this style so Trippel lovers take my review with a grain of salt I suppose, but this is really an addictive beer (or perhaps that's the high alcohol content talking). But on to the review.. it pours a very nice deep reddish gold in color and leaves less of a head than the weiss beers I typically drink. Not much laceing either. But the proof is in the very smooth taste that goes down quite easily. A very fine beer that defiitely whet my appetite for the style.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

I've seen this wonderful golden brew fermenting in their open tanks. What a beautiful sight it is! The perfume in the nose carries over to a fruity flavor on the tongue. The alcoholic content is well hidden and is very drinkable which is scary. This brew is another example of Bill and Ron's desire for quality and responding to what the people want in a beer. Distinctively in the Belgian style, this is made in a small town in PA giving the imports a run for the money. Don't miss this one!

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%

This brew poured a beautiful cloudy, golden liquid. The aroma while pouring was very fruity. It formed a nice white head, probably half-an-inch thick.

The head quickly dissipated, but left a thin lace on the glass. The word to describe this tripel is "fruity". And I mean that in the best way possible. Any description of the taste of this brew should include the phrases "liquid bread", "yeasty", and "fruity" in it.

The yeast esters, maltiness, and hint of warming alcohol in this brew make this a wonderful example of the tripel style of beer. I will relish finishing off this six pack! What higher praise is there?

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Did not produce the typical "Tripel" pour I expected. I lackadaisically coaxed a two inch head into my Belgian tulip. It was golden straw with a fair haze. The head did not last, nor did it leave any lacing. A beautiful stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass, however, did continue to the last sip.
It smelled aggressively spicy, a quality that I dig. The first taste hits me with its sugary sweetness. As it continues to warm, it grows ever more spicy and I don't know, tangy? After reconsidering my "favorite style" designation, I return to drinking. This will not be my last Golden Monkey.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

A: OK lacing and head retention. Bright golden color with some suspension.

S: Malt sweetness and fruity yeast. Smells like banana and spice. At 9.5% abv, I can start to smell the alcohol.

T: The yeast hits hard with this one. The fruityness is so strong at the beginning that I can barely make out any flavors. There is a super fruity bubble gum, banana, and spice flavor. The hops don't interfere with the yeast and make a brief appearance and quickly fade away. The aftertaste is surprisingly wet for being so alcoholic. Moderate alcoholic warmth. Tremendously balanced sweet fruityness, light hops, and alcohol. Earthy aftertaste.

M: Not bad at all for a trippel. Dextrins make their presence, but don't give off a syrupy character.

D: Probably the best single aspect. It drinks like a 6.5% abv. The aftertaste is mild and it ends wet. This would sneak up on me FAST at the bar.

I'm not as crazy about the Belgian beers, but this one is both complex and balanced. A great all around Belgian brew that stays true to its roots.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A cloudy orangish yellow, with a decent head that forms and disappears quickly. Pretty nice looking beer!

Smell: Coriander comes through, with hints of banana, and cloves, and a bit of other spice. A bit floral also.

Taste: The coriander comes through a bit, and the hops come through in a nice balanced way. You can pick up other spices as it warms slightly. Hints of banana come through on the palate, which I quite liked. Very pleasant to drink. Finish is a bit on the dry side, but it's quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is high, pleasant medium body on the palate.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, would make a good session beer, but the 9.5% says otherwise.

Verdict: A monkey with a bit of a punch!

3.15/5  rDev -15.3%

i actually like this quite a bit. Other reviewers are right though, this is a poor example of the style. But i don't really drink it as an exmple. Weak head, that certainly doesn't last, and the lacing is weak when it's there at all. Very full and silky mouthfeel however. The flavor may not be rich and complex, but i really like it's basic profile; not too sweet and not as bitter or alcoholic as others of the style. In an odd way this reminds me of Midas Touch from DogFishHead. Not as sweet or complex, but far more economical. A great strong beer for a Friday night at home if you can get it easily.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

This beer was alright. Nothing I’d get overly excited about, but still enjoyable. I believe the bottle also claimed that it was a Tripel, but I think that’s a serious stretch.

The appearance was um interesting: Pale straw with a tiny head that fell apart almost immediately. There was lots of yeast, but it wasn’t cloudy, it was chunky. Not exactly what I want to see. As I drank this beer, there was no lacing on the glass. The smell consisted of bread, yeast, and coriander. I didn’t get any fruit.

The taste was mostly a combination of yeast and unidentifiable spices. It wasn’t very interesting, and did not have much complexity. The flavors didn’t open up much during the course of drinking it.

The mouthfeel was thin and sharp. The carbonation was high, and without a richer texture, that made for a bite that I didn’t love. I thought that I might have an old bottle, since my friend from back east told me, “Dude, you have to try this!” and it was such an average attempt at an interesting beer. But no; its best by date was December of ’07 – 3 months from now. Anyways, I drank it all. It was OK. Drinkability-wise, I’d say this: each sip was definitely an experience… just not a great one.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Straw like color, little to no carbonation, no lacing in glass

S: Hints of Citrus on the Nose (Orange, Lemon) and bannana

T: Slight Lemon taste, a little bitter for a Belgian Style Trippel

M: Smooth

D: Drinkable beer, goes well with German Style Sausages

Another amazing beer by Downingtown, PA's Finest

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

A. At first pour, it was a very nice looking golden orange color. Very pleasent.

S. Was an intresting smell at first. Had a bit of an apple, malt, hoppy smell. And the alcohol

T. Very pleasent. Has a fruity upfront taste that leads into the alcohol. But isnt overwelming
or unpleasent

M. Seems to hang around the tongue. Full fruity taste

D. Id say sit back and enjoy this one, but be prepaired, a six pack will probably do you in or be pretty close

Final thoughts: A very pleasent, drinkable, fun beer. Very refreshing, fruity tasty beer. A little pricey but im assuming its cause of the alcohol. Price went down id purchase more. TRY IT

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

I generally like Victory brews. This one I did not. I felt the color was not appealing, the mouth feel watery and taste of bitterness did not sit well with me. I am not sure what it is but the bitter after taste over powered the experience of this brew for me.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

pours a nice golden color hence the name. has a nice white foamy head that splits quite quickly, and leaves a bit of lacing. smells like flowers and alcohol, tastes like flowers alcohol and lemon, and its a bit syrupy. i think it has some sort of spicy yeast in it. can't drink very much of this in one sitting, however it feels good in your mouth. an overall good offering from victory, so go out and get yourself some.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Tripel Ale brewed with Spices - 9.5%

This beer pours medium gold in color with a thick white head that dissipates fairly quickly. The aroma is nice - sweet and citrusy with a hint of spice. On first tasting, you get a lot of spice up front - more than I expected, kind of peppery with moderate bitterness. The carbonation level is fairly high in this one. Medium body with a slight creaminess. While drinking you can feel a slight alcohol warmth creeping in, and it finishes fairly dry. You don't feel as though you're drinking a 9.5% ABV beer.

Very nice overall, definitely one to try again, but not in large quantities...

- Dan

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

I like this beer alot; and despite some opinions I've heard to the contrary, I would say this one's an excellent attempt at a classic Tripel. It could be balanced a little better. It's a little too sweet; and the heavy spice makes it seem a little thin (with the spice overcompensating).

Regardless, I wouldn't pass this one up.

4.64/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is good beer anyway you look at it and you cant beat the price either!!! the guy at the grocery store reccommended this and i cant stop drinking it!!! six packs cost 11.99 and a tall boy is 6.99 and this kicks in at a heaping 9.5% also oh yeah!!!

4.74/5  rDev +27.4%

Pours a Golden Yellow, bright and clean with a nice creamy head. I'll be honest, I looked at the BA review as I was deciding weather or not I would buy this brew. I am so glad I did. It's heavily carbonated, which I'm personally fine with and heavily acholated. That's not a word but I'm finishing this growler right now, the carbonation I think hides the alcohol well. Also do smell a light Banana flavor, maybe that's where it gets it's name from. A very very bready, Banana bready taste that I really like. Not too sweet per say, I've definitely had sweeter beers so can't complain about that. I love the aftertaste. I think it is really drinkable and will definitely be going so far as to recommending this to all my friends.

3.18/5  rDev -14.5%

Appearance - Light amber hue with a small head and ample carbonation bubbles

Smell - Floral with faint zesty burst of citrus

Taste - Yeasty with a strong spice finish

Mouthfeel - Light with a kick of zing

Overall - A nice beer with adequete appeal

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Belgian Style Tripel
ABV: 9.5%
Glassware: Oversized wine glass, but brewery recommends a tulip.

Appearance: Translucent dark gold with effervescence, and a thin head.
Smell: Bold spicy aroma
Taste: Strong and rich in spices with herbal and flowery notes.
Mouth feel: A nice kind of bubbly.

Overall, a nice interpretation of a Belgian Tripel. "Nice" and "pleasant" seem to be the best description for this beer. Has some character in that the high ABV is foreshadowed in the taste and feel. You know you're gonna get a good swift kick. Where the "best" Belgians seem more refined and hide their ABV much better. This one has a classically American "Ruffian" character to it.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown