Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,051 | Reviews: 1,759
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Does a decent job for a tripel

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I am a fan of all Belgium triples, and Golden Monkey does not disappoint. Very easy to drink; which makes it hard to notice the 9.5% ABV.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

pours a nice golden color hence the name. has a nice white foamy head that splits quite quickly, and leaves a bit of lacing. smells like flowers and alcohol, tastes like flowers alcohol and lemon, and its a bit syrupy. i think it has some sort of spicy yeast in it. can't drink very much of this in one sitting, however it feels good in your mouth. an overall good offering from victory, so go out and get yourself some.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Tripel Ale brewed with Spices - 9.5%

This beer pours medium gold in color with a thick white head that dissipates fairly quickly. The aroma is nice - sweet and citrusy with a hint of spice. On first tasting, you get a lot of spice up front - more than I expected, kind of peppery with moderate bitterness. The carbonation level is fairly high in this one. Medium body with a slight creaminess. While drinking you can feel a slight alcohol warmth creeping in, and it finishes fairly dry. You don't feel as though you're drinking a 9.5% ABV beer.

Very nice overall, definitely one to try again, but not in large quantities...

- Dan

4.33/5  rDev +17%

I like this beer alot; and despite some opinions I've heard to the contrary, I would say this one's an excellent attempt at a classic Tripel. It could be balanced a little better. It's a little too sweet; and the heavy spice makes it seem a little thin (with the spice overcompensating).

Regardless, I wouldn't pass this one up.

4.64/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is good beer anyway you look at it and you cant beat the price either!!! the guy at the grocery store reccommended this and i cant stop drinking it!!! six packs cost 11.99 and a tall boy is 6.99 and this kicks in at a heaping 9.5% also oh yeah!!!

4.74/5  rDev +28.1%

Pours a Golden Yellow, bright and clean with a nice creamy head. I'll be honest, I looked at the BA review as I was deciding weather or not I would buy this brew. I am so glad I did. It's heavily carbonated, which I'm personally fine with and heavily acholated. That's not a word but I'm finishing this growler right now, the carbonation I think hides the alcohol well. Also do smell a light Banana flavor, maybe that's where it gets it's name from. A very very bready, Banana bready taste that I really like. Not too sweet per say, I've definitely had sweeter beers so can't complain about that. I love the aftertaste. I think it is really drinkable and will definitely be going so far as to recommending this to all my friends.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance - Light amber hue with a small head and ample carbonation bubbles

Smell - Floral with faint zesty burst of citrus

Taste - Yeasty with a strong spice finish

Mouthfeel - Light with a kick of zing

Overall - A nice beer with adequete appeal

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Belgian Style Tripel
ABV: 9.5%
Glassware: Oversized wine glass, but brewery recommends a tulip.

Appearance: Translucent dark gold with effervescence, and a thin head.
Smell: Bold spicy aroma
Taste: Strong and rich in spices with herbal and flowery notes.
Mouth feel: A nice kind of bubbly.

Overall, a nice interpretation of a Belgian Tripel. "Nice" and "pleasant" seem to be the best description for this beer. Has some character in that the high ABV is foreshadowed in the taste and feel. You know you're gonna get a good swift kick. Where the "best" Belgians seem more refined and hide their ABV much better. This one has a classically American "Ruffian" character to it.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

I really want to like Belgian beers but I am having a hard time getting used to them. This tripel however is going a long way to getting me into the style.

It is a beautiful golden colour with minimal head. The aroma is still very Belgian, kind of the skunky yeast aroma that is a bit of a turn off. However things get better when tasted, it is a warm, full bodied ale, very sweet and tempered with various spices I can't put a name to. The aftertaste has only minimal musty yeast like flavours, more emphasis on the sweetness and alcohol. It is a very soft beer, very mellow.

I really enjoyed this ale. Definitely one for those who think they don't like Belgian beer.

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%

A golden/orange-colored tripel that pours with a quickly dissapating white head. Bottle conditioning creates a farily dense haze.

Spicy aromas are present with citrus and coriander notes as the most prominent. Fruity smells are under-represented for the style.

The high alcohol content is apparent upon tasting, but the light, sweet malt and subtle spices quickly balance the brew. The finish is yeasty and pleasant.

Light to medium body. I would prefer more carbonation.

Overall very drinkable. Perfect for summer and with spicy foods.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance:
This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a pale medium reddish colour with a nice amount of carbonation and a two finger that disapated slow. Very noticable lacing seen.

Aroma:
Light Hops smell. Sweet with honey/red clover notes and a hint of spices like clove and cinnamon!

Palate:
Nice very subtle sweetness and definantly a spicy palate.

Flavour:
Nice. Undernotes slightly light in tone.... warm feel and spicy flavour!

Overall:
Pass, will drink again! This is a good beer and has a handcrafted style and kick! Like this with itself alone or with barbecue.... prefer it medium cool to bring out its flavours.

3.52/5  rDev -4.9%

Bright golden color with an inch thick white head that fades to a persistent thin cover. Strong aroma that's quite hard to pin down. Herbal and floral for sure but nothing distinct. Flavor is much the same. Strong yeast derived flavors with a substantial bitterness. Fruit and perfume with a crisp bitter finish. Hides its high alcohol pretty well. Fairly thin body and lively carbonation. Smooth enough to get you in trouble if you're careless but complex enough to sip slowly. Good way to satisfy a Tripel craving affordably.

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Clear yellow/orange with plenty of carbonation (compared to the bottle version). Noisy head that disappointed into thin lace.

S - Citrus and bananas with hints of yeast and bread.

T - Pretty much the same as the smell with a slightly disappointing aftertaste compared to other tripels.

M - Incredibly light bodied with no indication that this is a 9.5 beer. Dangerous!

O - Feels like a standard pale ale, and regardless of the other reviews I feel this is an incredibly smooth beer. Definitely one of my favorite American beers along with Weyebacher's Merry Monks. Best bang for your buck on the market.

Serving type: growler

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

My first tripel, this is a new experience.
Poured from 12 oz bottle into normal pint.

A: pours a clear golden color with a nice 1-2 finger head. Head remains for majority of the beer.

S: Lots of sweet malts from the elevated abv. Some banana, coriander, and flowers.

T: Unusually sweet to me, but enjoyable and balanced by the hops.

M: Thicker than expected, coats the mouth well.

D- Very enjoyable at first, however the sweetness is overpowering by the end of the beer. A good beer, but not one I would want more than one of in an evening.

2.87/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a my Chimay Chalice. I really like this glass.

A: I poured this both ways, vigorously, and easy. Vigorously, a one finger head was produced; a smoother pour produced virtually no head. This review is based on the rougher pour. As a result, the one finger head disappeared within the minute. The brew is a hazy light golden color, with a slight orange hue. There were quite a few particles floating around, and I'm not sure what exactly what they were either, maybe yeast, maybe dried fruit. I wasn't impressed.

S: I could smell alcohol, and some spices. After a good swirl, alcohol became more present, and bananas and apricots. Yeast is hidden, or this doesn't have a lot of it.

T: This reminds me more of a Strong Pale Ale, not a Triple. Belgian style is loosely used here. I can taste the Belgian yeast, and then big bitterness, like it has a lot of hops. I think the yeast is too strong. It overpowers just about everything else, except the bitterness at the finish, and that just lingers around for a little while. I can't really taste what this beer has to offer, which is a shame, because I swear there are hints of other flavors in there, but they are too faint to taste.

M: The best part of this beer by a long shot. It dances in the mouth quite nicely. Carbonation is very little, and it is medium-full bodied. If the bitterness at the finish was a little more balanced, maybe with some sweetness, I would really enjoy this. This slides across the tongue with ease, and leaves a little twinge after it's gone.

O: I don't care for this one. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. I'm trying to think of good things to say about this beer, but nothing really comes to mind.

3.44/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Just tried it for the first time recently and I must say I really did enjoy it. The higher alcohol content drew me in and I wasnt expecting much from the taste standpoint but I really was very good. It was sweet tasting initially and then a little bit spicy with a hoppy feel to it as well. I will definitely buy this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

"Tripel Ale With Spice Added," it says. It definitely does provide some spice.

2.48/5  rDev -33%

I generally like Victory brews. This one I did not. I felt the color was not appealing, the mouth feel watery and taste of bitterness did not sit well with me. I am not sure what it is but the bitter after taste over powered the experience of this brew for me.

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a 750 ml at Costco in Indy for around $6. I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. Just a tick below La Fin du Monde and a great beer for the price.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought this beer in a 750 ml bottle. Right before popping the cork the bottle caught the sunlight just right and I noticed a nice cloudiness from the beer. Upon pouring the the beer was a slightly cloudy golden color with a a white head that dissipated fairly quick. There was a good aroma with orange peel and belgian yeast dominating. The taste was good, what I would of expected out of the tripel with some hints of fruit with a slight alcohol finish. The mouthfeel on this beer was of a fairly high carbonation and good density. The finish was a little sharp and you knew you were drinking a 9.5% beverage. Overall I'm a fan, I'd drink again.

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with lively carbonation. Thin head even after agitating the glass. The head let me down a bit.

S: Smells of spice and earthy hops with fruity yeast. Bananas goin on in here.

T: Fruit and wheat up front which leads to hops and spices. The alcohol pokes its head through on the mid palate and sticks around for the ride. The finish is crisp and a bit hot. The Belgian yeast flavors dominate, hints of banana and nutmeg.

M: The carbonation is very nice and does a lot to stave off the alcohol. The body is creamy at first and thins out towards the end as the alcohol and yeast take over.

D: This is a relatively drinkable beer if not for the alcohol's insistence on being the star of the show. I like Victory and Tripels in general, so I'd probably buy this again. Overall it's not their best offering though.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

A:medium straw color,head left quickly,nice carbonation.

S:great fruity,yeasty smell.reminds me of banana & subtle spice.

T:This brew is extremely well balanced.everything comes together as you drink it.Tastes very similar to the Belgian brew delirium tremens.

M:perfectly medium body smooth finish.

D:this brew goes down fast!somehow it hides the alcohol content!I love this beer,it is one of my new favorites.I consider this beer to be a work of art.An american beer that that competes with Belgian craft beers,with a cheaper price.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

served in snifter

A-light straw color with thick white head that quickly disapeared.

S-sweet spicy smell with a slight fruitiness to it.

T-sweet taste to it spicy flavor with strong presence of candy sugar.

M- Medium bodied with a lingering sweet flavor

4.49/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had the GM a few times... and whenever I see it on a list... it usually ends up in my glass

I love this style... and this beer

Preferably served in a snifter... beautiful golden and honey in color... nice white head... looks active

On the nose its nice and spicy but well balanced... rich but not over the top... cloves, tea, dried fruit

On the tongue... yum... yeasty and spicy... dry... a very nice journey... cloves, coriander, tea

In the mouth... slightly creamy... carbonation feels active... just right for the style

I really like this beer... and this style... I am surprised its not rated higher

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company