Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,051 | Reviews: 1,759
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Lucky enough to try a freshly tapped barrel. Poured a warm amber gold with a tight 1/2" head of white foam that clung incredibly, forming beer tree rings with each sip.

Nose was pleasing - light, sweet, reminiscent of honey and very mild citrus. Initial tongue is smooth & even, with a subtle, wonderful citrus (orange) presence noticable. Lite wisps of some spice present - very nice. A very enjoyable peak of hops rose on the tongue as the tastes continued to mingle. Its slick & smooth on the throat, the sensation (and slight taste) of honey comes to mind. It swallows sweet but not sugary nor out of kilter with the previous taste, leaving a very clean & inviting aftertaste.

A very enjoyable brew that would be an excellent kick-off to any session or pair well with some lively/spiced foods. Will enjoy this one anytime opportunity allows.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Golden and clear. Vigorous bubbling action. White head that holds for a stitch in time.

Smell: White grapes and spice at first waft. Smells fresh and clean. Yeast character shows up amidst the fruitiness.

Taste: Sweet and fruity. Good proportion of spiciness to accompany the sweet base. Spices are not over the edge, but hang on the cusp. Flirting with my limits. There is a bit of sweet and sour in the finish that makes me thirst for another pull. Juicy and refreshing I guess I could say. The yeast lends some flavour to the brew without imparting any distasteful results. Mostly a sweet concoction.

Mouthfeel: Light. Refreshing. Goes down with relative ease.

Drinkability: Good. Another one of those undercover wolves that has the potential to do a number on an unsuspecting drinker. I cannot detect any alcohol presence in any aspect. Could be dangerous. Overall a good show, although I can't think of a time when I would want to drink this.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz. brown bottle with bottled on date of Feb 19 04--it's got some time under its belt.

Poured a cloudy dark straw with a white head that quickly dropped to a collar. Lacing was minimal.

Fruity esters, alcohol, bread, and a touch of barnyard funk in the nose. Fruit smells remind me of peach and apricot.

Medium body with a nice creaminess and a mellow carbonation. Powdery yeast seems to be the star of the show. Lightly grainy with a touch of nuttiness and a strong, warming alcohol bite in the finish battles with a nice malt lingering.

Mouthfeel was great, the taste seemed lacking in direction, the alcohol not hidden well. I'm glad the bottle was aged, or I suspect this beer would've been a club-handed brute.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Pour: a hazy gold with plenty of head that reduces to lacing slowly. I love watching this beer as the haze swirls around.

Smell: a bit malty but notes of fruit

Taste: sharp but nothing noticable really sticks out. A decent amount of carbonation to boot.

Mouthfeel: full bodied and dry

Drinkability: defiantly not a session beer.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear golden yellow hue with a thin white head. Smell of grass and subdued malt, with some bready notes, and some alcohol. Malty taste with mild fruitiness yields to warming alcohol. There is also a noticeable yeast presence. Crisp carbonation balances a bready and smooth mouthfeel. Finish includes some citrous hops and of course alcohol. Not a bad beer, but not awe-inspiring. I may try this one again at a later date.

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

poured a beautiful golden color with decent white head and bubbles that just will not quit. The smell is hard to describe (bananas??) but I love it. The first taste is superb, and each additional sip is even better. The felling it leaves in my mouth is complex and long-lasting. A winner !!!!

4.48/5  rDev +21.1%

Probably my favorite all-around beer. Good pour, nice golden color, good head. A friend turned me on to this directly from the Victory Brewery. I will always have this in my fridge.

Malty taste and good balance of hops. You can tell from the first taste that this is a well-crafted beer.

WAY TO GO VICTORY!!! Keep up the good work and keep those Monkeys coming!!!

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: A hazy dark gold. I've read a few reviews that claim that this beer has little head retention. I could not disagree more. The head on this beer stayed and it was thicker than most. It was like the froth on the edge of a broken wave. Beer also appeared to be quite carbonated

Smell: Hot-Day-AMN. The smell of this one is trump tight. The eastern spices are like aroma therapy. Those clove-ish spices blend with the hops and a sweet fruit scent to create an enticing aroma.

Taste: From the second this one hits your lips you just know that this is an "Americanized" Tripel. The heavey dose of spices really sets this beer apart from others I have had. This bear is hearty and has a semi-sweet malt foundation. The Golden Monkey leaves you with a moderately hopped aftertaste that borders on sour. If it weren't this questionable aftertaste and the cottonmouth it gave me...I may have given this one a "5" for taste

Mouthfeel: Rich and bold.

Drinkability: Such a good beer but the off aftertaste lowers the scores a bit

Maybe aging this for a bit would do it some good?

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Higravity and Secret Bunny '05

Pours a hazy golden yellow. Pure white head. Retention is lacking as the already small head vanishes almost as quick as this one is poured. The collar, however, is nice.
Smell is fruity (plums, peaches, grapes, green apples) with a spicy background (coriander, slight nutmeg and cinnamon). Yeastiness, a slight musty aroma, and an alcohol presence round this one out.
Taste is pretty much similar to the smell. It is a little sweeter than I had imagined, but the fruitiness makes up for this (see above) and the spicy hops, breadiness, slight yeast character, and massive spices balance this one out. Alcohol doesn't really factor into the flavor, it's there, but it's not really noticable.
Overall, this is a bit too slick for me, as I like my tripels to be a bit more heavily carbonated. Nevertheless, the flavors are solid and this is certainly a beer that I enjoyed.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a golden (yellow with shades of amber-orange) color with a uninspiring wispy head. Lots of suspended matter in this brew. For sure, it’s not particularly pretty. Aroma of alcohol, yeast, malt, and a wild background of sour-spiciness. The smell is actually pretty nice. There’s a big, intense malty sweetness. That, coupled with a sharp alcohol warming are the centerpieces of this beer. They don’t particularly blend well with the aroma. It’s a thick, syrupy brew. It’s certainly a Belgian style beer, but it doesn’t meet the bar set by the style. Generally, I’ve been very happy with Victory. Unfortunately, this one is way off the mark.

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottled Jan 4, '05

Pours a deep golden yellow color with a decent white head which dissipates within a minute.

Aroma- a nice blend of malt, spices (particularly coriander), fruity esters, some candi sugar and a slight amount of alcohol. These items are in good proportion to one another but the overall impression should be more pronounced than it is.

Nice body, but the alcohol tends to dominate the palate. Bitterness is also out of balance- a bit high.

This is a good beer, though I'm not sure I'd call it a Tripel- it is almost too cautious in its approach. A stronger aroma and flavor profile would help balance out the alcohol presence.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Recieved as part of Secret Bunny. Pours a slighty hazy straw color, into my big wine glass. Good head to start, but it seems to fade rather quickly. Minimal to moderate lacing as well. Aroma and taste go together. Fruity, I get a slight peach/tangerine taste here.
*Rant On*
My favorite part of this beer though is the carbonation level and mouthfeel. I've had too many belgian beers that are overcarbonated and drier than death valley. This beer is well carbonated, but not annoyingly so. The flavor hits you and then goes away, but it doesn't leave a mouth puckering dryness behind. This beer gets very high marks from me for that.
*Rant Off*

Another winner from Victory.

3.44/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I'd seen a lot of hype for this East Coast beer, and I have to say I'm disappointed...

Pours a beautiful, lucidly clear, pale straw, but it pushed up a scant one finger of soapy head that rapidly dissipates.

The aroma is of lemon, grass, and some slight spice (pepper?) Overall, it's really very saison-esque.

Initially the alcohol seems apparent, though it fades. Coriander is prominent, and the hopping is noticable (in a tripel?!) There's a slight lemon tartness, continuing the saison parallel. It's not an unpleasant flavor profile, but ultimately it's rather simplistic and boring, and woefully out-of-character for a tripel.

The mouthfeel is one of the weirdest aspects of the beer. Tripels are supposed to be dry, but this is *vacant.* It just feels thin, but also somewhat rounded, as would a beer with residual sugar. I can't make any sense of this...

Ultimately, this is a good beer. Good enough that I could see myself drinking a lot of it. However, it's a drastic failure as a "tripel." Rating it against the style, I can't help but slam it a little...

4.17/5  rDev +12.7%

Pouring a golden honey color into a tulip glass, it pours with a 1/4 inch head that is rather thin with some decent cling to the glass- maybe a slight haze to this one. Aroma is some hops along with a strong sense of white grapes, vanilla, and spice (cloves/nutmeg). Alcohol burns the nostrals a bit also. Taste is mainly of cloves (spice), which was nice, along with the grape flavor and a slight hoppy finish. The alcohol comes through on flavor at the end as well with a nice drying effect. The carbonation plucks the tip of your tongue, but then gets very smooth throughout in the middle with a drying alcohol finish. Overall, I love Victory and find anything they produce fun to drink! Yes have some!!!

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a golden, near honey color. Smells spicy but with a hint of sweetness as well. Strong alcohol aroma. Tastes sweet, but also very strong alcohol flavor. Unlike other beers I've had. Mouthfeel is good, fairly thin. Drinkability not bad, not the best thing in the world but decent if you want something different. Tasty for what it is.

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance: Dark gold in color with little head which dissipated almost immediately. Lacing is there as you sip, but falls rather quickly. Smell: Spicy with hints of orange and definitely yeasty. I'm starting to smell the bouquet now as it warms. Taste: Yeasty and a strong alcohol aftertaste. Not as malty as I expected. Yeah, definitely lots of alcohol as my stomach is warming up after that sip. Very sweet with herbal spice flavor. Mouthfeel: Rather nice the way it rolls off the tongue, but the alcohol aroma which comes up through the nose is a little annoying. Drinkability: Almost like a good champagne, it tastes good at first but you can't drink a lot of it.

3.31/5  rDev -10.5%

Final sampling out of the Victory variety pack...

Appearance-solid golden color, not that much of a head but exceptional carbonation and clarity.

Smell-lots of different smells going on, belgian sugar smell along with berry malt and spicy hop, a little bit of honey mixed in as well.

Taste-amazingly sugary sweet, layers upon layers of fruit flavor and berry, some hops and malt but a quite overwhelming sugary sweetness trumps all comers.

Mouthfeel-strong on the palette and way too sweet, not that unpleasent just too sweet to let everything balance out.

Drinkability-too sweet for many there are a lot of complexities and different flavors going on here yet too sugary sweet for the most part. A one time try for most.

Overall- I can certianly appreciate Victory trying this style, yet this is too sweet and thrown together for most connoisuers of this style and it is BRUTAL on those who've never tried the style before (like my father for instance) so while I give props to Victory for trying the style I can honestly say I wish this would be replaced in their variety pack. Not a bad beer in any respect, just not great for the style, although I would still love to try this on tap sometime. Drink this at room temp, it's much better than cold

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

Cloudy orange/gold pour with a small white head that is pretty foamy but disappears in a snap. Smell is yeasty and spiced, maybe with a bit of anise I wasn't expecting. Taste is also yeasty with a nice touch of hops and some spices. The only way to describe the taste is "rich." It's very sugary, but the aftertaste is pleasant and leaves some lingering orange flavors which I prefer to the actual taste of the beer. The mouthfeel is creamy. For its ABV, this is a pretty drinkable beer, as it's not really all that boozy. For me, though, it's just not as good as the rest of Victory's offerings. I wish they would pull this one out of the Variety of Victories sampler case and replace it with one of their other brews. Not terrible, but I won't be seeking it out anytime soon.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours cloudy honey colored with little head, nice lacing. Smell consists of yeasts, sweet malts, and some hops. Taste follows with nice rich yeasts, mildly sweet malts, and medium hops to round it out to a nice robust flavor. Just a bit of kick at the end. A very decent brew.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Presentation: Bottle states that it was bottled on October 21, 2004. I really dig it when bottles let you know when they were born as opposed to "freshest if drank by..." Just a style preference though. Nothing to hang your hat on...

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a bright white head. Has cool little yeasties floating in it. The head quickly disappates which is kind of a bummer but it rings the glass nicely.

Smell: Very spicy. I pick up whiffs of clove and coriander. Also, the yeast seems to be pretty up front.

Taste: Very spicy up front. It follows with some wheat bread, coriander, a little bit of pine and orange (from the hops I'm assuming), some apples and pears, with a slightly dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with up front carbonation. Coats the palate and throat on the way down. Leaves a pleasant orangey aftertaste.

Drinkability: I could easily see having a couple of these. The alcohol definitely makes an appearance as it warms up so I wouldn't drink more than two.

Notes: I'm not a big fan of Belgians and from what I've read, this is the exception and not the norm. An enjoyable beer but I still prefer my American hop bombs or my Russian Imperials. I would definitely recommend this to all.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottled Oct21 04

My first Monkey- a warm yellow-gold color.
Exceptionally fluffy white head with tenacious cling.

An interesting amalgam of spices and aroma, though I couldn't id them all. The taste was incredibly full. Sweet and yeasty, with a silky finish.

Drinkable and deceptive at 9.5%.
(The bartender told me she tries not to recommend this beer to younger beer drinkers!)

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a cloudy honey color w/ decent fluffy white head. Lacing was thin but had nice cling to my glass.
This baby smells real nice w/ spice up front...a touch of lemon and citrus. I can actually smell the carbonation on this baby, but I don't feel it will taste too carbonated.
Nope...definitely not too carbonated. This is a bit sweeter than I was expecting...certainly not surprised to taste some hops in a Victory brew.
Its aftertaste is a touch dry due to the alcohol, which becomes a bit more present as it warms up.
Despite the high ABV%, I could throw down a few of these in an evening...another keeper from Victory!

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

You gotta be ready for this one. After a few sips, your mood has been mellowed. This is a very pale light in color. But don't let that fool you, you silly monkey. There was plenty of carbonation and mouthfeel in my bottle. The lacy beads clung to the sides of the glass very nice. Some bottles I had were a little hazy. Not this one, it was crisp and clear looking. Very nice. Nice Belgian yeast and hops, although not too many hops. Or were they over powered by the pure amount of Belgian Candi added? I think it's true Belgian counterparts aren't as potent (close but not quite). It drinks very smooth for that much alcohol. Makes you want to reach for another, if you can find it.

Pours a nearly clear gold color. Some lace, but not much. Smells a bit spicy, with a little clove especially. Tastes of orange, with some spiciness, such as clove.

This is a pretty good little beer (although perhaps one best enjoyed infrequently). Very potent, with a warming quality that's perfect on a cold night here in the nation's icebox.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

from the bottle. poured a cloudy golden to honey with a white head. aroma,spicey, lemon orange rinds, cinnamon, yeast, whet, musty, and hints of alcohol. flavor, fruity, orange, dryness, some sourness, honey, spices. lemon. not to bad but I think I should of had this earlier was bottled july 20th of 04

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company