Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,707 | Hads: 5,163
3.62/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, washed-out amber with boatloads of yeast. My first bottle had a soft white head that fell quickly to one finger and resulted in a nice amount of lace. This one has almost no head and barely any lace. Weird.

The nose is fruity and smells like candied banana. On the palate, I can appreciate sugared, ripe banana as well as apple-like notes. The flavor improves as I go deeper into the bottle. Alcohol is noticeable, but not obtrusive, and the 9.5% ABV ensures that the beer is nicely warming. The mouthfeel is medium, with a slightly slick, coating finish.

Initially, I thought I prefered Golden Monkey to New Belgium's tripel, but now I'd have to say that I prefer NB's version. This is pretty good beer, but isn't one I'll look for again.

Pours a really hazy light orange with a foamy white head. Smells strongly of bannana.

The taste is very medicinal/fruity. Hard to describe. A very strong beer that doesn't hide it's alcohol, yet remains very complex. You get some bannana, clove, and bitter apple. The hops are pronounced at the end but aren't overbearing. This is a strong beer that requires strong balance.

3.36/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a golden orange color with cloudiness and tiny floating white specks. Beautiful white head that stuck around to the very bottom of the glass, great carbonation. The aroma was yeasty, bread-like, and some orange rind. The taste was a little musty, great spiciness from clove and coriander. I enjoyed the spicy aspects of this beer a hell of a lot more than the yeastiness. The alcohol level was not as overpowering as I thought it would be, well hidden. But overall, this beer failed to overwhelm me completely.

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Golden Monkey is my first from Victory brewing.

Looks terrific as it pours slightly cloudy yellow, with a terrific, tight, and static head.
Fruity alcohol smell. Strong taste
Hints at sour apple and spice.
High ABV is evident from the after effects. I'll have another, please.

Hazy scorched orange liquid with a hissing, virulent head that dissolves quickly.
Aromas of candied orange and tangerine in sugar syrup together with mild, sweet spices. Black pepper, cough medicine and hazelnuts are suggested around the perimeter. Quite a mouthful with tangy, syrupy fruit that plods along nicely.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

One of the few micros that I have had in the bottle that was better than the tap version. The golden hazy color of the bottled version is equal to the draft with a little less head, but just as much lacing. The aroma is superb when you first uncap the bottle. There is a hoppy, citrusy smell that is very enticing. It does have an alcohol aroma with its ABV being over 10%.

The taste of the bottled Monkey is really quite extraordinary. It is remindful of some of the better Belgians such as Kwak. I tasted the hoppy nature of this right away but then there is a wheaty undertone, which could as easily be a different variety of barley. The underflavors are citrus, and possibly cardamon. It is very rich in the mouth with the ability to make you want to savor it longer than is necessary to drink it.

In total, I find that Victory has not over-hyped this beer. I think it has not gotten enough press. The taste is almost addictive. At least, I hate to think that I'm coming back just for the high alcohol content. But no, it really is the definition of drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle dated July 30, 2003 tried October 29. Appearance: Golden yellow; slightly cloudy. Head fades rapidly. Smell: very spicy, some malt. Taste: Dominated by spiciness. Some malt sweetness, some earthy hops. Mouthfeel: creamy, fairly thick. Drinkability: Good, but would prefer more dryness in the beer, and would be more appropriate to style.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; "bottled on" date -- in this case Aug 15 03 -- printed on the bottom label's southwest edge; purchased as part of a ten beer "Winter Brews" sampler pack from Cost Plus for $14.99.

Appearance: Pours an orange-tinged, gold hue with a small but batter-like head; somewhat hazy; a good b-cup's worth of lace, but little in the way of head retention.

Aroma: Sweet and phenolic with notes of bananas and yeast.

Taste: Decicedly like its nose; primarily sweet and spicy; phenolic with notes of bananas, yeast, bubble gum and lemon; slightly floral with a hint of coriander; medium bodied; smooth, prickly mouthfeel.

Notes: A tad aggressive and overwhelming, but nonetheless enjoyable and challenging.

3.97/5  rDev +7%

Starting to enjoy belgians more and this falls a little short overall..the alcohol is noticable in this one...it is young though (bottled 9/8/03)...today is 10/25/03...the banana is still there in the aroma and taste....A lot of banana...Not as charged up as I remember but the alcohol seems more evident and spicy....a very good beer I'd enjoy again but I wouldn't seek out...
I don't have a lot of experience with the Belgians but this is about what I expected..banana/cloves on the aroma and the initial taste..pretty charged up carbonation wise...tastes like a Belgian...has a high alcohol content but it is not overwhelming on the taste...It has a hint of alcohol/warming effect but doesn't taste real heavy of alcohol...actually pretty smooth and easy drinking....overall a very interesting beer definitely worth trying...not one I would drink a lot of, but a nice change of pace...

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a nice golden copper color with a thin amount of head thought there was a lot of carbonation. Decent armoa but I thought it was a little week. Slightly hoppiness but mainly a spicy type smell. The taste was good with a good balance of malt, spice, and bitternss. Hints of fruit and yeast. Not to strong for such a high alcohol beer.

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice golden color with a thin head. Nice carbonation in the glass. The aroma was slightly yeasty, but some citrus overtones were apparant. The taste was similiar, very smooth but sporting a nice balance of malt, bitterness, yeast, and citrus. Very dry and somewhat crisp on the tongue. One of Victory's best efforts.

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

This brew poured a beautiful cloudy, golden liquid. The aroma while pouring was very fruity. It formed a nice white head, probably half-an-inch thick.

The head quickly dissipated, but left a thin lace on the glass. The word to describe this tripel is "fruity". And I mean that in the best way possible. Any description of the taste of this brew should include the phrases "liquid bread", "yeasty", and "fruity" in it.

The yeast esters, maltiness, and hint of warming alcohol in this brew make this a wonderful example of the tripel style of beer. I will relish finishing off this six pack! What higher praise is there?

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%

Hazy golden ale with an orange hue. White head dies quickly leaving but a disorganized white film. Has a wonderful peppery spicy aroma. Has a creamy mouthfeel that is velvety and smooth. Very nice. This is a very nice Tripel. Terrific flavor that is fruity, spicy and has a good yeasty malty thing going on. It's great to see an American brewer do well at a non-Ameriacan style.

4.08/5  rDev +10%

Appearance – Amazing bright orange color with a good-sized head.

Smell – Big, serious yeast aromas immediately fill the nose. There’s some wonderful tropical fruit in there to include orange, peaches, melons, and even a dash of coconut juice.

Taste – This one delivers big time. The bready yeast is strong but balanced. The fruity flavors keep things even and the mild alcohol notes remind the drinker of the 9.5 ABV.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and medium to full in the body. This one is thick and chewy. It’s dinner in a glass.

Drinkability – This was ideal. It went down like a true Abbey Tripel. It was exceptionally smooth, energetic, and right on style. Awesome!

Update – I revisited this in 2004 and was even more impressed with the way Victory put this one together. After attending the 2004 Belgian Beer Fest and sampling many American efforts at the style I’ve come to reallly appreciate this offering from the V. I was particularly impressed with the Mouthfeel and am raising that score by 0.5.

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

We all know that Victory is an undeniably world-class brewery, but I still don't know how they managed Golden Monkey. It runs with Belgium's best and is easily the best tripel I've ever ever had. The Belgian-style taste is taken to a new level by an exceptional fruitiness that I consider to be unequalled by any other Belgian-style beer. Honestly, when it comes to tripels, this is paramount. The strong, alcoholic smell is deceiving compared to the sweet and yeasty taste. This beer has everything Belgium has to offer and more; only the greatest trappists can top this brew. With regard to the Victory brewery, I think Golden Monkey rivals Storm King in terms of general appeal.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

This Monkey pours a light gold color. I gave it a hard, rapid pour and this brew did produce a semi decent head, but it faded quickly. The color is a sight bit hazy. The aroma reminds me of green apples with tones of yeast and citrus hidden. Taste is smooth; there is a bit of a malt flavor with the green apples mixed in with a very slight yeast zing near the end. The flavor does masks the alcohol in this brew. There is always bubbles moving to the top of the glass and it has a very nice creamy smooth mouthfeel. A very enjoyable brew and easy to drink. I could easily enjoy more than one of these, no problems.

3.56/5  rDev -4%

Honey colored and surprisingly tasty. Fairly sweet yet a dry honey aftertaste. This beer really sneaks up on you strength-wise, since the malt covers the alcohol taste well. I would recommend it if you want a strong sweet beer and are only having one.

4.06/5  rDev +9.4%

Golden color, slightly hazy. Medium head. Aroma is fruity and a touch floral. Big bold beer with complex flavors. Tastes like a triple wit. Sweet and spicy with fruity and yeasty flavors. Sour apples, grapefruit, mango, coriander and etc etc. Tart and sweet. Both malts and hops and sweet and tart nicely balanced. Very tasty beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet and tart.

2.12/5  rDev -42.9%

This is an embarrassing attempt at a Belgian Tripel, laughable. Sweet, sweet bready malts, really sticky, toilet cleaner flavours, one dimentional and boring, i liked the yeast character though, but thats the only positive. The yeast tastes Belgian, but the rest of the beer doesn't, seems a bit out of place to me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a 12oz. brown bottle (same as in pic) with a "bottled on" date of 09-09-02 on it. Poured a nice hazy golden color with a foamy, bubbly whitish head and a large column of bubbles rising up from the middle of the glass.
Smell: WTF?! Okay, maybe this is a bad bottle. This had a sour, vinegary aroma overriding the spicy pepper and alcohol notes. Smelled vaguely rotten.
Taste: seriously, what is this? Tastes of red vinegar, pepper and alcohol - a sour, acidic, citrusy melange that was distasteful.
Feel was full, bubbly and dry.
I have to guess this was a bad bottle. If it's not, this would rank as one of the worst I've let past my lips. Lord knows I tried my best but ended up dumping the last 6oz. Golden Monkey's appearance and mouthfeel are quite appealing. However, the slightly rotten sourness leads me to one word: undrinkable. I'm happy I only bought one.

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Served to me at a suburban PA bar, with a pint glass next to it. Hmm. Well, judging by the rest of the joint, I was shocked they had this, so I wasn't going to complain about glassware. Still, should be noted for the rest of the review.

Lots of flavors here, and, I thought it was a bit all over the place. Definate taste of sweet overly ripe fruit here at the start, almost rotten fruit, but not in a bad way. Major players are pear and apricot, with a caramelized banana back end.

This was a little sweeter than I would have liked, and slightly sweeter than most beers of this style. Still, a solid effort, and I'd have this again.

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Another victory for Victory! Thoroughly enjoyable. I was a little apprehensive going in, having tasted a Corsendonk, which I found too "champagne-y" for my liking. The Victory was smoother and more doughy, creating a nice drinkability for so potent a brew. I could have had another but I would have been sleeping in my chair for the night. Overall, the spiced fruit flavors are there but not overpowering. I will have a hard time keeping this "monkey" off my back.

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden hue with a steady stream of carbonation present. Fizzy white head dissipates into almost nothing, although the thin ring of head does leave sparse lacing down the chalice. Yeasty, doughy nose features notes of fruity esters and alcohol. Passion fruit, apple, pear, apricot, yeast, sugar, and alcohol all appear in the taste department. Overall, this is a fruity, sweet tripel-style with the high abv covered by lots of candy sugar. Finishes very sweet with the sugar and alcohol making the most impact. Mouthfeel is quite carbonated, almost too overly so. This is a fairly drinkable tripel, but one that is a bit too sugary to be incredibly enjoyable. Even so, this is a tasty creation.

4.54/5  rDev +22.4%

This is a goofy beer. I started drinking this stuff about a year ago and it did me. Then the bad batch appeared. It was STANKONIA!!! I poured it out and tried again. STANKONIA again!!! I emailed those guys at Victory and told them. They emailed me back and apologized and said they were correcting the problem. I brought the beer back to Sam's (in Chicago) and they credited me (truly, Sam,'s is fair). So...now...I'm back to drinking this fool and it is worthy.
It's golden. The Head is not much.... but there. The lace is THERE! It's well intended. The truly interesting thing is its little stink. It's like perfume. Good perfume has a little rot in it. So does Golden Monkey. It tastes a little rotten too. It has a good mouthfeel. It's actually quite silky. I'll keep it on hand always unless I have tricks played on me and then I'll have to make the trip to Downington. Drink this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have previously had this on tap at Victory's brewpub. The bottled version doesn't appear to drastically differ from the tap version, except that the head was a bit weaker. The beer is a rich, hazy golden color with a bit of a head. The aroma is spicy, floral and fruity. Coriander is the most evident. Wonderful taste and mouthfeel. Complex, yet mellow taste. Alchohol evident, but subtle in taste. I've convinced my local packy to carry this, albeit on a rotating basis. Very much like Duvel. A superb beer!

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company