Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
nimrod979

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

On tap @ Bulls & Bears. Poured a slightly hazy gold. Average white head. Didn't last too long.
Light bready, yeasty banana aromas.
Flavor is a mix of spicy and sweet. Belgian spices mixed with sweeter German0style malts. Banana and clove flavors.
Rather light bodied and carbonated. The alcohol seems to kind of dominate the palate however. Not that I'm really complaining...
Quite an awesome beer. I really enjoy this one.

09-27-2011 22:07:15 | More by nimrod979
sodiepop

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

From the bottle, golden and semi-hazy body with a fluffy white head. The head settles out to a nice cap with some lacing. The aromas mimic some qualities of traditional Belgian made Tripels but this is certainly anything but textbook to the style. Spicy yeast, candi sugar, sweet light malts and touches of alcohol fill the nose. The taste is similar but the booziness seems to be more pronounced. More spice, yeast, banana and hints of green apple. It feels overly bubbly, maybe a bit less would give it a creamier mouth. Nonetheless, a solid favorite especially for an American brewed Tripel.

09-26-2011 22:14:35 | More by sodiepop
eric5bellies

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Drank from my Duvel tulip

A - Slight hazy Golden colour with a large bubbled white head that dies quickly to a very thin non lacing film.

S - Sticky candied sugar and some light sweet honey citrus.

T - Up front some mild hop and some spicey notes follow before a sticky sweetness on the bitter finish.

M - Light to medium body with medium carbonation.

O - Not good enough to call an authentic tasting Belgian Tripel. Lacks the complexity of a true tripel.

09-26-2011 11:52:56 | More by eric5bellies
ehammond1

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle (2011)

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Clear golden yellow with a thick, persistent white head. Not much lacing at all left down the glass. Looks too thin for a tripel.

Sweet citrus aroma, a touch of peppery spice, banana, and Belgian yeast. Comes together nicely.

A full flavor and a somewhat sweet tripel. Lots of sugar, reminds me of sweet banana and orange rock candy, though the Belgian yeast is also powerfully flavorful and provides some attempt at balance. Moderate bitterness. A nice tripel.

Far too thin of a body for the style.

A decent tripel. Lots of flavor and a particularly good aroma, hurt only, though significantly, by its thin mouthfeel.

09-25-2011 21:30:09 | More by ehammond1
ADZA

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a hazy pale golden hue which leaves a two finger sudsy head with sporadic clingy lacing,the smell is strong bananna,belgian yeast,doughy bread and spices,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and has tastes of banana,herbal flowery hops,belgian yeast and finished with a sweet candy finish and overall alright without being great cheers.

09-25-2011 05:22:53 | More by ADZA
katybee

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

wow, this is good stuff!

pours mellow golden yellow, a bit hazey, with thick creamy foam head. beautifully framed by the Chimay chalice it was poured in.

very light smell, of peppery spices and wheatiness....no hops to speak of.

lovely taste. lightly peppery spicey, with biscuity softness, creamy sweetness, lightly fruity, with slight banana esther.

lightly creamy mouthfeel, med-light bodied.

deceptively drinkable, with higher abv hidden in sweet creaminess. very good value compared to other expensive imperial and Belgian ipa's.

A++ !!!

09-24-2011 08:43:48 | More by katybee
TheAlamoWrocker

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Snifter.

Appearance

This pours a nice amber shade with a Fulvous look as well. The head is barely there even on the pour. This head didn't even fill up the head of the glass. The carbonation is rising nicely. It seems as if that rising carbonation will never leave.

Smell

An alcohol smell is what I smell straight off, but it doesn't smell too strong or prominent. It does have a nice spice smell, but I honestly have no clue what it is. Some floral smells are here, but the spices easily dominant over it.

Taste

Does this actually taste like bananas? I think it does, but damn that might just be some spices that are blended just that well. The alcohol taste is quite present before the swallow and especially after the swallow. The taste is obviously of a Belgian style and damn are they right on.

Mouthfeel

The mouthfeel is crisp and damn is it memorable. I could only assume it's the alcohol content that makes this crispness possible. The carbonation is heavily there and damn who care about having a soda after a Tripel with this taste and actual cost.

Overall

Why would I want to get there with mixed drinks when I can get there with Tripels. This is easy to drink and damn does the taste hit throughout the drink. If you want to get drunk this is the drink to get there. If you don't want to get drunk then I suggest you stay clear of this drink because if you buy a pack of this it will get you there and beyond.

09-22-2011 12:00:37 | More by TheAlamoWrocker
jdense

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

750 corked and caged Belgian bottle enjoyed 9.19.11, poured into Chimay chalices.

Bottle conditioning resulted in billowing white head first pour, a bit more controlled on second glass over medium gold body, the etched bottom of chalice resulted in constant stream of carbonation rising from bottom of glass. Not much going on in the nose, might have been poured a bit too cold, picked up good dose of coriander once warmed, floral hops. Taste started off pretty innocuous, coriander forward, faint bit of orange peel after warming but not very much Mouthfeel just on the light side of medium, good effervescence. The relative lack of fruitiness inhiibited drinkability despite relative cheap price point. I'll pass next time.

09-20-2011 21:20:46 | More by jdense
DannyDan

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours out a light golden hue with a thick creamy white head that disappears quickly leaving a thin head that has really excellent retention and lacing. The carbonation is also good on this one. The aroma is candy, hops, and some fruits. The taste starts out with some hops followed by some sweet malts and some fruits throughout (primarily apples and bananas). The taste finishes off with a mix of fruit and hops. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. A very easy drinking beer that hides the 9.5% abv very very well. A great beer that I'll be drinking again. Another Victory for Victory Brewing Company.

09-16-2011 02:11:07 | More by DannyDan
Flightoficarus

Washington

3.68/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a clear, golden hue, with a moderate, creamy head, quickly receding to a medium level of lacing.

S - Smell is primarily of Belgian yeast and candi, with notes of apple, apricot, and honey.

T - Taste if of Belgian candi/yeast, spicy floral hops, bready/honey like malts, notes of apple and citrus fruits. Mild alcohol burn. Almost bordering on Belgian IPA territory, but not quite.

M - Full bodied, moderate carbonation, creamy.

O - Overall, a strong, pretty good tripel. Can't really go wrong for the money here.

09-12-2011 04:11:03 | More by Flightoficarus
hiku7

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Pours a translucent light amber, with a frothy white one-finger head that dissipated quickly but could be revived with a gentle swirl.

Smell is funky, bubble gum, bananas, and heavy spice. Also phenols present, maybe some orange rind and a light malt background. Taste is similar, but is somewhat overwhelmed by a strong spice finish that has the effect of replacing a hop bite. To my taste, the spice was too strong.

Mouthfeel is creamy and slightly sweet. Not hot; the high abv was well hidden.

Overall, the spice aftertaste overwhelmed the beer and though it was a creative approach, left it only decent.

09-08-2011 03:00:19 | More by hiku7
Callaghan

Georgia

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a my Chimay Chalice. I really like this glass.

A: I poured this both ways, vigorously, and easy. Vigorously, a one finger head was produced; a smoother pour produced virtually no head. This review is based on the rougher pour. As a result, the one finger head disappeared within the minute. The brew is a hazy light golden color, with a slight orange hue. There were quite a few particles floating around, and I'm not sure what exactly what they were either, maybe yeast, maybe dried fruit. I wasn't impressed.

S: I could smell alcohol, and some spices. After a good swirl, alcohol became more present, and bananas and apricots. Yeast is hidden, or this doesn't have a lot of it.

T: This reminds me more of a Strong Pale Ale, not a Triple. Belgian style is loosely used here. I can taste the Belgian yeast, and then big bitterness, like it has a lot of hops. I think the yeast is too strong. It overpowers just about everything else, except the bitterness at the finish, and that just lingers around for a little while. I can't really taste what this beer has to offer, which is a shame, because I swear there are hints of other flavors in there, but they are too faint to taste.

M: The best part of this beer by a long shot. It dances in the mouth quite nicely. Carbonation is very little, and it is medium-full bodied. If the bitterness at the finish was a little more balanced, maybe with some sweetness, I would really enjoy this. This slides across the tongue with ease, and leaves a little twinge after it's gone.

O: I don't care for this one. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. I'm trying to think of good things to say about this beer, but nothing really comes to mind.

09-08-2011 01:08:26 | More by Callaghan
BryanRex

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Clear yellow/orange with plenty of carbonation (compared to the bottle version). Noisy head that disappointed into thin lace.

S - Citrus and bananas with hints of yeast and bread.

T - Pretty much the same as the smell with a slightly disappointing aftertaste compared to other tripels.

M - Incredibly light bodied with no indication that this is a 9.5 beer. Dangerous!

O - Feels like a standard pale ale, and regardless of the other reviews I feel this is an incredibly smooth beer. Definitely one of my favorite American beers along with Weyebacher's Merry Monks. Best bang for your buck on the market.

Serving type: growler

Serving type: growler

09-06-2011 03:56:45 | More by BryanRex
jcartamdg

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Clear golden in appearance, no head at all in my ccb snifter. Aroma is bold of fruits and spices common to the style. Taste follows the nose, pretty easy to drink, hides the alcohol well where at 9.5% this could be dangerous. As with this style the larger bottle conditioned corked and caged bottle is far superior to the 12oz bottles

09-06-2011 01:33:01 | More by jcartamdg
jsisko01

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance - Pours an orange-gold color with a small head.

Smell - Smells very spicy but I can't distinctly tell what's there..

Taste - I taste a lot of of hops and spices. Seems like I'm tasting cloves and other strong spices. This beer actually made me feel light headed after a few sips. It starts out a little sweet while sipping it and then has a pretty bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Too much carbonation, it has a light feel but instantly foams up in the mouth.

Overall - I don't really like this beer because of all the spices. I can't handle it with my acid reflux lol.. But if you like spicy, bitter beer then this is for you

09-05-2011 02:21:58 | More by jsisko01
skibumma70

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Smells of spices, bananas,cloves
Appearance, hazy, very light head that went away quickly, very little bubbles or carbonation. Very surprised considering many people reported heavy carbonation and thick head.
Taste of belgian sugar, light, but almost flat tasting.. Disappointing..
Mouthfeel was on the flat side, but not completely.. A bit sugary..
Overall I was very disappointed,, I love all of the Victory beers I have tried so far, and this was the worse by far. Maybe it was an old bottle I got, or hope that is the case. Surprised because of the all the other good reviews.

09-05-2011 00:40:24 | More by skibumma70
Rifugium

2.05/5  rDev -44.3%

First had: bottle from Westgate Pub, Havertown, PA

Not a fan of this. It seems more of a "strong blonde ale" if anything, but not really comparable to a good authentic Belgian tripel. I don't like to bad-mouth Victory, but there you have it.

Pours clear golden yellow with a moderate head that typically displays some decent lacing. Vaguely yeasty aroma, banana and cloves, but on the light side. Tastes a bit chemical-y, biscuity, with banana and spice notes, alcohol is not hidden. Medium-bodied, and not too drinkable in my book, though it seems the ladies tend to like it. ?

09-02-2011 00:59:33 | More by Rifugium
cwguy5

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Sampled on 10.24.10. Reviewed from notes.

A - clear, light yellow/golden color; one finger head quickly faded
S - light, sweet with herbal notes
T - spicy and herbal tripel bodering on medicinal; long, acutely bitter finish
M - nicely carbonated and thin bodied; crisp; bitter, herbal linger lasted way too long
D - not my favorite domestic tripel; too much bitter taste and too many herbs and spice

09-01-2011 04:04:00 | More by cwguy5
rickyleepotts

Arizona

Man, it feels like it’s been forever since we sat down with a beer. I was out of town for a few days last week and this weekend, so that’s partly why. I was out of town on business, but I am back! Back until we leave again next weekend for New York City. Maybe we can find a craft brew from the Big Apple.

Tonight we are drinking a brew from Victory. I didn’t realize they were such a new brewery. I like pretty much everything they produce, and I am sure this won’t be any different. It’s pretty high in alcohol too, and I love the logo! That is one cute monkey. Let’s see what she smells like:

In the Glass: It looks flat, with almost zero head. The tasting notes said it had a fluffy head that stuck to the glass… unless this is really old or something, it’s not got a head at all. I hope it doesn’t taste flat as it looks in the glass. Let’s see what she smells like. (That sounds horrible.)

Nose: It smells like a typical Tripel. I am not a huge fan on Tripels, but I like the high ABV. It has a subtle nose, almost burnt caramel… it hits the nostrils and then is gone just as fast. It’s not a deep seeded, memorable smell by any means. I like everything that Victory produces, so I hope they don’t let me down with the monkey!

Flavor: It starts out weak, but as it moves across the palate it perks up a bit. It slides down the throat with ease, and doesn’t have any carbonation. For a beer that is this big, I am sort of glad that it doesn’t have a lot of carbonation. Toward the back of the palate it almost gets bitter, or dry… something weird, not expected from this brew. But I will agree, it is very drinkable. You would have no idea it was nearly 10% in alcohol.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It hits the front of the tongue, and rushes toward the back of the palate so fast there isn’t time for a mouthfeel. I would say this is the least mouthfeel I have ever had in a beer. If you switch is around in your mouth, to add some forced carbonation, a lot of the flavors really open up. It’s almost a different experience when you do that. But the only reason I figured that out was being bored with it at first.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is weak, and just sits there on the back part of the tongue. I’m telling you though, this beer has nothing to get excited about. Seeing as how I love Victory, I hate to say that… but this beer bores me. The aftertaste, if there is one at all, is not a typical Tripel aftertaste. It’s weak, has some of those burnt caramel notes, and is so weak you almost forget it’s there.

I told you I was going to write in this new style… but I must admit, I had to go back and see the order. I wasn’t sure where we started. Hopefully before long it’s second nature. I wouldn’t order this beer again, but hey… there are 1001 bottles in this project. I can’t like them all!

08-29-2011 02:32:17 | More by rickyleepotts
rowingbrewer

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer pours a golden straw color with a little bit of haze. The smell is lightly society and anod a little sweeter than most triples. The flavor is pretty well balanced between malt and spiceyness. The mouthfeel is a little fuller than the style. Over all a decent beer

08-25-2011 21:23:30 | More by rowingbrewer
avaldivia

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured 12oz bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Golden hay color. Very hazy with a decent size head. Little retention or lacing.

S: Very citrusy and spicy. Some really good yeasty notes.

T: Same as the smell. Very nice spice notes. I know it is at least decent when my roomates taste it and turn away in disgust saying, that is too flavorful.

M: Very light and crisp. Very well carbonated. Very refreshing.

O: No!!! I spilled the majority of it while trying to catch a football. I as really liking it and now it is gone. Good crisp beer to drink when it is hot out. I will have to pick up a sixer of this next time.

08-25-2011 04:42:22 | More by avaldivia
morebeergood

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Served on tap at the Millwood Tavern in Gloucester. Arrived in a Duvel Green tulip glass. Dull golden yellow color. A thin white head, but nothing spectacular. Smell was sugary and malty. I enjoyed the flavor a lot though. There was plenty of that Belgian candy sugar taste that I love. Plus, hints of citrus and licorice. Mouthfeel was crisp for a tripel, not bready like other examples. The abv was hidden on the palate, but it sure caught up quickly. Very noticeable after half a glass. For an American version, this tripel is one of the better examples out there for me.

08-23-2011 23:31:51 | More by morebeergood
Burt

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Served in a chalice.

Orange yellow that is slightly hazy, big off white and thick head that disperses slowly and leaves light lacing.

Yeasty spiciness, light banana with some alcohol.

Banana with some spiciness and bitterness finishes almost dry with a light alcohol burn.

Good beer that is 9.5%, could barely taste the alcohol. Very easy drinking that goes done very smoothly.

08-23-2011 21:07:57 | More by Burt
Bfarr

Washington

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Hazy effervescent yellow orange, tight white head and great retention. Yeasty sweet with light fruit aromas. Yeasty alcohol and light apricot with a slightly salty/herbal finish. Sharp feel, slightly foamy.

A pretty basic tripel that’s not very easy to drink but okay to sip. Mostly yeast and herbal flavors that mellow a bit to an almost balanced sweetness.

08-23-2011 02:16:00 | More by Bfarr
Krakistophales

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pours orange with a bit of a white head that disappears quickly, but has great carbonation

S: Pretty muted nose. A touch of orange zest, bit of spice, maybe a hint of cider, but that's it.

T: Also pretty bland. Starts off with a bit of orange and spice, with the middle turning into a touch of bready/yeasty flavor, and finishes with a pretty nasty bitterness that's left in your mouth. I don't understand it.

O: Probably the worst tripel I've ever had. Oh well, it's only a bomber.

08-22-2011 00:38:33 | More by Krakistophales