Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Look: This is where this beer really shines. The beer pours smooth, golden, with a thick, creamy head that is present throughout. Not much lacing but it retains a wonderful head. Cloudy golden color with excellent carbonation. Very appetizing.

Smell: The thing that immediately hits me is how I'm reminded of Duvel with this smell... only somewhat more sweet. Citrus-y and spicy at the same time but not overpowering.

Taste: Banana, biscuit malt and wheat are persistent throughout. Some very nice spice kicks in at the end. Some hoppy bitterness is present. Overall it's very well-balanced. The taste of clove is a bit strong for me, but not excessively sweet.

Feel: Coats the mouth very well. Thick with a good spicy kick. Very smooth, and as many have noted, the 9.5% alcohol is masked very nicely.

Overall: This is a solidTripel. I had tried this a few times previously and it never wowed me. This time around I took my time with it and I have to say I enjoyed it more. Every time I take a sip, I can't help but think of Duvel. I might get killed for saying that... but I definitely think it has some similarities. It's not a go to for me as I still enjoy La Fin Du Monde and Chimay Cinq Cents. So yeah... a good but not great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

I believe that this is a high powered beer brewed in the Belgian trippel fashion. I received this beer when I told my waitress that I liked American double IPA's . She was way off but this is a great tasting beer light but with a kick. It is perfect for drifting off into oblivion on a hot summer day after a long bike ride or a round of golf. Taste fruity and finishes smooth. Good malt taste at 9+abv. You would expect an alcohol taste yet it is masked quite well. Cheers.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

Golden yellow in color with perfect clarity. Poured with a frothy white foam that reduced to a thin wispy cap. Banana and earthy spicy aroma are dominant with biscuity malt and yeast beneath. Medium bodied with rich, aggressive, tangy carbonation. Spicy flavors up front that last throughout. Sweet fruit and banana flavors in the background at the beginning that slowly grow to the end. Yeast and light biscuit malt backbone throughout. Banana flavors intensify a this warms as well as the higher booze content. Enjoyed this immensely. Glad that Victory is a local brewery.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company