Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
SassyBootblack

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at the local Old Chicago, bless their hearts. I feel like this stands taller in my memory than when I had this in the bottle ages ago.

Appearance: A crystal clear gold color. Thin white head.

Smell: Phenols and, I'm guessing, some sort of noble hop.

Taste: Big pepper and phenol taste. Sweet pilsner flavor to counteract dryness.

Mouthfeel: Approriately thin for a tripel.

Drinkability: Dangerously drinkable, like all good strong Belgians.

11-11-2010 17:59:32 | More by SassyBootblack
YouSkeete

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Cloudy yellow with an orange hue. Medium head, some lacing.

S: A combination between a very floral aroma and a heavy malty/bocky/yeasty character. Peppery and pretty hoppy.

T: The initial sip is very fruity and rolls into more of a bready and malty taste. Apples are a big part of the flavor, and coriander is what i was getting the peppery scent from. Not very spicy, and more on the sweet side. Clove also plays a critical part in this brews flavor. A great dry hoppy finish.

M: Medium-to-light body, high carbonation, ABV isn't that noticeable.

D: Easy drinker. Doesn't really pack a punch, but it's a quality beer.

11-07-2010 22:55:56 | More by YouSkeete
rmolledo

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Golden slightly hazy. Big white fast fading head.

S: Pilsner Malts, Spicy Yeast Character. Peppery

T: Pilsner Malt, Slight Munich Character. Spicy mid flavor.
Good bitterness. Slight hop flavor.

MF: High Carbonation, Dry Finish

D: Excellent Tripel. Slightly Warming but isn't that the point? good beer.

11-07-2010 01:23:00 | More by rmolledo
jadpsu

Georgia

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: average ... a cloudy golden colour topped with a thin white lace, that has less than average head retention.

Smell: Aroma is not to my liking as I am getting gloves, and when I get cloves, it seems that nothing else comes through.

Taste: OUCH! Does the brewmaster have a love affair going with gloves! Man that is not good.
My dislike of cloves probably means I should just disqualify myself from rating this beer.

Sorry, I will do it anyway and since I can't get past the heavy cloves I will just say the rest of the beer is not up to average.

Hey, it may not be fair but I can not believe the brewmaster leaned so heavily on the clove spice. Gives me a headache.

11-02-2010 23:43:55 | More by jadpsu
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Spices. They don't mention which, but we'll see how we go with it anyway. Head is crackling and large and almost more white than I've seen from any other beer. It's really quite bright, light and blank, made up of large bubbles that sizzle themselves into oblivion. Body is a very pale and clear yellow colour, and the carbonation speeds through the thin body, trying in vain to keep the loose-bubbled head alive.

Funky nose, big on Belgian notes, but extremely phenolic. Meatiness, a little clove, sandalwood incense, crushed grass and something even more organic comes through. It's quite a classic Belgian nose, obviously brewed with a genuine yeast strain. They've done a reasonably good job of it as well - I feel as though something's missing, but I have a hard time working out what it might be, and as a result I think it ends up pretty good on the nose.

Taste is also pretty true for a Belgian styled ale. Quite light on the body, but that's to be expected, slightly phenolic flavours throughout, with spice reaching up to abrade the palate, and a pleasant bitter almond character on the finish. Feel is surprisingly flat for a beer with such lively carbonation, but the lightness in the body compensates for the somewhat sharp flavour profile.

It's an interesting brew, but not something I'd necessarily seek out again. There are better Tripels out there, especially from the Belgians themselves, and while this is a fair representation, it's also something that doesn't need to exist.

10-28-2010 04:39:20 | More by lacqueredmouse
claspada

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aromas are of sweet malts that transform into a slight spicy hop smell as well as some yeasty phenols and fruity esters. Slight breadiness throughout, nothing too overpowering, by far the highlight of this beer for me.

The tastes begin with spicy and floral hops which then lend to the sweet malts. Small hints of fruit esters one would expect from a Belgian. The beer is rounded out with an enhanced alcohol taste and slightly bitter finish. Most alcohol I have tasted in a triple to date. Leads me to believe it was not crafted with the same care as it's Belgian counterparts.

Overall this beer has some spots in the taste profile bring down the rating in this category. Much better examples exist, even many US examples. It's only main redeeming fact is that it comes in a 12 oz bottle vs most tripels that you have to buy in huge 750 ml bottles.

10-26-2010 17:47:35 | More by claspada
jettjon

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

From a 12 oz. bottle marked "Enjoy by Sept 15 2013" into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!). It's a bright golden color with a few yeasties and lively carbonation. Thick creamy white head fueled by lively carbonation remains solid all the way to the bottom. Nice looking brew! Nose of spicy coriander and clove, as expected. No real alcohol on the nose, which is somewhat surprising considering 9.5% ABV. In the mouth, it's crisp and clean with spicy hops up front, balanced only slightly against a malt backbone. The whole deal is quickly overshadowed by assertive alcohol, biting, boozy, and slightly astringent. Mouth is bubbly and crisp, which mainly serves to intensify the alcohol burn. Very high carbonation doesn't detract unless you have a problem with that sort of thing. Drinkability is OK but sadly the strong alcohol presence detracts.

Overall: Decent taste overall, overly boozy for a tripel. Certainly a far cry from the best of the style.

On a side note, I made the mistake of not checking the ABV on these before drinking five. As a general rule, it's always nice to know what you're up against in the alcohol content department before embarking upon a "session."

10-26-2010 00:51:26 | More by jettjon
Thorpe429

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a slightly dark gold with a white head and a good amount of lace. Nose is spice, alcohol, light fruits, and some grain. Taste adds a bit of clove. Feel is a bit sweet and boozy without the accompanying complexity. I would like to try this aged as it has some potenial when fresh.

10-20-2010 12:03:34 | More by Thorpe429
Buggabeer

1.4/5  rDev -62%

This was deffinetly not my style. After seeing other reviews I thought this would be a great beer. I was wrong this missed the mark for me on many levels. I thought the smell was not good and the taste was an assult on my taste buds. Again I am only giving my opinion and yes they are like A- holes we all have one and the usually stink. I think I would not like to have another one of these beers again. My friend thinks this beer is great. His taste buds must be off : ) If you are a fan of Trippels you may like this. I haven't gotten to that level yet. However I do like Quads.

10-16-2010 00:12:53 | More by Buggabeer
jmdrpi

12 oz bottle, dated best by Feb 2013, so it's 8 months old.

color is a hazy orangish straw color. nice bright white head. decent lacing.
smell is out of wheat, with herbal spice aroma. tastes is again wheaty, with big yeast flavor. same spices are in the taste, but can't quite identify, but tasty.

crisp mouthfeel, higher carbonation. clean. it's got high drinkabibilty for it's strength.

gonna throw a couple in the cellar and see about that "best by" date.

10-08-2010 23:10:10 | More by jmdrpi
RRoeb1123

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A cloudy orangish yellow, with a decent head that forms and disappears quickly. Pretty nice looking beer!

Smell: Coriander comes through, with hints of banana, and cloves, and a bit of other spice. A bit floral also.

Taste: The coriander comes through a bit, and the hops come through in a nice balanced way. You can pick up other spices as it warms slightly. Hints of banana come through on the palate, which I quite liked. Very pleasant to drink. Finish is a bit on the dry side, but it's quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is high, pleasant medium body on the palate.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, would make a good session beer, but the 9.5% says otherwise.

Verdict: A monkey with a bit of a punch!

10-07-2010 14:17:38 | More by RRoeb1123
lovetranquillity

Rhode Island

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Pretty average looking, looks like any other Belgian style. Hazy yellow with about and inch of head that quickly goes away.

S - Slightly floral ,bread , artificial banana, slight hop aroma.

T - Spices, clove, bubble gum, bread, yeast, alcohol. Hard hitting at first with the spices and alcohol as primary flavors. Slightly burns then calms down to leave a slight lingering spiciness.

M - A little bit dry, medium bodied, high carbonation.

It is a good beer and I respect Victory for making this but I do not think it is anywhere near the best of the style. It seems too unbalanced overall and not exactly a Belgian, I guess that is why they call it "Belgian inspired" on the bottle.

I would drink this if offered and will probably by it again but I will not buy it often since there are so many better.

10-06-2010 00:37:04 | More by lovetranquillity
gopens44

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

O.K., here's the thing. I don't like this style of beer, but I accidentally picked it up. Apparently while ticking, I grabbed what I thought was two bottles of Hopdevil, but Golden monkey was actually hiding behind the first devil in it's row of bottles. My bad for not checking...

With that said, I drank it anyway (why not? It is beer after all) and decided to review it based on the merits of a Tripel and not my own preferences in a beer. With that said...

A - Very impressed with the calm, hazy yet bright yellow appearance of this craft. No real head to mention, but a real treat to look at.

S - I was happy to smell a nice balance of honey, hops and barley. Very nice indeed.

T - This is where I get judicious. Knowing that the qualities of a Tripel is what bothers me, I must say that the balance of the coriander (?) and citrus along with the barley made this a very well crafted Tripel. No discernible alcohol taste despite the high ABV, and a nice bitter finish.

M - A tad dry adn once again, bitter.

D - If you enjoy Tripels, this one must be high on your list. It is a high quality Tripel with no bad or unintended tastes whatsoever.

09-29-2010 13:21:46 | More by gopens44
DoppleJock

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

09/26/2010
12 oz. bottle poured into a La Fin du Monde tulip glass.

A: Poured a cloudy citrus lemon bursting with carbonation. One-finger foamy head with lots of lacing. Great looking tripel.

S: Mix of coriander, clove, yeast, and citrus notes. Pleasant.

T: Citrusy-grains up front. The high-ABV is only slightly noticeable on the back side along with some peppery-sour notes. Not bad, but doesn't live up to the scent. Wish it was a little spicier.

M: Crisp and refreshing.

D: Looks great, smells good, tastes pretty good. A decent session beer, although you'll be buzzing after two of these. Would have this again.

09-27-2010 00:59:06 | More by DoppleJock
blivingston1985

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a goblet. Yellow with some suspended particles. Kind of looks like a pee sample from someone with a UTI. But that's gross so I digress. This is no lively beer coming from this bottle. There is plenty of carb. but not much head and it very quickly disperses to just the thinest ring around the glass. Smells of menagerie of spices, but it is hard for me to pick them out individually. Lots going on there though. Very light scent, but very busy. Alcohol is up front on this one, but it doesn't disagree with me. Citrus, spices, and a little yeastiness. Quite good, Quite drinkable. Not a very notable Triple, but well worth trying. Another worthy beverage from Victory.b

09-21-2010 17:18:12 | More by blivingston1985
bundy462

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Very clean straw color with a white head. Lacing and retention are decent.

S: Clove, yeast, spices, bubblegum.

T: Clove up front with a bubblegum like middle. Huge spice finish, but the finish is fairly clean considering the punch delivered.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, highly carbonated.

O: Good brew, can drink all day. Dangerous when considering the 9.5% ABV.

09-06-2010 19:28:20 | More by bundy462
homebrew311

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: appears a bright gold, slightly hazy- mostly clear, foamy white head, some retention

S: funky yeast, toasted bread, cloves, and honey

T: the clove character hits heavy on the front with a little bit of bitterness to balance it out, the Belgian yeast comes through and gives the beer a spicy finish

MF: high carbonation, medium body

D: this is a nice American Belgian style brew- very authentic tasting, however I have had some that are done better (Allagash comes to mind)

09-04-2010 23:46:03 | More by homebrew311
Elimination

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Look is a pale to clear yellow, thin white head, little else than a classic looking tripel

Smell is sweet sugar, butter, a bit of spice, coriander, slight lemon and citrus. a bit of fruit, maybe banana.

Taste is super sweet belgian candy sugar, sweetness also has a spicy side as well a bit of light pepper. The banana comes out a little bit as well. very good overall. Competes taste wise with quite a bit true belgian tripels I have had.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but expected, a good carbonation.

Drink is very good even with the 9.5 wish I could find this more on a regular basis, very good beer.

09-03-2010 21:24:32 | More by Elimination
tronester

Oklahoma

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a clear golden with a thin white head. Smells of dextriny malts, and a hint of molasses. Taste is very sweet cane sugar flavors up front, with a tart acidic middle, and a dry grainy finish. Very little detectable alcohol, nice! Mouthfeel is rather rich, nice low carbonation. Drinkability is really great for the ABV. This beer can trick you with its smooth drinkability, yet devilishly high alcohol! Highly reccomended.

09-01-2010 00:26:42 | More by tronester
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from bottle into my DFH Signature Glass. Bottle states "Enjoy by 2013" so I think I am OK here.

A: This beer pours a light, golden hay color that is cloudy. I don't know if it was just my bottle, but I had a good two finger head that stuck around for a while. Good lacing on the glass throughout.

S: I get a floral and spicy aroma. Different than any other Victory beers that I have tried in the past. Interesting.

T: I really do like the taste of this beer, surprisingly. I was apprehensive to try it knowing the style and reading reviews. I do get those floral/spice notes that I smelled upon drinking. Definitely get the booziness in this 9.5% beer too. It seems to be coriander that I get the most, but I might be wrong.

M: Fairly smooth beer that goes down without problem. But booze!!

D: Surprisely drinkable for the alcohol content. But this is probably a one and done for me. I did enjoy it, but my review might not show that. I am just not that into this beer brewing style. Good stab for Victory.

08-27-2010 15:20:33 | More by inlimbo77
mdaschaf

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle

A: Pours very light and cloudy with a one finger head that dissipates to a small layer of little bubbles on the top.

S: Didn't get a ton on the nose, some floral components and some yeast.

T: Definitely sweet upfront with some malts rounding it out. There is also a little bit of spice in this.

M/D: Medium bodied and pretty drinkable. The alcohol was masked pretty well though. Overall I was left underwhelmed. It seemed to be lacking in most areas. Its not a bad beer, but it isn't great.

08-27-2010 02:10:04 | More by mdaschaf
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Huge head, decent retention. Transparent golden color. Nice carbonation is present.

S: Honey malts are dominant followed by some spices. The smell is slightly floral. There is a tiny hint of something... I detect it in all victory beers I have tried... like a candy sweetness which I do not like.

T: Nice sweet malts up front; they are complex and spicy. This is followed by an alcohol kick and a little bitterness at the end. This is decently well balanced. A bit like you are drinking some type of strong nectar.

M: Smooth mouth-feel, but I detest the alcoholic kick at the end. It is quite strong.

D: This is not a session beer. Decent effort, better than the victory beers i have had so far- I must say, I am not a fan of the brewery- there is always a fake/chemical candy sweetness present in their beers...

08-24-2010 05:22:52 | More by EwaldEichstaett
BeerNemesis

Golden Monkey | 350 ml. | 9.5% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Victory Brewing Company
Style: Tripel
Glass: Pint

Presentation:
I like the golden, cyclops monkey but the blue label and distracting font detract form an otherwise awesome mascot. Try a weathered green label with golden monkey and chiseled brown font.

Appearance:
Cloudy gold with a disappointing head. As average as they come.

Aroma:
Floral and somewhat bready. Caramel pops up ever so slightly.

Taste:
Soft floral hops and some spicy bitterness + warming alcohol. There's a fine herbal note sustaining the length of the sip. Bread, yeast, and a touch of caramel. Very one-dimensional though.

Mouthfeel:
Smooth, creamy, rich, and full-bodied at the start. The finish comes in a patchy mixture of dry and oily.

Harmony:
It's drinkable but boring. The one-dimensionality and off-balance flavors don't help.

Would I get it again?:
No. It's an unbalanced Tripel, and with all the other options out there, it'd be like choosing a rickety, old rowboat over a sleek sloop at sea. Say that five times fast.

Served: August 16, 2010 @ Cookshop

08-23-2010 15:40:32 | More by BeerNemesis
aeminter

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pale gold with lots of little floaties (not right for the style, but intended by the brewer). The head is a nice white foam that dissipates quickly.

S - Slightly sweet and very clovey with just a hint of ester in the over-ripe-banana side of things and maybe some...lemongrass?

T/M - High carbonation and medium body. Definitely some malt sweetness especially in front...lots of spice though I'm having trouble picking out anything specific. I want to say coriander and clove, but that may just be because that's what I expect to find. There is also a nice alcohol warming. mmmm

08-23-2010 02:59:01 | More by aeminter
drabmuh

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Currently trying to review every beer on Beeradvocate that has more than 1000 reviews. So this goal brings me to Golden Monkey, never had it before. 12 ounce bottle poured into my DFH snifter. Beer is yellow and slightly hazy. Forms a tiny head with low carbonation and no lacing. Eh.

Aroma is mild but sweet. eh, its OK. Not impressed so far.

Eh, its kind of fruity in the back palate, medium to light in body. Nothing to see here folks. A really mediocre tripel by all measure. I guess the saving grace is that it masks the 9% ABV so well. But overall I'm not impressed. Try again Victory.

08-20-2010 03:46:04 | More by drabmuh