Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Look: This is where this beer really shines. The beer pours smooth, golden, with a thick, creamy head that is present throughout. Not much lacing but it retains a wonderful head. Cloudy golden color with excellent carbonation. Very appetizing.

Smell: The thing that immediately hits me is how I'm reminded of Duvel with this smell... only somewhat more sweet. Citrus-y and spicy at the same time but not overpowering.

Taste: Banana, biscuit malt and wheat are persistent throughout. Some very nice spice kicks in at the end. Some hoppy bitterness is present. Overall it's very well-balanced. The taste of clove is a bit strong for me, but not excessively sweet.

Feel: Coats the mouth very well. Thick with a good spicy kick. Very smooth, and as many have noted, the 9.5% alcohol is masked very nicely.

Overall: This is a solidTripel. I had tried this a few times previously and it never wowed me. This time around I took my time with it and I have to say I enjoyed it more. Every time I take a sip, I can't help but think of Duvel. I might get killed for saying that... but I definitely think it has some similarities. It's not a go to for me as I still enjoy La Fin Du Monde and Chimay Cinq Cents. So yeah... a good but not great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

I believe that this is a high powered beer brewed in the Belgian trippel fashion. I received this beer when I told my waitress that I liked American double IPA's . She was way off but this is a great tasting beer light but with a kick. It is perfect for drifting off into oblivion on a hot summer day after a long bike ride or a round of golf. Taste fruity and finishes smooth. Good malt taste at 9+abv. You would expect an alcohol taste yet it is masked quite well. Cheers.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company