Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

served in snifter

A-light straw color with thick white head that quickly disapeared.

S-sweet spicy smell with a slight fruitiness to it.

T-sweet taste to it spicy flavor with strong presence of candy sugar.

M- Medium bodied with a lingering sweet flavor

jester5120, May 19, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A. A deep gold colored beer that poured a two finger head. Doesn't retain much, but does have decent lacing throughout the journey.

S. The smell is a complex mix of dark fruits, slightly overripe bananas, malt and spices.

T. It starts out on a bitter hop note, and goes into a banana bread flavor. This is followed up with a a spiciness and ends with alcohol.

M. About average carbonation, it's a medium bodied brew that ends with an alcoholic bite.

O. Overall an interesting brew that doesn't seems as well balanced between hops and malt as other tripels. The post-hop flavor is enjoyable and the spice finish is appreciated though, and I did warm up to the alcohol finish after it warmed a bit.

CFHMagnet, May 18, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz. bottle

Appearance: Cloudy Golden Yellow with a soapy head that is 3 fingers deep

Smell: Banana with Cloves. Maybe a little bit of vanilla

Taste: Banana flavor with a spicy clove bite when the beer touches the tongue. A sweet malty flavor profile overall.

Mouthfeel: A spicy brew with high carbonation. Maybe a little bit too carbonated for all the flavors to come through.

Overall: A pretty decent Tripel but not as good as some of the oth

pratyk, May 17, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -3.8%

Best-by 10 March 2014

Pours a fairly clear rich orange-gold, capped by a moderate white head that dissipates pretty quickly.

The aroma is of soft, sweet banana, spicy phenols, a bit of warming alcohol, and a hint of butter.

As far as tripels go, this one is on the hoppy side of things. The bitterness and the spicy characteristics give this one some bite. The sweetness is appropriately assertive and stands to round off the edges. A light fruitiness of apples or pears makes it way in before the swallow. The alcohol is well-masked and is most present on the finish, which is also faintly bitter. The Golden Monkey would find its home more along the likes of Chimay and Westmalle than La Fin and Karmeliet.

The mouthfeel is big, rich, and creamy, without too much carbonation. It gets a little thinner with warming.

This is my second go at Golden Monkey, and the first time I really wasn't a fan; now, I think I can see why, but I also find it far more favorable. This beer is big and complex, but lacks the panache, so to speak, of my favorite tripels.

Sneers, May 17, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy by Feb 2 2014!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a THICK doughy head.

Smell: Sweet white wine alcohol smell. Yeasty banana aroma of a hefeweizen.

Taste: Again, yeasty banana hefeweizen flavor - only much sweeter and not nearly as sour. Alcohol presence is definitely noticeable. A heavy malt-forward ale. I cannot seem to taste the "exotic spices from the East."

Mouthfeel: A thick, heavy brew made for sipping. Some spicy carbonation.

Overall: My first foray into the Tripel category. I look forward to trying some Belgian examples of the style.

JednoPivoProsim, May 15, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Quickly builds a nice head. Mildly soapy with quite a bit of foam. Very little foam sticks to the sidewalls. Brew is very nice golden-yellow color; slightly foggy.

S - Banana scent is very forward along with cloves. Vanilla and ginger are also prevalent. Very nice scent.

T - Quite a bit of alcohol bite. Bitter due to the alcohol heat... Aside from the heat the brew drinks very nice with wonderful clovey-ness.

M - Very interesting Mouthfeel... Overly carbonated with great yeast flavor. However the over carbonation draws me away from from the wonderful flavor buried inside this brew.

O - A bit too much for me, not quite what I expected form the scent. Wonderful scent with a bit rough of a drinkability. Super glad I finally got to try this one! Good brew in a great trade!

Cheers brendaniel!

chugalug06, May 15, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -26%

Poured into a sniffer, to be honest I bought this beer to try it in a blondie recipe, which turned out really tasty.

Appearance: Pale yellow with orange hues. Initially there was a white head about two fingers worth and then fades to a thin lacing.

Aroma: Orange peel, citrus, yeast and coriander dominate.
Taste: To be honest, not really a fan. It seems to be muddled together; it is hard to distinguish between the flavors. It’s kind of messy, there is a little orange, a lot of yeast, a little bready, but nothing spectacular.

Mouthfeel: Very interesting mouthfeel, it’s relatively carbonated and yet it is still somewhat chewy. I can’t say that I’m a fan.

Overall: Not my favorite beer. I haven’t had much experience with tripels but the one’s that I have had I preferred to Victory’s offering. It’s too bad because I’m a big fan of their stuff.

jamescain, May 10, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Hazy, golden, with huge frothy white head that lasts. Decent lacing.

Pretty potent aroma. Spicy yeast leads cloud of bread and flowers.

Taste is more hoppy than bready or spicy. Good. Hops are piny and floral. Spice comes in behind then a dry finish. Slightly bready but a little thin. The pine hops just don't blend well with the yeast and spice, but the beer is still good and enjoyable. Feels like it's on the brink of becoming very good, but currently seems incomplete.

birderbeerer, May 08, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Chilled in snifter.

A: golden; very good carb streams; modest head
S: persistent Belgian-style aroma, but not very distinctive; borders on cloying
T: alcohol-heavy in flavor, distinctively a rich Belgian style; in the genre of the tripel it is neither amazing nor poor; not very complex
M: buttery, syrupy mouthfeel

Overall, a really nice beer, but don't expect an amazing tripel.

UPDATE: 18-MONTH AGED

Wow, this is amazing; plum/raisin characteristics come out, and an amazing complexity ensues. The result is a beer unlike any I've had before. The lighter Belgian flavors run nicely against the bass notes that emerge from aging. Unusual, amazing.

Arithmeticus, May 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Reviewed from notes of 3/11/11

Received from my friend Orlando in a 6 pack grab.

A = Light amber color. Lager looking in appearance. Good carbonation. 2 finger light froth. Watery lacing.

S = Belgian tripple like aroma. Alcohol aroma present. Notes of corriander and citrus.

T = Noticeable corriander, orange and apple.

M = Very smooth on the front and back end. Apple cider like body.

O = I liked this. Very drinkable. Good approach to an American brewed Belgian. Would go nicely with sushi and sashimi.

getgetgettleman, Apr 30, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured into a snifter. Best enjoyed by February, 2014.

A: Clear, mustard yellow in color, with a two finger solid white head that melted into nothing in no time at all.

S: Extreme on the spice end and then some: coriander, banana, lemon, and many others. I must say, this particular brand of Belgian funkiness was a bit off-putting with Victory's signature profile.

T: Boozy, overly sweet, overly spiced, and cloying as hell. Everything here was pretty much over the top,. It got a bit better once I got into the session a bit more.

M: It's not often that I taste a Tripel that I would describe as syrupy, but this was one of them. The carbonation was low and so was the lacing.

O: I used to like this one when I was first getting into craft beer, but now that ship has sailed.

Chaney, Apr 28, 2011

12oz bottle purchased at McKinnon's. Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow body with a good inch of off-white head. Smells fruity and yeasty with some spice notes. Tastes fruity, zesty, slightly pithy, with spicy notes, slight bit of pepper, and a hint of alcohol warming. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit of a sipper though one sip definitely invites another. A pretty decent Tripel. Better than I thought it would be.

MrHurmateeowish, Apr 28, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

12 oz. bottled poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear and golden with a not-so-fluffy looking head. It's gone quickly. Some lacing remains. Is it just me or do Belgian-style ales have difficulty retaining a head?

Smell - Spicy with a distinct yeasty aroma. Smells like a tripel. Nothing really complex. I can't pick out exactly what spices this beer claims to have in it.

Taste - Fresh, clean flavor. Slight funk and other spice notes. Again, nothing complex, but quite enjoyable. A bit bland, I guess, compared to other tripels.

Mouthfeel - Very light body with moderate carbonation. It's dangerously drinkable. I could have put away a lot of these very quickly. The downside is that it's extremely dry in the finish. It's a real turn-off.

Overall - It's good and it's easy to drink. It's nothing amazing, but there isn't anything glaringly wrong with it. I would be happy drinking this regularly.

Alieniloquium, Apr 25, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Founders pint glass. It poured a clear, golden color with a moderate, frothy white head to it.

The aroma has a decent amount of tart and crisp fruity flavor to it that mixes with a modest amount of Belgian yeast spice. I get some sweeter, pale malts to it as well giving it a pretty nice base.

The taste shows a lot of the Belgian yeast spice right off the bat. It's a little overpowering and a little harsh in the finish for the style. Midway I start to get the sweeter, pale malts and the cruis fruitiness, but the yeast spice is a little overpowering. It was also a little too bitter in the finish for me as well.

The mouthfeel is about average for the style and carbonation is moderate. Overall it wasn't a bad beer but it wasn't a great version of the style in my opinion either. The yeast spice was a little harsh and overpowering for me and i got a little too much herbal bitterness in the finish as well. Decent beer but not nearly as good as some of the best in the style.

billab914, Apr 22, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (Dated Enjoy By Nov 05 2013) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger cream-colored head that quickly bubbles down to a light dusting. The body is a hazy pale golden-color with strong carbonation bubbles. Lacing is slight.

Aromas of green apple, pear, spices, and sweet malt.

Sweet and a little tart, flavors of sour apple and clove are most apparent. A nice alcohol warmth and banana note finishes off each sip.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer washes over your tongue nicely and leaves very little stickiness. Not quite a thirst-quencher but more than a sipper, you wouldn't chug this beer, but a little sip isn't enough either.

output01x, Apr 20, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured on tap at the Yard House in Long Beach. Review is from notes.

A: Pure golden, clear with a hint of bright orange throughout.

S: Malt character comes through strongest. Hint of honey sweetness and a good spice profile.

T: Classic taste of light honeyed/spiced fruits with a touch of yeast and light bread. A hint of melon somewhere in there. Bitter note in the middle that reminded me a bit of Poperings Hommelbier.

O: Nice refreshing beer, very drinkable despite the ABV. A good example of the style.

BucBasil, Apr 20, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

A- This pours a nice Golden color with a nice 1 finger head with little lacing

S- Has a big spicey aroma aroma with alitle hit of bananna and cinnamon coming through

T- Has a very spicey/citrus flavor to it, The alchol comes through alittle bit and finish's with a fint of banna

M-Light to medium body with a nice crisp finish.

D- Overall this beer is one of the gateway beers that got me into craft beer. Im reviewing it as i had it during my 1st impression. Ive since had it in a bottle and feel it to be alittle unbalanced but on draft is it a pleasant beer to drink and with a 9.8% it will sneak up on you fast

zrab11, Apr 17, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a chalice. Pours a slightly hazed golden yellow color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is fruity malts (pear, apple), spices and Belgian yeast.

T- The taste like the aroma is fruity malts and spices with some yeast and warmth from the alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, Golden Monkey is a good beer that is worth a try if you like the style.

cjgator3, Apr 17, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

The overall smell of this beer was an overpowering amount of banana smell. After a couple of swishes around the glass and a sniff you could smell way too much sweet banana smell with a hint beligian hops. The appearance was a light opaque yellow with little bits of yeast granules leftover. The taste, for me, was too sweet. There were subtle hints of a typical belgian beer but with overpowering amounts of sweetness. As a blonde tripel I understand that it's supposed to be sweet, but I don't like when the sweetness overtakes the entire beer.

danielsonc, Apr 17, 2011

The beer pours a golden color with a huge white head. The aroma is heavy on the oranges and lemons with some bready malt. Overall, the aroma is very fruity with a little bit of alcohol.

The flavor is alcohol, oranges, lemons and a little bit of bubblegum. There is also a little bit of yeast and bready malt mixed in. Very drinkable.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Apr 16, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Glass - Snifter

A - Clear golden color with a very soapy 1-finger head that dissipated rather fast. No lacing was left on my glass but the beer remained looking somewhat lively in my glass.

S - It smells very sweet with lots of candy and banana notes everywhere. I also get clove and cinnamon with notes of banana nut bread. It smells pretty fresh with a bit of alcohol shining through all the sweet aroma's.

T - I get banana and bubble gum flavors upfront and throughout. The clove spice and bitterness seem to be competing with the alcoholic flavors towards the finish, but then some mild bready and very sugary flavors cut between both at the end. Pretty smooth for the amount of ABV but not to the extreme. As it warmed I got a bit more spice like cinnamon, and it even seemed a bit smoother tasting.

M - Soft and smooth with lite crispness and a medium body.

O - Overall this beer was good to me, it's not the best Tripel Ive had but it's good. It seemed to be a bit more sweet than anything else, I would have liked a bit more banana nut bread character in the taste, that I experienced in the aroma. I think I would have it again but probably pay a bit more for another Tripel. Worth a try for Tripel fans though. Cheers!

PintOHops, Apr 16, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

glass: snifter

Poured a golden orange color with a thin soapy head. Nearly clear (could get to the yeast with a small snifter), plenty of medium bubbles.

Sweat and sugary on the nose. Some orange, faint banana, leather and clove are also present. It also has a bright and lightly dry alcohol presence. Reminds me of banana nut bread meats carrot cake.

Taste is so sweet with not much else to mention except the typical Belgian yeast characteristics, bubblegum, banana, clove. Finishes strong with a blast of clove and alcohol which gives the sensation of menthol.

mouthfeel is medium-high with medium carbonation and a slick and oily feel.

I'm not much a fan for Belgian yeast and i'm definitely not a fan of Belgian yeast in beers that are mediocre. Victory missed the mark on this one, yet blowing me away with their pilsner. Oh well.

JosiahS, Apr 15, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Pours clear gold in color (appropriately) with a small white head that settles to a haze of foam.

S: Sweet, spicy, and very aromatic. In the nose I get coriander, banana, bubblegum, Belgian yeast, candi sugar, and alcohol esters. Smells like a triple..

T: This beer tastes pretty hot compared to some of the other high abv tripels I've had. I taste alcohol upfront along with some spice followed by sweet sugary citrus fruits at the end.

M: Medium to thin bodied and a little on the overcarbed side.

ixodus, Apr 15, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

I had a bottle of this at a family picnic. I was really excited to try it because usually the beer selections aren't the best at these things. Someone had gotten a mix and match case of Victory brews. I grabbed a Golden Monkey and poured it out. The color was a bright yellow with a head that comes and goes. The aromas were interesting. Kinda sweet, kinda funky and just overall different than most Tripels I've smelled. This beer tastes like it smells, I'm not sure how much I really enjoyed it. I found it to be kind of strange tasting. I'd try this one again if it came my way but I wouldn't pay for it.

Knapp85, Apr 15, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -6.5%

A- Cloudy golden. Head is neither voluminous or as long lasting as I would like. Some lacing.
S- Banana and some spice. Primarily fruity but there is definitely some spice in there. The banana and the spice seem more in competition than complemention here though.
T- The same problem persists here. It starts with a fruity flavor, but it somewhat gets overwhelmed by the spice character in the finish.
M- Compared to the paragons of the style it is too light and not creamy enough in the carbonation.
O- A decent triple but not one of the better ones out there. A bit disappointing for me considering the level this brewery usually performs at.

jsprain1, Apr 13, 2011