Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
GatheringBrews

Vermont

Golden and slightly hazy in color, this beer pours a big, frothy white head that holds very well. The aroma is citrus with hints of banana and clove. It has a medium body mouthfeel, which means it's not heavy, but it's not a light beer; it has real body. The alcohol is present but not overwhelming, almost a background note of heat. The flavor is a pleasant balance of mild maltiness and slight hops, and it finishes with just a touch of hop bitterness that's nice. This is a beer that develops more character as it warms in the glass as well. It's not as spicy as other examples of this beer, and suffers just a touch from the lack. Overall, this is nice example of the style, and folks who haven't had this style could easily enjoy and be introduced to the world of Belgian ales.

01-06-2011 01:46:38 | More by GatheringBrews
fbone

4.5/5  rDev +22%

A:medium straw color,head left quickly,nice carbonation.

S:great fruity,yeasty smell.reminds me of banana & subtle spice.

T:This brew is extremely well balanced.everything comes together as you drink it.Tastes very similar to the Belgian brew delirium tremens.

M:perfectly medium body smooth finish.

D:this brew goes down fast!somehow it hides the alcohol content!I love this beer,it is one of my new favorites.I consider this beer to be a work of art.An american beer that that competes with Belgian craft beers,with a cheaper price.

01-05-2011 00:20:38 | More by fbone
SamN

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Huge frothy white head, thick and rocky. Hazy dark golden color with lots of carbonation present. Lacing is evident. Smell is strongly of coriander, flowery spices, seemingly adjunct malt, a varied bouquet. Taste is sprawling, starts with grainy malts, moves to a powerfully flowery/fruity spiced middle and ending on a blunt hops and spice note. Quite an intense flavor profile, extremely strong tastes. Lots of overripe fruits, banana and some apples, maybe even something resembling peaches or apricots. The tastes fade a little too quickly into a souring mash-up of competing flavors. Not great, not bad. Pretty decent. The startlingly high alcohol is well hidden in this Tripel. Medium light body with a little fizziness.

A pretty overwhelming brew, nothing to session with and may overpower all but the most daring of food. A good example of brewery prowess, but a bit of an orphan beer.

01-02-2011 21:22:17 | More by SamN
lovindahops

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Another victory treat. I know to sip this one.

A- pours a golden yellow with a white head that disappears pretty quick. Floaties are all over this brew. It looks inviting as most victory brews do in my opinion

S- pears, bready yeast, cloves, and slightly banana. Some spices are there. This is a good scent

T- great flavor! The bananas and clove flavor are fantastic. The sweet fruit flavor is has a little zing to it. Good spices with some dry flavor at the end

M- big carbonation with a medium body

D- sip this bad boy! I can definitely enjoy victory's depiction of the style.

01-02-2011 19:10:48 | More by lovindahops
SteveS1

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Look: First pours clear golden/straw with a generous bubbly white head. Left some in the bottom to gather the yeast, and poured the rest- cloudy orange from the yeast. Passable retention, decent lacing.

Smell: Musty yeast with orange peel and apricot.

Taste: Sweet fruits on the tongue with bitter hops on the tongue and palate. Clean light citrus and caramel going down. Dry hoppy finish with a bready aftertaste.

Feel: Rather round with a touch of carbonation.

Drink: Not a terrible drink, but lacking the complexity of a great tripel. Nary a hint of alcohol, but plenty of bitter spices.

01-02-2011 04:13:37 | More by SteveS1
gwguest

Kansas

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

A fresh bottle brought to me by a friend on state-to-state travel via car.

Pours an astonishingly light pale straw color. It's been too damn long since I've had a triple. Nice white / off white foam of nice density. Very pretty. If I had poured better, this could be brilliantly clear

S: Nice amount, but appropriate hop aroma for an American interp of the style; maybe a bit much for a true tripel. Swirling aroma of sweet pear, candi and apple. I can't wait to drink it.

T: THIS is what I've been missing. An excellent balance of malt sweetness with candi sugar notes and pale fruit combined with a gentle snap of bitterness. It's a touch sweet for a belgian tripel, but much better than most. Completely satisfying and a beer I'd drink all day.

M: Very good. It could be a bit drier to be perfect, but no real complaints.

D: I could probably drink this all day and not realize what was happening until after 3 or 4. A dangerous brew.

12-31-2010 22:35:50 | More by gwguest
latackbeer

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

I had high hopes since I am a tripple lover!!

Beer poured a semi cloudy golden color with a finger head, in an over-sized wine glass.

I think what turned me off on this beer was the spices, too much cloves, the cinnamon was evident but not overwhelming! Had great body and the %9.4 ABV was not known.

I barely finished one bottle, thanks to a friend for sharing I don;t see myself buying a 6pack of this. I will stick with a La Fin Du Monde or New Belgium Tripple!!

12-30-2010 05:22:31 | More by latackbeer
bbkd3b

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Another of my Christmas gift collection. Poured it into a tulip glass.

A - Start off with a pretty, darkened gold color and a thick head. Sadly, the retention wasn't at all there. Add the lack of lacing and it turned out to be quite average looking. Surprisingly clear.

S - Hm... Interesting. A surprising scent of hops, coriander, bready malts. The citrus, grapefruit backbone almost reminds me of a Belgian IPA. I won't complain about this, but it is a bit odd and unexpected.

T - Hard to judge this one. I like it, that's for sure. There's a decent, tripel flavor there. Lots of spices and cloves, and the trademark Belgian flavor that the yeast adds. The finish is unbelievably boozy, though. Makes it kind of a tough customer to keep going through.

M - The body is medium and smooth, but the finish is ridiculously dry. I don't mind dry beers, but this is a bit over the top. It's not bad, just... not for me.

D - It's such an untamed beer that it's hard to get through without a struggle. Very much a slow-drinker... The dry character combined with the alcohol-inspired kick makes it a challenge.

Overall/notes - Not up to the typical standards I hold for tripels. Don't get me wrong, there's quality in this brew, but it's not subtle enough. Great for the extremists out there, I guess. For a simple beer drinker such as myself, it's too rough. It served me well at Christmas Eve with the family, though.

12-28-2010 05:17:04 | More by bbkd3b
Beerbluesbiology

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a golden body with a nice head initially. Head dwindles to minimal lacing on body. Smells of alcohol, banana bread and cloves, but mostly like alcohol-this is a high [EtOH] beer. Tastes strongly like banana bread with a slightly spicy feel on the sides on the tongue. Finishes with dryness from the alcohol and a slight oily feel. Overall, a very nice Belgian-style ale from a great brewery.

12-22-2010 23:30:48 | More by Beerbluesbiology
AwYeh

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Pours a hazy golden straw color; not quite typical of a tripel or BSPA, there's an odd tinge to this, maybe like a percentage of a drop of green food coloring made it into the beer (no idea what's giving it that tone).

S: Smells like grapefruit and coriander.

T: Very sweet and citrusy, with a huge rush of banana on the finish; unfortunately there's not enough else going on to entirely back this up.

M: Mouthfeel is above average, it's slightly thick and quite pleasant.

D: Wouldn't want two of these, but the first one went down just fine.

12-22-2010 09:20:21 | More by AwYeh
BB1313

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a hazy yellow w/ great white fluffy head, decent lacing. I'm picking up white grapes and pears w/ a faint hop aroma. Tastes bittersweet, slightly spicy; finishes bery dry. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, maybe too much carbonation even for the style.. it's not too rough though Alcohol is well hidden, making it very drinkable.. you'd never guess is was 9.5% abv.

I've never been the biggest fan Golden Monkey, but I always come back for single now and then. It's a fun beer to drink. This is not what I look for in a Tripel, but still makes a good beer. I also think this is a good one for people just getting into craft beers.

12-21-2010 15:11:54 | More by BB1313
OhYesILoveBeer

Georgia

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

Victory's Golden Monkey 12oz bottle @ 47* into my DFH oversized snifter. Freshness date Nov 12th 2013.

Pours a crystal clear golden/yellow tinge with a 1/2" bubbly white head that dissipate's immediately. Seriously, within 10 seconds.

Smells of typical Belgian bread like yeast with fruit esters like banana, clove, and white grapes. Theres a bit of earthy hops in the mix with a slight spice character. I'm not sure whats going on with the reviewer below me but there is absolutely no "bitter" smell in this brew.

Tastes of the same old so-so American Belgian replica ale. I'd like to point out that this brew is almost exactly on point with a Belgian Pale Ale, (ie. Leffe, Duvel) not a Tripel by far, just a little ramped up on the malt bill. Once again with the review below, there are no bitter or astringent flavors in this brew. If you want to know what bitter is, go grab a Lagunitas Hop-Stoopid, Avery Hog Heaven, or a SN Bigfoot. Typical Banana, spice, and yes we all know, cloves.. This beer lingers on the tongue for a while which is pleasing.

The feel of this brew is clean and crisp, just like a nice bubbly Tripel should be.

Overall this is a decent brew to chill with, but I'll never put up the ungodly high bill ($11.99) for a 6pk of this stuff. Ive had this beer on many occasions, and whenever I see it for $1.79 @ Hop City a bottle I usually pick some up for my wife. Dont get me wrong, I have plenty of high priced bottles in our cellar, but this brew is simply not worth the price tag. Cheers!

12-21-2010 04:36:17 | More by OhYesILoveBeer
ninaturner

4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

Appearance: Very bright gold with a two-finger head.

Aroma: Bitter smell right off the bat. Spices and herbal quality shines through.

Taste: Again, bitter taste but also a good balance with a sweet honey-like quality. Favorite part about the taste is the herbal character and bitterness. Great aftertaste compared to other beers of this style. However, does not seem to fit in well with other tripel styles. I still like the taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Very good.

Drinkability: Although it is not as comparable to other tripels, I still enjoy the drinkability of it and the earthy herbal qualities. This is something I would enjoy on a regular basis.

12-20-2010 19:53:09 | More by ninaturner
cdizinno

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

Presentation: Poured into a Duvel tulip from a 12oz brown bottle.

A: Hazy, golden-straw color. Nice fluffy white head that quickly turns to a thin white lace. Minimal lacing.

S: Faint floral with a bready but yeasty scent in the nose. More citrus as the beer warms.

T&M: Smooth, creamy, rich and full-bodied beer. Hops hit with soft floral notes. Some spicy bitterness. Mild malty sweetness with bread and yeast flavors.

Decent tripel but not too original. Decent fallback but nothing I'm going out of my way to make a regular drinker.

12-19-2010 22:00:59 | More by cdizinno
Brabander

Netherlands

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

I got a few bottles from my buddy drinkybanjo a few months ago. Saved it for a special occaision. Last sunday we had a beer tasting session where we drank this beer.

Very nice head and good carbonation. Taste is very soft and 'round'. The whole group was very impressed with this triple.

12-17-2010 15:09:07 | More by Brabander
ausonius

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

12 oz. bottle

Big creamy head. Settles in a bit over 10 minutes. Leaves some light lacing.

Nose: Big bready, grainy, malty, Belgian yeast, slight banana w/decent amount of spicy, earthy/herbal hops. A hint of pine & a bit of green hash.

Palate: Very pale malt. Spicy, grainy, dry-ish. Slightly fruity/spicy, but dry with light, but persistently earthy hoppy finish & aftertaste.

Carries it's 9.5% ABV very well indeed.

GREAT drinkability.

92 1/2 Points

Love the style. Firmer & dryer than a classic Tripel, but that's why I like it so much.

12-17-2010 04:20:57 | More by ausonius
AdamBear

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

A-cloudy golden yellow, thin white head

S-sweet belgian spices, very sweet and pronounced

T-mmm hits with an impressive strong blast and then a good banana like yeast comes in that resembles a hefe. ends with a tanginess that is weird but the after-taste is that of spicy wheat. The first drink is the best but the quality slowly dwindles as you drink it.

M-medium carbonation with a good, creamy finish tho the alcohol note is strong

D-it gets more tangy as the drink goes on...its not a great drinkability....it was difficult to finish. The alcohol burn is too much for this one i think.

12-16-2010 19:07:31 | More by AdamBear
grittybrews

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a muddy straw-gold into a tulip with a finger of brilliant, fluffy white head that receded rather quickly. Aroma of banana, clove, and a hint of honey and spice.

Slightly high carbonation and a creamy, full mouthfeel. Quite sweet up front with lots of banana, pepper, and some biscuity caramel malt. Pleasant dry finish with hints of ginger and spice and a mildly warming alcohol presence.

Initially I found this beer to be a little too sweet, but as it warmed the spicy elements emerged and contributed to a drier, more balanced overall impression. Solid tripel overall!

12-15-2010 05:01:05 | More by grittybrews
vandemonian

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

Victory Golden Monkey has a light orange colour and a head that dies away but decent lacing remains. The smell is fairly weak, but what's there is spicy. It has a taste of bitter cloves into a smooth aftertaste which isn't better or alcoholic. This beer is nicely carbonated and thick. Watch out, this beer is very drinkable considering the alcohol content.

12-15-2010 02:57:59 | More by vandemonian
paulozanello

Brazil

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

Golden Monkey pours a crystal-clear golden color with a creamy white head that persists for a long time leaving little lacing. It is a great looking beer nonetheless.

Aroma is of malt sweetness with loads of yeasty esters: banana, clove, orange, lemon. Lots of booze towards the finish.

Taste follows nose with a bready and honey-like malty start that gets overpowered by lots of yeast byproducts, again with banana/clove dominating but also some citric and spicy notes. Finish is extremely dry and astringent. Banana and clove are again present in the aftertaste. Alcohol warmth follows.

I thought that for a triple, the body of this beer was a little to thin. Carbonation is very high.

Overall this is a triple that loses fair and square to its best belgian (Karmeliet and the trappists) and north american (Unibroue and Allagash come to mind) counterparts. However this still has a great cost/benefit relationship and is readily available in my area.

12-08-2010 04:45:12 | More by paulozanello
dfclav

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Finally decided to own up and make an account to start reviewing. This is my first review, hopefully of many - but sadly i've missed out on a lot of beers by not taking notes. Oh well, from here on out I hope to be a pretty full-fledged member to BA.

Poured into a snifter. Best by October 2013.

A - It pours a hazy golden orange color with about a one finger head that dissapates fairly quickly but leaves an almost endless amount of carbonation.

S - I like the smell of this beer, it is big on bread, spice, banana, hops and most of all clove.

T - They've done a really good job hiding the ABV on this one, as there isn't as much alcohol taste as I expected by looking at the label. Banana and cloves dominate this beer, with other spices, and a hint of lime before the hops kick in. The clove lasts forever, well after I finished the bottle.

M - This is a bit dry, with a decent hoppy presence but the overabundance of carbonation isn't a winner in my book.

D - This beer is suprisingly easy to drink, considering the high ABV and they've picked a good slogan in "Respect the Monkey" because this can sneak up on someone. A good beer considering the price tag. If you're big on tripels, like myself, you will enjoy this beer - but there are plenty better out there when you've got the money to spend.

12-07-2010 06:11:09 | More by dfclav
VMWhelan

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

12oz Bottle. Best by June 2013 / Drank on Dec 06, 2010

Pours a nice hazy golden yellow with a little bit of head that quickly dissapates.

Smells spicy with a bit of banana, slight alcohol notes.

Tastes just like it smells: prominent banana and yeast with some spice, but a tad sweeter. Nice warmth from the alcohol going down but nothing too much.

Medium body to it, about what I expected. Not too thin, not too creamy.

Drinkability is very high. It's hard to not go for a second or third, but with 9.5% ABV, you need to be careful.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers from my favorite local brewery and I'd never turn down the opportunity to have one or two of these.

12-07-2010 00:50:23 | More by VMWhelan
daliandragon

3.58/5  rDev -3%

I've been meaning to try this one for years, although I think Victory as a whole is probably a little overrated. This is also my second monkey themed brew of the year. This one needs to beat out 400 Pound Monkey for the title. Pours golden into my goblet with a finger of white head that reverts to thin cap in about four minutes. Nose is floral hops, yeast, a little spice, sweet malt, and plenty of alcohol. I knew this was 9.5 but it sure smells like it.

A little hops up front, followed by spice and a little citrus. Next it's all booze again clean through to the finish. Maybe a little pepper and grapeskin as well. Still, not nearly as nuanced or complex as I was hoping for. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp with high carbonation but it seems to fit this one well.

This isn't bad at all, just uninspiring. It grew on me a little bit as I drank it so maybe I'd get it again under the right circumstances. Just a little more sizzle than steak but that does seems to be Victory's rep.

12-06-2010 03:25:32 | More by daliandragon
sixerofelixir

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz bottle. Clearly marked enjoy-by date. (2013 may be pushing it..)

Pours an ever-so-delicate light gold. Many carb trails, and the white head soon becomes a small ring. Smell is peppery and more peppery. The taste is nicely complex, definitely spicy, but also mildly tart and lemony, with a satisfying hop kick. The feel is buttery smooth and carbonated. Drinkability high for the ABV. Good tripel here.

12-03-2010 06:21:58 | More by sixerofelixir
FosterJM

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

84th review on BA
Bottle to snifter

App- A very hazy buttery yellow, started off with a nice 1 finger tight head.

Smell- Belgian yeast smell with the citrus and spice I was expecting.

Taste- This is where it went downhill. The spice notes are there but lacks some bite and big spice flavor. A bit flat on the finish.

Mouth- A bit thicker than I would have thought. Nice carbonation though.

Drink- Not bad, Probably will have again to try to find a fresher bottle.

12-03-2010 02:22:32 | More by FosterJM