Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Halcyondays

2.15/5  rDev -41.7%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear golden with a thin white head with good retention, mild lace.

S: Has some interesting yeast esters (heavy pear and yellow apple), but has a faint hint of pickles which was off-putting.

T: Acrid, bitter pepper type spice, bitter melon/hops form the initial attack which was not enjoyable. Some OK fruit notes in the end try to save it, but it's not happening. That minor pickle note is here too.

M: Perfectly fine. Quite smooth, medium/full-bodied with a hint of ethanol.

D: I tried this a few years ago and didn't like it, I thought I'd try it again to see if my tastes have changed since I'm on a Tripel kick as of late. They haven't, I still don't like it. Having Allagash Tripel recently to compare, it's like night and day. I'm still a big fan of Victory, they make great beer across the board, so it's all right to have one stinker.

05-15-2010 04:38:40 | More by Halcyondays
Echosolace

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%

My taste buds have changed through time, and they usually happen when coming across great beers. Despite this, I've never grown to like maltier beers, like this one. Although this one could have come close to turning me on to that wonderful world of Belgian triples because of the stranger taste which I wasn't expecting. It probably has something to do with the spices they put in there.

A: 2 finger head, long lasting, pretty color.

S: My left nostril is a bit clogged for some reason, so, taken with a grain of salt, I think that the smell is pretty light, with that usual malty smell, and shoot me down if you want but some apples maybe?

T: It caught me by surprise. Yum, especially for a malty beer. It must be the spice. I don't really know what to call out on it though...

M: Reminds me of flatter champagne.

D: It does seem pretty appropriate for summer. It is refreshing.

05-08-2010 16:46:29 | More by Echosolace
Chico1985

3.43/5  rDev -7%

12 oz bottle to a flute glass. Pours translucent golden, lots of carbonation and some sediment. Nice big fluffy white head retains well. Stays at pinky-size the whole time and leaves some lacing. Smell is lots of banana, spice and yeast. Overall sweeter smelling than your average tripel. As soon as it hits the tongue I can detect some sort of off-taste. I can't really put a finger on it, maybe it's those exotic spices from the East. Definitely lots of banana. Caramel sweetness, white pepper, yeast. Alcohol is definitely there and warm going down the throat. I truthfully do enjoy the sweetness of the taste a little, but it seems messy and one-dimensional. Someone in another review said banana creme brulee, I'll agree with that. Mouthfeel is a too carbonated and boozy, has a decent creaminess. Drinkability suffers from that and the sweetness, I am pretty tolerable when it comes to sweetness in a beer so I didn't mind this too much but I know this would be a turn-off for others. Overall interesting effort, the taste wasn't bad, just wish it more balanced somehow.

05-04-2010 20:10:33 | More by Chico1985
chefkevlar

South Carolina

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

A: A golden straw color pour with a good layer of thick head

S: Some peaches and grapefruit on the nose along with a yeast smell

T: There is a tropical fruit flavor to this beer, like some people have mention bananas and I also detect some orange and honey as well. There is also some heat from the high abv but not as much as some might expect from a 9.5% beer

M: Medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation, very refreshing

D: Highly drinkable, with good fruit flavors and a bit of sweetness to balance the heat from the alcohol

05-03-2010 23:39:53 | More by chefkevlar
jeddsp

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a lemony yellow, decent head. Have to be careful of the pour as you can easily pour a lot of the sediment from the bottle into your beer. Sweet smell....very fruity. This is a very drinkable beer, especially in the summer. I can see myself enjoying more then a few of the while the BBQ is heating up.

05-03-2010 19:33:30 | More by jeddsp
scottyshades

A: Pours a transparent yellow lemon color with a big fluffy white cap. Retention is OK, yeast chunks float around.

S: Spicy nose; lots of banana, bubblegum, clove, allspice and alcohol. Not too bad at all.

T: Spicy flavor as well, clovey and bananas. Yeast gives some bubbleum flavors ad fruity esters

MF/D: medium body, carbonation is a little prickly, alcohol is pretty well hidden

mobile review

05-02-2010 18:36:18 | More by scottyshades
Zekezilla

Maryland

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this at the Baltimore Beer Festival, was probably one of my favorites. Had all of the fruit/spice combinations that I would expect. Alcohol content high but the taste is not boozy. Hard to tell exactly what appearance was, as they gave us cups that were hard to see through.

04-28-2010 23:46:11 | More by Zekezilla
Kallessin

3.43/5  rDev -7%

Pours a light golden color and very hazy on initial pour and tons of sediment - this was my fault for not taking care during the pour. After some time the beer clarified quite a beer, except for the sediment. It has a short-lived, stark white head.

At first I mostly smelled sweet grainy malt with a mix of musty/earthy aromas. With some effort I could pick up some very faint fruity aromas with a hint of bananas.

There's some light fruity flavors up front (mainly lemon, white grape, tart apple) with various fruity esters. These are quickly dominated by the spicy/yeasty character and bready malt with slight sweetness. The alcohol is very well hidden - only represented by some peppery flavors.

Pretty light bodied with sharp, prickly carbonation and some fizziness and a warming sensation. I found it really dry with lingering presence.

I find this beer pretty decent, although I found the flavor and aroma lacked a little depth.

04-28-2010 23:34:24 | More by Kallessin
Bouleboubier

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

I can honestly drink glass after glass of this and not get bored.

Pouring it less cautiously with the bottle on more of a vertical angle will churn up a gorgeous, fluffy head - a spicy, clove aroma which carries over well into the flavor. Looks like sparkling apple juice at first, than it clouds up a bit.

There's a mead-like thick honey sweetness, variable depending on the batch - a little more in the mouthfeel than the flavor. A nice, warm, subtle alcohol sting hits when it's going down, but I've never found it remotely overpowering, even when I'm eating. Other strong triples (9-11%+ abv) I have that problem where I only taste the alcohol (maybe bad pairing?), who knows.

While beering, I usually ignore anything else I intended to get in order to have this on draft, when available, whenever. Not sure if I prefer more in the bottle or draft - both really tasty.

04-26-2010 03:20:24 | More by Bouleboubier
Naugros

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Out of the bottle it poured a slightly cloudy honey/orange color...very appealing to the eye. There was not much head and signs that the carbonation was light.

Apple and bananas hit your nose with a twinge of caramel. The yeast is noticeable and expected for this style. If there were hops, I could not discern them.

Now I know why this is called "Golden Monkey"; it tastes strongly of bananas. The caramel is evident as promised by the smell, as is a slight apple taste. The whole thing lends an overall impression of a banana creme brulee.

There is minimal carbonation. That and the distinct lack of foam makes me believe that the bottle I got may have had a cork that allowed some of the gases to escape. Perhaps if there had been more carbonation I would have found the flavors more balanced.

The wash of the flavors across the tongue is strong but fleeting. The aftertaste continues the rule of banana and lingers at the back of your palate.

I've had better examples of this style from North America. All of the elements of a great trippel are present, but get overshadowed by the overly predominate banana flavor.

04-25-2010 22:03:25 | More by Naugros
vkv822

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz. bottle into pint glass.

The appearance is a cloudy, deep golden color with lots of yeast and a foamy white head. The aroma is a yeasty herbal scent with some nice sweet notes towards the end. The flavor is again of a herbal-clove note mixed with some sweet malts and a light touch of alcohol. There is also a light hint of banana as well. The mouthfeel is a nice medium body with a good bit of carbonation, although it is a bit heavy at times. There is a nice warming sensation from the alcohol and it maintains a good drinkability considering the ABV.

04-23-2010 02:10:10 | More by vkv822
emmasdad

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +16%

Pours a crisp, sparkling golden hue, capped with a gorgeous rocky head. Wonderful aromas of peppery spice, Belgian yeast, honey malt and a hint of barnyard. A deliciously well balanced beer, with hints of citrus, sweet malt, banana, clove and drying alcohol. I could drink a lot of this one, as the carbonation levels make this one go down so smoothly, especially with the 9.5% alcohol content. An excellent buy, at less than $2 a bottle.

04-22-2010 00:33:35 | More by emmasdad
Lacesoutcody

3.58/5  rDev -3%

this is my first taste of a Tripel style beer.

poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: hazy gold, with a small head of fizzy foam, doesn't stick around for long, but some frothy lacing remains.

S: flowery, yeast, and some bitter notes.

T: Pretty damn good, although I don't have anything to compare it too, not too bitter, but still has some hops to liven your tongue. Aftertaste is a mild hint of alcohol. Note: Does pack quite a punch, but is nothing like I wouldn't have expected judging by the alcohol content.

M: Fairly smooth. a bit creamy, a tad carbonated.

D: I enjoyed it, although I'm anxious to try more of the style, that being said, I would def. have again.

04-20-2010 20:48:19 | More by Lacesoutcody
brystmar

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: light & golden with minimal (fizzy) head. Lots of carbonation flows upward to the surface. Zero lacing.

S: malty & earthy, a tad hoppy too.

T: a medium-bodied, pretty standard tripel. A tad on the bitter side, not as complex as others, but not bad overall.

D: very drinkable for a tripel; smooth and refreshing.

04-20-2010 01:51:42 | More by brystmar
jwhawkins81

3.58/5  rDev -3%

Aroma - Aromatic hops like a lager with a slight background of Belgian spice notes, not exactly what you expect from a normal tripel

Appearance - Bright golden yellow with good carbonation

Taste - Spicy Belgian tripel with a touch of hops bite.

Notes - Good mouthfeel.

04-18-2010 13:14:04 | More by jwhawkins81
SpdKilz

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy yellow into my SA Perfect Pint. Only about one finger of white head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Smell - Sweet bready malts at the forefront. Slight funk, lemon, banana, and cloves become noticeable as the beer warms up. There is also a slight honey/caramel aroma.

Taste - Woah, the first sip hits with an extremely sweet flavor. The sweetness immediately gives way to a strong banana flavor, and then finishes with heavy spices. There is a lot going on here, in a somewhat bad way. Each stage of the flavors is almost too violent and leaves my taste buds confused. The more I let this warm up I begin to taste a bit of pear as well. Overall this is a sipper.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - So so. I'm about halfway done with it and it is beginning to be a chore for me. As I stated in my taste section, this beer is almost too in your face. The flavors and spices to me are overwhelming, and the almost 10 percent alcohol content makes this quite a potent beer. I'm glad I tried it but not my favorite version of the style.

04-18-2010 00:09:56 | More by SpdKilz
cdbooth219

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours a hazy golden color with lots of bubbles and a finger and a half of white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing

S: Smells of banana and bubblegum, with some belgian funk as well, and some citrusy zest as well, and some spiciness and alcohol

T: Tastes of banana and other tropical fruits, with some bubblegum and citrus notes as well. Quite a bit of belgian funk, and some very subtle spice notes, cloves among others, finish out this complex beer. 9.5% abv is not noticeable at all.

M: Medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation

D: Very drinkable, but I wouldnt drink many of these, due to the high abv

Overall, this is a very good tripel, another great brew from Victory.

04-17-2010 22:44:38 | More by cdbooth219
Agold

2.88/5  rDev -22%

A: This beer is a golden yellow. It pours with a large fluffy white head which recedes to a thin coating. There is ok, but not fantastic lacing.

S: There is a very sweet smell with this beer. Banana and caramel sweetness.

T: This is a very sweet beer. You can taste a bit of the clove character from the yeast. The alcohol comes out more and more as the beer approaches ambient temperature.

M: Good mouth feel. A little heavier than I was hoping for, but overall good. The amount of carbonation is moderate and sufficient.

D: Good drinkability, but one or two is definitely enough based on the 9.5% ABV

04-15-2010 23:28:26 | More by Agold
bigbluebeerguy

Kentucky

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a pint glass, a clear, light, lemon yellow with lots of particulates floating around. Thick, fluffy white head that receded quickly to little lacing.

Smell is mostly banana and bubblegum, with just a little bit of sweetness.

Tastes pretty much as I expected from the nose. A little sweet, but overall pretty well balanced. Got a little of the 9% ABV as the beer warmed.

Nice feel overall, medium body with just the right amount of carbonation.

Probably a little too easy to drink given the ABV. I would buy this again.

04-10-2010 23:56:23 | More by bigbluebeerguy
cooncat

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Live review. This is another brew from Victory which I've been drinking for years, but never got around to reviewing.

Poured into my SA glass, I have to moderate the pour in order to get the entire bottle into the glass. The beer is a turbid lemon yellow, with a billowing white head. Head retention is surprisingly good for a beer this size. Some nice lacing develops, but not a huge amount. More turbid than I'd like to see a tripel ... lots of yeast floating in the glass. I've had wheat beers that weren't this turbid.

The nose is light, but spicy with banana and bubble gum and a touch of lemon zest. Perhaps at a warmer temperature, the nose would have more character.

Taste follows the nose pretty close; spicy clove-like banana esters up front, with a touch of bubble gum and lemon zest in the back. This is sweeter than it is dry, and carbonation makes it very refreshing. Mouthfeel is medium. The alcohol doesn't show itself, except perhaps in a bit of tummy warming. This is dangerously drinkable. I would not consider it a session brew, but the lively carbonation and refreshing qualities (almost like a saison) leave me thinking I could quaff 2 or 3 of these in an evening session.

I've never had a bad beer from Victory. Victory makes a line-up of solid brews, and this is another example. Prices are moderate, especially if you get this in one of the "Taste of Victory" assortment boxes, which include 4 each of the Golden Monkey, Hop Devil, and Prima Pils. This is definitely worth picking up. Recommended!

Na Zdravje!

04-09-2010 21:22:46 | More by cooncat
bbqwings

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

served: bottle poured into a chilled pint glass

A: light and golden, about a finger of head that quickly dissipated
S: banana, alcohol, fruits
T: assorted fruits, spices, and hops. lots of flavor in each sip.
M: smooth and refreshing, leaves an enjoyable aftertaste
D: watch that high abv, great for when i am in the mood for the style

04-08-2010 01:55:40 | More by bbqwings
Reux

Rhode Island

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Appearance:
One finger head that quickly dissipated; little to no lacing
Crisp, golden color

Aroma:
Fruity, banana, sweet, perfume-y

Taste:
Very sweet and a bit sour
Banana, alcohol and spice (cinnamon, cardamon and pepper)
Small bitterness in the aftertaste, but not quite enough to balance the beer. The sweetness in the aftertaste can be a bit overwhelming.
Medium-bodied. Really like this beer's mouth feel for a Belgian trip.

This is a good sipping beer that will kick your ass if consumed too quickly or in excess. I enjoyed two over the course of a long summer evening. It was refressing and bursting with complex flavor on the tongue, but the sweet after taste was slightly annoying.

04-05-2010 22:52:52 | More by Reux
southernmagnus

Alabama

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

The Monkey. A solid variation on the tripel, great spices and very clear for the type.

However, this stuff will kick your ass. There's something else going on in this beer besides the alcohol.

I have a slight "trip" every time I have more than one of these.

Decent tripel,*great* LSD substitute.

I get this when I'm in the rare mood for liquor, but don't want bourbon.

04-03-2010 18:27:23 | More by southernmagnus
aristeros

Georgia

Poured into a pint glass. Had a hankering for a Belgian. Not my first Victory brew. $14.50 at AAFES in El Paso for the six pack. A bit high. Golden, almost no head, very active carbonation, surprisingly clear. Very slight lacing.

Banana, cloves, some black pepper, and alcohol. Sort of like Pranqster without the "bubble gum" scent. Yeasty, smells like a Belgian.

Moderate to heavy carbonation lends itself to an excellent mouthfeel. Sweet malts with very light caramel giving way to spices up front, giving way to red apples and slightly tart white grapes. Alcohol on the back end; tastes like its 9.5 ABV. Booziness pretty prevalent like in Storm King, and two or three of these are plenty for an evening.

Even so, the price tag is off-putting. Taking into account the military mark-up, $14 and change is a lot for a six, even if it adds up to 2-3 sittings. I'd rather drop $9 or so for a Hennepin 750 ml or $7 for a Pranqster 4 pack. Glad I tried it, but it was a bit of a let down.

04-03-2010 03:09:58 | More by aristeros
Scrapss

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Ah, the monkey. Let's see what kind of havoc the monkey can release. Pint glass, as usual.

A: Love the suspended solids. It's like life just stopped for a moment in time, just for me to enjoy. Golden, radiant yellow, very slight carbonation trail up the side of the glass, two finger head that neatly compacts to a flat circle at the edge of the glass after much time. No lacing. Has some legs. Carbonation can be reconstituted by swirling as it goes.

S: clove, banana, light booziness, yeast, slight malts. For some reason, my nose is hinting me with something else. Could be just a hallucination...is this some secret banana bread recipe in a bottle?

T&M: sprightly. light carbonation, malts, and spicy notes with a strong alcohol content combine into a slightly sticky, malty coating followed by semi-sweet then bitter unripened apple and pear residuals. Kinda leaves a pleasant, foamy saliva feeling, complex.

D: tasty and deceptive, but one is plenty due to high ABV.

Overall, a nice example of the style. I like it only a little less than LFdM.

04-02-2010 00:42:34 | More by Scrapss