Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Look is a pale to clear yellow, thin white head, little else than a classic looking tripel

Smell is sweet sugar, butter, a bit of spice, coriander, slight lemon and citrus. a bit of fruit, maybe banana.

Taste is super sweet belgian candy sugar, sweetness also has a spicy side as well a bit of light pepper. The banana comes out a little bit as well. very good overall. Competes taste wise with quite a bit true belgian tripels I have had.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but expected, a good carbonation.

Drink is very good even with the 9.5 wish I could find this more on a regular basis, very good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a clear golden with a thin white head. Smells of dextriny malts, and a hint of molasses. Taste is very sweet cane sugar flavors up front, with a tart acidic middle, and a dry grainy finish. Very little detectable alcohol, nice! Mouthfeel is rather rich, nice low carbonation. Drinkability is really great for the ABV. This beer can trick you with its smooth drinkability, yet devilishly high alcohol! Highly reccomended.

3.42/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from bottle into my DFH Signature Glass. Bottle states "Enjoy by 2013" so I think I am OK here.

A: This beer pours a light, golden hay color that is cloudy. I don't know if it was just my bottle, but I had a good two finger head that stuck around for a while. Good lacing on the glass throughout.

S: I get a floral and spicy aroma. Different than any other Victory beers that I have tried in the past. Interesting.

T: I really do like the taste of this beer, surprisingly. I was apprehensive to try it knowing the style and reading reviews. I do get those floral/spice notes that I smelled upon drinking. Definitely get the booziness in this 9.5% beer too. It seems to be coriander that I get the most, but I might be wrong.

M: Fairly smooth beer that goes down without problem. But booze!!

D: Surprisely drinkable for the alcohol content. But this is probably a one and done for me. I did enjoy it, but my review might not show that. I am just not that into this beer brewing style. Good stab for Victory.

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle

A: Pours very light and cloudy with a one finger head that dissipates to a small layer of little bubbles on the top.

S: Didn't get a ton on the nose, some floral components and some yeast.

T: Definitely sweet upfront with some malts rounding it out. There is also a little bit of spice in this.

M/D: Medium bodied and pretty drinkable. The alcohol was masked pretty well though. Overall I was left underwhelmed. It seemed to be lacking in most areas. Its not a bad beer, but it isn't great.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Huge head, decent retention. Transparent golden color. Nice carbonation is present.

S: Honey malts are dominant followed by some spices. The smell is slightly floral. There is a tiny hint of something... I detect it in all victory beers I have tried... like a candy sweetness which I do not like.

T: Nice sweet malts up front; they are complex and spicy. This is followed by an alcohol kick and a little bitterness at the end. This is decently well balanced. A bit like you are drinking some type of strong nectar.

M: Smooth mouth-feel, but I detest the alcoholic kick at the end. It is quite strong.

D: This is not a session beer. Decent effort, better than the victory beers i have had so far- I must say, I am not a fan of the brewery- there is always a fake/chemical candy sweetness present in their beers...

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%

Golden Monkey | 350 ml. | 9.5% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Victory Brewing Company
Style: Tripel
Glass: Pint

Presentation:
I like the golden, cyclops monkey but the blue label and distracting font detract form an otherwise awesome mascot. Try a weathered green label with golden monkey and chiseled brown font.

Appearance:
Cloudy gold with a disappointing head. As average as they come.

Aroma:
Floral and somewhat bready. Caramel pops up ever so slightly.

Taste:
Soft floral hops and some spicy bitterness + warming alcohol. There's a fine herbal note sustaining the length of the sip. Bread, yeast, and a touch of caramel. Very one-dimensional though.

Mouthfeel:
Smooth, creamy, rich, and full-bodied at the start. The finish comes in a patchy mixture of dry and oily.

Harmony:
It's drinkable but boring. The one-dimensionality and off-balance flavors don't help.

Would I get it again?:
No. It's an unbalanced Tripel, and with all the other options out there, it'd be like choosing a rickety, old rowboat over a sleek sloop at sea. Say that five times fast.

Served: August 16, 2010 @ Cookshop

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Pale gold with lots of little floaties (not right for the style, but intended by the brewer). The head is a nice white foam that dissipates quickly.

S - Slightly sweet and very clovey with just a hint of ester in the over-ripe-banana side of things and maybe some...lemongrass?

T/M - High carbonation and medium body. Definitely some malt sweetness especially in front...lots of spice though I'm having trouble picking out anything specific. I want to say coriander and clove, but that may just be because that's what I expect to find. There is also a nice alcohol warming. mmmm

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%

Currently trying to review every beer on Beeradvocate that has more than 1000 reviews. So this goal brings me to Golden Monkey, never had it before. 12 ounce bottle poured into my DFH snifter. Beer is yellow and slightly hazy. Forms a tiny head with low carbonation and no lacing. Eh.

Aroma is mild but sweet. eh, its OK. Not impressed so far.

Eh, its kind of fruity in the back palate, medium to light in body. Nothing to see here folks. A really mediocre tripel by all measure. I guess the saving grace is that it masks the 9% ABV so well. But overall I'm not impressed. Try again Victory.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Pale golden color with some floaters in the glass. Strong scents of yeast, grass, dry biscuits. The flavor is strong and wild. Dry bread, cloves, sugary esters, along with a faint bit of pepper and coriander. This is one crazy beer, not like any other tripels I have had. Alcohol is very noticed not hidden well at all. Not very drinkable.

3.42/5  rDev -7.3%

This looked promising when poured. A good golden colour(deeper than Duvel) and a thin but firm head that remained until the last drop. The smell sort of knocked me back though. A pungent salty almost sweaty smell that I found somewhat off putting despite a tasty robust thickish oily bitter element in the mouth that was full of a cosy burliness. Obviously well made but maybe not as complex as I might have hoped for. Still very interesting though. Get that nose sorted out and I think we'd really have a winner on our hands.

Reviewed from my notes. The beer pours with a good sized white foam head. It has a clear, tarnish gold liquid body. Rising carbonation is visible. A musty yeast Belgian yeast aroma emanates from my glass. It's a little sweet and a little sour (although that may just be the yeast playing tricks on my nose). The flavor is initially sweet and malty. It ends with some alcohol and a dry finish that is a bit peppery. These flavors linger on. There is the taste of orange peel through out each sip. Lots fo carbonation can be felt. It has a heavy body and a non-sticky coat. The beer is strong but drinkable. Personally, I wouldn't have more than a bottle or two at a time. Luckily, the six pack you purchase can be aged for a while; there's no pressure to drink it all quickly.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Appearance:
This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a pale medium reddish colour with a nice amount of carbonation and a two finger that disapated slow. Very noticable lacing seen.

Aroma:
Light Hops smell. Sweet with honey/red clover notes and a hint of spices like clove and cinnamon!

Palate:
Nice very subtle sweetness and definantly a spicy palate.

Flavour:
Nice. Undernotes slightly light in tone.... warm feel and spicy flavour!

Overall:
Pass, will drink again! This is a good beer and has a handcrafted style and kick! Like this with itself alone or with barbecue.... prefer it medium cool to bring out its flavours.

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fluffy white head that fades quickly.

S: Sweet and spicy aroma with hints of banana.

T: Taste just isn't really there. Flat malt flavor up front fades to a barely noticeable coriander note.

D: This brew just isn't really my thing. Needs a bit more flavor to stand out.

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%

Drank from 12 oz bottle in bar.

App- Couldn't tell, it was in a bottle

Sm- Not much. Very sweet maltiness

Ta- Belgian candi sugars. lots of residual sweetness. decent amount of bittering hops. spices are very mild and balance with the beer well.

MF- Very full mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated and could probably be less, but matches with the style.

Dr- Very drinkable considering the ABV.

Overall a very solid beer, but did not blow me away.

3.21/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a corked 25.4 ounce bottle into a 4 ounce wine glass.

Appearance: Light golden yellow, very light carbonation, thin head floating on the surface of the beer. Light ring around the edge of foam. The bubbles within float up in about 10 straight lines from the bottom to the top of the wine glass.

Smell: Beautiful floral scent to this beer. The alcohol is well-hidden here, gentle hop tones, peach and or pear accents. Really nice, especially for a Tripel!

Taste: Eh. Hops and flowers up front followed quickly by the fruitiness I detected in the scent. Aftertaste is more bitter than I would have hoped. This beer would go well with red meat and/or starchy foods in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Quite light on the palate, only a medium-thin coating of malt character. Rinses easily. It's not bad...unfortunately, that's about all I can say for certain.

Drinkability: Nearly non-existent. If I hadn't paid nearly eight dollars for this bottle, I would probably discard what's left in the fifth. As it is, looks like I'm doomed to finish it. The alcohol (which is hiding in the scent) is overly powerful in the taste, and it takes away from what could be a very flavorful beer.

I bought this beer in a "cool label" state of mind tonight, and I probably should have gotten some recommendations instead. There are lots of better examples of monk beer, specifically Three Philosophers and Avery Brewing's "The Reverend."

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into a goblet. It is a deep golden color, very little hazziness, and a one finger white head.

The smell is good, but not great. I want to call the smell bready.

I really like the taste though. I am quite surprised at how good tasting this is. I think it compares quite favorable to La Fin Du Monde. It has a nice spicy taste and a great mouthfeel. It is quite carbonated, and very drinkable. The alcohol is hidden well. This was quite a bargain.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks nice and clear, a deep golden color with a thick white head. Decent lacing.

Smells yummy. Caramel malt, candied fruit, spice (clove and coriander), faint floral hops.

Taste is a bit too fruity (apricot) and spicy( the clove and coriander become overbearing ) and a little hot, a bit grainy as well. But overall not bad.

A bit thin bodied, borders between creamy and foamy. Dry bite, kind of watery.

Moderate to good drinkability.

I expect a bit more character from a triple, this one holds back a bit too much. Still drinkable though.

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

poured from a 12oz into a "brewery tours of san diego" pint glass, body coloration is a yellow-gold with a slight haze. A nice amount of carbonation rises through the beer to the top leaving a perfectly flat white head which is made of largre bubbles.

The smell imparts a nice refreshing sweetness combined with a slightly sour lemon. The sweet part seems to me to be fruit as well, mango/pineapple come to mind.

The flavor of this beer is great I just wish that it was more prominent. the pineapple and mango come through in the beginning and this fades to a sour citrusy aftertaste. The malt doesnt impart too much into the profile but it is a nice backing. It is very subtle and would be smooth if not for the sour finish. The alcohol is hidden well, but unfortunately the flavors seem to be so as well, extremely deceiptive in that sense.

The mouthfeel of this one reminds me more of a lager than a tripel style ale which is interesting and kind of weird. I would have liked to get more of a solid malty feel out of this 9.5% but hey, I've never had something at that high of an abv feel like a lager before so that's something new.

Super super drinkable brew, it slides down pretty much like water which is kind of mind blowing for how high of an alcohol percentage it is. All in all it was an o.k. beer, definitely not representative of the tripel's I have had in the past but this one brings something new which is always cool.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

A: Light, but bright yellow, with a good haziness to it, and a vibrant white head on top, good lacing.

S: Has notes of cloves, spicy-citrus, and some banana, but quite faint overall.

T: Upfront taste of citrus and cloves, with various spices. Tastes almost bready to a degree. Sweet malty taste mixed with a little hop bitterness.

M: Has a good smoothness to it due to a decent carbonation. Little to no alcohol burn.

D: Very good, but the high ABV keeps it down, and I can see the citrusy-spicy flavor getting old. Decent beer though.

2.96/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a clean pale yellow color with a withe head. In the aroma, dry candy sugar and alcohol. In the taste, alcohol stands out and a dryness from candy sugar and yeast. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry alcohol aftertaste. Very clean, but kind of standard.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Served in a Duvel goblet.

Aroma: floral, citrus, spice and honey.

Appearance: clear, bright gold with long-lasting white lace head.

Taste: crisp, citrus well-balanced flavor with banana notes and dry finish.

Mouthfeel: light body with medium carbonation.

Overall impression: very drinkable tripel, although lighter than your typical Belgian tripel.

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Very brilliant yellow-gold (at least the most brilliant among tripels tasted in a flight) with fine white foam.

Over-ripe honeyed aromas that remind me of the bee pollen that hippies try to sell you at health stores. Walnuts, banana, and ginger on the palate but sort of clumsily so. It just sort of jumps out at you.

Just the faintest bitter finish with hints of vanilla and cocoa of all things.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear gold with a thick white foam. Good retention, lacing is minimal.

Aroma is predominantly banana, cloves and a strong yeast profile. Taste is similar, the banana balances well with the spice profile. Very yeasty. Bit of boozy bitterness at the finish.

Lighter side of medium, well carbonated. Drinkable, especially for something that is approaching 10% ABV.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Clear, golden yellow, non persistent white head.

A: Sweet bready malt, banana / tropical fruits, and belgian yeast aromatics.

F: Flavor profile matches the aroma w/ a slight tinge of bitterness in the finish. Balance is towards the malt and belgian characteristics.

M: medium across the board (Body, Mouthfeel, Carbonation). No alcohol warmth and at 9.5 is very cloying.

O: IMO this beer had some belgian IPA qualities, especially in finish. Also, the alcohol was very well hidden behind the hops ;) Does not come nearly to terms to "Tripel" as others in category (Appearance/Taste), but tasty nonetheless.

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Part of my first "build your own six pack" at one of the local stores, I figured I'd give this a try. Golden Monkey looked fairly interesting, and hey, if I ended up not liking it, I at least had an amusing name to fall back on.

Smelled really nice when I first cracked it open, and poured really nice, although there wasn't that much head. Fairly hoppy aroma.

Initial taste is really great, only once you've swallowed do you get the hint this is a 9.5% beer. No powerful alcohol taste at all, and full of flavor.

Nice feel, fairly light if anything. You wouldn't expect a beer this strong to feel this light.

Very drinkable. Good to have one or two with a few friends.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company