Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint.

Pours a hazy somewhat darkened golden color. Produces a thick head that recedes pretty quickly leaving virtually no lacing. Had a weird experience with this one, opened the bottled, turned to toss the cap in the garbage, turned back around and found it foaming all over my counter. Thought maybe I banged it around a bit on the way home but the other varieties in the sampler pack didn't do this and 24 hours later the Golden Monkey still did, I don't know. The strange part is it really doesn't seem overcarbonated, anyway moving on. Scent is spicey and yeasty but a little underwhelming. Taste is definitely Belgian inspired but not quite Belgian. Floral hoppiness up front with some spiceness in the finish that becomes more potent as it warms. Alcohol is well hidden, I was actually shocked when I looked at the label and saw 9.5%. That being said it's pretty easy for the booze to sneak up on you, which takes away a bit from an otherwise very drinkable brew. I would drink several of these but I'd start getting sloppy after the first few.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

[Appearance]: Bright golden color, hazy, tons of carbonation, very little head, leaves no lacing on the glass.
[Smell]: Spice, a little banana, grainy, perfume.
[Taste]: Sweet malty up front, I could taste a little cloves and banana, peppery in the mid-palate, hint of lemon peel, alcohol bite at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Medium-light bodied, carbonation is about medium, strong alcohol warmth, rough finish.
[Drinkability]: Drinkability is pretty low, this beer is kicking my butt.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Yikes. After one of these and a HopDevil I wasn't able to concentrate. Reading the Tripel description it would seem Victory hit this one true to form but not necessarily Belgian. It's Belgian style like American Chinese food is Chinese. Surprisingly light golden color and sweet smell. I really couldn't get a sense of what I was actually smelling. Taste was strong and mouthfeel was light. Drinkability was pretty high.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

My first tripel style beer, must say it is my new favorite just edging out 90 minute IPA. Only need one or two beers after a long day at work to help unwind. The brew was from a half barrel keg and stored in a growler. The last beer from the growler had a built-up volume of the wheat and yeast giving the initial pour very attractive. Golden Monkey is where its at.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

appearance: golden with some good head rentention and lacing

smell: some fruity aromas, some banana

taste: not on par with style. a decent belgian triple. not my fav from then at all. some alcohol burn too.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: average belgian, not horrible, might drink again.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have been on a Belgian kick lately. I haven't had this beer in years and I recalled not liking it. So I figured it was time to give it another go.

The appearance looked pretty decent. It had the look of a typical Belgian. My only real gripe was the poor head retention. There wasn't much of a head and what little there was dissipated quickly. It was a pleasing and hazy golden blond color that was heavily carbonated.

The aroma is light, floral, and yeasty. A little too light I found. Definitely the low point of the drink.

The taste was quite good. The floral and yeast hit me right away. I detected some banana notes that added to the sweetness of the drink. I was a little surprised that the beer didn't taste stronger. For almost 10% I expected it would be a little more present. This added to the drinkability. I am glad I didn't have a six pack of these guys. That might have been dangerous.

I definitely enjoyed this more the second time around. Would I go out and buy a six pack? No, probably not. Victory is a great brewery but so far this is my least favorite of their offerings. I agree that there are way better Belgians out there.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Poured into a goblet with a clear with a little haziness. About one finger of head that thins out and leaves a little bit of lacing.

Aroma: Phenolic acidity with a citrus hop. Hints of apricot, clove and apple skin. The malts give off a brown bread aroma.

Taste: A crisp hop bite to start. A little bit of apple skin and clove. A breadiness from the malts with a twinge of cinnamon.

Notes: This is a solid triple a nice sweetness from the malts and a decent amount of hopiness. A good one to pick up. Cheers.

2.15/5  rDev -41.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear golden with a thin white head with good retention, mild lace.

S: Has some interesting yeast esters (heavy pear and yellow apple), but has a faint hint of pickles which was off-putting.

T: Acrid, bitter pepper type spice, bitter melon/hops form the initial attack which was not enjoyable. Some OK fruit notes in the end try to save it, but it's not happening. That minor pickle note is here too.

M: Perfectly fine. Quite smooth, medium/full-bodied with a hint of ethanol.

D: I tried this a few years ago and didn't like it, I thought I'd try it again to see if my tastes have changed since I'm on a Tripel kick as of late. They haven't, I still don't like it. Having Allagash Tripel recently to compare, it's like night and day. I'm still a big fan of Victory, they make great beer across the board, so it's all right to have one stinker.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My taste buds have changed through time, and they usually happen when coming across great beers. Despite this, I've never grown to like maltier beers, like this one. Although this one could have come close to turning me on to that wonderful world of Belgian triples because of the stranger taste which I wasn't expecting. It probably has something to do with the spices they put in there.

A: 2 finger head, long lasting, pretty color.

S: My left nostril is a bit clogged for some reason, so, taken with a grain of salt, I think that the smell is pretty light, with that usual malty smell, and shoot me down if you want but some apples maybe?

T: It caught me by surprise. Yum, especially for a malty beer. It must be the spice. I don't really know what to call out on it though...

M: Reminds me of flatter champagne.

D: It does seem pretty appropriate for summer. It is refreshing.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle to a flute glass. Pours translucent golden, lots of carbonation and some sediment. Nice big fluffy white head retains well. Stays at pinky-size the whole time and leaves some lacing. Smell is lots of banana, spice and yeast. Overall sweeter smelling than your average tripel. As soon as it hits the tongue I can detect some sort of off-taste. I can't really put a finger on it, maybe it's those exotic spices from the East. Definitely lots of banana. Caramel sweetness, white pepper, yeast. Alcohol is definitely there and warm going down the throat. I truthfully do enjoy the sweetness of the taste a little, but it seems messy and one-dimensional. Someone in another review said banana creme brulee, I'll agree with that. Mouthfeel is a too carbonated and boozy, has a decent creaminess. Drinkability suffers from that and the sweetness, I am pretty tolerable when it comes to sweetness in a beer so I didn't mind this too much but I know this would be a turn-off for others. Overall interesting effort, the taste wasn't bad, just wish it more balanced somehow.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

A: A golden straw color pour with a good layer of thick head

S: Some peaches and grapefruit on the nose along with a yeast smell

T: There is a tropical fruit flavor to this beer, like some people have mention bananas and I also detect some orange and honey as well. There is also some heat from the high abv but not as much as some might expect from a 9.5% beer

M: Medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation, very refreshing

D: Highly drinkable, with good fruit flavors and a bit of sweetness to balance the heat from the alcohol

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a lemony yellow, decent head. Have to be careful of the pour as you can easily pour a lot of the sediment from the bottle into your beer. Sweet smell....very fruity. This is a very drinkable beer, especially in the summer. I can see myself enjoying more then a few of the while the BBQ is heating up.

A: Pours a transparent yellow lemon color with a big fluffy white cap. Retention is OK, yeast chunks float around.

S: Spicy nose; lots of banana, bubblegum, clove, allspice and alcohol. Not too bad at all.

T: Spicy flavor as well, clovey and bananas. Yeast gives some bubbleum flavors ad fruity esters

MF/D: medium body, carbonation is a little prickly, alcohol is pretty well hidden

mobile review

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Had this at the Baltimore Beer Festival, was probably one of my favorites. Had all of the fruit/spice combinations that I would expect. Alcohol content high but the taste is not boozy. Hard to tell exactly what appearance was, as they gave us cups that were hard to see through.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a light golden color and very hazy on initial pour and tons of sediment - this was my fault for not taking care during the pour. After some time the beer clarified quite a beer, except for the sediment. It has a short-lived, stark white head.

At first I mostly smelled sweet grainy malt with a mix of musty/earthy aromas. With some effort I could pick up some very faint fruity aromas with a hint of bananas.

There's some light fruity flavors up front (mainly lemon, white grape, tart apple) with various fruity esters. These are quickly dominated by the spicy/yeasty character and bready malt with slight sweetness. The alcohol is very well hidden - only represented by some peppery flavors.

Pretty light bodied with sharp, prickly carbonation and some fizziness and a warming sensation. I found it really dry with lingering presence.

I find this beer pretty decent, although I found the flavor and aroma lacked a little depth.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

I can honestly drink glass after glass of this and not get bored.

Pouring it less cautiously with the bottle on more of a vertical angle will churn up a gorgeous, fluffy head - a spicy, clove aroma which carries over well into the flavor. Looks like sparkling apple juice at first, than it clouds up a bit.

There's a mead-like thick honey sweetness, variable depending on the batch - a little more in the mouthfeel than the flavor. A nice, warm, subtle alcohol sting hits when it's going down, but I've never found it remotely overpowering, even when I'm eating. Other strong triples (9-11%+ abv) I have that problem where I only taste the alcohol (maybe bad pairing?), who knows.

While beering, I usually ignore anything else I intended to get in order to have this on draft, when available, whenever. Not sure if I prefer more in the bottle or draft - both really tasty.

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

Out of the bottle it poured a slightly cloudy honey/orange color...very appealing to the eye. There was not much head and signs that the carbonation was light.

Apple and bananas hit your nose with a twinge of caramel. The yeast is noticeable and expected for this style. If there were hops, I could not discern them.

Now I know why this is called "Golden Monkey"; it tastes strongly of bananas. The caramel is evident as promised by the smell, as is a slight apple taste. The whole thing lends an overall impression of a banana creme brulee.

There is minimal carbonation. That and the distinct lack of foam makes me believe that the bottle I got may have had a cork that allowed some of the gases to escape. Perhaps if there had been more carbonation I would have found the flavors more balanced.

The wash of the flavors across the tongue is strong but fleeting. The aftertaste continues the rule of banana and lingers at the back of your palate.

I've had better examples of this style from North America. All of the elements of a great trippel are present, but get overshadowed by the overly predominate banana flavor.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz. bottle into pint glass.

The appearance is a cloudy, deep golden color with lots of yeast and a foamy white head. The aroma is a yeasty herbal scent with some nice sweet notes towards the end. The flavor is again of a herbal-clove note mixed with some sweet malts and a light touch of alcohol. There is also a light hint of banana as well. The mouthfeel is a nice medium body with a good bit of carbonation, although it is a bit heavy at times. There is a nice warming sensation from the alcohol and it maintains a good drinkability considering the ABV.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a crisp, sparkling golden hue, capped with a gorgeous rocky head. Wonderful aromas of peppery spice, Belgian yeast, honey malt and a hint of barnyard. A deliciously well balanced beer, with hints of citrus, sweet malt, banana, clove and drying alcohol. I could drink a lot of this one, as the carbonation levels make this one go down so smoothly, especially with the 9.5% alcohol content. An excellent buy, at less than $2 a bottle.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

this is my first taste of a Tripel style beer.

poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: hazy gold, with a small head of fizzy foam, doesn't stick around for long, but some frothy lacing remains.

S: flowery, yeast, and some bitter notes.

T: Pretty damn good, although I don't have anything to compare it too, not too bitter, but still has some hops to liven your tongue. Aftertaste is a mild hint of alcohol. Note: Does pack quite a punch, but is nothing like I wouldn't have expected judging by the alcohol content.

M: Fairly smooth. a bit creamy, a tad carbonated.

D: I enjoyed it, although I'm anxious to try more of the style, that being said, I would def. have again.

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: light & golden with minimal (fizzy) head. Lots of carbonation flows upward to the surface. Zero lacing.

S: malty & earthy, a tad hoppy too.

T: a medium-bodied, pretty standard tripel. A tad on the bitter side, not as complex as others, but not bad overall.

D: very drinkable for a tripel; smooth and refreshing.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Aroma - Aromatic hops like a lager with a slight background of Belgian spice notes, not exactly what you expect from a normal tripel

Appearance - Bright golden yellow with good carbonation

Taste - Spicy Belgian tripel with a touch of hops bite.

Notes - Good mouthfeel.

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy yellow into my SA Perfect Pint. Only about one finger of white head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Smell - Sweet bready malts at the forefront. Slight funk, lemon, banana, and cloves become noticeable as the beer warms up. There is also a slight honey/caramel aroma.

Taste - Woah, the first sip hits with an extremely sweet flavor. The sweetness immediately gives way to a strong banana flavor, and then finishes with heavy spices. There is a lot going on here, in a somewhat bad way. Each stage of the flavors is almost too violent and leaves my taste buds confused. The more I let this warm up I begin to taste a bit of pear as well. Overall this is a sipper.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - So so. I'm about halfway done with it and it is beginning to be a chore for me. As I stated in my taste section, this beer is almost too in your face. The flavors and spices to me are overwhelming, and the almost 10 percent alcohol content makes this quite a potent beer. I'm glad I tried it but not my favorite version of the style.

4.18/5  rDev +13%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours a hazy golden color with lots of bubbles and a finger and a half of white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing

S: Smells of banana and bubblegum, with some belgian funk as well, and some citrusy zest as well, and some spiciness and alcohol

T: Tastes of banana and other tropical fruits, with some bubblegum and citrus notes as well. Quite a bit of belgian funk, and some very subtle spice notes, cloves among others, finish out this complex beer. 9.5% abv is not noticeable at all.

M: Medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation

D: Very drinkable, but I wouldnt drink many of these, due to the high abv

Overall, this is a very good tripel, another great brew from Victory.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

A: This beer is a golden yellow. It pours with a large fluffy white head which recedes to a thin coating. There is ok, but not fantastic lacing.

S: There is a very sweet smell with this beer. Banana and caramel sweetness.

T: This is a very sweet beer. You can taste a bit of the clove character from the yeast. The alcohol comes out more and more as the beer approaches ambient temperature.

M: Good mouth feel. A little heavier than I was hoping for, but overall good. The amount of carbonation is moderate and sufficient.

D: Good drinkability, but one or two is definitely enough based on the 9.5% ABV