Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Best by 1/12/14 ~ poured into a goblet

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear light golden color, with a very thin white head. Quickly fades to about nothing. A little splotchy lace.

Smell- Strong phenols, banana, light spiceing.

Taste- Very mild flavor and very boozy. Light banana, some belgian yeast, very phenolic again. Sugary & Sweet. There is not much complexity to this. The alcohol pretty much over rides everything else.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, low carbonation, slick.

Overall- This is supposed to be a triple??? I have had this beer multiple times and have never been impressed. Not sure why I keep revisiting it... Its a "hot" mess.

3.47/5  rDev -6.2%

#89. Found this in a grocery store in Lilburn. Since I've had nothing but great experiences with Victory Brews in the past, I was quick to purchase this beer.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Beer pours a fizzy head that recedes rather quickly, but slows and condenses near the surface, then dissipates to a thin film. Lacing is lacking. Color is one of most true forms of standard yellow I have ever seen in a beer and is a slightly hazy gold, bringing some really nice visual characteristics to this beer when light hits the glass. Carbonation feverishly boils in clusters. One of the most interesting things is the tone of color of this beer. It is really interesting, and Golden monkey suits it quite well. The head could use some work, but otherwise this beer has a nice look to it. 3.5

(Smell) Some nice balance in here. Wheat-like light malts linger at the surface with a banana aroma and a slightly spicy aromatic arrangement joins in. Smell is real similar to a common Belgian Witbier, such as Hoegaarden White, but the aroma is slightly more dense and less airy with a more pronounced smell. A touch of honey and citrus peel is also notable in the scent, neither one immediately perceived but certainly could be in there. Hops are nearly absent, but such is common for the type. Aroma has a medium potency, not too weak for my nose but a boost wouldn't kill the quality. Overall, the smell is on the sweet side. Considering I enjoy a lot of Belgian-based light beers, I'm impressed by and ready for this. 4

(Taste) Light bready malts paired well with citrus, banana, honey and some prickly spice keep this beer interesting without being exhaustive. Slight alcohol tones peek through the flavor in big swigs. Personally, I could have preferred more pronounced malt flavor and a more dominant arrangement of flavoring spices rather than the bitter tones that dominate this one. What is here is plentiful in flavor, but unlike the nose, the beer is more bitter and less sweet. There's that characteristic Belgian white finish complete with a slight touch of coriander and citrus peel which is amongst my favorite finishes on any beer. Unfortunately, the flavors aren't as well pronounced throughout the majority of this beer. It seems like the depth of the flavors are about 3/4 of where they need to be. My thoughts on this is probably the high yeast content which likely casts over the other flavors somewhat, but you need abundant yeast for a high ABV, so beggars can't be choosers! All-in-all, there's certainly room for improvement, but this beer is closer to perfect than imperfect. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) A few things are interesting about the mouthfeel. There's a crisp spicy front from the spices and carbonation that border becoming draining on the tongue followed by a smooth but thin midsection of sweet malt and not much else. The finish is distinctly desert dry with some bitter tones. I'm really unsure about how much I enjoy the mouthfeel in this beer. It seems that the carbonation and the spices might be too bold and controlling for the other potentials this beer has. Body is light-medium and alcohol is for the most part well hidden. This might be the area that needs most improvement. 3

(Drinkability) Strangely filling. That's good news too considering the high ABV. The flavors aren't quite as pronounced as I had hoped, and what was promised in the smell didn't quite carry over like I had hoped. The end result was something quite different; a largely bitter and frail taste, more than expected. The beer is far from bad. I would not mind having another two in a sitting. The filling tendencies of this beer are what would most likely shut me down. It's likely to impress a bitter wheats audience. 3

Verdict: This may not be the best beer Victory has to offer, as I found the flavor profile lacking, but the appearance and smell were spot on, if only they could be reproduced in what I tasted and felt. Not a bad buy, but I probably wouldn't get it often, as I'm sure there are better options for Tripels as well as ones that are more characteristic of Tripels (I found this one played it's cards close to a yeasty Belgian White with a high ABV). Worthy of a try, but equally worthy of some sprucing up. B- (3.5)

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a lovely golden yellow. Not much of a head, but I probably just poured it really terribly into my glass.

The smells is amongst the best in terms of the tripels I've had.

A rich bold yeasty, spicy smell with some fruity backup scents. Gorgeous.

The taste....YES. A nice spicy, bread and yeast sort of blend. Bold, but not too overpowering. Absolutely exceptional.

Smooth in the mouth considering pretty decent carbonation.

Drinkability is perfect. Exceptionally smooth for 9% abv, and a taste I love to come back to more and more. Probably my second favorite tripel. Great beer!

4.74/5  rDev +28.1%

Pours a Golden Yellow, bright and clean with a nice creamy head. I'll be honest, I looked at the BA review as I was deciding weather or not I would buy this brew. I am so glad I did. It's heavily carbonated, which I'm personally fine with and heavily acholated. That's not a word but I'm finishing this growler right now, the carbonation I think hides the alcohol well. Also do smell a light Banana flavor, maybe that's where it gets it's name from. A very very bready, Banana bready taste that I really like. Not too sweet per say, I've definitely had sweeter beers so can't complain about that. I love the aftertaste. I think it is really drinkable and will definitely be going so far as to recommending this to all my friends.

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

A - light yellow, not guite golden; lots of sediment - even with a careful pour, thin head

S - yeasty & floral

T - little bready, light alcohol sting, yeasty; not as powerful as other tripels I've had; sweet

M - rather thin compared to other tripels

D - adequate -- no big complaints, but not heaping any praise either; warms the body fairly quickly but misses the rich flavor I expect from a tripel

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

A - pours into a clear light golden color with a full foamy head

S - smells very citrisy and malty

T - a bitter taste with malt which tries to be Belgian white...

M - leaves an after taste that just doesnt sit right with me, almost forcing myself to deal with it

D - pretty drinkable i'd say, that after taste is kind of bothering me as i drink it though....to avoid it, you must drink more...

the idea behind this beer was the Belgian white style brewing....they kind of did it but not too well i think...very malty with citris and other spices that accumulate into an aftertaste for the tasteless....ok well maybe not that bad, but still its different...I can still drink it and enjoy it to some point and i think the fact that its like a Belgian white that i can stand it...in conclusion, its alright, just alright..

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

The day after the madness...My house has no roof on it....

Pours a roiling and super carbonated light amber with hint of orange. Some sediment from the bottle conditioning. A two-three fingers of rocky head persists and leaves nice lacing. This is a great looking ale. Aromas are robust and as expected, showing yeasty spice like clove, some citrus, and a clean, fresh scent like grass in late Spring...Flavor is wonderfully yeasty and spicy. Very rich and full in the mouth, with a touch of sweetness but not over the top. Some bitterness from the bottle conditioning near the late middle carries into the finish, but it's a welcome bitterness rather than off putting. Very nice beer. It was a gift so no idea how expensive. Worth tracking down as it is quite flavorful and refreshing, but not super unique for the style. 9.5% ABV, wow, is well masked. Actually I just now realized they call this a tripel and I totally had it pegged as a Golden Ale...Now I understand the low ratings...

What I like most: The nice rich and refreshing flavor profile.

What I like least: The lack of originality.

Verdict: awesomely representative of the style (if it were trying to be a Golden Ale) and worth tracking down, but not unique.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%

Drink by date is 12/9/15

Pours a rather boring yellow/light-orange with almost no head or lacing. Aromas and taste of malt and spice sweetness come through, but with too much carbonation.

A medium body that relies too much on carbonation. The 9.5% ABV is very well hidden.

This is the first Tripel I have had, so I can't say how well it captures the style,having had no others to compare it to. Just a little too sweet for my liking. But a good brew nonetheless.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Golden and translucent with a 1 inch thick lingering head and bubbles swirling throughout the glass, it looks like a storm
S: bubblegum, some citrus fruits also, almost reminiscent of belgian whites and even the german style weisse, but much milder and kind of boring
T: not as much bubblegum as in the nose but it is sweet and i can definitely taste the cloves and some maltiness, and due to the high ABV it has a strong alcohol flavor that sits on the back of my tongue
M: a good amount of carbonation that moves quickly from the front to the back of my tongue, sits for a moment and stings a little, and is gone as quickly as it came
D: overall a good tasting beer, and at such a high alcohol content (9.5% ABV) it is pretty easy to drink. I think it is a decent beer...not the best from Victory (which I love) but in a variety pack it is a good change of pace

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured bottle into chimay chalice.

A- Pours about one finger of effervescent white head, recedes fairly quickly to a ring around the glass. Bubbles racing up to the surface indicate a well carbonated brew. Color is a beautiful gold and lemon blend.

S- The complexities of tripel aroma's are there, although kind of faint. The more dominant aroma is bubble gum, clove and the famous victory yeast strain. Almost smells more like a hefeweizen then a tripel.

T- Again the complex flavors of a tripel are present like in the nose, but weak. Apple, vinegar, and some sourness is there but not stand out. Does have a bubble gum taste to this also. Lastly, wait for it...Bananas!! Although towards the back of the flavor profile, fitting for the beers name of course. The booze could be masked a little better.

M- Highlty carbonated but I don't mind all that much. Does cause air pockets to build up and induces some burping. Light to medium bodied. Seems to get thicker as you roll this in your mouth, not a lot but some viscosity.

D- An ok Tripel. Give me Westmalle any day of the week! But a good attempt from victory, their V-12 Quad hit the style waaayy better but the Tripel is harder to do. I wouldn't turn one of these down, but wouldn't down too many as you'll be on your ass. Interesting section of the Victory website is "Respect the Monkey". I think that should say something about its drinkability.

2.71/5  rDev -26.8%

A: bright gold without any haze. im actually surprised that there is no haze here. carbonation is crazy. a multitude of different sized bubbles. finer bubbles pushing around larger. fluffy white head sits proudly on top.

S: soft fruit and cracked black pepper. trying hard to discern more complexity, but cant get anything distinctive.

T: some of that same soft fruit sensed in the nose. a little bit of banana and pear. a touch of alcohol. the finish dissipates relatively quickly, especially for the style.

M: gentle carbonation on a body that is a little bit too light. spicy tingle on the finish.

D: a good brew, but im struggling to draw a significant amount of similarities to a tripel.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

A cloudy golden yellow color pour with a 3 finger full white head. Aroma is very nice a grainy,yeasty,spicy mixture that begs you to take a drink. Flavor is more complex than I had expected, quite malty,slightly sweet,wheaty,a big spicy profile of clove, ginger, corriander,and peppercorns,some bananna and a hint of lemon peel, a dry,grainy crisp mouthfeel,with a long dry finish,very tasty.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

A - frothy white head, amber. Slight lacing.
S - Green apple, pear, slight cheesy funkiness
T - Grain, clove, banana, spicy slightly, alcohol. Very sweet, moreso as it warms. Bitter aftertaste
MF - Fairly bubbly, clean.
DB - 1 and done.

Quick review, have to go.
On tap at Market Cross Pub.

Not a great beer, missing a lot of complexity that other strong belgian-style beers tend to have. Too grainy and sweet in my opinion. Good, not great.

1.88/5  rDev -49.2%

One of the worst beers ever made....Way to sweet. More like a first timers beer. Very disappointing. For the price your better off getting a chimay tripple. For the taste... your better off with a bud lite. I like the lable though. Wish it tasted at least as good as it looked.

2.51/5  rDev -32.2%

This isn't a bad beer, exactly. It's just... difficult to justify purchasing.

The color is nice, a pretty translucent golden, and the bottle is on the sexier end of the spectrum. pours nicely, smells decent (very fruity, especially banana) and has a good sticky head.

But the taste. It's... not right, somehow. Too sweet, cloying and almost overwhelmingly sticky. Oddly the alcohol isn't covered up at all by this mass of fruity odor; it combines with it to hit you over the head. Let it warm up a little and you can't take a sip without that involuntary head-shiver going on.
Not smooth at all, plus it *burns* going down, and not in a good warming way.

Hard to describe, but this beer almost feels like a grouping of separate parts that don't work together. Not a coherent mix at all, and not a good representation of the style either.

That said, I'll still occasionally drink this stuff if it's there, and if I've already had a beer or two (of another kind) so my judgment has been impaired slightly. But I always regret it afterward.

Also, without fail this stuff will give me a massive headache when I wake up the next morning - way out of proportion to the actual amount of beer consumed. So there's that.

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle has a nice description of the beer, an "enjoy by" date and the abv% (9.5) on the label.

Appearance: The body has a hazy pale golden color with lots of yeast sediment and effervescent bubbles. The head is tall and light in color. It quickly settles to a very thin wisp layer. It still makes a few nice lace rings before fading though.

Smell: There are nice fresh fruity banana and orange juice like esters in the nose along with light bready yeast notes. I also get a slight fruity/citrus hop like note the background.

Taste/Palate: On the tongue the flavor matches the nose with estery and bready yeast and maltiness. This is followed up with some citrus hop notes blending in with spice and a touch of abv. The hop notes dry out the yeast and malt in the finish and then a slow fading bitterness takes over. The palate is well carbonated and lively.

Notes: I enjoyed this beer and felt that it was quite easy to drink for a 9.5% beer.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this in my authentic DT snifter from a 12 oz bottle. The ABV and 'best-by' date on the label. Hazy golden/orange in color.
Thin head that persists, with good carbonation. Lots of tiny bubbles forming at the surface.
Aroma is high on spices (cloves and coriander), actually it is too spicy for my liking. Hints of bread/yeast, sweet fruity esters coming through.
Taste is very fruity with the spice coming through intermittently.
Slightly watery mouthfeel. Definitely warms the insides with every sip. This is not the best tripel, but worth a try. Not sure I would be going out of my way looking for this one again.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours a clear, glowing gold with a lusciously creamy white head that refuses to dissipate. Sheets of lace are left as the glass is swirled, and there's lots of visible carbonation.
S - Sweet banana, bready malt, lemon zest, and spices (coriander, cloves, and Grains of Paradise). Very crisp and clean.
T - Banana dominates the flavor, with more bready malt, citrus, and strong spices. Surprising amount of hop bitterness in the finish, along with a noticeable amount of alcohol.
M - Smooth and creamy with a medium body, crisp carbonation, and a dry finish.
D - While I have in the past drank a number of these in a sitting, it's not something I'd recommend. The ABV sneaks up quickly, so beware!

2.91/5  rDev -21.4%

POured a 12 oz bottle at about 48 degrees. Little or no head. appearance is clear/golden. Not much cloudiness, not much sweetness. Maybe a few spices, but they add to it's tartness rather than sweetness. Maybe a better cold beer drinkers beer. Flavors could have been more layered or defined.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

I have heard of this beer before but never had the opportunity to try this beer. Got it in a bottle and was pretty impressed with it. It reminded me of a dark beer but wasn't filling. The taste was rather hoppy without a strong after taste. I like this beer but you have to be careful because it does have a high alcohol content.

4.55/5  rDev +23%

This is my first review, hopefully I its not too bad.

The first time I had this beer I had it on tap at a local bar and enjoyed it very much. I am a huge fan of Belgian style ales and this one is favorite. Even with a high abv of 9.5 it is very easy to drink without having a strong alchol taste. The drinkability is great and its easy to drink more than one in a single sitting.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured into tulip glass.

A: gold, slightly cloudy, decent head and retention

S: Orange, fruity

T: Subtle orange, spice

M: Low carb, dry finish, low body

D: Perhaps I'd have a second, but no guarantee. There was some malt character and spiciness coming through.

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

A - A clear golden color. Decent head retention. Not much lace on the glass. Alot of bubbles rising through the beer.

S - Faint sweet aromas. The aroma is the weakest link, as it is not a strong aroma.

T - Excellent. Sweet malts and honey flavors. Spices round out the mix.

M - Drinks smoothly. Highly carbonated.

D - Very drinkable for such a high ABV beer. I could drink several of these. A very good beer that I will be buying again.

3.32/5  rDev -10.3%

Golden, transparent brew with floating yeast. Creamy white head with nice lace mountains.

Smell of bananas, cloves, yeast and pine. Interesting.

Flavor is a bit of a disappointment, however. Nice banana and lemon flavor. Piney and leafy hop. Grains overwhelm the profile mid-drink. Finish is sour and puckering, and not in a good way. Alcohol character is a bit too pronounced.

Medium thickness with lots of bubbles.

Overall, its descent. Definitely not the worst beer in the world but there is lots of room for improvement. The sour aftertaste is really what ruined it for me.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

Drank for a snifter.

Apperance- A nice cloudy deep straw color with a good head that sat a about 1/2 inch and stayed around for a bit.

Smell- Did not have a very overwhelming aroma to it but I did quickly notice some hints of spicey notes and a little bannana perhaps.

Taste- I was not ready for this. Strong clove and bannana tast with a nice hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel- An enjoyable mouthfeel however it didn't hang around very long. I had to keep sipping so I didn't forget how it tasted.

Drinkability- Over all I enjoyed Golden Monkey. I hadn't ready the lable (other than the name) untill I had first tried it. My first impressions during my pour where Pils. I had not long before finished Prima from Victory. So when I took my first sip I enjoyed how much character this beer came with.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company