Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
3.72/5  rDev +0.5%

Another victory treat. I know to sip this one.

A- pours a golden yellow with a white head that disappears pretty quick. Floaties are all over this brew. It looks inviting as most victory brews do in my opinion

S- pears, bready yeast, cloves, and slightly banana. Some spices are there. This is a good scent

T- great flavor! The bananas and clove flavor are fantastic. The sweet fruit flavor is has a little zing to it. Good spices with some dry flavor at the end

M- big carbonation with a medium body

D- sip this bad boy! I can definitely enjoy victory's depiction of the style.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Look: First pours clear golden/straw with a generous bubbly white head. Left some in the bottom to gather the yeast, and poured the rest- cloudy orange from the yeast. Passable retention, decent lacing.

Smell: Musty yeast with orange peel and apricot.

Taste: Sweet fruits on the tongue with bitter hops on the tongue and palate. Clean light citrus and caramel going down. Dry hoppy finish with a bready aftertaste.

Feel: Rather round with a touch of carbonation.

Drink: Not a terrible drink, but lacking the complexity of a great tripel. Nary a hint of alcohol, but plenty of bitter spices.

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

A fresh bottle brought to me by a friend on state-to-state travel via car.

Pours an astonishingly light pale straw color. It's been too damn long since I've had a triple. Nice white / off white foam of nice density. Very pretty. If I had poured better, this could be brilliantly clear

S: Nice amount, but appropriate hop aroma for an American interp of the style; maybe a bit much for a true tripel. Swirling aroma of sweet pear, candi and apple. I can't wait to drink it.

T: THIS is what I've been missing. An excellent balance of malt sweetness with candi sugar notes and pale fruit combined with a gentle snap of bitterness. It's a touch sweet for a belgian tripel, but much better than most. Completely satisfying and a beer I'd drink all day.

M: Very good. It could be a bit drier to be perfect, but no real complaints.

D: I could probably drink this all day and not realize what was happening until after 3 or 4. A dangerous brew.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

I had high hopes since I am a tripple lover!!

Beer poured a semi cloudy golden color with a finger head, in an over-sized wine glass.

I think what turned me off on this beer was the spices, too much cloves, the cinnamon was evident but not overwhelming! Had great body and the %9.4 ABV was not known.

I barely finished one bottle, thanks to a friend for sharing I don;t see myself buying a 6pack of this. I will stick with a La Fin Du Monde or New Belgium Tripple!!

3.49/5  rDev -5.7%

Another of my Christmas gift collection. Poured it into a tulip glass.

A - Start off with a pretty, darkened gold color and a thick head. Sadly, the retention wasn't at all there. Add the lack of lacing and it turned out to be quite average looking. Surprisingly clear.

S - Hm... Interesting. A surprising scent of hops, coriander, bready malts. The citrus, grapefruit backbone almost reminds me of a Belgian IPA. I won't complain about this, but it is a bit odd and unexpected.

T - Hard to judge this one. I like it, that's for sure. There's a decent, tripel flavor there. Lots of spices and cloves, and the trademark Belgian flavor that the yeast adds. The finish is unbelievably boozy, though. Makes it kind of a tough customer to keep going through.

M - The body is medium and smooth, but the finish is ridiculously dry. I don't mind dry beers, but this is a bit over the top. It's not bad, just... not for me.

D - It's such an untamed beer that it's hard to get through without a struggle. Very much a slow-drinker... The dry character combined with the alcohol-inspired kick makes it a challenge.

Overall/notes - Not up to the typical standards I hold for tripels. Don't get me wrong, there's quality in this brew, but it's not subtle enough. Great for the extremists out there, I guess. For a simple beer drinker such as myself, it's too rough. It served me well at Christmas Eve with the family, though.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a golden body with a nice head initially. Head dwindles to minimal lacing on body. Smells of alcohol, banana bread and cloves, but mostly like alcohol-this is a high [EtOH] beer. Tastes strongly like banana bread with a slightly spicy feel on the sides on the tongue. Finishes with dryness from the alcohol and a slight oily feel. Overall, a very nice Belgian-style ale from a great brewery.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden straw color; not quite typical of a tripel or BSPA, there's an odd tinge to this, maybe like a percentage of a drop of green food coloring made it into the beer (no idea what's giving it that tone).

S: Smells like grapefruit and coriander.

T: Very sweet and citrusy, with a huge rush of banana on the finish; unfortunately there's not enough else going on to entirely back this up.

M: Mouthfeel is above average, it's slightly thick and quite pleasant.

D: Wouldn't want two of these, but the first one went down just fine.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a hazy yellow w/ great white fluffy head, decent lacing. I'm picking up white grapes and pears w/ a faint hop aroma. Tastes bittersweet, slightly spicy; finishes bery dry. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, maybe too much carbonation even for the style.. it's not too rough though Alcohol is well hidden, making it very drinkable.. you'd never guess is was 9.5% abv.

I've never been the biggest fan Golden Monkey, but I always come back for single now and then. It's a fun beer to drink. This is not what I look for in a Tripel, but still makes a good beer. I also think this is a good one for people just getting into craft beers.

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

Victory's Golden Monkey 12oz bottle @ 47* into my DFH oversized snifter. Freshness date Nov 12th 2013.

Pours a crystal clear golden/yellow tinge with a 1/2" bubbly white head that dissipate's immediately. Seriously, within 10 seconds.

Smells of typical Belgian bread like yeast with fruit esters like banana, clove, and white grapes. Theres a bit of earthy hops in the mix with a slight spice character. I'm not sure whats going on with the reviewer below me but there is absolutely no "bitter" smell in this brew.

Tastes of the same old so-so American Belgian replica ale. I'd like to point out that this brew is almost exactly on point with a Belgian Pale Ale, (ie. Leffe, Duvel) not a Tripel by far, just a little ramped up on the malt bill. Once again with the review below, there are no bitter or astringent flavors in this brew. If you want to know what bitter is, go grab a Lagunitas Hop-Stoopid, Avery Hog Heaven, or a SN Bigfoot. Typical Banana, spice, and yes we all know, cloves.. This beer lingers on the tongue for a while which is pleasing.

The feel of this brew is clean and crisp, just like a nice bubbly Tripel should be.

Overall this is a decent brew to chill with, but I'll never put up the ungodly high bill ($11.99) for a 6pk of this stuff. Ive had this beer on many occasions, and whenever I see it for $1.79 @ Hop City a bottle I usually pick some up for my wife. Dont get me wrong, I have plenty of high priced bottles in our cellar, but this brew is simply not worth the price tag. Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +23.5%

Appearance: Very bright gold with a two-finger head.

Aroma: Bitter smell right off the bat. Spices and herbal quality shines through.

Taste: Again, bitter taste but also a good balance with a sweet honey-like quality. Favorite part about the taste is the herbal character and bitterness. Great aftertaste compared to other beers of this style. However, does not seem to fit in well with other tripel styles. I still like the taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Very good.

Drinkability: Although it is not as comparable to other tripels, I still enjoy the drinkability of it and the earthy herbal qualities. This is something I would enjoy on a regular basis.

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Presentation: Poured into a Duvel tulip from a 12oz brown bottle.

A: Hazy, golden-straw color. Nice fluffy white head that quickly turns to a thin white lace. Minimal lacing.

S: Faint floral with a bready but yeasty scent in the nose. More citrus as the beer warms.

T&M: Smooth, creamy, rich and full-bodied beer. Hops hit with soft floral notes. Some spicy bitterness. Mild malty sweetness with bread and yeast flavors.

Decent tripel but not too original. Decent fallback but nothing I'm going out of my way to make a regular drinker.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

I got a few bottles from my buddy drinkybanjo a few months ago. Saved it for a special occaision. Last sunday we had a beer tasting session where we drank this beer.

Very nice head and good carbonation. Taste is very soft and 'round'. The whole group was very impressed with this triple.

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz. bottle

Big creamy head. Settles in a bit over 10 minutes. Leaves some light lacing.

Nose: Big bready, grainy, malty, Belgian yeast, slight banana w/decent amount of spicy, earthy/herbal hops. A hint of pine & a bit of green hash.

Palate: Very pale malt. Spicy, grainy, dry-ish. Slightly fruity/spicy, but dry with light, but persistently earthy hoppy finish & aftertaste.

Carries it's 9.5% ABV very well indeed.

GREAT drinkability.

92 1/2 Points

Love the style. Firmer & dryer than a classic Tripel, but that's why I like it so much.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

A-cloudy golden yellow, thin white head

S-sweet belgian spices, very sweet and pronounced

T-mmm hits with an impressive strong blast and then a good banana like yeast comes in that resembles a hefe. ends with a tanginess that is weird but the after-taste is that of spicy wheat. The first drink is the best but the quality slowly dwindles as you drink it.

M-medium carbonation with a good, creamy finish tho the alcohol note is strong

D-it gets more tangy as the drink goes on...its not a great drinkability....it was difficult to finish. The alcohol burn is too much for this one i think.

3.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a muddy straw-gold into a tulip with a finger of brilliant, fluffy white head that receded rather quickly. Aroma of banana, clove, and a hint of honey and spice.

Slightly high carbonation and a creamy, full mouthfeel. Quite sweet up front with lots of banana, pepper, and some biscuity caramel malt. Pleasant dry finish with hints of ginger and spice and a mildly warming alcohol presence.

Initially I found this beer to be a little too sweet, but as it warmed the spicy elements emerged and contributed to a drier, more balanced overall impression. Solid tripel overall!

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Victory Golden Monkey has a light orange colour and a head that dies away but decent lacing remains. The smell is fairly weak, but what's there is spicy. It has a taste of bitter cloves into a smooth aftertaste which isn't better or alcoholic. This beer is nicely carbonated and thick. Watch out, this beer is very drinkable considering the alcohol content.

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Golden Monkey pours a crystal-clear golden color with a creamy white head that persists for a long time leaving little lacing. It is a great looking beer nonetheless.

Aroma is of malt sweetness with loads of yeasty esters: banana, clove, orange, lemon. Lots of booze towards the finish.

Taste follows nose with a bready and honey-like malty start that gets overpowered by lots of yeast byproducts, again with banana/clove dominating but also some citric and spicy notes. Finish is extremely dry and astringent. Banana and clove are again present in the aftertaste. Alcohol warmth follows.

I thought that for a triple, the body of this beer was a little to thin. Carbonation is very high.

Overall this is a triple that loses fair and square to its best belgian (Karmeliet and the trappists) and north american (Unibroue and Allagash come to mind) counterparts. However this still has a great cost/benefit relationship and is readily available in my area.

3.89/5  rDev +5.1%

Finally decided to own up and make an account to start reviewing. This is my first review, hopefully of many - but sadly i've missed out on a lot of beers by not taking notes. Oh well, from here on out I hope to be a pretty full-fledged member to BA.

Poured into a snifter. Best by October 2013.

A - It pours a hazy golden orange color with about a one finger head that dissapates fairly quickly but leaves an almost endless amount of carbonation.

S - I like the smell of this beer, it is big on bread, spice, banana, hops and most of all clove.

T - They've done a really good job hiding the ABV on this one, as there isn't as much alcohol taste as I expected by looking at the label. Banana and cloves dominate this beer, with other spices, and a hint of lime before the hops kick in. The clove lasts forever, well after I finished the bottle.

M - This is a bit dry, with a decent hoppy presence but the overabundance of carbonation isn't a winner in my book.

D - This beer is suprisingly easy to drink, considering the high ABV and they've picked a good slogan in "Respect the Monkey" because this can sneak up on someone. A good beer considering the price tag. If you're big on tripels, like myself, you will enjoy this beer - but there are plenty better out there when you've got the money to spend.

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz Bottle. Best by June 2013 / Drank on Dec 06, 2010

Pours a nice hazy golden yellow with a little bit of head that quickly dissapates.

Smells spicy with a bit of banana, slight alcohol notes.

Tastes just like it smells: prominent banana and yeast with some spice, but a tad sweeter. Nice warmth from the alcohol going down but nothing too much.

Medium body to it, about what I expected. Not too thin, not too creamy.

Drinkability is very high. It's hard to not go for a second or third, but with 9.5% ABV, you need to be careful.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers from my favorite local brewery and I'd never turn down the opportunity to have one or two of these.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

I've been meaning to try this one for years, although I think Victory as a whole is probably a little overrated. This is also my second monkey themed brew of the year. This one needs to beat out 400 Pound Monkey for the title. Pours golden into my goblet with a finger of white head that reverts to thin cap in about four minutes. Nose is floral hops, yeast, a little spice, sweet malt, and plenty of alcohol. I knew this was 9.5 but it sure smells like it.

A little hops up front, followed by spice and a little citrus. Next it's all booze again clean through to the finish. Maybe a little pepper and grapeskin as well. Still, not nearly as nuanced or complex as I was hoping for. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp with high carbonation but it seems to fit this one well.

This isn't bad at all, just uninspiring. It grew on me a little bit as I drank it so maybe I'd get it again under the right circumstances. Just a little more sizzle than steak but that does seems to be Victory's rep.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz bottle. Clearly marked enjoy-by date. (2013 may be pushing it..)

Pours an ever-so-delicate light gold. Many carb trails, and the white head soon becomes a small ring. Smell is peppery and more peppery. The taste is nicely complex, definitely spicy, but also mildly tart and lemony, with a satisfying hop kick. The feel is buttery smooth and carbonated. Drinkability high for the ABV. Good tripel here.

3.42/5  rDev -7.6%

84th review on BA
Bottle to snifter

App- A very hazy buttery yellow, started off with a nice 1 finger tight head.

Smell- Belgian yeast smell with the citrus and spice I was expecting.

Taste- This is where it went downhill. The spice notes are there but lacks some bite and big spice flavor. A bit flat on the finish.

Mouth- A bit thicker than I would have thought. Nice carbonation though.

Drink- Not bad, Probably will have again to try to find a fresher bottle.

3.17/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A moderately hard pour into a Duvel tulip almost fills the glass with a murky pale orange body topped by a full, fluffy banana scented head. The head dies back most of the way but some lacing remains.

Bananas, cloves, maybe some peppery notes, with some alcohol to kick it in the pants. Smells like a hefeweizen on steroids.

Bananas, cloves, a little sweetness and a lot of alcohol. Very solvent-like alcohol - pretty harsh. Some citrusy character, orange or lemon, but it's very much in the background. Too much bitterness, though I wonder if it isn't just the alcohol since it doesn't feel the same as most bitter drinks I've had.

Thinnish mouthfeel but with good carbonation to cut through some of the alcohol. Creamier would have been better but wouldn't have had a chance against the alcohol.

Did I mention the alcohol? Whew! Some beers are 10% and drink like they're 6%, this one is 9.5% and drinks like it's 14%.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

Not a terrible beer, but nothing special either. Pours a clear golden color with moderate rocky white head. The clarity of the beer is odd considering the yeast it leaves on the bottom of my glass. Smell is a decent tripel, yeast, apple, pear, bread, but the alcohol shows up. Same thing on the flavor, nothing off, just boozy. MF is a bit prickly and light--the carbonation is sharp, not creamy. Decent drink, made a bit harder by the apparent alcohol. Not terrible, but give me Hennepin instead for my American Tripel/BSPA category.

3.32/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a medium pale golden color with a nearing soda like white head that disappears not long after the pour. Very little patchy lacing around the glass. Seems to have a balanced smell between the hops and malts. There's the fruity malts at first, like apples maybe a little peach. The alcohol is present as well. More so as the beer warms. Then you get the sorta citrus/floral notes in the background. The citrus notes are more along the lines or oranges rather than grapefruits. The nose finishes clean. Has a some what grainy earthy taste up front but then gets into the sweet fruit flavors like apple. Then your hit with the citric hops. Still along the lines of an orange flavor. It ends with a bitter aftertaste that lingers for a while. It has a medium body, smooth and carbonated. There's a little more carbonation then I would like. With a little less carbonation I think it would smooth out the body a little more making for a creamier mouthfeel. All in all this beer is ok. Dont think i could drink more than a couple of these. Not a very good representation of the style but not a bad beer. I could see myself buying this beer again although not a six pack. If i see singles then maybe. At 12.49 a sixer your better off getting something else.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company