Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Oh how I love to hate the golden monkey! The first time I tried this beer was also my first belgian experience. Hated it. I got back on the horse because the S-I-L raves about the stuff and I got hooked on it at their wedding. Now I hate it for an entirely different reason.

It pours golden yellow, slightly cloudy but less than expected. No lacing whatsoever. Where are the hop oils, man? Aroma is light, herbal and floral with an underlying sweet smell. Taste is initially sharp with an ETOH flavor kick that disappears almost as quickly as it came and the lingering flavors are very pleasant -- candy sugar, bready and malty, spicy hop notes as well. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with crisp carbonation level. Finish is dry and the drinkability is devilishly good for such a potent potable. Its a shame the name duvel was already taken.

The only downside is that I am, almost, completely worthless the day following consumption. And yes its happening again. Drink with caution and have nothing strenuous planned mentally or otherwise. Putting on my sweatpants correctly followed by successfully microwaving a pizza is the best possible outcome for tomorrow.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured a cloudy orange with inch thick head. You can smell the yeasty spicy belgian sweetness. Taste is sweet, floral, spicy clove and warm alcohol. Could really parse through all of the differnt flavors. The clove spice mixes well with the high carbonation tingle and alcohol to create a good bite. The flavor does last a long time and shows up stronger and stronger after the initial taste. Very tasty and there is a stong alcohol flavor that sticks around. Very smooth mouthfeel.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle without any sort of date. the place on the label where it usually is is blank. odd.

A- clear golden colored body with just about a finger of head. small particles of yeast can be seen in the glass. the head sticks around for a minute or two before becoming just a crown. leaves some lace on the sides of my tulip.

S- belgian yeast and bready malts upfront. very mild. slight banana and clove as well. not very unique for this style.

T- very spicy with lots of clove. the yeast and bready malts take a backseat, and a burning from the alcohol comes to the front.

M- medium bodied with a high level of carbonation and a strong warming from all the alcohol.

D- this one tastes green. it could use some time in the cellar to reduce the spiciness and alcohol burn, and let the malt's tastes come through a little more. one is enough for this one right now. not victory's finest.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Hazy, golden color...one-fingered head that quickly disappated, leaving a thin ring around the edges...swirling brings back a light, foamy head

S- Mostly bananas and cloves...get some alcohol...nutty malts take it toward a banana bread aroma

T- Immediately tast the alcohol...spicy - cloves and allspice...lots of banana when the beer gets to the back of my mouth...sweetness increases throughout

M- Smooth and creamy...a good bit of alcohol warming...high carbonation adds to the creaminess

D- Pretty drinkable for the ABV...not the best tripel that I have had, but still a quality beer...I know that the spicy flavor is not for everyone, but I enjoy it

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a snifter.

A-Fluffy, lucious bright white head, moderate retention. Streaming bubbles of carbonation rise from the bottom. Glowing golden beer, slightly hazed.

S-Banana, cloves, spices. Semi-sweetness of malts with mucho fruitiness. Overall, quite delicate aroma.

T-Thick malty sweetness with spices abound. Slight citrus, with other fruitiness mixed in, to form a very forward fruitiness.

M-High carbonation, medium-bodied beer. Warming aclohol, well hidden in the flavor.

D-Moderate to high. Quite complex and enjoyable, along with being easy to drink, despite the higher ABV.

3.54/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear gold, with a rocky head that leaves a lot of lacing behind

Smell: Banana, fermented honey, clove and acetone

Taste: With a banana bread start, the spices quickly arrive to add a distinct clove flavor; plenty of fusel alcohol also arrives by mid-palate; after the swallow, the alcohol is rather dominant, too, and overwhelms the more subtle spice flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation and a lot of warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: I am not a big fan of many tripels and this beer embodies a number of things I don't like about the style; way too hot and sweet, with a lack of balance; to some, this may be a classic tripel and I can understand their perspective; it is just not the interpretation of the style that I prefer

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

Had this one in the past, and didn't love it. But that was before my advocating days. So let's see if I have greater appreciation now.

Appearance - So far, not so hot. A pretty pale golden/yellow color. Not a lot of soapy head. Not a hell of a lot better looking than a Miller Lite, to be perfectly honest.

Smell - Very sweet candy. Some lemon citrus as well. A little booziness as well. Little honey. Also some of that adjuncty straw-funk smell.

Taste - Sticky sweet. Seriously, like a beer candy bar or something. Tons of sugars, a little fruit as well. It follows with that funky straw taste. The booze is pretty apparent. It definitely has some spice as well. Clove notes. It's not terrible.

Mouthfeel - Nice and crisp on the mouth. Good carbonation. Not syrupy at all.

Drinkability - No thanks. Too sweet, not balanced enough. I love Belgians, but not this one. Just too sweet for me, and the booze is so prevalent.

Not a terribly well balanced beer. It's got some good Belgian characteristics (the spice is nice, it has some good citrus) but it also has some adjunct garbage (it's so light, the appearance is lousy, that straw funk).

Overall, this just isn't a great beer. The only difference between this time and last is that now I understand what it is I don't like about it.

4.28/5  rDev +16%

To me this is one of the best beers that I have had from Victory Brewing.

Poured into a plisner glass from a bottle; I know wrong glass but I had a few already tonight for this review. This beer pours a nice White head that sits a top a golden/copper colored brew.

The beer is bottle conditioned and has a nice appearance. With a nice head and nice lacing, good head retention.

The beer has a smell of floral, (banana maybe ?!?!) Sweet smell and yeasts.

The beer has a nice bubbly, smooth creamy finish mouthfeel.

The drinkability of this beer is top notch, I could easily buy a case of this brew. One of the better american brewed triple's I have tried. Very good and very drinkable brew. After a few of these I have noticed the alcohol in the taste, and in the effects...uhh.

Could get a case of this, very nice.

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Pours a clear golden color with a large foamy white head. Decent retention.

S- Plenty of alcohol warmth, spicy and sweet but I'm also detecting a fair amount of hops. Call me crazy but it's like a candy sweet pilsner.

T- Plenty of alcohol warmth. " Belgian style" sweetness but again, a fair dose of hoppiness. An earthy, grassy German hoppiness in the finish. Overall the flavor profile is somewhat bland.

M- Medium to full bodied, carbonation is appropriate, plenty of alcohol warmth on the way down.

D- Very good. A respectable offering from an American brewery. I've had better Trippels but I also paid considerably more for them.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

Reviewed 03/20/09 the first day of spring finally

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Floreffe Chalice. Moderate pour moderately light pour conjures no head what so ever. Lace-less. Color is a clear straw yellow with a few floaties.

Nose- Light sweet and sour lemon notes. Odd smell. Not much going on.

Palate- Sticky sweet, some apricot, pear. Mild lemon. Some cloves and a pleasant bite at the end. Finishes dry, with notes of dry fruit, pineapple, papaya and clove. Slightly hot.

Mouthfeel- active, and slightly oily.

Drinkability- Pretty good. I wouldn't go out of my way to locate.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Not sure if I got a bad bottle, so maybe I will be back to review this another time. However:

Opening the bottle caused a minor explosiong, and this bottle had been at rest for some time. About 1/3 of the bottle had fizzed away before I could pour.

Poured into a pint glass to make sure there was enough room. Poured fine, nice thick head that bubbled away to leave a nice off white cap that stayed around but left no lacing to speak of. It was FULL of sediment, and I mean FULL!! The bubbles inside the glass were lifting globules off the bottom and then dumping them back down.

However, the smell was decent. Nice wheat based, orange rind, brewers yeast, and some spices lingering in the background

Tasted the wheat and yeast up front, then there was a nice linger on the tongue of fruit (almost citrus and cheerry) and then the spicey backlash. Alcohol hits upfront, but dissapates reasonably well.

Medium bodied, good carbination, never really noticed the sediment, but I did let this sit for a while.

Drank fine, good amount of ABV, so just had a 12oz. An enjoyable beer, just disheartened by the looks and waste due to over-foaming

2.73/5  rDev -26%

A clear lemon gold. A single finger white frothy head quickly falls to a thin cap then a bare ring. Tons of apparent carbonation. Tiny trails up the sides of my glass, and larger ones popping off the bottom.
Aroma is sweet honey with a slight funky mustiness. Bright citrus and light fruit notes.
Taste is a continuation of the aroma. Somehow it goes from pleasant honey and fruits to a funky bitter finish that coats the back palate with a harsh pithy/medicinal bitterness. Maybe that's the blend of spices, I don't know but it really kills the brew for me. There's alcohol there as well, which is slightly warming and dry but that's not the issue.
Light body with playful carbonation.

A decent brew wrecked by some weird finish. Don't know what's going on but the bottle seems fine every other way.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

One of my stand-by strong beers. I don't generally think of it as a stand-out tripel, but darn good. It deserves - given the esteem I have for all the stand-by beers I have - an honest to god review.

Pours... golden. Well, somewhat dark gold, with hints of amber. White head dissipates quickly, leaving behind little to nothing in the way of a ring and cap.

Candied light fruits to the nose, sweet but also sharp. Gets sweeter - with notes of honey - as it warms. A bit of an ethanol note, as well.

A couple of different fruit notes in the taste - white raisins, a bit of orangey citrus (hops?). Sweet, light malts - some biscuit. Hints of white pepper being the spice I can name, but this is a fairly spicy brew - I think I detected hints of cardamom. Slightly dulling and medicinal alcohol note towards the end.

Prickly carbonation - which is strong - gives way to some creaminess. Although the alcohol plays well as a part of the taste profile, it is too evident to make this that drinkable.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

An OK brew from Victory. I haven't been too hot for Victory after trying a number of their issues, but I thought I'd give this one a try. Seems to be their headliner. Two words come to mind right away after first sip: spice notes. Very spicy beer. It's good but not as good as an Allagash White or a La Fin du Monde. There's something a little off in the spice composition. Good if you're looking for something spicy and different, but I'm not buying again.

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle served in chalice

A: no head, gold orange color with slight haze

S: slight pilsner and musty aromoa

T: Hints of spice and fruit, mostly citrus notes. Malt and bitterness in good balance. As it warms more fruity esters come out, very little hotness for such a strong beer. Very short finish.

M: medium body, rich smooth feel with a slight slipperiness.

D: good for such a strong beer, very subtle for a spiced strong belgian. I would like to drink more, but I think that would be dangerous.

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: A hazy gold. Some sediment haze. About a one-inch head which didn't leave much lacing after it was gone. Was very fizzy at first.

S: Fruity and spicy with little alcohol nose. Kind of sweet smelling with a LITTLE bit of hops.

T: You can really taste the 9.5% ABV. Flowery and spicy like most Belgian styles, but I was surprized how much the alcohol came through.

M: Could use more balance. A bit much carbonation for the style. Tingles the gums a bit more than I was expecting.

D: Got better as it warmed, which is it's saving grace and why it's above average. I would still have it again, but I wouldn't necessarily go looking for it.

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

12oz bottle into a regular kitchen glass. I have not had this in years and decided to pick up a bottle to see what is what.

A- Golden monkey pours out a cloudy yellow color with golen highlights. Not exactly "golden" but i see where they are coming from. A sturdy pour lead to 3 fingers of frothy white head that looked bubbly. It died down eventually leaving spots of lace.

S- Getting some breadyness from this monkey along with some fruit essence with orange peel apple and banana. A hint of spice is also detected. The biggest killer for me though is the alcohol which you can't get around.

T- Starts off with a lot of fruits( apple, banana, orange) mixed with alcohol & alot of it. This was my biggest problem with GM years ago and nothing has changed. Some yeast initially as well. I'm sure hops are used but no direct taste for them in this. Spices such as clove and the like come forth with warming.

M- With the alcohol taking center stage this is not very drinkable. To bad because I believe that this has the ability to be a great triple if the alcohol was masked better. Medium bodied with some sweetness from the malts. Carbonation is ok. The fruit mixed with alcohol leaves for a weird aftertaste.

D- Not so much, the high ABV does not scare me, it's just that GM is difficult to drink. A nice warming from the heat on this cold snowy day so GM has that going for it. This seems to be pretty popular on the whole but it is not for me. So maybe I'm missing something?!?? I will try this again in another 4 years to again, see what's what.

1.93/5  rDev -47.7%

This is a B+ on BeerAdvocate? I really don't know how. With beer that has such a high ABV you need to do things to mask the alcohol taste.

This has a strong cutting taste that reminded me of something...something not good. The appearance is actually pretty nice but the party ends there. If you can finish one, there is no way you can finish another...

Cool bottle though.

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a golden yellow with a moderate head, pretty similar to a standard Belgian tripel. There is some obvious carbonation to it.

The smell is fruity and spicy and has a little alcohol in it. Up to this point there is very little complexity in either the sight or the smell of the thing. Actually I thought the smell was a little funky and not very pleasant.

I didn't find the taste particularly pleasant either. It's very light tasting, with nothing overpowering, with mild hints of the scents: fruit, spice, especially citrus-y in the fruit department, and I can taste the alcohol more than other reviewers have said.

Overall I don't think the Golden Monkey is really worth drinking with the ABV. I usually like Victory's beer, but I really haven't liked drinking the it in the three or four times that I've had it.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

Purchased a growler from Halftime.

Pours a golden yellow into my Gulden Drak Tulip. Nice creamy head that does not hang around.

Smells of sweetness and flowery.

Taste is intially sweet them some mild bitterness, it finished very dry.

A little to fizzy in the mouth for me but that is not so uncommon for this style.

A nice drinker and a good representitive of a Triple. High ABV does not make this a session beer.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Bright yellow color, semi-cloudy, two finger thick fluffy white head that faded slowly, lots of tiny bubbles rising

S- Lemons, yeast, bready, floral, hint of wheat

T- Floral hops, spicyness, herbal, yeast, sugary, bready, light malts

M- Light body, medium/heavy carbonation, bite of alcohol, dry finish, slightly fizzy

D- Worth trying

This is a bit more fizzy than I was hoping for but interesting flavors to say the least. Not an instant classic but still worth mentioning.

2.25/5  rDev -39%

Pours translucent gold. Lots of sediment lazily floating around and mutliple pillars of bubbles quickly ascending from bottom to top. Large bubbly white head with great retention and lace aplenty.

Strong apple juice and sparkling cider aroma at first pour. Settles into banana and clove scent.

Jumbled taste of sourdough bread tart versus lemon, banana sweetness all held together under the loving arms of yeasty clove spice. Pleasant alcoholic warming with finish. Mouthfeel is thick but ruined by snappy, abrasive carbonation.

I don't have a problem with the lack of complexity in this beer (relative to other Belgian tripels): I'm ok with a simple tripel. What bugs me is the lack of any real lingering flavors. All the flavors seem to come and go without leaving a lasting imperssion.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden yellow color, and has ample carbonation. An aggressive pour produces a white head.

Has a very sweet and Belgian like aroma. There is a strong spice and clove portion, that matches the intensity of the citrus and fruit portion. There is also a slight warming scent, from the alcohol.

For some reason, I don't think the taste does the aroma justice. In my opinion, this beer has a great aroma, and just a good taste. It is just off what you would expect from the aroma, fruity and spicey, cloves and citrus. There is an earthy tone that I wasn't expecting. There is also a strong warming presence of the alcohol.

Crisp and light mouthfeel. Ample carbonation. I can definitely see room for improvement here. I imagine the best are much different.

Definitely easy to drink, which could spell bad news for the unsuspecting drinker. The 9.5% ABV could easily catch up to you after a few of these. Still a good beer, just not one of my favorites.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured an apple-juice orange from the bottle with very little head resulting from an aggressive pour. The smell and taste are also full of apple on top of a pleasant tripel funk. In the finish is sugary malt, caramel, and light hops. The beer is medium-bodied and finishes dry. While the alcohol doesn't come through -too- much in the taste, I felt it to some extent. Overall, I enjoyed Golden Monkey more and more as I sipped on it.

2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured into a goblet.

2.0 A: Opaque yellow orange like a wheat. However, there is nasty coagulations present throughout the beer. One finger of loose head that leaves in a heartbeat. A little lacing.

3.0 S: It kind of smells like a macro blended with a decent tripel. Macro pungency with a tripel's attention to spices and clove. Then some yeastiness and some sugary malts.

2.5 T: Clove manifests itself well, but there is a strange discourse in this beer. First of all, it is way to bitter for a tripel. Caramel fails to mix into the brew well. Very strange take on the style. Alcohol is bity. Terrible lingering aftertaste.

3.0 M: Medium-heavy body. Not very smooth at all. Alcohol bites hard.

2.5 D: Easily the worst tripel I've ever had. What the hell is Victory doing? All of their other beers have been great or better.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company