Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

I got this in a growler at Whole Foods on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I think I like this even better than the bottle version. The difficulty is to drink a growler of Tripel fast enough before it goes flat.

Color is a perfect gold, carbonation is good at first but goes flat pretty fast. Flavor and aroma are perfect to the style.

I will get this as an american tripel alternative often.

Highly recommend.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into one of those fancy Sam Adams glasses.

Appearance - Nothing to complain about but nothing special either. I was expecting more for the price I paid but then again this is my first tripel. Barely any head, but I don't know if that is normal. It had beautiful lacing while drinking. But that lacing went away as quick as i drank it.

Smell - Definite banana smell from the head. The aroma is making me happier. After letting it sit, I still really liked the smell. It was subtle, but complex. Hints of bananas and nuts mostly. Everything was so intricate though. Judging the smell was hard for me.Trail mix would be the best way I could describe it. Pleasant, but not strong. Enjoyable although subtle. Very pleasant.

Taste - Very nice and good/strong wheat on the first small sip. Barely any hop-taste at all. I'm not sure if this is typical of this particular brew, but I liked it. Banana and citrus sweetness followed by brandy warmth without the burn. Very Agreeable considering the ABV.

Mouthfeel - As far as I know, I would call this thin to middle-bodied. When I drank it, I felt like I could chew on it, but only for a second. To me, it improved the flavor by being somewhat thick. Not enough to be called thick-bodied, but just enough. The carbonation was great. Not too carbonated, but just enough to enjoy. The beer sparkled in the glass and on the tongue, without being too carbonated.

Drinkabiliy - I would suggest bringing a 6-pack to split amongst friends, unless(!!!) if they don't like craft beers. This beer is more for the "snobs" than the Budweiser/Corona/Miller light crowd. I will surely make light work of this 6-pack, but I also like good beer. Cheers!

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a chalice of adequate size.

Head was small and a dark off-white leaving no lacing. Color is slightly orange-golden and clear.

Smell is cardamom, a bit of anise, bubblegum, orange and bread. Very well balanced such that no one scent is overwhelming.

Taste is like a strong pilsner. Bitter hops and sweetness with all of the scents carrying through. A nice full mouthfeel and heavy carbonation is the impression.

Very drinkable and reminiscent of the Sam Adams Hallartau Imperial Pilsner.

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Poured a golden orange with a thin head.

S: Interestingly nothing jumping out at me. Maybe a little sweetnees followed by a touch of alcohol.

T: A little malt, apple and clove.

M: Crisp and dry with a fair amount of bubbling.

D: Not my cup of tea.
Overall this is not one of my favorite styles and not one of my favorites from the style.

3.32/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: light, slightly hazy golden color with lots of apparent effervescence and a three-finger large-bubbled head. Head has very little persistence and relatively little lace.

Smell: sweet malt, pear, chalk and sour cherries. An interesting blend; quite intriguing. Can't wait to drink it.

Taste: taste is mostly of malt. There's a sourness to it which doesn't quite work in a tripel. Fruity notes are very subdued. It's not bad, but it's not what I'm looking for in a tripel.

Mouthfeel: medium body with some creaminess, but merely OK.

Drinkability: not a bad beer overall, but there are so many better tripels out there.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay glass. Bottled on what appears to be July 22, 2009. Comes in at 9.5%.

A-Pours a semi-opaque straw yellow. It has a one finger crackling off white head that does not shrink a lot. It leaves some nice lace.

S-Aromas of Belgian yeast, sparkling apple cider, banna, clove, spice and candy sugar.

T-It begins with a variety of fruit aromas. Apple is the strongest, but there is also lemon and banana flavor. It has plenty of Belgian yeast character. The clove used is noticeable, but not distracting. There is a touch of booze at the end. It is a little grainy in the back. I enjoyed it more when it was at a cooler temperature.

M-It is thicker bodied and well carbonated for the style.

D-A pretty good beer that masks most of the abv.

I haven't tried this one in over two years. I enjoyed it enough but would not let it warm up too much. Not a bad deal for the price.

4.82/5  rDev +30.3%

I remember the first time I ever had the Golden Monkey. I thought it was the worst tasting thing I've ever had. That was when I first started drinking the good beers. I forgot about the Monkey for a few years and just the other day I thought I would give it another chance. Damn Iove high ABV beers. It only takes a few to get the job done. The Monkey is one of my favourite beers now a days. Taste lacks a bit but the smell and color are gorgeous. Thank you Victory!!

3.62/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden yellow color with a ring of foam around the edge of the glass. Lots of yeast bits suspended throughout the beer.

Big belgian yeast smell with some zest. A little lemon and hint of overripe banana.

Much like the nose here. Clean with a moderate spiciness. Well hidden alcohol.

Feeling the warming sensation from the alcohol. Lots of carbonation to fill the mouth. Not quite medium bodied. Dry on the finish.

Fine enough tripel, but not in the class with big boys. Pretty easy to drink at this ABV. A nice american effort at a tripel, but I will pass on this one next time.

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%

A-Pours a light golden yellow with a one inch think white head that leaves a minimal lacing behind
S-apeppery sweetness scent up front with a slight alcoholic background with some banana maybe cloves blened in the background
T-very dry sweet taste which masks the presence of the high abv, the taste is much like the smell very good just not really powerful enough
M/D-very sweet and dry and rather light in body considering the abv and while it can get someone in trouble if they ignore the alcohol content is still seems rather lacking for a tripel so while it is a rather good and drinkable beer it just seems like a run of the mill tripel

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%

It has a murky yellow color.

Smells fruity. Smells of papaya and mandarin oranges. It's a pleasant smell.

This beer could be more flavorful. The taste is similar to the smell but you get most of the fruitiness in the finish.

Nothing special about the body. Medium bodied but on the lighter side.

The high alcohol content seems to be "masking" the potential flavors of this beer. I like it but it could be so much better.

3.47/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chalice.

A: Bright apricot, with sprightly carbonation and a fair number of particulates. A fizzy off-white cap retreats quickly to a ring at the edge of the beer. Leaves the faintest of lace.

S: Quite fruity from the aromas of pears and green grapes. There's a faint dose of spiciness in the form of coriander and clove. Alcohol adds a little heat.

T: Pretty mild, given the ABV. The fruit sweetness from the nose continues to dominate as the beer hits the tongue. A mild coriander, cinnamon and clove spiciness comes on to balance the sweetness. Alcohol aids the spices in providing balance, while also adding a warmth to the finish.

M: The mouthfeel is quite light and a bit sticky. Carbonation is on the low side.

D: I have to be honest and say that I was disappointed with this one. It's a nice beer, but not in the same ballpark as the best examples of the style. The light body helps it go down quicker than the high ABV would warrant.

A- great looking beer. honey golden color with thin white head and lots of combination

S- sweet fruity smell with banana note dominant. malts and spice faintly in there as well

T- sweet candy sugar, banana & spice. malty backbone is in there. alcohol becomes more evident as it warms

M- medium body with lots of carbonation all over the chalice.

D- something about this beer that makes it very drinkable to me. the abv is elevated but well-balanced and drinks well. every time I come across it, something makes me pick up a sixer (maybe its that monkey's eye staring me down).

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a clearish yellow, some sediment, fizzy white head. Smell: pale malt, pear, lemon, slight funk, windex. Taste: fairly boozy, pear, banana-ish, clove spice, again a touch of funk, and a little citrus peel and spicy hop character. Active carbonation, wheat fluffiness. Ok, but doesn't excite.

3.61/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Chilled 12 oz bottle, enjoy by Sep. 5 2011,

- Nice bright yellow and citrus orange color with a lot of white thick creamy head... semi cloudy, like a light bready west coast IPA... down to a nice bit of lacing.

- Banana, biscuit, breads.. pilsner-like hopping... creamy and sugary...

- Smooth and sweet... light touch of alcohol, but well masked by the banana bread of a yeast.. but overall not too complex... very simple, and mouth watering.. Touch of zest... spice, and clove... overall I like the balance.

- Medium bodied, and not too thick and creamy.... great carbonation for the style, and would age nicely I am sure.

- Quite drinkable and smooth, and certainly hides the alcohol very well. Little bit of a burning spice in the aftertaste... certainly an interesting and strong Belgian style.

3.52/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a cloudy, pale yellow with lots of yeast floating around in it. Started with a billowy 2 finger and demonstrated decent retention: still about 1 finger left after several minutes. No lacing to speak of.

S: Pretty sweet smelling and rather floral. Aromas of apple juice, pear, and yeast as well. Reminds me a bit of Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

T: I taste mostly yeast and pear with a slightly bitter finish. Some funk and citrus in there as well. Fairly clean and nothing spectacular, but not bad.

M: Lots of lively carbonation and a medium body. Pretty grainy from all the wheat and yeast in the flavor.

D: This is an O.K. Tripel. Flavors are a little subdued IMO and nothing about the brew really excites. Average representation of style + rather high abv. = not great drinkability. lf I'm going to get a little light-headed from one beer I want it to be damn good.

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. "This is a bottle conditioned ale." 9.5% ABV, Enjoy by Jan 29 2010.

Thanks to Sweemzander for this bottle!

A - Unfortunately when the cap pried off the rush of carbonation roused all the sediment making it impossible to pour without it. This left me with a partially hazy goldenrod yellow with a one-and-one-half finger, cloud white head. Decent retention and a half collar of lace left around the glass.

S - Crisp, dry wheat and pale malts provide a good base for the aroma. Over the base, a yeasty nose is pretty prominent with a citrusy-lemon squirt and a honey-draped biscuit. A little bit of spiciness is present too. No hops or alcohol on the nose.

T - Again, wheat and pale malts provide a good background for the other flavors. A lot of yeast imparted from the intrusive sediment also gives it a slight funk. The lemony citrus balances well with a low spice flavor that's subtle. An incredibly small hint at warm, spicy alcohol is on the finish.

M - Lively carbonation, responsible for the sediments rousal, is harmonious with the flavors and feel here. The citrus zest and spice give the tongue a treat. While it's lively, it's still a bit medium-bodied.

D - Not a bad triple! The sediment was a bit unfortunate but it's a solid beer that's well balanced and conceals the alcohol nicely.

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a white foam head that leaves a bit of lace. Lots of floaties in the beer even with careful pouring.

S- Ripe banana and apple aromas with a huge wave of Belgian yeast and alcohol.

T- Really brash alcohol burn with the first sip that I wasn't expecting. After a few more sips, the sweet banana and yeast flavors were predominate with some light spice and clove.

M- Light/medium bodied with fairly low carbonation for the style.

D- Seems like this brew had all of the right components for a traditional Belgian Tripel. Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to expectations.

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear, light gold/yellow color that forced up about a finger of alabaster head. Much of the head was short lived, though, and didn't leave a lot of lacing. Unfortunately, this kind of looks like the adjunct lager I had tonight. I can't judge it solely on that, though.

The aroma is of candied citrus, honey, bananas and pears, along with some spiciness. Very inviting nose with a strong scent.

Similar to the nose, I can pick out banana and other fruits up front, followed by the interesting array of spices. The alcohol content of the beer is surprisingly well-hidden. A little sweet though, with not a whole lot of complexity, in my opinion.

A light body with a moderate amount of carbonation, the beer starts fairly smooth and tingly on the tongue, then dries out a bit as it finishes. Not too bad.

Overall, a pretty drinkable tripel, my first of the style, though. The only thing that knocks this score down is the relatively high ABV. According to some of the other comments about this beer, there is better to be had, but this wasn't a bad showing for the first one I've tried.

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

A- poured into an Ommegang hennepin type class, golden color with a small white head, bubbles kept rising to the top

S-fruity with some yeast, bread dough, white wine

T-quite good, similar to smell with a slight alcohol aftertaste, has almost a white wine and citrus type flavor

M-good amount of a carbonation, which was nice with the higher alcohol content, i wish it was a little less carbonated, slightly thick texture

D-not a bad beer of the tripel style, it holds up well to chimay and other belgian brands but probably doesn't surpass them in quality, its enjoyable with a nice warming sensation from the alcohol bite at the end

3.14/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

As someone who loves Belgian beers and especially triples this beer is disappointing and problematic.

First we can start with the pour, regardless of what glass I've attempted to use I cannot get a good head out of this beer. The dissipation of the head is also very quick. I'm currently reviewing this in a snifter. The color is also alarmingly lighter in color then most triples. The first tripel I had was La Fin Du Monde and it seduced with its almost sensual orange glow. Golden Monkey however is straw colored, but not in the golden way Belgian pales are. Lacing is actually fair and soapy but still falls short for the style at hand.

You'd normally be aware to decant your beer properly to insure yeast sediment doesn't get in, however its hard to with this beer. Instead you get a very fine hazy sediment.

The typical clove and orange peel aroma is there with and a tad of Belgian yeast funk. The yeast, the spices and alcohol create a spicy aroma but one that clashes. Its almost akin to decomposing fruits.

As and mouth feel this beers a little light in the pants. Body is extremely light and flavors are really subdued. Belgian yeast, alcohol, orange peel and clove take center stage upon first sip and fade quickly to notes of grass and straw that shouldn't be as well as a solvent-like alcohol flavor. Those two flavors take the floor more then the spices and yeast.

Overall this beer tastes like more of an attempt to make a Belgian Strong Pale ale rather then a Tripel. Overall a decent beer but its clearly missing its style and not in experimental way. Just mediocre. In your local bottle shop spring for a 4pk or 750 of LA Fin Du Monde or Chimay. You're likely to find those.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

Golden Monkey
Victory Brewing Company
Style: Tripel
ABV: 9.50 %

I have fond memories of enjoying this brew while on travel for business after a long work day. Victory brews are currently not available in my area so I have not had this brew in 2+ years. It has been 2 years and 200+ reviews later before I finally got to step back and time and capture the monkey review. "kstrickler" was kind enough to include 2 of these in a trade, so I now get to formally review this memorable brew. Unfortunatley it is not as great as I once thought, as I have had many tripels since the Golden Monkey helped intorduce me to this style. But I have to give it the honor of being the second Tripel (Chimay was my 1st), and it's still one of my favorite styles to date...

3.0/3.0/3.0/4.0/4.0

Pale straw in color and more clarilty than most other Tripels. Small head that receded quickly with little to no lace. Visually noticeable carbonation.

Smells is sings a tune of a candy shop tour while hungover... The sugary spiced sweet aromas smell delicious, however it's a bit more boozy in aroma than I would prefer for a Tripel.

Tastes as it smells along with a light Pils like malt base. Noticeable Belgian yeast notes (spiced citrus, cloves) and a bold dash of boozyness. I would prefer the booze notes a bit more hideen in an "excellent" Tripel. This one is not bad, it's just not one of the best IMHO.

Mouthfeel is thin and semi slick. Medium+ Carbonation.

Drinkability is a 4.0. This is a good Tripel with a respectable yeast prescence in taste and smell. It could hide the ABV a bit more, and I would prefer a more interesting appearance, but overall okay rep for the style from Victory.

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in the victory mixed 12 pack. Golden Monkey pours a deep, hazy yellow with a towering head at first that turns into a wispy lace. There are flakes floating throughout the glass, with no settling of sediment whatsoever.

Aroma has a yeasty, orange pulp fruitiness to it as well as a variety of spices. Peppery, coriander, and maybe some other things off the spice rack. A bit of lavendar as well.

Flavor is herbal, warming, and spicy. Dry in the finish with a bit of a medicinal character. Sweet malt flavor, orange fruitiness, and some belgian, floral yeasty flavor. There is also an apple flavor, and combined with the spice of the beer it paired with apple pie really well.

The mouthfeel of this beer is the clear highlight. Dry in the finish with almost nothing lingering. Very more-ish. The alcohol is hidden incredibly well, and this is an enjoyable sipper.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Straw like color, little to no carbonation, no lacing in glass

S: Hints of Citrus on the Nose (Orange, Lemon) and bannana

T: Slight Lemon taste, a little bitter for a Belgian Style Trippel

M: Smooth

D: Drinkable beer, goes well with German Style Sausages

Another amazing beer by Downingtown, PA's Finest

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured froma 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Golden yellow with a small but noticeable stream of bubbles coming up the glass.

Bannana notes some spice and alcohol.

Taste of yeasty and low spicey intially. Bannana is there for sure some mellow hop bitterness as well.

Really coats your mouth good carb and medium bodied. Very high alcohol content would't drink more than one.

1.76/5  rDev -52.4%

Poured thick and golden, little or no carbonation, opaque. No head. Smelled slighlty sweet/sour with hints of citrus. Tasted like the inside of a homeless person's shoe stuffed full of hops and Lemon Pledge. Worst beer I've ever tasted. After forcing that first one down, I just kept it in the fridge and unloaded it on unsuspecting hop fetishists.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company