Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

The head starts out pillowy and white with at least some lacings as it falls away. It has a golden clear color to it that looks good. The smell is of sour fruit, like that found in Aventinus. There's nutmeg, plum, clove, and fig. The taste is light and nice with fruitiness and a warmth as it falls down the throat and the belly. The taste has a lighter fruitiness and has clove, fig, orange, and a little nutmeg in the finish, but not much. The mouthfeel is ok, but too carbonated and it doesn't have a smoothness I look for. Overall I didn't not enjoy this beer, but wouldn't think of having another right away.

2.55/5  rDev -31.1%

Straw orange in color, smaller off white head lasts as a partial film. Spicy aroma of coriander and pepper, it almost smelled a bit like corn. Some fruity aroma like apple juice, maybe a bit medicinal, and alcohol stings the nose. Spicy flavor, coriander and quite peppery, almost grainy as well. Strong alcohol in the taste as well, a bit too much, made the beer coarse going down, mouthfeel was not smooth at all, though it was a bit light and sparkling. A fair amount of fruity flavor and some yeasty/bready flavor, but not enought to smooth the beer out.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-big 2" white head that fades fast. Light golden clear color. As you get to the bottom of the bottle more it gets cloudier.
S- Bananas and maybe some european style hop. Also smell a bit of malt in there.
T-Bananas and european style hops. Not much malt flavor. Bananas are really strong in the taste. Bit of warming from the alcohol in the back of throat. Some spice also. It is fruity just can't really pin point more than the bananas.
M-Medium/full body, medium carbonation.
D- I'm not a big fan of fruity beers so this one was a bit to fruity for me but still was alright. I'm glad I tried it.

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Bottle dated Jun 20 05 from my cellar.

Poured a cloudy golden amber with two-finger head that rapidly subdued to a thin sticky film on top. Smell was minimal, but had hints of musty fruit. Taste was very sweet tropical fruit and raisins, with a nice alcohol warmth carrying through to the finish. Presence of hops was all but gone. Full syrupy mouthfeel. Preferred this cellared considerably more so than fresh.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured in a thawed out chilled glass (the bar did not have a single glass not frosted). Appearce is what I expected, decent head retention and a good amount of bubbles from carbonation. Smell is malty sweetness but with some spice. Taste starts sweet, but soon turns quite herbal and some nice spiciness. Mouthfeel is pretty good, enough carbonation but I could have probably done well with slightly less. Drinkability was docked a point because the taste was a bit harsh near the middle. Some alcohol quite noticable in the taste as well as effect. I may go for this if no other belgian is around, but only if it's on special. It's probably not worth what most places ask for it. At 2.25 down the street, I will probably try it again.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at Yardhouse in Glenview, Illinois. Served in a chalice.

Pours a slightly hazy golden, thick white head forms, great retention and sticky lace all over the glass. Smell is sweet, caramelly, alcohol and citrus through the middle, yeast, wheat, some honey as well. Taste is more or less the same, very sweet up front, wheat and alcohol, lots of citrus, yeast, very flavorful. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, some significant heat going down. Not bad, pretty different, not as subtle as most tripels, but enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a hazy straw color with a 1" white head. No head retention or lacing

S: Some yeast, bananas & fruittyness

T: Malt sweetness, banana peel. yeast & slight lemon. Finishes frutty & yeasty

MF: Thick, chunky & effervescent

Too many flavors dominate that I don't care for. Tripell isn't my favorite style, but this is lower echelon compared many others I've had

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottled November 21, 2002. Obtained via trade with a very generous Melbatoast. Wow, a cellared for 4 years brew is an extra? That's cool enough to make a penguin shiver.
Poured with just a hint of head. Body is aptly golden and inviting. No lacing. Nose is pineapple, spicy and evident of the alcohol this contains. Taste is more pineapple, a dollop of spiciness, pleasant alcohol, and what I can only describe as freshly cut grass. Very nice. Mouth is rich and velvety. Very smooth. The 4 years this one has had to mellow must have contributed a lot. I'm not a huge fan of this style, but dear lord I could drink a ton of these aged beauties

4.33/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a La Chouffe tulip snifter. Beer emerges golden (how weird) with a very tight looking, two finger head. Great retention and generous lacing as well. Beer is slightly cloudy with some yeasty particles floating about.

Aroma is wonderfully fruity. Banana and cloves are huge as well. Corriander spicy and just an overall spiciness to the beer. Black pepper emerges as well.

Spicy tasting as well. As a southerner, I love my spices. Very fruity tasting; light fruits such as banana and maybe coconut. Sweet belgian candi sugar is quite prevalent. Almost becomes cloying but toes the line very nicely.

Sampled this in bottle form and on draft and both are equally impressive, although I think I prefer the draft version overall.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a fine steamed glass. The liquid is a true bright gold and cloudy, with strong carbonation. The head is 3 fingers white and rocky, it seems to never fade.

The smell is spicy and way malty.

The taste is spicy malt.. BIG BIG Malt. And spicy like a Wit. Lots of sweetness and a bit yeasty.

The mouthfeel is right on, Coating thick, Good carbonation.

Drinkability is good for the style do not guzzle this. MK

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

12 oz bottle, Bottled 4/17/06

A: Pours golden with a small head. Lots of sediment suspended throughout.

S: Aromas of yeast, phenols, and a bit of spice.

T: Strong taste with the same qualities as the smell. Significant alcohol presence.

M: Thick and syrupy, almost like an RIS. Moderate to high carbonation. A very odd texture for the flavor.

D: This was the first tripel I ever had, long before I knew what a tripel was. I remember liking it a lot more then. Quite a disapopinting offering from Victory; I don't think I'll be buying this again.

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours just as the name states a golden color with 1 finger width white head and really no lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is fruity, also has a good deal of spiciness. You can also smell the alcohol.
T: Tastes of sweet fruit (pear, apple). Has a little apple cider hint to it.
M: Perfect amount of carbonation not too much not too little.
D: Wow, maybe I should have eaten a little something before drinking this because I fell all warm and fuzzy in the belly now!! Great smelling and tasting tripel, good all the way around. Would for sure have this again. I bet this tastes wicked good from the source on tap. Thanks to nlmartin for this one, you da man!!

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a peachy-orange color with a pinky-finger sized head that vanishes fairly quickly (by the time I walked from the fridge to the living room) leaving only an outline around the rim of the glass. Looks cloudy and I can only see a few tiny bubbles near the surface. It smells sweet and citrusy--maybe even like melon, but I'm not entirely sure. It doesn't taste as sweet as it smells--it tastes more like cloves. When I was a kid we used to make clove-studded oranges at Christmas--Golden Monkey tastes like those smell--if that makes any sense. Mouthfeel is good--smooth and lightly carbonated. I would drink a bunch of these if I wasn't such a lightweight. ;)

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

I had this beer many months ago, after a trade with another BA member. Now that I have moved south I'm finding how common place this beer is, although it’s not changing my opinion of it at all. Pours a hazy golden color with a head the diminishes quickly. The smell is just what a Tripel should be, with hints of spices and many sweet notes. The taste is huge! Very sweet and spiced as it goes down, with almost a honey finish to it. The taste and mouthfeel are just what they should be… dangerously easy to swallow, especially with 9.5% ABV!

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer pours a golden yellow coor with a slight orange tint. It has a thick fluffy off white head, with a slight orange tint. The head fades slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer has a grainy aroma. It smells slightly spicy. Cloves, coriander, and maybe orange peel. It has a slightly citrusy aroma. The alcohol content is slightly present in the aroma.

This beer tastes a lot like the aroma. It has a grainy flavor. It has an earthy yeast flavor also. The alcohol in quite present in the flavor. Spices and some citrus flavors are also present.

This beer is full bodied. It goes down smooth, leaving a grainy aftertaste. This beer is highly carbonated.

I doubt this beer would make a good session beer. It is high in alcohol, so you would need to limit your self. The flavor is quite aggressive also. Too many would not be great. One, however, is good. I will definately drink this beer again. It is a winner.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

A-Nice, hazy golden yellow color with an average fluffy head.

S-This being my first foray into this type of beer, the smell took me by surprise. Sort of a flowery, spicy aroma hit, followed by a fruity hop smell.

T-Starts with a slightly sweet malt taste, which gives way to a spicy, fruity taste. Then it leaves off with just a hint of bitter hops, and a bit of alcohol.

M-Nice medium body which has a nice dry feel.

D-Not exactly the smoothest drinker, its not that bad either. You can tell its a bit higher in ABV.

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

I've had this beer on tap and in the bottle. And both times I've thought the same thing: Duvel.
This is the best Duvel clone I've ever tasted. The only variance is a slightly thicker and spicier mouthfeel. Other than that, I's a toss-up. I'd drink either -- or both!

And I like Duvel. Much like Duvel.
So when I'm feeling like a Duvel and want to give my money to an American brewer, I buy a Golden Monkey. The triple do you good.

...and this is my "monkey tale"

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a pretty nice golden color with a nice white head that stays for the whole glass. Smell has banana, some clove, lots of breadiness, there seems to be some pepper-like spices. As it warms more, the smell has a sour apple and overripe fruit smell to it as well. Taste starts out with a combination of apricot and banana, moving into some clove and a spicy bread finish. Medium carbonation and medium to full body. Pretty nice, I would probably have this once and a while, worthy of a try.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Purchased at the UTOBEER stall in the Borough Market. BB 19/02/2006 (oops!!), consumed late by 6 months... Served lightly-chilled in a large Burgundy bulb wine glass.

A: hazy, dark orangey+honeyish golden in colour, using a force pour the beer head builds up to 1cm thick cap but rather frothy, slowly retreating and leaving very fine lacing; gently bubbly body.
S: fruit-estery fragrance upfront, showing mixed exotic fruits like pineapple+banana+tangerine+apricot, while an overwhelming flow of candy-sugar, cane-sugar juice, and sweet and dense, almost honeyish pale malts follow up and overwhelm the aroma; a strong hoppy scent of flowery hops, a deeper banana-oily yeastiness and coriander's refreshing spicy edge float in the air after a good swirl, adding more complexity to the slightly overly sweet forenote. The longer I smell it, the less sweet it becomes and a pleasant sour edge comes forward to take over. Nice!
T: lots of rounded-textured melted sugar, orange-candy, sweet lemon and dried apricot are coupled with a flow of ve...ry smooth, candyish pale malts, ensued by a faintly dryish-bitter edge of aromatic hops... quietly, a warming aftertaste takes over, slightly ginger-tea-ish and spicy at the same time while rediating heat-waves deep down the throat, just like what a liquor could do... although my palate craves for a longer after-taste instead of after-heat...
M&D: so...ft in texture and rounded in mouthfeel, the full-flavoured beer benefits from a relatively light body and an overall balance... well-crafted! This is the first Tripel I've tried that's made-in-USA, and not bad at all it is. Yet somehow the yeastiness hasn't been able to create a deeper complexity that is THE key to the success of this beer style. Even so I'm quite satisfied that I've tried it and feel really impressed with what this great brewery could achieve...

Pretty good beer for a Belgian style tripel brewed in the U.S. Pours a sort of cloudy, hazy golden color with a decent sized head and decent lacing too. Has a spicy and fruity smell. The taste is also spicy and fruity, but also sweet. The alcohol can also be tasted. Has a very nice smooth, frothy mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Especially drinkable especially when one considers the 9.5% ABV. Not the best tripel I have ever had, but pretty damn tasty indeed!

Eric

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I had heard many, many good things about this beer from multiple people, and having tried and thoroughly enjoyed other Victory offerings, I decided to try it on tap at Cobblestones in York.

Served in a stemmed glass, honey colored, with a half inch of fizzy head, which stayed along for the ride. The smell was fairly inviting, crisp and fruity. With the first sip, the front of the mouth really lit up, and I thought for a moment I would really enjoy this one. A strong rotten peaches aftertaste followed, along with alchohol. I don't see myself buying this one again, as I had a hard time finishing.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a hazy golden yellow with a small head and sparse amounts of lacing.

Smell was intensely spicy and fruity.

Taste was similar to smell. Fruity (peaches were noticeable) along with allspice and honey. At 9.5% ABV, the alcohol was hardly noticeable initially but a nice warming sensation could later be felt in the back of the mouth and the throat. Sweet, short lived aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was syrupy and the beer seemed to turn to a creamy foam once it hit the tongue.

Overall, quite flavorful, easy drinking and refreshing.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Did not produce the typical "Tripel" pour I expected. I lackadaisically coaxed a two inch head into my Belgian tulip. It was golden straw with a fair haze. The head did not last, nor did it leave any lacing. A beautiful stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass, however, did continue to the last sip.
It smelled aggressively spicy, a quality that I dig. The first taste hits me with its sugary sweetness. As it continues to warm, it grows ever more spicy and I don't know, tangy? After reconsidering my "favorite style" designation, I return to drinking. This will not be my last Golden Monkey.

On tap at the Victory brewpub. The beer was served in a chalis and poured a hazy straw color with a substantial white head that left solid lacing on the glass. The aroma of the beer has some strong yeast notes along with lemon peel and other citrus tones. The taste also had a strong yeasty presence but was also complimented by the citrus tones and a hot burn of the abv on the tongue. The body is medium to full and makes for a drinkable triple.

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Hazy straw yellow with a monsterous foamy white head. Clumps of sediment float in the brew. They are small but easily visible. No lacing.

S - Banana, lemon and allspice. Not too shabby.

T - Citrus (lemon), sweet (fuji) apples, coriander, cloves and white pepper. The aftertaste is mostly sweet and short lived.

M - A little harsh, slightly refreshing, thin bodied.

D - Drinking more than one of this would make me ill. It is a bit too spicy and sweet for sessioning. This is a fairly odd Belgian, but it tastes alright. I've had it before, but it's nothing I'll seek out. I will drink it if available though. Among those beers from breweries that don't specialize in a Belgian style brew, Golden Monkey is an above average Belgian, but when compared to the totality of Belgians, I'd say it is mediocre.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company