Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,706 | Hads: 5,161
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Mild smell, solid body, taste varied with temperature. I sense a funky tart aftertaste that I feel is a result of the high alcohol content. I prefer this beer at ~65 degrees f.

3.37/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pale golden, 2 fingers of white head with reasonable retention, highly carbonated
Smell: Yeast, bready malts and fruit
Taste: Pale stone fruit and bananas. Fruity esters all over in this one. Hot alcohol. Coconut. Liquid cement .Walnuts. Coriander.
Mouthfeel: Moderate body and high carbonation
Overall: 3.25

A very average beer that seems to only be popular solely due to its high ratio of alcohol to cost. I would hazard to say that this is the beer equivalent of a fortified wine like night train since it has a distinct booziness that really does not taste like it was naturally produced by the brewing process. I thought I would like this one considering I love a complex high abv beer, but this is simply not good enough to justify grabbing unless your primary consideration is getting as hammered as possible off beer cheaply. This is still worth trying at least once considering its popularity and availability, but I would be willing to bet anyone that has drank a wide range of beers would not consider this one a go to.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

355ml Bottle from Brewdog Online Store (£3.80):
Another really good beer from Victory Brewing here, probably the best one of the five I have now tried of theirs and it's not as if they've been feeding me poor beers up to this point. This one is incredibly well balanced and manages to hide the high alcohol very well with only a touch coming through towards the end of the taste. This one is excellent from start to finish and up there with the best that Belgium has to offer.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

poured from a bottle into a snifter at around 45 degrees Fahrenheit

Appearance (3.75): Pale golden color with a huge white head. Looks a little boring to me

Smell (4): yeast, bready malt, fruit esters

Taste (4): yeast, sweet malt, slight fruit

Mouthfeel (4): Quite light for the style; Slight bitterness

Overall (3.95) This lacks the full taste and body of a tripel. I find it light in all aspects. Could be a good starter tripel. It is a solid beer after all said and done, but not what i go for in a tripel. I much preferred Weyerbachers version

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This tripel is a bit of a conundrum for me. I certainly enjoyed it, but it lacked oomph. The spices promised on the bottle are not present to me, and that crucial tripel spoice is so important. There is also a lack of a yeast profile to my liking.

In spite of this, it is a nice beer. Tasty and smooth drinking. Pretty to look at and worth having another.

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a thick finger of creamy off white tight foam, body is a gorgeous hazy yellowy gold, decent light foam laces after each sip.

Smell - Big banana nose, lots of yeast, spices of sweet nutmeg and clove, some other light fruits coming through like sweet pears and fig, all along side a piece of warm fruit cake.

Taste - Much like the nose this could be summed up as a big slice of yeast forward spiced banana bread. Starts with lots of banana and yeast, spices of nutmeg, light clove and white pepper, I also get a good amount of ripe pear and some melon, like ripe cantaloupe and honeydew, and some faint white grape juice and light cherries. The finish is slightly dry with yeast cake and light spices. As another reviewer commented this seems to be missing a big rich breadiness that you somewhat expect from this style, but the fruits, yeast and spices are still done quite nicely.

Mouthfeel - A bit on the heavier side of medium, kept in check by some very smooth medium carb, which has some small champagne like carb crispness at the sides of the tongue.

Overall - Really a delicious beer, lots of banana and more spice forward than other tripels I've had. It's missing on the breadiness just a bit but I really like the flavors here - think spiced bananas foster. Alcohol is very well hidden so drink with care, this one could catch you off guard. A bit different for the style, but give this one a try nonetheless.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The label description on this American mass-produced product made me skeptical:
"rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing" -- an elaborate euphemism that it wasn't really a genuine Belgian style tripel? But the initial aroma that hit my nostrils and the first sip allayed my fears -- this could have been brewed in Belgium. Something distinctly redolent of Duvel (or perhaps Brookyln Local #1, perhaps the superior example of this genre brewed in America) immediately hit me. Admittedly the head was scant, and not particularly dense,but the lacing lingered plenty long enough.

This brew is immediately reminiscent of Brooklyn Local #1, Duvel, and Fin Du Monde, and maybe objectively lacking in certain respects to all of those (with maybe the exception of Fin Du Monde which tends to be so variable in quality), and yet, absolutely a thumbs up, with an anticipation to buy this beer again. And again. The things I don't like about it -- the taste that lingers on the palate (while writing this review say) is slightly bitter, oily, and vaguely reminiscent of bud lite. Also, this beer when ice cold is better than the dregs.

Someone below commented negatively on the so-so review of the Brothers. Some things I have to agree with the Brothers on:

"a cloudy golden colour topped with a thin white lace, but with pour [sic?] head retention"
"Floral, bready, a bit yeasty in the nose"

"A pleasing herbal flavour stretches the entire tasting experience. Malty sweet and very sugary (like golden syrup from England), with bread and yeast flavours"

"Quite the one dimensional beer actually"

" Is it a good beer? Yes it is, good ... but that's about it"

Well, what else do you want brothers? No question I will buy this again.

I do take exception though to the name "Golden Monkey", as there are no monkeys in North America. How about "Golden Retriever", the perfect dog, though perhaps maybe lacking, but on the label, surrounded by rays of light. I've drinken about 1 and 3/4 of Golden Monkeys now, so, maybe that clouds my judgment.

Edit: They must continue to make slight improvements to brews over time, as this is even a more refined beer than I remember it. I prefer this even over say, Duvel now. A truly American classic. Really more memorable than even Long Strange Tripel. BA needs to go back and revise their official reviews from time to time, as this beer is a heck of a lot better than just, "Okay".

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

I like this, but the alcohol is a little much. Nice yeast profile and maltiness. The hops are present in the beginning and then fade away to the alcohol bitterness and yeastiness.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Nice orange and yellow color. Has a weird smell but I like it. Smells like a hefeweizen. Nice and smooth. Spicy and good. Not my normal style but I like it.

Wife's Review: "More mild than I expected. I like it, but probably wouldn't have more than one."

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

Thank You Victory Brewing Company for creating this smooth golden concoction with a kick! NOT to sound like a total "LUSH" but it is nice to drink 2 or 3 bottles of Golden Monkey and still get the same "BUZZ" as you get from 6 or 7 regular beers. How did they get a beer with this much Alcohol (9.50% ABV) to taste this good?

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This beer! Pours the dankest golden yellow to ever fill a glass. Much like the color of urine when you're extremely dehydrated and perhaps have taken some Aleve or ibuprofen. Following the instructions and giving a vigorous pour to raise a foamy head , the aromas really opened . I also allowed it to slowly warm as I was mopping and bleaching the kitchen floor since my dog has some kind of bladder issues that make her eat dog food that makes her pee more, which is good for her but bad if you happen to have to work all day. One word: linoleum. Linoleum floors everywhere. And the taste is great . Very smooth.

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Having tried Dirtwolf and really liking this, I gave this a try. Poured out of a bomber, the color and aroma were awesome. A very flavorful beer -- very smooth, not a lot of bite and really tasty. I don't understand the overall BA rating at all. Much better than advertised.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Very tasty and cheap Belgian Style Triple. It's no where near the level of a Trappist Ale, but it's very good and strong for the $1.40 I can get it for at World Market during their 30% off Build Your Own Six-Pack sale.

I guess this is one of those beers that proves that different people can taste things very differently. I took one sip of this and couldn't believe how bad it was. I came here and looked it up and was surprised that it had so many good reviews. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I may try it again but I won't be going out of my way to find it.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

The golden monkey. Have heard mixed things about it. Here goes:

A: Very uninspiring. Pours a clear yellow (far clearer than most tripels - was this not bottle-conditioned or something) with a medium-sized head that disappears immediately. Little lacing, especially for a tripel. Not good. 2/5

S: Smell makes up for the appearance somewhat. Clove, banana, white pepper, various spices (extremely spicy beer), etc. However, the bready smell is somewhat lacking. I'm beginning to think that the beer is not bottle-conditioned despite being a tripel. 3.5/5.0

T: Taste is OK, but come on, Allagash, Unibroue and Weyerbacher all make much better tripels. No breadiness, but has banana, candied sugar, clove, coriander and an array of spices. Good on the spices, bad on the breadiness. Really should do a better job bottle-conditioning this beer. 3.25/5.00

M: Just OK. Again, lack of breadiness makes this tripel lacking. 3.5/5.0

O: Just meh. Really disappointing for its style. 3.25/5.00

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a rich golden color with a good lasting head. The aroma is dominated by cloves and other spices I can't quite pick out. The flavor is a decent enough balance of the spices and malt with hops in the background. Very dry finish. Decent carbonation and mouth feel. Overall a good effort if you like this style.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

I just picked up a 4-pack of Victory's DirtWolf IIPA only to find that someone had swapped one with a Golden Monkey. This was my first time trying Victory. Based on the reviews, I didn't have much expectation. However, I am very pleasantly surprised. This beer is incredibly balanced for being 9.5% in my opinion. Some reviewers are saying that it tastes very strong, I didn't find that to be the case at all. Sweet and creamy tripel. Paired incredibly well with spicy food.

4.95/5  rDev +33.4%

I don't understand why the bros reviewed this so low. They need to have another.

If you pay really close attention to each sip, the qualities kind of disappear - you have to just drink it and not think too much. You'll realize how good it is. It's got such a nice light (golden?) taste and feel, but it's also rich and flavorful - some spice and floral - especially the afterglow. Sweet the main thing for me. Virtually no hop bitterness.

A - Gorgeous pour.

S - Not strong, but not distracting or bad. I give it a five not because it was a perfect smell, but because for me it's not part of the experience - it's mild/neutral and doesn't detract from the drinking of it.

T - See above.

M - I guess I do like a bit more carbonation, but that's not really the thing with this style right?

O - Again, don't focus on each sip. Just enjoy it.

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served in a pint glass
Bright pale gold in the glass the head starts out about a finger thick and then settles to a fine film on the top of the liquid. The smell is quite yeasty at least that is the first thing I notice. Behind that there is a bit of banana maybe some lemon or citrus and finally some bready/wheaty malt. This beer starts out quite sweet, the malt comes through but it doesn't seem much more than a single dimension. There is some bitterness but just a touch and some peppery spiciness but again everything seems kind of muted and like it needs more. Some of the alcohol comes through in this one which I maybe expected for the style but that tied with the sweetness reducing the mouthfeel a bit for me. Overall I'd have to say that this is just so so maybe a nice attempt but I would have expected better from this brewer.

3.84/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden yellow color, fairly large fizzy head that fades at a quick pace but leaves a decent lasting cap afterwards, bubbles constantly rising from the bottom, no lacing on the glass.

Smell has a yeasty lemony aroma, touches of banana with a sweet malt backing.

Taste starts out with a strong Belgian candied flavor, lemon follows along with some coriander, carbonation is medium-high but closer to the high side, kind of explodes in your mouth and fills with foam, at first the alcohol is well hidden but with each sip it becomes more apparent.

Got this in a mixed pack, solid budget Tripel.

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a couple of singles from Total Wine back at the end of April for $2.29 per bottle. Best before 1-31-2017.

Beer poured golden with a thin wispy head that is hanging around.

Nose has classic Belgian esters, hints of apple and maybe some lemon.

Taste is coriander forward to the point where it overwhelms the base beer. Apple and lemon linger in the back.

Overall not a bad beer but no where near a classic Belgian tripel.

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Pours golden yellow with a two-finger head that lasts a few minutes and has a bit of lacing.

S - Quite mild. Aroma of a domestic Pilsner, with a little sweet added.

T - Not much character in this beer. Tastes very mild. A little sweet, a little pine, a little herb. ABV is well-hidden.

M - A little carbonation, but not a rich beer.

O - Belgian Tripels that are actually from Belgium are better than this beer. I was underwhelmed by this beer.

This American Belgian pours a luminous clear golden with thick white head that dissipates to thin white bubbles and light lacing. Smell of light fruit, apple, lemon, fresh bread, and sweet Belgian candy sugar. Taste is velvety smooth with tastes of crisp apple, lemon zest, Belgian yeast, a hint of clove, and loads of Belgian candy sugar. Warming and boozy up front and on the sides, sweetness on the aftertaste and throughout with a light white pepper coming through---not overpowering though. SOLID Belgian brewed in an American style. While the notes of this brew from the bottle are somewhat favorable I would challenge naysayers to try it on growler at cellar temperatures. I currently have this in the fridge in bottle form, but wanted to try it on growler before giving a review since I have had it before and loved the growler so much more for it's depth of character.

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Purchased at one of the local quick marts.

A: Slightly cloudy golden with an extreme amount of head. (too much) Moderate retention.

S: TONS of bread. Yeast and bread. Underlying floral notes and alcohol. Outstanding.

T: Bread, malt and slight fruit. A bit alcoholic as well.

M: A moderate richness that sticks. Fair bit of carbonation and smooth. That said, It's disappointing somehow? Hard to describe.

O: Love the smell. The flavor is also good. The appearance and feel prevent it from being great unfortunately.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company