Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
NJpadreFan

Victory- Golden Monkey

Since it's officially the "year of the monkey" I'll ring it in with a bottle of Golden Monkey.

Appearance- cloudy yellow/ straw with a super thick white head. The head disappated very quickly.
Smell- very fruity and spicy. Typical Belgium spice smell.
Taste- Way to fruity. Grapefruit citrus is overpowering and alcohol is too present, well at 9.5% I guess its hard to hide.

Overall- My first Victory beer is a bust. It's just to citrusy. I think I'm getting GERD because of it. A similair beer that is paletteable is Heavyweight's Lunacy.

01-22-2004 21:49:40 | More by NJpadreFan
DavoleBomb

Poured into a goblet.

2.0 A: Opaque yellow orange like a wheat. However, there is nasty coagulations present throughout the beer. One finger of loose head that leaves in a heartbeat. A little lacing.

3.0 S: It kind of smells like a macro blended with a decent tripel. Macro pungency with a tripel's attention to spices and clove. Then some yeastiness and some sugary malts.

2.5 T: Clove manifests itself well, but there is a strange discourse in this beer. First of all, it is way to bitter for a tripel. Caramel fails to mix into the brew well. Very strange take on the style. Alcohol is bity. Terrible lingering aftertaste.

3.0 M: Medium-heavy body. Not very smooth at all. Alcohol bites hard.

2.5 D: Easily the worst tripel I've ever had. What the hell is Victory doing? All of their other beers have been great or better.

02-18-2009 00:59:28 | More by DavoleBomb
DanL133

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours straw clear with some sediment flecks quickly dissapaiting head, little bit of lacing as it goes down. Taste is banana and kind of a yeast funk and alcohol. Has kind of a homebrew yeast taste. I was hoping for something better from this brewery and style.

02-08-2012 02:58:32 | More by DanL133
klewis

12 oz bottle, Bottled 4/17/06

A: Pours golden with a small head. Lots of sediment suspended throughout.

S: Aromas of yeast, phenols, and a bit of spice.

T: Strong taste with the same qualities as the smell. Significant alcohol presence.

M: Thick and syrupy, almost like an RIS. Moderate to high carbonation. A very odd texture for the flavor.

D: This was the first tripel I ever had, long before I knew what a tripel was. I remember liking it a lot more then. Quite a disapopinting offering from Victory; I don't think I'll be buying this again.

08-13-2006 22:06:37 | More by klewis
inthebeeraisle

Oregon

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a normal pint glass.

A: Some significant lacing from not much head, and quite active carbonation. A deep golden color.

S: Floral spice aroma that is got a little bit of an off putting adjunct lager aroma. Still a lot going on though.

T: Warming alcohol with a bit of bitterness. Definately a belgian yeasty flavor there. Lacks much of any spice characteristic.

M: A denser mouthfeel then some other Tripels I've had. I'm fine with a boozy beverage as long as there is something else there. This misses.

O: Not a beer I'll be going back too. I've loved some other Victory Belgian style beers before, and this one didn't match my expectations.

05-19-2011 21:23:35 | More by inthebeeraisle
batsdc

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

A friend highly recommended this beer to be but in the end I was disappointed. The color was a nice light yellow color, with a nice white head on top which soon disappeared. The taste was what turned me off the most, almost too strong of a wheat taste for me.

To me the more subtle fruity flavors were overpowered by the wheat taste, which while not a huge problem also left me wishing it had a more even taste overall. At the same time it isn't a bad beer, the ABV is nice and it is decent overall it just could be better.

06-29-2010 19:51:22 | More by batsdc
curasowa

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

Appearance: Golden yellow color with over two fingers worth of head that fades slowly with chunky lacing.

Aroma: Sweet, toasted malt mixes with yeast and a slight grassy aroma. Also some clean, lemon notes as well.

Taste: Sweet, almost syrupy upfront before some craziness starts. I can't really place everything that's going on. It's astringent, phenolic and a bit yeasty as well. The finish is a little lingering and mostly phenolic.

The Rest: Wow. I don't know if this is a bad bottle, but there is some definite funk going on here. The best way I can describe it is that it tastes like it was fermented in a plastic bucket. Not Victory's best showing.

11-23-2011 00:31:34 | More by curasowa
beerhan

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

750 mL bottled September 2009.

*I once enjoyed this beer in my early days of craft but I am now getting a chance to review it. I realize now I enjoyed it only because its easy to drink a lot for a quick buzz.

One of the most hideous beers I have ever looked at. After popping the cork I saw a terrible display of yeast that does not look appetizing at all. It does however have a nice thick head that stays.

Smells like clove, mixed spices, lemon and bananas. uggh.

Tastes very spicy and clovey and all around not that good. There is some Belgian yeast but it is masked by whatever the hell was added to this beer.

The carbonation is pretty nice and feels great except for the fact that it shoots the yeast up. I have no idea what was up with this.

Overall, this is a fairly drinkable beer for its percent. I personally do not recommend having more than one because too many is a bad hangover waiting to happen, trust me. It is a nice beer for the inexperienced drinker but one I do not plan to touch again.

03-16-2011 04:34:19 | More by beerhan
skibumma70

Smells of spices, bananas,cloves
Appearance, hazy, very light head that went away quickly, very little bubbles or carbonation. Very surprised considering many people reported heavy carbonation and thick head.
Taste of belgian sugar, light, but almost flat tasting.. Disappointing..
Mouthfeel was on the flat side, but not completely.. A bit sugary..
Overall I was very disappointed,, I love all of the Victory beers I have tried so far, and this was the worse by far. Maybe it was an old bottle I got, or hope that is the case. Surprised because of the all the other good reviews.

09-05-2011 00:40:24 | More by skibumma70
spanky167

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

I was very excited to try this beer. I heard some good reviews and was told it had the price tag to go along with it. After trying it I was let down. The taste was very bold but muddy. The flavors sort of jumbled together. I struggled to finish the bottle. It could just be my palate, but this one will go in the "once is enough" category.

01-30-2009 20:49:03 | More by spanky167
riversider76

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a cloudy golden. reminds me of a wheat. Not much of a aroma. I was not impressed with this beer. It had a bitter finish that I just did not care for. The initial taste was ok,but the finish just left a bad taste in my mouth. i did not finish th bottle. I would not buy this beer again. I guess I'm in the minority here.

09-04-2005 00:35:19 | More by riversider76
LordofTime25

Iowa

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a cloudy yellow with floating particles and a thin head that laces nicely.

A spicy aroma was present and also something kind of off putting a bad smell.

It was kind of earthy and citrusy. Mellow with a hint of alcohal.

Medium thick brew that coats the mouth slightly.

Not big on this brew.

02-10-2009 03:56:51 | More by LordofTime25
Snowman95

Tennessee

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer has quite a high gravity and is therefore expensive to buy, but I have to say that it isn't worth the money. The beer looks good in a glass and has a pretty good head on it. Comparing it to the Belgian style beers I have had, it lacks in taste. The main interest of this brew seems to be high alcohol content as opposed to an excellent taste. The mouthfeel is a little too carbonated for me, but I beer is the only carbonated beverage I drink so this might be something to which I am especially sensitive. Overall, this beer is decent, but I will certainly pick up something else the next time I visit the liquor store.

11-12-2013 03:06:12 | More by Snowman95
clvand0

Kentucky

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer pours a cloudy golden color with a small white head that leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is spicy and full of citrus notes with a little sweetness. The flavor is spicy and a sweet citrus. I did not like the taste, as the one I had was very sour and unenjoyable. Usually I like Victory products, but this one didn't do it for me.

10-26-2004 13:50:01 | More by clvand0
dfried

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

Straw orange in color, smaller off white head lasts as a partial film. Spicy aroma of coriander and pepper, it almost smelled a bit like corn. Some fruity aroma like apple juice, maybe a bit medicinal, and alcohol stings the nose. Spicy flavor, coriander and quite peppery, almost grainy as well. Strong alcohol in the taste as well, a bit too much, made the beer coarse going down, mouthfeel was not smooth at all, though it was a bit light and sparkling. A fair amount of fruity flavor and some yeasty/bready flavor, but not enought to smooth the beer out.

09-02-2006 03:16:23 | More by dfried
ScubaStevebcd

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

Look: Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass: light amber color, mostly transparent but a bit cloudy from a very high amount of yeast floating around. Big head, but it dissipated very quickly, and not much lacing.

Aroma: Smells fruity, with a very strong note of spice. Just a little bit of hop can be sensed as well.

Taste: Smooth right off the bat, but that ends very quickly. A fair dose of hop hits you pretty quickly. Not overpowering, but enough to let you know it's there. Definitely a little spice, but then you can start to note the alcohol. Its masked better here than with some tripels I've had, but it's still definitely there. Kind of a harsh beer overall, and not in the good "damn that has a lot of flavor" way. More like the "damn whats the ABV on this?" kinda way.

Overall: Not a bad beer, but not a very good one either. Drinkability's fairly poor, and it definitely didn't live up to my own expectations. As sipping beers go, its just ok, but I don't see myself drinking more than one or two in a night.

As far as drinking it again: I've had better tripels. I'd probably try to find those first.

10-17-2009 17:43:51 | More by ScubaStevebcd
dustylong

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a light amber color with little carbonation (poured from a bottle into a snifter). Almost no head, little retention and virtually no lacing. Has a fairly "spicy" smell to it, with some hints of banana. Smells very alcoholic (with good reason, I guess). Fairly mellow taste, considering the style. Bread-like. Spicy, and banana tastes to match the aroma. Very malty. A pretty heavy mouthfeel. Again, very alcoholic. Definitely a sipping beer. Overall, a decent beer, but not very impressive, especially for the style.

07-26-2007 05:43:11 | More by dustylong
micahgoldfus

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured an attractice, hazy, thick, golden color, but with a bit of a small, dull head. The smell was pleasant: plenty of sweetness, with orange, honey, maybe even some berries in there, plus yeast, spice, bready notes, and a touch of light hops. I was excited to give it a try, but the taste dissapointed. There was the usual cast of character: the yeast, orange peel, banana, pale malts. But the tastes that I took away from the beer were the alcohol and the sweetness. The beer did not do a good job of masking the alcohol, making it as the dominant flavor, leaving a dry, metallic aftertaste in my mouth with each sip. If anything, they tried to mask it with sugary and fruity flavors, but the beer just came off as syrupy, especially with its pseudo-thick mouthfeel. I usually enjoy triples, and I think that there are plenty of better examples of this beer out there.

07-22-2008 20:26:40 | More by micahgoldfus
jadpsu

Georgia

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Appearance: average ... a cloudy golden colour topped with a thin white lace, that has less than average head retention.

Smell: Aroma is not to my liking as I am getting gloves, and when I get cloves, it seems that nothing else comes through.

Taste: OUCH! Does the brewmaster have a love affair going with gloves! Man that is not good.
My dislike of cloves probably means I should just disqualify myself from rating this beer.

Sorry, I will do it anyway and since I can't get past the heavy cloves I will just say the rest of the beer is not up to average.

Hey, it may not be fair but I can not believe the brewmaster leaned so heavily on the clove spice. Gives me a headache.

11-02-2010 23:43:55 | More by jadpsu
BARFLYB

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

12oz bottle into a regular kitchen glass. I have not had this in years and decided to pick up a bottle to see what is what.

A- Golden monkey pours out a cloudy yellow color with golen highlights. Not exactly "golden" but i see where they are coming from. A sturdy pour lead to 3 fingers of frothy white head that looked bubbly. It died down eventually leaving spots of lace.

S- Getting some breadyness from this monkey along with some fruit essence with orange peel apple and banana. A hint of spice is also detected. The biggest killer for me though is the alcohol which you can't get around.

T- Starts off with a lot of fruits( apple, banana, orange) mixed with alcohol & alot of it. This was my biggest problem with GM years ago and nothing has changed. Some yeast initially as well. I'm sure hops are used but no direct taste for them in this. Spices such as clove and the like come forth with warming.

M- With the alcohol taking center stage this is not very drinkable. To bad because I believe that this has the ability to be a great triple if the alcohol was masked better. Medium bodied with some sweetness from the malts. Carbonation is ok. The fruit mixed with alcohol leaves for a weird aftertaste.

D- Not so much, the high ABV does not scare me, it's just that GM is difficult to drink. A nice warming from the heat on this cold snowy day so GM has that going for it. This seems to be pretty popular on the whole but it is not for me. So maybe I'm missing something?!?? I will try this again in another 4 years to again, see what's what.

03-02-2009 22:35:20 | More by BARFLYB
afksports

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Oh boy. Smells like alcohol.

I'm sitting here sharing a 9.5% alcohol beer with my roommate, listening to him talk about his job while reviewing this beer. Fear not, Golden Monkey, I will give you a fair shake.

You, Golden Monkey, are golden looking.

My roommate says it tastes like "shimmy" (Chimay).

It's definitely a Belgian style, but there's not that estery thing they speak of... No citrus, no spunk. The yeast is ok, but the thrill is gone from this spiced tripel that just smells and tastes like alcohol. Maybe something on a tree too, bananas? Monkeys? But bottom line it's not good.

Starts sweet, moves to malty, ends with alcohol, it's like a weak and bad shot.

It does fill the mouth though, and it's easy on the eyes, but I am not impressed. Golden Monkey, I'm talking to you.

07-14-2011 01:52:35 | More by afksports
danielsonc

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

The overall smell of this beer was an overpowering amount of banana smell. After a couple of swishes around the glass and a sniff you could smell way too much sweet banana smell with a hint beligian hops. The appearance was a light opaque yellow with little bits of yeast granules leftover. The taste, for me, was too sweet. There were subtle hints of a typical belgian beer but with overpowering amounts of sweetness. As a blonde tripel I understand that it's supposed to be sweet, but I don't like when the sweetness overtakes the entire beer.

04-17-2011 00:01:08 | More by danielsonc